main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Annals of the Noble House of Trieste: Volume 12 (AU, OC)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Trieste, Mar 30, 2018.

1. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Indeed. This update exploded into my face like a grenade. ;)

Well, it was a "Catch me if you can" situation anyway. :D

Trieste likes this.
  2. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    @AzureAngel2 @DarthUncle @jcgoble3 @Vehn You have been incredibly patient after that cliffhanger, so hopefully this will be ample recompense for your waiting.

Belden General Hospital, Salis D’aar, Bakura

Declan burst through the doors to the ward almost before they had slid open. Given the speed he exhibited, Dr. May Trieste thought her cousin might have dented them on his way in.

“Where are they?” Declan asked, a wild and hard look in his eye. His concern was so grate that he had outrun his security detail, which arrived a couple seconds after him.

“They’re in a room together,” May assured him, putting one hand on Declan’s chest to calm him. “Everyone’s fine.”

“Fine? You’re telling me a speeder exploded a couple meters away from them and they’re fine?” Declan nearly shouted, brushing his cousin’s hand away.

“Jax got the worst of it. Cuts, abrasions, and minor burns on his back. Elfie has a concussion from hitting the ground, but Jax shielded her and Lex from worst of it. In fact, between the two of them on either side, Lex was almost unscathed. I examined him myself. No hearing damage or anything. Everyone’s going to live. They’re just going to need some time to recover.”

Declan clenched his fists and grit his teeth in fury. “Antrose will pay for coming after the family. Elfie and Lex were civilians.”

“SDPD and the Marshals haven’t closed their investigation yet,” Holly said from behind the pair. She didn’t even look up from her datapad. That she arrived concurrent with Declan was a testament to how much the Chief of Staff had her pulse on everything happening throughout Bakura. “However, their working theory is that it’s related to the syndicates given Jax’s positions on the task force.”

“It has to be Antrose,” Declan averred.

“We’ll wait for the final report,” Holly observed, calmly.

“No. We need to act,” Declan insisted.

“That’s for the Taoiseach to decide.”

“She’ll decide, all right.”

“I assume you came here to check in on everyone, correct?” May asked Declan, defusing some of the tension by inserting herself into the exchange.

“Are they cleared for visitors?” Declan asked.

“Visitors? No. Family? Yes,” May said. “This way. Jax was sleeping the last time I was in. Elfie was conscious, but we’ve got the privacy blinds down and the lights low to help mitigate the effects of the concussion. Speak softly; it’ll be easier for her.”

May admitted Declan into the hospital room where the husband and wife were in separate twin beds. Jax remained asleep as the door shut silently behind Declan while Elfie lay on her side looking at Lex in a crib provided by the hospital. Declan gently drew a chair next to the crib so Elfie could see him.

“Hey Elfie,” Declan whispered.

His cousin’s eyes didn’t shine like they usually did, but her mouth formed a smile. “Declan.”

“I came right over when I heard. I’ve got the Prime Minister of Uzbekibekistan waiting in my office right now at State. Just walked right out of a meeting with him. Some aide probably told him that I’d gone to get caf or something.”

“That’s not a real planet,” Elfie said softly. She sounded a little woozy.

“If it was, I still would have left him there,” Declan promised. “I won’t ask how you’re doing, but I want you to know that I’m sorry. I know you didn’t want to be involved in this. Antrose will pay.”

“Declan.” Elfie reached out and took his hand.

“Yes?”

She paused. Declan remembered how forcefully she had been against the decision to take on Antrose and the syndicates at the family meeting at Kilmainham. He expected her to ask for restraint.

“Make sure he does,” Elfie finished.

“I promise,” Declan vowed.

Nouvelle Orleans, Bakura

“We sent a message that if the federal government continues this course of action, the cost will be far greater than they are prepared to absorb.”

“You have no idea what you’ve done!” Antrose insisted to the hologram of his Nautolan associate worlds away. Though he had distrusted the privacy of the HoloNet earlier, the bombing in Salis D’aar was too serious to wait for the logistics of such a meeting. He’d have to risk that the countermeasures ELT had in place would prevent the Marshals from tapping in. “A war in the streets of one city was one thing, but a bomb in the capital? The entire planet is going to come after us now.”

