main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Annals of the Noble House of Trieste: Volume 12 (AU, OC)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Trieste, Mar 30, 2018.

1. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    The Gawa family. It seems we have a new sabacc player at the table. :D

DarthUncle likes this.
  2. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I have a feeling that the Gawas' involvement in this story has only just begun.

DarthUncle and AzureAngel2 like this.
  3. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    As the Triestes have shown, everyone always acts for the public good all the time. I'm sure you're being overly suspicious of their motivations. ;)
    It's all in how you play the game. :D
    Unless they're a giant red herring, distracting us all from the fact that the Ssi-Ruuk are invading again!!!!!!!

But would I do that? ;)

4. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    You would. You absolutely would.

5. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Darker motives here at work, I see. I hope your RL name is not Stephen King. :p

DarthUncle and Trieste like this.
  6. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    @AzureAngel2 @brodiew @DarthUncle @jcgoble3 @Vehn

Gesco City, Bakura

“Bakura wants change,” Caterina Mallow said, addressing one of the largest public gatherings of the Inalienable Rights Movement to date. “There is a powerful desire among beings of every species, sex, and status for Bakura to live up to the promises made in its founding charter. We live on a planet that says one thing and does another.

“And over the last few months, as we have marched and rallied, we have shown the establishment that we aren’t going away. We are going to be a permanent part of the landscape of Bakuran politics. And we demand action.

“Yet those in power are not willing to take the action we so desperately need, actions that will save lives and create a more equitable Bakura,” Caterina said. “The establishment is more interested in retaining power than it is in social justice. We have tried to get the attention of the Salis D’aar politicians, but they only listen to speeches in the Senate, not to the citizens of this planet, not to what they know to be right in their hearts.

“That’s why we need new leadership in Salis D’aar. That’s why I’ve decided to run for the Fianna Fail nomination for Senate for North Gesco City,” Caterina announced.

Marian Square, Salis D’aar, Bakura

“We’re now up to 20 declared primary challengers,” Holly reported.

That constituted a third of Fianna Fail’s current seats and a quarter of the Senate itself. Every primary challenger was going up against a sitting senator. They also knew that more announcements from Inalienable Rights members could be coming. By the time it ended, the party could be facing a planet-wide primary challenge from the left.

If one focused on the issues, there was more uniting the primary challengers and the sitting senators than dividing them. The differences on social policy were the biggest gulfs and the prominence of the Inalienable Rights Movement made them seem bigger than perhaps they were. It was that perception that was the problem.

“Do we have any polling?” Declan asked.

“It’s too early,” Holly said. “However, the base tends to vote more reliably in primaries. It’s entirely possible that they would go for a candidate they see as more liberal in large enough numbers to defeat the incumbents.”

“And in doing so cost us moderate voters in the general election we’re going to need,” Ayn predicted. “We’re already likely to lose seats.” Holding 60 out of 80 Senate seats was likely unsustainable, but Ayn wanted to come out with as large a majority as she could get. “This could turn a modest loss into an avalanche.” Ayn knit her brow in grim contemplation.

“If we go on record against the challengers, their supporters might not turn out in the general and have the same effect,” Declan hypothesized.

“We will not stand by and have this election taken from us,” Ayn declared. “I need to think.”

“There is one other thing,” Holly said. Ayn motioned for her to continue. “Yeoh Gawa contacted us again. She’d like another meeting.”

Declan raised an eyebrow. “What about?”

“She said she ‘needs to make amends,’” Holly quoted, “and that this meeting shouldn’t be on government property for legal reasons.”

Declan and Ayn exchanged a look. “She said that?” Declan asked.

Holly nodded.

“When I was Chairman of the Senate Rules Committee, there was one big thing you couldn’t do on government property,” he said.

“Tell Gawa that we’ll take the meeting. This time have it at the Plaza,” Ayn ordered. “If she’s going to make amends, then I want her in Salis D’aar.”

“Our turf,” Declan agreed. “Make her sweat a little.”

“Yeoh Gawa didn’t strike me as someone who enjoys sweating,” Holly commented.

“All the more reason to make sure she does,” Ayn decided.

