main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Anime/Manga Club*

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Spike_Spiegal, Jun 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    I'm kind of glad I watched anime such as Heidi, Family Robinson, Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Wizard of Oz, and what not as a kid. Even though they were dubbed at least they weren't edited :)

2. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    Oh we got plenty of unedited anime to. There was one about koala bears, one about fairies (or elves... or whatever they were), and probably a few others I cannot recall for the life of me.

Robotech, despite being the edit job it is, was just the first anime in America, and from what I know some other countries of the world as well, where people started to see that cartoons could be for more than just bubbly gunk for little kids. That there was some very cool stuff possible in the format. It was the type of show that not only could a dad watch with his kid, but not get bored with five minutes in. Never before had a war story/sci-fi story/love story been shown in cartoon form as complete as Robotech was. Hey, from what I know it was also the first cartoon aired in America that wasn't a formulaic weekly repeat of itself, and people actually died in it. Also many teenagers and such saw it, started doing research, and behold anime fandom grew, anime fansubbing grew, etc. Hell, one of the first American anime magazines was named Protoculture Addicts due to Robotech.

If my dad is to be believed, I have been a fan of this show since before my skull had hardened up.

I like how your entire list is made up of adaptations of books btw. :p

Edit: Something I forgot to mention way earlier: Anno once said that Tom and Jerry was one of his favorite anime. :p

-P!-

3. darthtenbiscuits

darthtenbiscuits Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 7, 2001
    Trell- Robotech's historical significance to the American anime industry is not in question here. Even the most hardcore Macross purist will admit that Robotech is the reason they got hooked on Macross and anime in general. I can also understand why people of my generation hold a sentimental value towards Robotech as I feel the same way about Voltron. But now that I'm older and my tastes have matured I'd much rather see the original Gorion animated series than see the Americanized version that is Voltron. The same goes with Robotech/Macross. Now that the original uncut anime that comprises Robotech is readily available, why subject yourself to an inferior cut-up product? Would you want to watch a Soviet Russia alteration of G.I. Joe or Superman where the heroes are now battling "Imperialist scum"? Would you want to watch Battlestar Galactica/Star Wars/Star Trek spliced together, dubbed in Polish, and called 'Space Ship Show 3000'? No, because that would an insult to the vision of the respective creators of those works and so is Robotech.

Tenbits: I really do suggest you watch 2040 before writing it off as just "meh". While true it's missing much of the great music, style and atmosphere that made the original so great, it's definitely a great pop sci-fi watch all on its own. It's a few notches above meh, but definitely a few below the original.

Just relaying what I've heard. I was only telling him to keep his eye out for the original as well. I have no personal opinion on the matter.

They also had the Pillow's sticker from FLCL, you know, the one Trell tries to copy in his sig (and quite successfully, IMO).

After the NERV parking permit, that would have to be the second coolest anime related item I've ever heard of. That's one badass score.

To be nice, I got him a sticker too. Too be mean, I'm hanging onto it until he sends me those CDs he owes me.

Speaking of which, Trell- see PM.

Edit: Something I forgot to mention way earlier: Anno once said that Tom and Jerry was one of his favorite anime.

No wonder Anno's works tend to be so violent :p

edit- After all that friggin' typing I screw up on the tongue face. [face_frustrated]

4. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    Trell- Robotech's historical significance to the American anime industry is not in question here. Even the most hardcore Macross purist will admit that Robotech is the reason they got hooked on Macross and anime in general. I can also understand why people of my generation hold a sentimental value towards Robotech as I feel the same way about Voltron. But now that I'm older and my tastes have matured I'd much rather see the original Gorion animated series than see the Americanized version that is Voltron. The same goes with Robotech/Macross. Now that the original uncut anime that comprises Robotech is readily available, why subject yourself to an inferior cut-up product? Would you want to watch a Soviet Russia alteration of G.I. Joe or Superman where the heroes are now battling "Imperialist scum"? Would you want to watch Battlestar Galactica/Star Wars/Star Trek spliced together, dubbed in Polish, and called 'Space Ship Show 3000'? No, because that would an insult to the vision of the respective creators of those works and so is Robotech.

I'd like to see them actually merge Galactica, Star Wars, and Star Trek actually. Just because that would be some majorly weird weird stuff. :p

I honeslty don't think Robotech is to inferior. I prefer to look at it as a Tenchi Muyo situation, where you have a few stories using the same concepts and characters, yet set in different universes. I mean, I can like both right? The Robotech "EU" stuff such as The Sentinals is also rather cool I think. It's not just a bastardization of the story, it's also its own story in its own right. Hence why I insist on getting Veritech and Valkyrie right. Besides, at the time it was the only way to get this stuff on the air, and I just thing something very cool came out of the effort.

Just relaying what I've heard. I was only telling him to keep his eye out for the original as well. I have no personal opinion on the matter.