“The planet will not know from whence or where the next attack will come. They’ll be afraid, not angry, wondering if it will happen in front of their home next. They will remember the way things used to be, when everyone turned a blind eye and no one got hurt, and wish for those days. Deep down beings know that crime can never truly be eliminated. They know it’s something they have to live with, like insects or seasonal illnesses,” the Nautolan said patiently. “Governments, however, live and die by the moment. And there is an election on Bakura next year, is there not? A Prime Minister who hasn’t cleaned up a mess she made will not look very competent. A different administration might be willing to compromise in the name of peace.”

“You do not understand who you’re dealing with. My cousins don’t back down when someone spits in their eye—they lash out. If you think this business has been difficult, you have no idea what’s going to happen now,” Antrose told his partner.

“And neither do your cousins. We do not give up footholds once we have them. You promised us Bakura as a new and open market, easy access through Republican customs. We will have it,” the Nautolan informed Antrose with as much certainty as if she had observed the current state of the weather. She had no further thoughts on the matter and indicated such by terminating the connection.

Antrose slumped onto a couch in his office at the ELT offices and put his head in his hands. He had always been committed to seeing this through, but until now he had been control of this war. If he didn’t do something soon, the situation would escalate—fast—and he was going to be exactly where he’d always feared he would be: at the mercy of others.

Salis D’aar, Bakura

Ayn looked at the afternoon skyline of the government district of the capital city, her arms crossed across her chest in thought. The media hadn’t drawn links between the bombing and the syndicate showdown in Nouvelle Orleans. Jax’s involvement with DOCTF was not public, but his status with SDPD was. The family’s relation to the Noble House of Trieste was the reason that the story was getting so much coverage with speculation that it was either tied to a current investigation or the administration. However, none of them had the report on her datapad, a preliminary report from the federal Marshals that concluded the bombing to the crime syndicates based on device type and surveillance footage.

Ayn turned away from the window to pour herself her second drink of the afternoon.

“Where are Corrie and Elza?” Ayn asked.

“Elza’s taken up with the Officers’ season,” Holly said. She’d come straight back to Marian Square after ensuring all was well at the hospital. “Corrie’s in the middle of Ypres business. The only team working on the money trail is Justice’s forensic accountants reporting to Trixie. They haven’t gotten any deeper thanks to Elyse’s tip. We’re still missing a piece.”

“So we’re nowhere.” Ayn frowned. She swirled her drink thoughtfully. “I need other options if we can’t find the money.”

“How many favors do you have at Republican Intelligence?”

“Not enough.”

Ayn’s mind flitted to the favor the Manda’lor owed the Noble House. He was bound by oath to comply and Mandalorians took their promises seriously. With one word, an army of Mandalorian warriors could descend on Nouvelle Orleans and eradicate the syndicates in a rain of blaster bolts and fire. It was be brutal and hard…and they would be like an occupying army. The truth was Ayn had an army—she didn’t need another one. Any army, native or foreign, would do more harm than damage even if they brought about a century of peace. The Prime Minister could not afford peace at that cost.

“Not any that would be useful,” Ayn admitted. She sighed. “Tell Fefkik we need to discuss options tomorrow.” She put her glass down with a little too much force. “This has to end. Now.”

She just wish she knew how to end it.

3. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    “This has to end. Now.”

I hope not. This would be a sudden end to the story otherwise... :p

Sorry, that I am not on-line that often. A lot of RL trouble and severe challenges...

DarthUncle and Trieste like this.
  4. DarthUncle

DarthUncle Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 20, 2005
    So, in his efforts to not be at the mercy of others, Antrose now put himself at the mercy of bigger asseholes - I wonder if it might make him turn sides, now he's effectively not in control of his criminal empire any more.

Had to wait a bit for this, but great that it is here now @Trieste, great read.

AzureAngel2, Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
  5. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    That's a very interesting thought. And if he does try to switch sides, will Ayn accept him back into the fold or not?

AzureAngel2, DarthUncle and Trieste like this.
  6. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010

AzureAngel2 and DarthUncle like this.
  7. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    @AzureAngel2 @DarthUncle @jcgoble3 @Vehn

Nouvelle Orleans, Bakura

Avie tried her best to look casual as she walked to the back door of the stately manor. She had every reason to be here. She was family, after all. That didn’t mean she wasn’t nervous about what she was about to do.

A droid opened the door in response to her knock. “Yes?” it asked with a condescending sneer. It seemed you could even get droids that acted snooty if you were rich enough.

“Is Mrs. Trieste in?” Avie asked, knowing full well she was.