AzureAngel2, DarthUncle and jcgoble3 like this.
  7. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Interesting. What is this thing you can't do on government property?

AzureAngel2 and Trieste like this.
  8. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010

Salis D’aar, Bakura

“I feel responsible for the current state of affairs,” Yeoh Gawa admitted from her seat in the fourth floor parlor of the Noble House’s private residence in the capital. It was entirely possible that the furniture she occupied had been purchased once upon a time by the “second father of Bakura” himself, Fionn Dunross Trieste. It would have been appropriate, for all the beings in the room owed their current fortunes and station in life to Fionn and his drive to rebuild this world.

Ayn motioned for Yeoh to continue. This she wanted to hear.

“After we met at Kilmainham Brook, I informed the leaders of the Inalienable Rights Movement that I met through my son that I would no longer be able to provide support for their activities,” Gawa explained. “They wanted to know why I was suddenly reversing my position. I fear the reasons I provided were not satisfactory, for my son privately pressed me on the point later. I confidentially let him know that I had met with beings in the government sympathetic to their position that let me know that their activities were endangering the very policy goals they were advocating for.

“Unfortunately my son does not have the sense of confidentiality that I thought he would by this age. This, or some version of it, reached the organizers of the Movement. It did not go over well. In fact, like many headstrong university students resolutely convinced of the rightness of their wisdom, they felt they were being silenced.”

They weren’t wrong, as Declan and Ayn knew full well.

“In reaction to this supposed censoring, Ms. Mallow announced her campaign and things snowballed from there to where we are now,” Gawa concluded.

Declan restrained himself from sighing. This was what happened when diletantes tried to get involved in politics: they invariably made a mess of things. “We appreciate the history. Context is useful,” Declan said. “The Prime Minister and I are more interested in moving forward with next year’s election in mind. If current polling projections continue, we see several Senate seats being ultimately lost if Inalienable Rights-backed candidates get the Fianna Fail nomination.”

“And you mentioned making amends,” Ayn said, putting a point on the discussion.

Yeoh’s mouth turned up into a tiny smile. “That is correct. For generations it has been drilled into the Gawa family that you acknowledge your mistakes and, more importantly, fix them. If I understand the situation correctly, the issue at hand is that there are now costly primary campaigns that need to be undertaken.

“This seems like a problem that money can solve.”

It was exactly as Declan had suspected: Gawa had come to make a political contribution. Federal law prohibited using federal property, including buildings, for campaign purposes, including solicitation of donations. If such activity took place, the campaign in question had to reimburse the federal government for use of the facilities and the bill was rarely cheap. For example, campaigning on the Prime Minister’s official shuttle was billed at over 140,000 credits an hour. The cost for using Marian Square for campaign purposes would likely be even higher. Gawa, perhaps through her private lawyers, knew this and had circumvented such considerations by insisting on the meeting being in a private space.

“How many races would you say are now endangered?” Yeoh asked.

“Twenty at the moment,” Declan said.

“Then at 2 million credits a race, that will make for a nice round 40 million,” Gawa calculated.

“Ms. Gawa, flattered as we are, that is far above the federal campaign contribution limits, both for individual candidates and political parties,” Declan pointed out.

“Prime Minister, Minister,” Yeoh said, “you are admirable public servants. Allow my family to use our financial acumen to take care of things. Rest assured, if you provide me with a list of your 20 at-risk candidates, they will find their campaign war chests 2 million credits apiece.”

Declan and Ayn glanced at each other. Their hands would be clean--the risk would be all on the Gawa family--but this was essentially suborning circumvention of campaign finance laws. While unlikely to blowback on them, it was still a risky decision.

“Ms. Gawa, Fianna Fail thanks you for your desire to build a better Bakura,” Ayn said.

Gesco City
    Weeks earlier

Yeoh Gawa met Caterina Mallow at one of the cafes near UBGC that catered to students, mainly in the price of its meals. It was past the traditional lunch hour, which meant the few students still at tables were studying and not paying attention to the pair in a corner booth. That meant they didn’t hear Yeoh share the story of how she’d been asked to no longer support the Inalienable Rights Movement by “high-ranking members of Fianna Fail” with assurances that after the election they’d act on sentient being rights issues.

