main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ani/Ami Databank 2.0 - Index and Discussion for A/P Fics

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Ani_and_Ami_index, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    I'm willing to help.

For the index, I'll suggest an open call to everyone who's written an A/P or V/P to PM the sock with the necessary details.

2. slow_dawn

slow_dawn Jedi Master star 2

Apr 18, 2006
    Okay, so this question might have an obvious answer but, is/was this the thread for general A/P ship discussion as well as challenges?

3. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    All 3: index, challenge, and discussion.

4. Pallas-Athena

Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 4 VIP

Nov 29, 2000
    Yep. The way this thread was set up to work was that there would be a discussion topic issued once a month or so depending on interest (ie more discussed topics might stay on longer while less discussed shorter). But this thread has always been open to general questions, ideas, plot bunnies, etc that anyone desired to bring up. If this lead to a full on discussion, no one would stop it ;)

5. slow_dawn

slow_dawn Jedi Master star 2

Apr 18, 2006
    Right, thanks for the info.

This is more of an opinion, but I'd like to see the discussions back up again, if nothing else. If I'm able to, I would be interested in helping as well.

6. Anapad Nabooine

Anapad Nabooine Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2005
    I hope you don't mind me bumping simply because I like this couple and envision so many fanfic possibilities for them - many, many of which have already been posted by talented writers here in TFN. :)

7. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    Bumping.

Maybe we should start thinking of a Databank 3.0 . :(

8. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    leia_naberrie posted: Maybe we should start thinking of a Databank 3.0 :(

I'm with you on that l_n. I'll pm the mods and see what they say/approve.

9. YellowDart

YellowDart Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2005
    I would like to be part of a new A/P thread, too, like I said above.

PS: AP writers, if you would like your finished stories archived, please check out the Pad-Ani fanfic archive (link in my sig), and send your stories to submissions@padanifanfic.com. :)

10. Pallas-Athena

Nov 29, 2000
    If you'd like to start a new thread, I suggest you PM the current maintainers and get their approval as well as the sock's password. You may want to continue using this thread, or, at the very least, lift the coding for the stories already indexed so that you don't have to start from scratch. I still have the password for the photobucket account; I can give that to you once you've worked everything out with the mods and the maintainers.

Please don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions or anything, though it's been long enough since I gave up running this thing that I don't remember too much about it. ;) I really hope that someone can get this thing running again :D

11. YellowDart

Jun 26, 2005
    Okay, I think we need a new thread. I am volunteering to start and manage a new thread. I am not sure who the current owners of this thread are, but I know Anakins_Force was a manager here, and she was my master, and she has subsequently left the fandom. I am pretty sure she would be happy with a new thread starting.

Do I need to contact a mod to start a new thread?

12. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    You don't necessarily have to, but it might help to contact one. :)

13. Pallas-Athena

Nov 29, 2000
    Okay. All of the maintainers haven't even logged in in the past month. Luckily, they didn't change the email on the account and I was able to recover and change the sock's password. PM one of the mods, yeah - I suggest VarderLVR, since she's the most familiar with this thread - and tell them that you want to start a new thread, and that the sock will be in your name. When you get mod approval, I can PM you the password ;)

I'll also PM the last maintainers to let them know, if any of them log back on :)

14. YellowDart

Jun 26, 2005
    Okay, I got approval to start a new thread. :) I don't think I am going to use the sock. Check the resource board soon for the new thread! :)

15. Ani_and_Ami_index

Ani_and_Ami_index Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2004
    Hello, all. This is Pallas-Athena.

control of the index has passed back to me. I love this index. It's one of my babies and I want to see it flourish. In this vein, I'm hoping to revamp it.

If you'd all be so kind as to answer a few questions to help me figure out what the new index should be like. Mind you, you don't have to answer all the questions; they're just guidelines.

Would you prefer a new thread be started or the old one kept?

How necessary do you feel an index is to an A/P thread?
    (absolutely essential, essential, pretty useful, useful but not necessary, unnecessary, a detriment)

How necessary do you feel discussion topics are to an A/P thread? (absolutely essential, essential, pretty useful, useful but not necessary, unnecessary, a detriment)

How often should new discussion topics be posted? (weekly, biweekly, monthly, bimonthly, seasonally)

How adherent should we be to the discussion topic? (we only talk about that and save all other unofficial topics for another date, talk about it unless a more interesting unofficial topic is bought up, use it as a way to keep the thread alive and people getting to know each other)

How necessary do you feel challenges are to an A/P thread? (absolutely essential, essential, pretty useful, useful but not necessary, unnecessary, a detriment)

How often should new challenges be posted? (weekly, biweekly, monthly, bimonthly, seasonally)

For challenges, should there be an A/P challenge thread in the Saga Forum or should authors create their own threads?