“Ah, Miss Avie. Please come in,” the droid said moving to the side, registering the visitor against the approved list of beings to be admitted. “I shall announce you.”

“No need,” Avie said. “I’m expected.” She breezed past the droid. Had Avie not been on the list, this is where the seemingly innocuous droid likely would have pulled out some kind of hidden weapon or silently pinged the sentient guards that surrounded the manor to react to the situation. That was how Antrose was serious was about protecting his family.

Avie took the stairs at a brisk clip. It was as fast as she thought she could go without attracting attention. Without knocking or using the chime, she pressed the button for the door to Antrose and Henrietta’s bedroom.

The young woman was greeted by the sight of Antrose’s wife halfway between her bureau and the large purse on her bed, a fistful of jewelry in her hand. Henrietta froze in place as she looked at the suddenly open door.

“Avie?” she said in disbelief and surprise. “This isn’t…”

Avie stepped inside the room and hurriedly shut the door behind her. “Force, Hen. You don’t even lock the door when you do this?”

“Look, Avie, this isn’t what it looks like.”

“So you’re not trying to run away with as much jewelry as you can carry?” Avie asked sarcastically. Anyone who said that something wasn’t what it looked like was almost certainly doing whatever it was it looked like. “I take it that if I called Antrose right now he’d know all about it?” They both knew he wouldn’t.

“Avie, I can’t stay. Not after what he did. Not after the bomb. Elfie and Lex were there. They could have been killed.” Henrietta’s voice shook.

“I can’t let you leave, Henrietta,” Avie informed her cousin.

Avie navigated the speeder to the front gate of the estate and rolled down one window. Henrietta sat in the passenger side seat in front. Strapped into a child seat in the back were her son Aloric. His sister Siobhan sat in a regular seat next to him.

One of the guards bent to look at Avie and the inside of the speeder. “Where are you and Mrs. Trieste going with the family?”

“Safe house. Antrose asked me to bring them to there,” Avie informed him. “He wants to make sure they’re safe after recent events in the capital.”

“I’ll get some operatives together to accompany you.”

Avie rolled her eyes. “One moment. I just remembered I have to talk business with him,” she said to Henrietta, before stepping out of the speeder. She clamped a hand around the guard’s arm and led him away from the speeder. “For frak’s sake, dude. You want to give those kids a heart attack?” she asked under her breath as she marched him a safe distance away.

“Excuse me?” the guard asked with disgruntled confusion.

“You know exactly what happened yesterday. They didn’t get the target,” Avie said. “The feds are going to be hopping mad now. Antrose and I talked about it and he’s afraid that they might arrest Henrietta as a co-conspirator. With all the heat on Antrose, the feds might take the kids and put them in the system.”

“Frak. I never would have thought about that.”

“Now you know why Antrose is the one running the operation. We have to get his family to a safe house—immediately,” Avie emphasized.

“Okay. Like I said, I’ll get a convoy together.”

Avie slapped him on the side of the head. “Haven’t you been paying attention?” she scolded. “That’s the problem!”

“But they need to be safe.”

“Oh, sure, they’ll be safe all right—safely identifiable by the feds the moment they see a convoy of speeders, two of which will be heavily armed with goons, going down the streets of Nouvelle Orleans. Absolutely nobody running surveillance on this place is going to think that there’s a high value target on the move,” Avie said sarcastically. “And we know the feds are watching. You want to get into a shootout with the feds with Antrose’s family potentially in the crossfire?”

“Sithspit,” the guard cursed.

Avie slapped him upside the head again.

“What was that for?”

“Don’t use Sith as an epithet,” she warned him. “It insults me.”

“Right. Sorry,” he apologized. “So what do you propose we do?”

We aren’t doing anything. I am going to take them to a safe house and make it look like they’re just going for groceries. Once I’m sure I’ve shaken any tails, I’ll take them there.”

The guard nodded. “Okay. Okay. So what do we do?”

“Just play it nice and cool. Make it seem like it’s just any other day. Feds will never know the family’s been moved until we’re so secure that they’ll never find them again,” Avie assured him.

The guard nodded and the pair went back to the speeder. He waved for the gate to be opened and, once it was, Avie eased the speeder out into the street and drove off.

“Don’t look behind us,” Avie told Henrietta. “Eyes ahead. Everything’s going to be fine.”

8. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Everything’s going to be fine.