“If they think this will muzzle us, then they’re dead wrong,” Mallow promised, seething. “We’ll keep marching. They won’t be able to ignore us. We have planet-wide coverage now. Beings are listening to us.”

“If I may?” Yeoh asked calmly, interrupting the student’s fuming.

“Of course,” Caterina said, yielding the floor.

“Allow me to provide you one piece of final advice before our partnership ends,” Gawa said. “You can march as much as you want, but you’re never going to do anything as long as you’re on the outside.”

“They won’t let us inside. They’ve shown that by intimidating you,” Caterina said.

“Nobody ever lets anyone inside,” Yeoh said. She stood and placed some credits on the table to cover the cost of their meals. “Good luck, Caterina. I think you’ll need it.”

9. DarthUncle

DarthUncle Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 20, 2005
    Well, indeed, as suspected: discussion about political contributions. Seems nice, and the last bit does point toYeoh Gawa being potentially serious and honest about repairing something she muddled.

But, providing more money than candidates are allowed, and making sure you had a meeting with the party leadership before you do so, even if ostensibly you then wash their hands clean of it, still would seem like a big risk - if anyone 'happens' to leak that, it puts a lot of weight on any 'we were ignored, then intimidated, and then outspent by an established, self serving and corrupt elite to not be heard' message a few days before the polls, which might well whiplash swing that election. Maybe I am too paranoid, but we are on Bakura, and in one of your stories after all @Trieste !

Great stuff. Sorry, haven't found myself able to read and especially post here for a while, but I continue to be interested in how you are taking this further and manage to intrigue and surprise us with the very real live social beings you write so well.

AzureAngel2, Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
  10. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    And you do politics in a way that is thrilling and exciting to read about. These days I often dread to turn on the TV or the radio when the news are on.

DarthUncle, Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
  11. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010

Gesco City, Bakura

“Please hold for the Prime Minister,” the receptionist said before his image winked out and was replaced by a hold pattern. The pattern was there for only 30 seconds before Ayn Trieste flickered into holographic existence.

“Ms. Mallow, congratulations on your victory in last night’s primary,” Ayn said pleasantly. “I look forward to you eventually joining the Senate.”

Caterina Mallow, college student, had done the improbable: unseated a sitting Bakuran Senator and won the Fianna Fail nomination for her district. Given the edge in voter registration in the district for Fianna Fail, Mallow was now a shoe-in to take a seat in the planet’s highest legislative body. For someone who hadn’t even been involved in student government at UBGC, it was quite a jump. Speaking of the campus, she’d shortly be submitting the necessary filings to drop out of university as a result of her impending political career. University studies would be there for her later. The opportunity to serve her planet, however, waited for no one.

“Thank you, Madam Prime Minister,” Caterina said. “I hope that we’ll be able to pass a great deal of legislation together to make Bakura a better place. I hope you know that while I expect we’ll align on many legislative priorities, I’m going to advocate the policies I think are best for Bakura.”

“Such is the responsibility of a legislator,” Ayn said, “as is balancing constituent interests with the best outcome for the Union. I’m sure you’ll learn about that soon enough.”

What she left unsaid was that Caterina would be the only being from the Inalienable Rights Movement who would be in the Senate. In every other primary the incumbent had withstood the challenge from the left and secured the nomination. Caterina was the anomaly, not the rule.

“Please let the Triple-F-C know how we can assist you for the general election, though I suspect we won’t need to do much to see you in Salis D’aar soon,” Ayn said. “I look forward to your arrival and swearing in. Good day, Ms. Mallow.” With the prerogative of a Prime Minister, she ended the connection before Caterina could reply.

Caterina Mallow had won her battle, but the Inalienable Rights Movement had lost the war.

Salis D’aar, Bakura

“Hey, Garner, I’ve got a story for you.”

The Salis D’aar Times reporter swiveled around in his chair from his terminal. “What? Got something too hot for you to handle?” he asked with a smile.

