main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ani/Ami Databank 2.0 - Index and Discussion for A/P Fics

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Ani_and_Ami_index, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    Hey people. I just caught up reading on this thread. This was really a great idea. Please don't let it die! :(

I wanted to know (for no particular reason of course [face_whistling] ) if you archive V/P stories as well as A/P stories.

2. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Bringing this up in hopes of reviving the thread and the challenges! [face_batting]

3. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    *coughs* Well, I'm just getting back into the swing of the boards. And I have no idea where Anakins_Force or TNSPredsFan is...

But yes, I agree. This thing needs updating....

I wanted to know (for no particular reason of course ) if you archive V/P stories as well as A/P stories.

Of course! He is Anakin, after all. In a weird, twisted way, but still... *grins*

4. TNPredsFan

TNPredsFan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    Still here, Jen. :) Real life has kept me captive for awhile, but I'm ready to get back in the swing of things again.

5. YellowDart

YellowDart Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2005
    I am posting this with both the mods? and Anakins_Force?s permission.

I don?t post much, but I am both a writer and avid reader of Anakin/Padmé fanfic, and I would like to introduce www.padanifanfic.com, the Pad-Ani Fanfic Archive, currently home to 44 wonderful stories. Since its inception less than a week ago, I have received 42 stories (2 are my own), and I am very pleased with the way the archive is developing.

When I first came to the Star Wars fandom from the Lois and Clark fandom, I was immediately struck by the fact that there was no archive that is a repository for all completed stories like the LnC fandom has at www.lcfanfic.com ? possibly the most comprehensive, best-run fanfic archive I have ever seen in any fandom. All LnC authors, when they finish a fic, automatically send it to the archive where readers can have their choice of over 2,700 stories.

I want SW readers and A/P fans to have that same luxury. Almost since I first became obsessed with Anakin/Vader and the A/P relationship, I have dreamed of setting up an archive for *all* finished stories about Anakin, Vader and Padmé and the general A/P or V/P relationship.

The TFN archive is an amazing resource, and I do have both of my finished stories archived there, but first, it houses far more than just A/V/P stories, and, also, it is ?judged,? where certain stories are excluded on the basis of a subjective system. Their purpose is to showcase talent in a fanzine format, while my goal is to have *every* A/P, Anakin, Vader, and Padmé story archived in one place (other characters are welcome, but A/V/or P must be the central character). Part of the reason I set this up is entirely selfish ? I only like to read complete stories and I am completely A/P obsessed (I don?t care to read about anyone else and have only seen TPM and the OT movies once each and have never read any of the EU or post ROTJ or Before TPM books . . . I am purely a AOTC-ROTS fan ;)), and I hate sifting through the mass of stories I am not interested in both here and on the TFN archive. Also, I wanted a place for *all* authors to be able to have their stories archived.

For someone like me, who is very picky about my stories and only read finished A/P or V/P stories, it is very annoying to sift through the countless stories with other characters or 'ships and to look even harder for finished fanfics. So, almost since I first became an active SW fanfic reader and writer, I have dreamed of opening a fanfic archive similar to www.lcfanfic.com only with fanfic about the A/P and V/P romance (stories starring Anakin, Vader or Padme are all accepted, as long as they do not 'ship with anyone else, the romance need not be paramount). So, after a year of talking about it, I finally decided to a. learn HTML and b. put my archive idea into action. I am still a relative HTML novice, so the top graphic looks slightly weird on firefox, but looks good in IE when the window is maximized.

The archive has just three major restrictions, with no room to argue on any of them.
    1. Rating ? all stories must be PG-13 and below. I am a law student, and I know that fanfic is a very gray area of copyright law, and if I want to take the state bar exam ? or the patent bar ? if I am caught hosting this archive, the higher ratings could hurt my ?moral character? and make me seem even worse than just hosting the archive would.
    2. Romantic ?Ships ? while stories archived do not have to be romantic in nature, if Anakin/Vader or Padmé is romantically involved with anyone, it *must* be A/P or V/P. This is just a very strong personal preference on my part. I feel so strongly that those two belong together that I will not host any story with an alternate pairing ? even if A and P do get together in the end.
    3. Finished stories ? all stories must be complete. Stories that are parts of series will be accepted, but WIPs will not.

Also, songfics are another gray area. I am worried about copyright law, so fics that are basically the lyrics of the song with story between the stanzas are not per

6. Pallas-Athena

Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 4 VIP

Nov 29, 2000
    Awesomeness on the A/P fic archive. 'Tis about time. I don't think I'd have anything completed, or I'd submit it ;)

And my poor thread! Did you die, baby? :_|

7. YellowDart

Jun 26, 2005
    This thread really is dead. :( I had hoped my post would enliven it at least a little bit. I really liked the challenges here - even if I am not a fast enough (or clever enough) writer to write for them, I loved reading other writers' creative responses.

8. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    *passes tissues*

Things do seem to be dead around here... what a pity. Couldn't we come up with something that a lot of people could do for fun? Like a roulette challenge or a specific theme challenge?

9. Star_Angel

Star_Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2006
    Love that idea and if you do then I?m going to try and participate. I really wish that this thread would rise from the grave.