This sentence carries me towards the edge of a panic attack. And I know all about those! ;)

Plus I am seeing the disadvantage of being part of an influential family no matter if you rejoice the fact or you don´t.

Trieste likes this.
  9. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010

Kilmainham Brook, Prytis, Bakura

“You have visitors,” a droid announced.

Declan looked up from his seat in the library of the Noble House estate. Though Ayn was in Salis D’aar and he could have used the Taoiseach’s study, he decided against it for this meeting. “Send them in,” Declan said, closing the confidential document on his datapad. Even though there were gang wars in the streets of Bakura, the business of diplomacy didn’t stop. In fact, he was working harder than usual to convince all of Bakura’s allies and partners that the planet wasn’t falling apart at the seams.

“Was the security scan outside really necessary?”

“Considering your track record, I’d say it was,” Declan said calmly.

“I’ll try not to be offended,” Avie grumbled as she plopped down into one of the plush chairs of the library and hooked a leg over an armrest.

Declan stood. “I have to admit, I was a little skeptical when Holly told me what you were planning.”

Avie shrugged, as if completely disregarding just what a bold escape from Nouvelle Orleans it had been. Like Henrietta, she’d been horrified that Antrose had tried to kill Jax--not to mention with his family so close at hand. Avie was a warrior, but she had lines she wouldn’t cross. Even if she didn’t agree with what Ayn and Declan were doing, she was still loyal to family and clan. The family she had with Gaius and Elza had kept her alive on Kitokaime. Anyone who didn’t respect family wasn’t worthy of her loyalty.

Her conversation—if you could call it that—with Rickard had helped her understand that this family could forgive, but Avie wasn’t about to trust only in forgiveness. She wanted to come with something to bargain with.

“In hindsight, if I’d tried it alone I probably wouldn’t have made it,” Henrietta admitted. She had entered the room after Avie. “Without her, I don’t think I would have ever gotten away.”

“You are both welcome here, as are the kids. For now, you’ll stay here, at Kilmainham,” Declan said, giving Henrietta a hug to reassure her all was well. “Antrose can’t touch this place. Because of Ayn and me, it’s got full Marshal protection all the time. Nothing can come within kilometers of the house without being in someone’s sights.”

“Thank you,” Henrietta said.

“Let me know if there’s anything you need while you’re here. With luck, it won’t be long. Now that you’re out of the game—” Declan looked at Avie as he said this. “—we expect things to come to a conclusion quickly.”

“About that,” Henrietta said.

Declan looked over with one eyebrow raised, inviting her to go further.

“I know where the money is,” she finished.

AzureAngel2, DarthUncle and jcgoble3 like this.
  10. DarthUncle

Mar 20, 2005
    Well, sure good to what the values and ideals, not to mention red lines, are for persons you trust with things like all your money, or your (wife and children's) safety. Cleverly played.

Trieste likes this.
  11. DarthUncle

Mar 20, 2005
    AzureAngel2 likes this.
  12. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    @AzureAngel2 @DarthUncle @jcgoble3 @Vehn I can't promise any grand coalitions in the Annals...yet, anyways. ;)

“My degree was in History, but it was impossible not to pick up something about finance living around Antrose and Ronan,” Henrietta explained.

After Declan had delivered the news to Ayn and Holly, the pair had taken a shuttle directly out from the capital to the Kilmainham estate. They’d also arranged for Trixie to come out from Nouvelle Orleans so she could get all the details, ultimately to share them with the Federal Attorney’s financial crimes division back in the city. All four were listening closely to what Henrietta had to say inside the Taoiseach’s study.

“I took some courses through the HoloNet. Basic at first, but then a little more advanced. I didn’t tell Antrose about it because I wanted it to be a surprise. I thought it would be good for us, to allow him to feel more open to talk to me about what was going on at work.

“Once I felt I’d studied enough, I tried opening up a conversation with him, but he was strangely evasive. I tried a couple more times before I gave up. I thought it was because he didn’t think I was smart enough to understand. It wasn’t until later, after Ayn had told me what Antrose really did, that I realized it was because he didn’t want me to know how he made his money.

“After Ayn told me the truth, I couldn’t quite believe it. Even Antrose admitting it didn’t fully convince me. I had to know for sure. Antrose doesn’t secure his terminal at home, so I started getting into the books when he was away. It took a few weeks of going through it a few hours at a time, but the credit trail came together. The acrobatics he was going through with the funds…losing money in transaction fees where he didn’t have to...the only reasonable explanation was that he was cleaning it, and you only clean credits that are dirty.”