Sevan Hull laughed. Everyone at the Times knew that Hull was like a vornskr and a bone when he got on the trail of a story: he wouldn’t let go, even if it got so hot that his colleagues would have dropped it like Mustafar magma. “You’ve covered a lot of the white prosecution cases for DSD, right?” He referenced the District of Salis D’aar, the federal legal district that covered the capital and was assigned to Federal Attorney Trixie Penn. “You can handle a financial story?”

“Absolutely. Numbers and me are like this,” Garner said, crossing his fingers in demonstration.

“I think I got one. Federal Election Commission just released final fundraising numbers for the primary,” Hull said, handing a datapad to his fellow reporter. “I was paging through and found some interesting names.” He tapped the pertinent entries.

“‘Kazan Gawa, Yeoh Gawa, Lanai Gawa,’ looks like a family act,” Garner said.

“Yeah, and all of them are at the maximum contribution limits,” Sevan pointed out. “But that’s not the thing. It’s that the Gawas have never contributed to a political campaign in their lives.”

“How do you know that?” Garner asked, before answering his own question. “Oh, this is related to your wife’s stuff, isn’t it?”

Sevan nodded. His wife had been born May Trieste, scion to both the Noble House of Trieste and the Vehns of Roon. Through her, he traveled in high society. “I’ve heard the Triestes talk about the Gawas before. Gesco City family. It was weird--they always spoke of them differently than the other families, the old ones. You know, the ones that still call themselves Houses? Antrose, Belden, Arden, Sweetwater.”

“Yeah, I know all them. Feels like they’ve always got somebody in a Senator’s seat or Governor’s mansion,” Garner said. “Gawa’s new though.”

“Well look at this. Turns out they’re major real estate holders in Gesco City. Probably as rich as any of the Houses, but nobody’s heard of them. Initial digging shows they support the arts, but anonymously. They don’t put their names on buildings,” Sevan said, clearly warming to the subject. “I did some checking--they didn’t make any contributions in the last four campaign cycles and now they’re all over this year’s. And not just for Gesco City politicians. They had donations to at least four other sitting Senator’s campaigns.”

“So what do you think is going down?”

“I’m not sure, but I think there’s something here,” Sevan said, tapping the datapad.

“And considering you’re the star reporter around here--”

“Oh come on,” Sevan laughed.

“--why are you giving this to me?”

“Because I’m a nice guy?” Sevan suggested.

“If you were nice you would have passed me that embezzlement story on Erdoyan Propulsion that got you nominated for the Press Club’s investigative prize,” Garner said. He looked at the datapad again and then looked up suddenly. “Or does it have something to do with the fact that the Gawas contributions here all went to Fianna Fail and you don’t want to have an awkward Life Day dinner with your in-laws?”

“Let’s just say I don’t want a good story discounted because the being who wrote it married into a family that could be a focus of it,” Sevan said, patting Garner on the shoulder. “Our work’s too important to have the appearance of impropriety. Moment I realized where this might go, I knew I had to hand it off and, like I said, you’re the best numbers reporter I know.”

“So does that mean I don’t have to buy you a drink when I win a Press Club prize for this?” Garner asked.

“No, it means you’re going to have to buy me drinks for a month,” Sevan said with a grin. “I’ve got to see these folks at Miner games you know--and that’s going to get awkward if this story goes badly for them. It’ll be at least a month before they stop complaining about me working for ‘the nosy Times.’”

“So does that mean you’re not getting me Miner tickets any time soon?” Garner called after Sevan as he headed back to his desk.

“Buy your own tickets. They’re gonna be so bad that even a cheapskate like you can afford them this season!” Sevan called over his shoulder.

DarthUncle and jcgoble3 like this.
  12. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    I already read this during my thirty minute lunch break and it cheered me up immensely on a day, on which things got ****** for me in the truest sense of the word. But I´d rather have sick babies and toddlers being leaky than being covered in political dirt.

For being a politician you also need different kind of nerves than a kindergarten teacher.

13. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Yeah, that's a whole different kind of playing dirty! ;)

AzureAngel2 and DarthUncle like this.
  14. DarthUncle

Mar 20, 2005
    So, there is the follow up on those contributions! Great to read how you add, slice in and develop the narrative so we readers are kept on our toes, never quite knowing the whether a seemingly interesting diversion is actually a main story thread looming in the depth of the Bakuran(?) political landscape.