How necessary do you feel judged writing contests are to an A/P thread?
    (absolutely essential, essential, pretty useful, useful but not necessary, unnecessary, a detriment)

How often should judged writing contests be conducted? (bimonthly, seasonally, annually)

How necessary do you feel author interviews are to an A/P thread? (absolutely essential, essential, pretty useful, useful but not necessary, unnecessary, a detriment)

How often should writers be interviewed? (biweekly, monthly, bimonthly, seasonally)

How necessary do you feel story ratings/reviews are to an A/P thread? (absolutely essential, essential, pretty useful, useful but not necessary, unnecessary, a detriment)

How necessary do you feel appearance is to an A/P thread? (absolutely essential, essential, pretty useful, useful but not necessary, unnecessary, a detriment) Should we continue to use colored text, icon index dividers and the like?

What was your favorite part of the A/P 2.0 thread (or any other index/character thread you?re familiar with)?

Your least favorite?

Any further comments or offers to help:

Thanks!! :)

16. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Would you prefer a new thread be started or the old one kept? Ultimately, I don?t think it matters as long as everyone can find the thread and remember to PM a link to their stories.

How necessary do you feel an index is to an A/P thread? (absolutely essential, essential, pretty useful, useful but not necessary, unnecessary, a detriment) Hmmmm?.for me, essential. I love to read Anakin/Padme stories and it?s very easy to miss one or two, especially with how fast the Saga moves.

How necessary do you feel discussion topics are to an A/P thread? (absolutely essential, essential, pretty useful, useful but not necessary, unnecessary, a detriment) I think they are very useful. A lot of plot bunnies can/have bitten due to a discussion.

How often should new discussion topics be posted? (weekly, biweekly, monthly, bimonthly, seasonally) I think a biweekly discussion is best, unless it?s a really heated discussion. I know most people have lives away from the board and it may be more of a challenge to keep up with a new topic every week.

How adherent should we be to the discussion topic? (we only talk about that and save all other unofficial topics for another date, talk about it unless a more interesting unofficial topic is bought up, use it as a way to keep the thread alive and people getting to know each other) Hmmm?.I don?t think we need to be rigorous about it. Sometimes you can start with one thing and it leads to another. As long as the discussion is flowing, that?s a good thing.

How necessary do you feel challenges are to an A/P thread? (absolutely essential, essential, pretty useful, useful but not necessary, unnecessary, a detriment) I love, love, love challenges as long as the time limit is reasonable. I think a monthly or every other month challenge is a great idea and gets us authors thinking about new ideas.

How often should new challenges be posted? (weekly, biweekly, monthly, bimonthly, seasonally) Oops, I think I answered that already! :oops: I think monthly is the best, with no time limit. That way new authors just discovering the thread (like me [face_blush] ) can pick and choose.

For challenges, should there be an A/P challenge thread in the Saga Forum or should authors create their own threads? My personal preference is the author?s own thread because it?s really hard to tell when a new story is up verses reader replies and I know I won?t check the thread on a regular basis. I?d need some way of telling a new story is up.

How necessary do you feel judged writing contests are to an A/P thread? (absolutely essential, essential, pretty useful, useful but not necessary, unnecessary, a detriment) Unnecessary. I think it might inhibit new authors a bit.

How often should judged writing contests be conducted? (bimonthly, seasonally, annually) Hmmm?if we really want them?.seasonally.

How necessary do you feel author interviews are to an A/P thread? (absolutely essential, essential, pretty useful, useful but not necessary, unnecessary, a detriment) I enjoy author interviews and I?d love to see them.

How often should writers be interviewed? (biweekly, monthly, bimonthly, seasonally) monthly if possible.

How necessary do you feel story ratings/reviews are to an A/P thread? (absolutely essential, essential, pretty useful, useful but not necessary, unnecessary, a detriment) Well, ratings should be irrelavant since this is supposed to be a family friendly board and I really don?t pay much attention to other readers reviews (unless it?s my story) because I like to read and review on my own.

How necessary do you feel appearance is to an A/P thread? (absolutely essential, essential, pretty useful, useful but not necessary, unnecessary, a detriment) Should we continue to use colored text, icon index dividers and the like? I like the way the thread is indexed. It?s easy to read and find stories.

What was your favorite part of the A/P 2.0 thread (or any other index/char

17. Star_Angel

Star_Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2006

A new one, most of the stories in the Index are half finished and locked and it?s not fun starting to read stories that won?t be completed. I?m just saying.

How necessary do you feel an index is to an A/P thread?

Useful but not necessary, basically since there is so many A/P stories on the boards and to have you decided which once that goes in there is kind of unfair since you don?t read al, the stories, but I dunno, maybe it is.