Ah, okay. Just giving a counter opinion as somebody who has seen the original and the remake.

After the NERV parking permit, that would have to be the second coolest anime related item I've ever heard of. That's one badass score.

And just a badass band in general. The Pillows > All other bands.

edit- After all that friggin' typing I screw up on the tongue face.

Ha, that makes me laugh. It's worse when you lose a really big post, such as ones from like the Senate. Or like when you paste one of those instead of your manual sig... I once had a huge diatribe about Bush istead of the P at the end of my post for 25 minutes without noticing. :p

-P!-

5. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002

Hey, I got both, so I am one happy otaku. :p

b4k4^2

6. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    I have a Nerv parking permit.

I'd say I park next to Misato...but, we go to work together [face_mischief]

7. Iwakura

Iwakura Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    my favorite things are my lain dolls and my set of hitomi's tarot cards from esca ^_^

8. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    A set of cards I got very badly gypped out of. [face_frustrated]

-P!-

9. lomion

lomion Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2004
    y favorite things are my lain dolls and my set of hitomi's tarot cards from esca ^_^

Lain dolls do rock :D ;)

It's up there with my signed Outlaw Star :D :D :D

10. Iwakura

Apr 2, 2001
    A set of cards I got very badly gypped out of.

should've contacted bandai like i did, i almost didn't get them as well.

Lain dolls do rock

i don't have the one i got for you :p i will get it eventually, though. then lain and i can cuddle! ^^

11. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    So much swag I love, like my little Menchi plush (Excel Saga), Misato's Cross (Evangelion), Vash plush (Trigun), Tenchi Muyo! chibi figures, NERV messenger bad (Evangelion), NERV parking permit (Evangelion), The Pillows sticker, and my ultimate prize, Kitsune figurine in a bikini (Love Hina).

b4k4^2

12. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    should've contacted bandai like i did, i almost didn't get them as well.

I kept on forgetting. :(

And I didn't want to seem weird... Well, weirder.

-P!-

13. darthtenbiscuits

Sep 7, 2001
    At my age, I think I would be locked up if I were caught snuggling up with a Lain doll. :p

14. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    Which is why the Minmei one is hidden under your pillow, right?

-P!-

15. darthtenbiscuits

Sep 7, 2001
    The Minmei one is for special occasions and the Misato one is for everyday use. [face_mischief]

16. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    Kitsune figurine in a bikini (Love Hina).

=P~

*grabs a pillow*

Kitsune [face_love]

must...see

17. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    The Minmei one is for special occasions and the Misato one is for everyday use.

I do believe that there were at least a half dozen things wrong with this statement off the bat. :)

-P!-

18. Iwakura

Apr 2, 2001
    At my age, I think I would be locked up if I were caught snuggling up with a Lain doll.

it's ok, there are no laws in regard to software or hardware.

I do believe that there were at least a half dozen things wrong with this statement off the bat.

[face_laugh]

19. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    You don't want to know what the Pen^2 one is for, Trell. :p

20. darthtenbiscuits

Sep 7, 2001
    I do believe that there were at least a half dozen things wrong with this statement off the bat.

I only counted, or at least intended, three. Feel free to catalogue the perversity of the statement, though. I've been awake much too long to figure it out myself.

it's ok, there are no laws in regard to software or hardware.

If I get to thinking about Lain, my brain will implode. [face_worried]

Too late =P~

You don't want to know what the Pen^2 one is for, Trell.

That damn stuffed Pen^2 is gonna haunt me for the rest of my life, ain't it? :(

21. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    somebody stop me before my rental queue breaks under it's own weight! :p

RahXephon Vol 1-7
    RahXephon the Movie
    Spriggan
    Metropolis
    Fist of the North Star Vol 1-5
    Beserker Vol 1-6
    Steel Angel Kurumi Vol 1-5
    Steel Angel Kurumi 2 Vol 1-2
    Gasaraki Vol 1-8
    Martian Successor Nadesico Vol 1-6
    Urotsukidoji Vol 1-3
    Blue Seed Vol 1-4
    X Vol 1-8
    Comic Party Vol 1-4

I know I can't wait till I get back to school next quarter! :p

22. darthtenbiscuits

Sep 7, 2001
    Lighten the load by getting rid of RahXephon. ;)

*ducks in preperation of Iwa reading that*

23. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    i guess tomorrow im getting a preview.

we are watching some RahXephon for anime club

24. darthtenbiscuits

Sep 7, 2001
    RahXephon is the type of show to where you won't really know if you like it or not 'till it's over. I thought it was good at first, then sorta slow, then disappointing at the end. Your results may vary.

25. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    This thread has passed the 5000 post mark, so I'm going to lock it before board errors start setting in and making it impossible to read some pages and otherwise causing problems. Anyone who wants to can restart the thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.