Yeah, bit late, the wifi at my mother's house was wonky until two days ago, which was when I didn't find time to read! But, a train ride from Groningen, NL (starts by bus, because the bridge needed since 2015 will only start to get rebuilt next year to be done, hopefully, by '24... hence delay as the travel advice didn't include the scheduled road works that delayed said bus: the wonders of travel over the border in remote parts of two countries :) to the Harz mountains in Germany gives plenty of time, and lackluster connectivity to encourage text reading, so here I am. Thank you for your work.

15. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    If anything, I probably learned from Charles Dickens and his serialized fiction. ;)

AzureAngel2 and DarthUncle like this.
  16. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    @AzureAngel2 @brodiew @DarthUncle @jcgoble3 we'll have a little crossover with our good friend @Vehn

BBC studios, Salis D’aar, Bakura

“We’re here with Minister of State Declan Trieste. Thank you for joining us today,” the BBC anchor said as the news program switched from one segment to the next.

“Always glad to make time for the BBC,” Declan said.

“So with the primaries over, we know who’s going to face off in the general now: the Prime Minister versus Governor Titus of Arielle County. Is this the matchup that you wanted?”

“Jules, if this can be the extent of the election questions, that’d be appreciated. I’m really here to talk about the state of Bakuran interstellar affairs,” Declan said. “But, to answer your question, there never was a preferred Unionist nominee in our minds. We want this election to be a productive policy debate. The Prime Minister has pushed through several signature policies--more than anyone in Marian Square has since my mother, and she had an abridged Senate to work with during the Civil War. I think that Governor Titus’s nomination is a good thing for Bakura. Unionist voters have rejected the divisive style of politics that Samson Drave ran on. 296 is going to be about what Bakurans want their future to look like, not unfounded personal attacks.”

“I had to ask about it given the fact you’re the First Spouse of Bakura and a politician yourself, even if now in a diplomatic post,” the anchor said. “So let’s talk about interstellar affairs. We’ve now been in the DISC, the D12 Security Compact, for a number of years. Is it working?”

“Absolutely. There’s been none of this reckless, one-party military adventuring that we saw in the decade prior to the compact’s ratification by major players,” Declan said. “That’s made the galaxy safer, more stable, and stability brings the opportunity for economies to thrive as beings to live their lives in peace.”

“Some have said that DISC has just caused signatories to turn to paramilitary forces and mercenary outfits. Have we seen that?”

“First off, DISC absolutely prohibits its signatories from circumventing the spirit of the compact in that way. It doesn’t matter how you’re taking action, whether you’re using your own forces or contracting with nonstate groups, you’re still responsible for advance consultation with the other parties. In fact, we’re seeing a draw down of these kind of contingency forces. That’s making the galaxy safer because when these forces exist, they invite use.”

“Can you provide examples?”

“I meet regularly with Federation Director of Foreign Affairs Henryk Rhyken. The Federation has disbanded some of its military units. They’re safer because of DISC and by reducing its standing forces they’ve been able to see cost savings that allow them to focus more on domestic priorities. That’s one of the many benefits that a more peaceful galaxy brings.”

“Your counterpart in the Empire, Moff Broshanan, has said that the Council of Moffs is reexamining their involvement, claiming that certain promises haven’t been kept. Can you elaborate on what those are?”

“Our negotiations on Bastion with Grand Moff Elsevar were highly sensitive. It would be inappropriate, and frankly undermine current and future diplomatic negotiations, if I commented on them,” Declan said. He preempted another question from the anchor. “What I can say is that the items under discussion are not foundational to DISC. They’re about other issues that the Ministry of State, in concert with other DISC members, are working on. What this is really about is affirming the Empire’s place in the modern galactic landscape and that’s about providing them with a level of security. DISC itself is central to decreasing their security concerns.”

“Minister, frankly that’s very close to being an apologist for the Empire. Their legacy continues to this day in the memories of a lot of beings, especially non-Humans, who have been vocal about how sentient beings are treated even here on Bakura,” the anchor said.