How necessary do you feel discussion topics are to an A/P thread? (absolutely essential, essential, pretty useful, useful but not necessary, unnecessary, a detriment)

Very important, both to keep the tread going and to keep people interested.

How often should new discussion topics be posted?

I?m not sure, I guess that it depends on the interest in the topic, sometimes weekly and sometimes every other week.

How adherent should we be to the discussion topic?

Use it as a way to keep the thread alive and people getting to know each other ? I like that idea, that way the thread keeps moving but people won?t feel trapped if they don?t know what to say.

How necessary do you feel challenges are to an A/P thread?

Fun and more fun so yes, it would be great to keep them.

How often should new challenges be posted?

Once a month I think but there shouldn?t be time limit on them.

For challenges, should there be an A/P challenge thread in the Saga Forum or should authors create their own threads?

Authors should create their own threads and post links to the here, it?s easier I think.

How necessary do you feel judged writing contests are to an A/P thread?

I?m not sure on that one.

How often should judged writing contests be conducted?

Again, I don?t know.

How necessary do you feel author interviews are to an A/P thread?

It?s always fun to get to know different authors and fellow A/P fans so I think that it would be pretty useful.

How often should writers be interviewed? (biweekly, monthly, bimonthly, seasonally)

That I don?t know, as often as possible I guess.

How necessary do you feel story ratings/reviews are to an A/P thread? (absolutely essential, essential, pretty useful, useful but not necessary, unnecessary, a detriment)

Unnecessary, not that it?s a bad idea but if one author have a very low self-confidence and someone gives their like first story a bad review and a low rating then that person might never want to write anything ever again, and that?s not what we want.

How necessary do you feel appearance is to an A/P thread? (absolutely essential, essential, pretty useful, useful but not necessary, unnecessary, a detriment) Should we continue to use colored text, icon index dividers and the like?

Very important to make the Index more personal and it does help.

What was your favorite part of the A/P 2.0 thread (or any other index/character thread you?re familiar with)?

I?m not sure, I liked the way it looked.

Your least favorite?

I?m not sure about that one either, I?m still pretty new around here.

No, I think that?s pretty much it on the comments and I sometimes have a lot to do during the weeks but if you need any help then I would be happy to try to help. Good Luck.

18. Pallas-Athena

Nov 29, 2000
    Thanks :) You have no idea how helpful these answers are. Anyone else? [face_batting]

I'm starting to work on the new layout :D And have commissioned new buttons.

19. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002

New one - you can allot more room for stories.

How necessary do you feel an index is to an A/P thread? (absolutely essential, essential, pretty useful, useful but not necessary, unnecessary, a detriment)

Essential. I may not have the time to read every A/P story ever written, but I'd love to keep up with the challenge responses. An index makes that so much easier.

How necessary do you feel discussion topics are to an A/P thread? (absolutely essential, essential, pretty useful, useful but not necessary, unnecessary, a detriment) [/b]

Pretty useful, but discussions often spawn themselves. I don't think it's necessary to have a strict schedule or time limit.

How often should new discussion topics be posted? (weekly, biweekly, monthly, bimonthly, seasonally)

See above. Whenever the current discussion peters out, I suppose. :p

How adherent should we be to the discussion topic? (we only talk about that and save all other unofficial topics for another date, talk about it unless a more interesting unofficial topic is bought up, use it as a way to keep the thread alive and people getting to know each other)

Again, nothing too strict - if the original topic still has a pulse, you can always go back to it. If the unofficial topic might grow into a huge discussion, you can save it for later. I'd say let the conversation dictate direction.

How necessary do you feel challenges are to an A/P thread? (absolutely essential, essential, pretty useful, useful but not necessary, unnecessary, a detriment)

They're just fun. :D I'm all for them.

How often should new challenges be posted? (weekly, biweekly, monthly, bimonthly, seasonally)

Monthly sounds good, but you can always adjust for DRL and lags in conversation.

Million dollar question. :p Depends on how much you feel like indexing. If you want to index the challenge responses somehow, linking to one thread is a lot easier. But it's also a lot harder for people to find individual stories and link to them. I myself like separate threads with an index.

How necessary do you feel judged writing contests are to an A/P thread? (absolutely essential, essential, pretty useful, useful but not necessary, unnecessary, a detriment)

I'd be too scared to enter one. :p Useful. Everyone likes a bit of friendly competition.

How often should judged writing contests be conducted? (bimonthly, seasonally, annually)

Seasonally. That way they're frequent enough to not have so much pressure attached. :p

How necessary do you feel author interviews are to an A/P thread? (absolutely essential, essential, pretty useful, useful but not necessary, unnecessary, a detriment)

I love author interviews! The more the better.

Monthly, I suppose. Gives people time to read the author's works.