10. Daenarrah

Daenarrah Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 12, 2005
    I love to see another challenge of some kind, a fall one or something. I'm wondering how a roulette challenge would work here. They've proven to be fun to write for other character challenges. Here though would it be a roulette of different..oh I don't know, careers, situations that focuses around the two of them? Bah, maybe I'm thinking too much about that, but I find my mind wondering about it.

11. Star_Angel

Jan 18, 2006
    I have find my mind wandering of about that as well, it would be interesting to see what kind of roulette challenge would work with these two[face_thinking].

12. YellowDart

Jun 26, 2005
    What if it was some kind of quotations roulette or a song title roulette or something like that? Instead of giving different careers or soemthing, just let the author work from a theme?

13. Star_Angel

Jan 18, 2006
    I love that idea, and coming up with songs that fit into Anakin/Padmé possibly Vader/Padmé is easy, sometimes it feels like every song that I hear can be connected to them.

14. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    Well what about mix-match scenarios? We could have a :p Dark Anakin & Dark Padmé story; a non-Jedi!Anakin/Canon!Padmé scenario; a Jedi!Padmé/politician!Anakin; a married (but not to Anakin) !Padmé/Canon!Anakin scenario...

Then we could do theme specific scenarios e.g. 1st meetings: episode 2 era, original trilogy era, etc.. There are also quote-based roulettes, etc...

15. YellowDart

Jun 26, 2005
    You might get more people willing to write the stories for the challenge if it was more free-form. I know that I, for one, have trouble writing Padme (or Anakin) married to anyone else or Padme as a Jedi. Giving a general theme gives the writer more creative license.

16. Star_Angel

Jan 18, 2006
    I love reading/writing Padmé as a Jedi. Then if Anakin is a Jedi or a Sith, preferably a suitless Vader,=P~ yummy, make things more interesting;).

Besides I love AU?s where I can make sure that Padmé does not die.

17. VA_Parky

VA_Parky Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2005
    If I can find the time (growls at DRL), I would love to participate. This is a great thread - I don't want it to die! *stomps foot*

18. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    Well what about mix-match scenarios? We could have a :p Dark Anakin & Dark Padmé story; a non-Jedi!Anakin/Canon!Padmé scenario; a Jedi!Padmé/politician!Anakin; a married (but not to Anakin) !Padmé/Canon!Anakin scenario...

Then we could do theme specific scenarios e.g. 1st meetings: episode 2 era, original trilogy era, etc.. There are also quote-based roulettes, etc...

19. YellowDart

Jun 26, 2005
    That is exactly word-for-word what you posted just three posts above. If you feel that strongly about it, please, do it your way.

20. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    Sorry! I didn't double post intentionally. :) ?Anyway, as much as I'd love to see any activity on this thread, it'll be up to the thread hosts to start a challenge/discussion/game, etc... I'm just offering suggestions. :)

21. VA_Parky

VA_Parky Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2005
    Yes, it's great to see some activity on this thread!

I'm quite intrigued by the idea of a quote roulette, leia_naberrie. Hmmm... [face_thinking] Guess we'll have to wait and see.

*pitches tent* S'mores anyone? :D

22. Daenarrah

Daenarrah Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 12, 2005
    I'd love to see something like this. I really like the idea of mix-match scenarios, as well as the theme specific ones. I really enjoyed placing the two of them in different scenarios for their own respective roulette challenges. The idea of mix and match Anakin/Padmé has me really excited now. I'd love to see something like choosing from an anonymous list like what you listed above, leia, and we write something for it. Then we could move on to the same thing with the theme specific ones.

True, all this has to be approved by the thread managers and hope they go for it. Hey, it'll show we've been brainstorming. ;)

From what I saw above, Anakins_Force and TNSPredsFan are the thread mangers. Anybody know where they are?

23. YellowDart

Jun 26, 2005
    Since the thread owners seem to have disappeared (I know Anakins_Force has moved on . . . I am not sure about the other two thread owners), maybe we should think about starting a new Anakin/Padme challenge thread. I would be happy to set up an A/P thread for discussion and challenges if this thread really is dead. :( I would be more than happy to run an A/P thread here.

As for the A/P index . . . it will be sad to see it go, but authors with finished stories about Anakin, Padme, or Vader could send them to submissions@padanifanfic.com and I will be more than happy to put them into my archive. It would be significantly less work for the thread owner here if the authors themselves were responsible for sending their finished stories to be archived in one place.

24. musingmiyu

musingmiyu Jedi Master star 1

Aug 5, 2006
    I love Padme and Anakin stories... I'm just posting to say that, if there are any challenges, I'll gladly join in the fun. :)

25. Pallas-Athena

Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 4 VIP

Nov 29, 2000
    All right, if the new indexers aren't back here soon, I'll try to pick up the pieces and see if I can't get the ball rolling again. Discussions and challenges will be easy enough to fix, but, as YellowDart said, it will take a lot of effort to get the index back in shape. I spent hours setting that thing up originally and it's more than a little heart breaking to think that it all might be for not, but, on the same token, I can't commit to doing the amount of work it would require to update it right now (probably won't for a very long time).

Any suggestions as to what should become of this thread and index are not just welcome, they're needed. Any volunteers for anything are also welcome to step forward, so I know the interest level in bringing this thread back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.