“If we keep treating the Empire like they’re villains, then they’re going to act that way. We need to reward good behavior, and the Empire has demonstrated that. They’ve renounced military expansion of their territory. They’ve committed to peaceful coexistence. Non-Humans serve on the Council of Moffs. If we only had diplomatic relations with beings we 100% agreed with, I don’t think Bakura would even be in the Republic. I’m all for being clear and strong on Bakuran values, but if we want to be leaders, we need to engage even when there’s a difference of opinion. But, to be clear, this administration will not provide any shine of respectability to reprehensible governments that engage in totalitarian or authoritarian actions, but we believe that it’s better to talk than it is to cut ties,” Declan stated.

“As always, an illuminating discussion with the Minister of State. Thank you for your time, Minister Trieste.”

“And thank you, Jules, for your always searching questions. I’ll see you and your colleagues in the media at the convention next month,” Declan said, referencing the upcoming Fianna Fail national convention that would formally anoint his wife as their nominee for Prime Minister for a second time.

Ministry of State, Salis D’aar, Bakura
    Later that day

“What is Henryk Rhyken telling you and why am I not hearing about it from my counterparts with their armed services?” Fiona Westenra demanded, walking through Declan’s door.

“The Minister of Defense to see you,” Declan’s assistant weakly called through the door after Minister Westenra.

“Yes, I gathered,” Declan said dryly. “Thank you.” His assistant shut the door behind Fiona.

“Declan--” Fiona began sternly.

“Nice to see you too, Minister,” Declan said, putting emphasis on her title to point out that his aunt wasn’t using his.

“Stop being childish,” Fiona said with all the directness of a former admiral. “You go on the BBC and say that Rhyken has told you they’re drawing down forces? We’ve received no indications that they are disbanding units.”

“There was a general reference to reorganizations, shutting units down,” Declan said offhandedly. “Might have been more internal moves, but he was clear they were taking line items off the books.”

“Declan, you know better than to disclose conversations with a senior officials with our strategic partner like the Federation,” Fiona said. “What were you thinking?”

“But I didn’t,” Declan said calmly.

“You said Rhyken told you they’re disbanding military forces.”

“No. I said ‘I meet regularly with Federation Director of Foreign Affairs Henryk Rhyken. The Federation has disbanded some of its military units.’ I didn’t say Rhyken told me that. I made two statements. If beings choose to see them as connected, that’s faulty logic on their part.”

Fiona put both hands on Declan’s desk and leaned forward. “Declan. What are you playing at?” Her tone was not friendly or inquisitive, but cautioning.

“Just doing a favor for the Vehns and sending Rhyken a message,” Declan replied coolly.

“You’re playing Noble House business with interstellar affairs?” Fiona asked in disbelief.

“It’s always Noble House business, Aunt Fiona.”

Fiona straightened up. “It wasn’t for me and it wasn’t for your mother. There are lines, Declan.”

“Not when it comes to family,” Declan said, “and you weren’t concerned with lines when Ayn and I got you off the lecture circuit and into your job, so stuff it.”

“I’m here to do good for Bakura, not to score points,” Fiona chastised.

“And the Taoiseach takes an oath to bind the Noble House to Bakura and her interests. They’re one and the same,” Declan said. “Now, I’m sure you have some parade review or something to organize. I’m going to keep the galaxy from falling apart and everyone from shooting at each other if you don’t mind.”

Fiona glowered at her nephew and stalked away. Before she got to the door, she paused and turned. “Exactly what did you tell Rhyken with this message?”

“That the Vehns know what he’s done and who he works for,” Declan said simply, “and that they’re coming for him.”

“The only time you tell someone that you’re coming is a shooting war,” Fiona observed.

“Indeed,” Declan agreed.

“At least we don’t need a DISC meeting for an internal matter,” Fiona said, about to push the button to open the door.

“It depends on how well the Vehns do their job,” Declan said casually.

Fiona turned back around. “Explain. Now.”

17. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Oh so good....!

AzureAngel2, DarthUncle and Trieste like this.
  18. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Oooooooh. This is getting very interesting. And dicey.