I don't like them. I think they take away from the point of such threads. A newbie might pass over one that's been rated low even though non-reviewers enjoy it. A story of the week or something similar is a much better way to go, IMO.

How necessary do you feel appearance is to an A/P thread? (absolutely essential, essential, pretty useful, useful but not necessary, unnecessary, a detriment)

Content first. Colors and artwork help keep things organized and exciting, but too much becomes distracting. Plus it takes forever to load the thread with too many markups and pictures.

Should we continue to use colored text, icon index dividers and the like?

I like the icon dividers and the author nam

20. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004

I see no reason to start a new one, but I wouldn?t oppose it either. :p

How necessary do you feel an index is to an A/P thread? (absolutely essential, essential, pretty useful, useful but not necessary, unnecessary, a detriment)

I think it?s an essential part of the thread and a HUGE help to both readers and authors alike.

Pretty useful, but letting the thread go off on a tangent can be fun, too.

As inspiration strikes.

Let the ?topic? be a starting point, not a destination.

Well, I love challenges, so I like to see them on the threads.

Monthly, with no time limit for the majority of them at least. As someone else said, then a new user can join in on the fun!

I like the idea of each author posting on their own, but indicating it is an A/P challenge response.

How necessary do you feel judged writing contests are to an A/P thread? (absolutely essential, essential, pretty useful, useful but not necessary, unnecessary, a detriment)

Actually, I think they could be a detriment. I prefer to write because it?s fun without the added pressure of judging.

MAYBE once a year, but I really prefer no judged writing contests for the thread.

They?re fun and useful to an extent, but not necessary. Still, I like reading them. :)

As time allows.

Unneccesary

While such things enhance the thread, I think too many icons can slow down the loading time of the thread, especially for those with dial-up. That should be a consideration.

Just knowing where to find all those great stories!

Your least favorite?

I think all A/P stories should be listed in the index. Perhaps make the authors responsible for sending the information to the thread in an approved format would cut down on a lot of the work? But I don?t think a specific number of replies is necessary. I?ve seen some great stories get virtually ignored and some that weren?t nearly as good garner a huge following. If it?s A/P, list it.

Nothing more to add! :D

21. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002

I don't really mind either way.

pretty useful, but not necessary

How necessary do you feel discussion topics are to an A/P thread? (absolutely essential, essential, pretty useful, useful but not necessary, unnecessary, a detriment) useful, but not necessary. If it creates more work, and limits discussion, it's not worth it.

Whenever, a schedule shouldn't be important. Keeping discussion open and unhindered enough to keep the thread going should be the most important.

ow adherent should we be to the discussion topic? (we only talk about that and save all other unofficial topics for another date, talk about it unless a more interesting unofficial topic is bought up, use it as a way to keep the thread alive and people getting to know each other)

Not really adherent at all. Keep the thread "on topic" of A/P to a certain extent (don't go crazy), but let people and conversations go where they will.

If it means more work, I'd do them as the thread warrants. Don't make it a must.

Monthly or seasonly at most

Author posting on their own, but indicating it is an A/P challenge response.

I wouldn't go with judging at all.

Never.

Unnecessary and possibly a detriment. It leads to a feeling or precedent of "pimping" fics in some people's minds.

Never, really

A detriment

I think there are too many markups and pictures. It should be more about the stories. The current thread is slow to load due to all the pics and as a former indexer, it makes it pretty labor intensive. It's the stories and discussion that should be the heart of the thread.

Getting to find good stories and talk with other A/P shippers.

Your least favorite?

I think all A/P stories should be listed in the index. Make authors responsible for sending the information to the thread in an approved format and broaden the acceptance. Songfics should be allowed, no limit on replies, etc.

Focus on the discussion. I'd actually do a thread seperate for that and keep the index linked and pure (with very little pics and markups!!!)

22. Pallas-Athena

Nov 29, 2000
    Wow ... mod replies ... no pressure or anything [face_worried]

jk :p

I'm actually done indexing for the new version (I've decided to make a new thread). The count has jumped from the ~350 fics posted here to more than 500. A new thread will help manage the growth a bit better. The acceptance rules for PM submissions are eliminated, with the guidelines for fics in automatic updates only there to protect the indexer. Monthly challenges, fairly free discussions, no reviews/ratings (we never had them, but I'd seen them elsewhere and wanted to make sure they were still unwanted here :p ), a tenative yes to author interviews, though the thread will open without one, and a few little other things. [face_mischief]

After some thought, I've desided to keep the image dividers and most of the markups. They not only keep the thread organized and pretty, they also give a sense that each author, each story, is equally special. I'm hoping that the dozen ad buttons at the beginning of this thread were the biggest contributer to slowing it down for people; those won't be in the new edition. Hopefully breaking it down into a few posts will also help :)

Right now we're waiting on the new dividers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.