main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Anime/Manga Club* Ver.2

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by jedi_john_33, Dec 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    RahXephon is the type of show to where you won't really know if you like it or not 'till it's over. I thought it was good at first, then sorta slow, then disappointing at the end. Your results may vary.

One of those shows huh? I haven't had one of those experiences...so, maybe this will be the first one :p

WELCOME TO THE ANIME/MANGA CLUB OF THE AMPHITHEATER

Here, we discuss anything and everything anime/manga. Japanese cartoons and comic books. Share your likes, dislikes, ask about cool shows, ask any questions and one of us will most likely be able to supply an answer.

Have some fun!

2. darthtenbiscuits

darthtenbiscuits Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 7, 2001
    Since you're renting and not buying, I'd check it out anyway. For all I know, you may end up loving it.

And if you do, I'll trade my RahXephon DVD box (series + movie) for anything Macross or Gundam :p

3. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    RahXephon is very much a take on Eva. It works mostly. I like the show, and find it to be fairly good. It's not going to (Or at least I don't think it should) totally floor you or anything.

John: I think you should edit in some kind of opening statement for the first post, incase some new anime fans wander by.

And I am somewhat offended that the switch over happened like this. :( After I scored the five thousandth post no less. :(

-P!-

4. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    And if you do, I'll trade my RahXephon DVD box (series + movie) for anything Macross or Gundam

[face_laugh] you really dislike this show don't you? :p

tell ya what...if I end up liking it...i'll let you know, and I'll save up and buy them from you. then, you can buy Macross and Gundam at your own discretion

course, it's low in the queue and it'll probably be a few months :p

edit: we can lock this one and start a new one...i dont mind. i just wanted to keep the convo going is all.

5. darthtenbiscuits

Sep 7, 2001
    I'll be the first to admit the my opinion of RahXephon is extremely bias because of my Eva mushiness. I tried to like it as hard as I could. Especially seeing as how I blew so much money on it. Then again, maybe if RahXephon had tried a little bit harder in the mecha battle department I wouldn't be so hard on it. And as always, take my bashing with a grain of salt and watch it with an open mind anyway. For all I know, you could care less about giant mecha beatdowns. :)

6. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    I was the same as Ten when I first watched Rahxephon and that was several weeks after I've seen Evangelion for the first time :p

7. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    John, besides being below your actual post, I think that statement works good enough.

If you can edit, may I suggest putting it above your post, then saying something like "now down to business" as a segway?

Bah, whatever, good enough.

I have to agree that RahXephons mecha battles were rather lacking. They were without any of the visceral fun of Evangelions, or the detailed fighting of MSG's. I did like the mecha design though, especially those weird grunt ones that appeared towards the end. (They were basically Evas for all intents and purposes.)

-P!-

8. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    :( my edit time has expired.

what is some kickass manga? i've only tapped that resource a little...and are there places online i can read it?

9. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    Boxtorrents has stuff up for DL.

I'm not much into manga myself, but there are some titles I like. Mostly adaptations of stuff though.

Besides adaptations I like the Akira manga. Actually not as good as the film I think, but still pretty cool.

Planetes is incredible stuff also.

The FLCL manga is so wildly different from the anime it's a totally different experience.

Love Hina, and others of Ken Akamatsu's works of course. Lodoss War from what I know is pretty cool D&D/Tolkien like fantasy.

-P!-

10. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    Yakitate!! Japan :)

11. darthtenbiscuits

Sep 7, 2001
    Yakitate!! Japan

That, and the FMA manga are both real good. In fact, it seems the FMA manga is a bit better than the anime from what I've seen so far.

12. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    OMG you like the manga?

w00tness another fan :D

And what chapter are you currently at?

13. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Mmm...**sniff** New thread smell.

I'm liking Bleach. I liked its first episode a lot better than I liked Naruto's first episode.

14. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    jedi_john

Lemme try to find a pic of that Kitsune figure.

b4k4^2

15. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    I'm liking Bleach. I liked its first episode a lot better than I liked Naruto's first episode.

It wasn't until the fifth episode until I actually liked the show.

Oh well Yakitate!! Japan beats both Bleach and Naruto with no problem :p

16. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    jedi_john

Here's a pic I found. Top right corner.

[image=http://www.verycoolthings.com/vct/images/ymt01020.jpg]

b4k4^2

17. darthtenbiscuits

Sep 7, 2001
    And what chapter are you currently at?

I've only read the first couple chapters so far since I'm also reading something alse.

18. Iwakura

Iwakura Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    oh wow! a new thread! crazy.

anyhow, in regard, again, to rahXephon and eva: i've already debated the merits of both (in the old thread), so i won't do so again. i'll just say this: jedi_john, decide for yourself whether you like it or not. just remember this when watching...it's essentially a romance story...that's not the same thing that's at the heart of eva.

oh and in regard to the movie (pluralitas concentio)...it's one of those "retelling" of the series movies. it's ok...not as bad as the esca movie in comparison to the esca series, but it does change things from the series and speeds things up A LOT.

19. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    Thank you Jansons_Funny_Twin...soon, I will have my own [face_love]

Aww...a love story [face_love]

I'm a sucker for those [face_blush]

I'm a closet chick flick watcher...and what better than anime huh? :p

20. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    I thought Love Hina was an average harem? :confused:

I've only read the first couple chapters so far since I'm also reading something alse.

You dissapoint me :(

:p

21. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    I thought Love Hina was an average harem?

Nothing wrong with a Harem. [face_mischief]

22. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    Not if you see too many of them and are sick of the cliches :p

23. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    One reason I'm not looking for a harem show at the moment. I'll latch back onto GirlsBravo when season 2 starts, but that'll be it for a while I think...unless a really good, genre-breaking harem show comes along...but like that'll happen anytime soon.

24. Mara

Mara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 1999
    I was reading about old animes we liked in the previous anime thread, and just had to mention Maya The Honey Bee. I loved it ever since I was a baby. :) Also, Heidi, Tom Sawyer's Adventures and especially Anime San Juushi (The Three Musketeers - no, not that sucky one, with the dogs. This one.) were the animation series that marked my childhood. I would love to get my hands on Anime San Juushi DVDs. That show rocked! Aramis (the one in that specific anime - a female) is still one of the most memorable characters in my personal anime character 'Hall of Fame'. :)

25. lomion

lomion Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2004
    In regards to RahXephon. You have to watch it without decideing it is an eva clone off the bat. It's a very different story, though there are some similar elements.

If you want a pile of mecha battles, this is not the anime for you. The battles here are meant to accent the story going on between the characters, not dominate the story. If you watch the battles carefully you can see how they mirror the episode plotline for the characters. Their motivations, internal dynamics, statae of mind, etc. etc. The battle in episode 19 has to be the most heart-wrenching and jaw-dropping in so many ways.

Just watch it for what it is, and debate it on it's own merits. As for those EVA worshippers, they need to get over the fact that RahXephon may be better for some. Anyone who bashes on it because they feel threatened in their EVA love imho needs to be more secure in what they like ;).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.