19. DarthUncle

Mar 20, 2005
    Well well well. Interesting times are not quiet times.

20. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010

Atalanta, Bakura

At their convention in Telaan Valley, the Unionists had publicly blessed their nominee for Prime Minister, Governor Alyxa Titus of Arielle, a place that represented the heart of the Dixie Counties. The policies laid out for Bakuran Voters were a play for the middle ground of the Bakuran political spectrum and the voters that came with it.

Titus had rejected her predecessor’s philosophies of stark opposition to the Fianna Fail agenda in the most quoted moment of her acceptance speech: “What Bakura demands is a government that works. We accomplish great things together, but it is our responsibility to see that we have the government we need: no more, no less. In the Trieste administration, our government has spent freely--with admirable intention, but without discipline. We need a government that watches its budget like every Bakuran family.”

Anticipating such a move, Fianna Fail had months ago set their convention in the moderate metropolis of Atalanta to play to those same voters. Though Ayn had built a broad coalition in the last election that had allowed her to pass generational legislation, she now needed a Senate that would defend those achievements instead of repealing them. Moderates would be key to retaining control of the Senate and allowing her legislation to settle into the foundation of Bakuran life.

It was to these voters that Ayn spoke as she accepted her party’s nomination for Prime Minister a second time.

“My fellow Bakurans, in the last four years we have achieved great things. We have reduced government bureaucracy through BakIncome while giving every Bakuran the means to succeed. We have instituted comprehensive immigration reform that acknowledges that the best and brightest beings want to come to Bakura and participate in our great society. We have excoriated the scourge of organized crime. We have made the galaxy a safer place through robust, active interstellar affairs,” Ayn began in another classic, Declan-penned speech.

“Some would point to flies in the ointment, inefficiencies in the system, to have you believe that we have failed. Let us give their thoughts due consideration,” she said, forestalling any negative feedback from the friendly crowd. “They have their points. It is our responsibility to run the federal government well. That is part and parcel of our public trust as public servants.

“But that is not a reason to not venture boldly into the future,” Ayn declared. “Let us partner with those who say we can do better, but to those who say let us do only what is perfect I say this: you will wait your entire life for perfect and it will never come. Perfect is the enemy of good.

“We will always strive for perfection, for that is what it means to be a sentient being. It is to keep striving, to keep searching, to keep trying. That is our common mission, to get up every morning, sometimes with an entire galaxy against us, and to try. To make each day our testament that we are unbroken, unbowed.

“For that is what the galaxy does to those who dare to hope, to believe, to make a better galaxy. It tells us we cannot. It falls to us every day to pursue our dreams anew. This is not just my role, not just this party’s, but it is every Bakuran’s road,” Ayn said. “We live on frontiers no less grand than those that the first colonists our world faced and we walk roads no less hallowed than those trod by the generations of Kurtzen who walked this planet since its beginning. My fellow Bakurans, every one of us is a being of great purpose and importance. It is time for us to decide whether we shall continue to forge a new path into our future--or turn back to tired lands that lay behind us.

“I for one pledge myself to a future, to progress, to improving what we have built as much as to building new things. I pledge myself to you,” Ayn finished. “I pledge myself to Bakura. Thank you, and Force keep you all.”

Though they were Declan’s words, Ayn Trieste, as she always had, did it her way. The only way.

21. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Dickens and Sinatra. I really do love the sources which inspire you to such a rich and exciting text.

(PS: There is still an annual Charles Dickens Christmas market in the Dutch town where my husband and I used to live many years ago.)

DarthUncle likes this.
  22. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Where do you see the Dickens? Either I'm being unusually forgetful today or he snuck in when I wasn't looking! (Though, admittedly, I am a fan. ;) )

DarthUncle and AzureAngel2 like this.
  23. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Here!!!

DarthUncle likes this.
  24. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Yup, that's me being forgetful! [face_laugh]

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  25. DarthUncle

Mar 20, 2005
    Well, you didn't forget to update at least; very appropriate speech there, delivered with elan by Ayn; will be interesting in how far it remains relevant during the election campaigns!