Henrietta paused. She wasn’t a big drinker, but she was glad she’d accepted Declan’s offer of just one tumbler of whiskey. It made things easier.

“The credits are still in the Republic. The other major banking systems were too risky. The Vehns could maybe get at it through the Federation if he put it there. Sierra could do it even more easily in the Consortium. The Corporate Sector, Tion, even the Remnant all posed too much of a seizure risk if anyone ever found them. Antrose considers risk assessment first and foremost. Besides, I think he liked the joke. No one would have ever thought he’d have just hidden it in the Republic where you might have connections.”

“Where is it? That makes all the difference,” Declan asked. “If it’s a system we have good relations with, it’s going to be infinitely easier to freeze than if it’s a Republican world that marches to the beat of its own drum. Force help us if it’s in Empress Teta. They don’t let anyone see their bank records.”

“Don’t you have accounts on Empress Teta?” Trixie asked.

“Why do you think they’re there?” Ayn quipped.

“Kothlis,” Henrietta said.

“Cool. Bothans love sharing secrets,” Trixie deadpanned.

“There’s a play here,” Ayn said calmly.

“What’s that?” Declan asked.

“We’ll discuss it on the way back to the capital. You’ll need to pack a bag,” she told her husband.

“Already packed,” Declan assured her. As top diplomat for the planet, he was ready to leave the planet at almost a moment’s notice.

“Henrietta, you have done the Noble House a great service,” Ayn assured her cousin. “We will discuss your future and how we will secure it for Siobhan and Aloric. I swear on the souls of my children, this debt will be repaid.” Ayn stood. “Where’s Avie?” she asked Holly.

“In the gallery,” the Hapan informed her.

“Tell her I’ll be in to see her when Declan and I have finished. She and I have unfinished business.”

AzureAngel2, DarthUncle and jcgoble3 like this.
  13. DarthUncle

Mar 20, 2005
    Smart, under-promising, over-delivering ;)

nice exchange. Actual LOLed at the Bothans; Trixie is great with the deadpan.

Trieste and AzureAngel2 like this.
  14. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Kothils....well done. Always had to be the Bothans. I hope a bunch didn't die to bring Henrietta that information.....

DarthUncle, AzureAngel2 and Trieste like this.
  15. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Now you brought Bothans into the story. How clever!

I remember a certain Bothan individual from the EU books, now legends who was always into intrigues.

16. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010

Avie rose as Ayn entered the Taoiseach’s cosy study. It seemed there was always a fire beneath the mantle, even though the home didn’t need the heat thanks to modern conveniences. It seemed like luxury for the sake of luxury, exactly the sort of thing someone like Ayn would like. She’d never burned wood to stay alive like Avie had. The wood paneling made the room feel close and comforting, as did the nerfhide chair Avie had been sitting on. Once upon a time wood wouldn’t have been a decorative material. Nerfhide wouldn’t have been something to sit on, but rather something to keep out the elements.

How far Avie had come from the days of Kitokaime.

“Want a drink?” Ayn asked without preamble.

“Do I need one?” Avie asked seriously.

Ayn shrugged as she poured one for herself, her back to Avie. Holly and Declan did not join them. It was just the two women together. What they would discuss had nothing to do with anyone else.

“You defied this family, the Noble House,” Ayn said as she capped the decanter and put a large ice cube in the tumbler. “There are consequences to that.”

Avie’s muscles tensed. Her nostrils flared with a sudden rush of adrenaline. Her eyes flitted for a second across the room, looking for potential weapons. She had been clear with Rickard: she would not go to prison. Avie thought that what she’d delivered Ayn in the form of Henrietta and the knowledge she held would be enough to avoid that fate.

Ayn turned around. “Amends have to be made,” she continued.

“What do you mean by that?” Avie asked, carefully. There was a note of danger in her voice. Just because she was talking to the Prime Minister didn’t mean that Avie was powerless. Her protection was elsewhere in Kilmainham Brook. By the time Avie was done with her, Ayn could be dead…

“You’ve killed beings. You participated in a criminal enterprise. You took sides against the family.” Avie couldn’t be sure, but she thought Ayn’s voice made it sound like the last offense was the most serious. “These sins must be repaid.”

Avie slowly curled one hand into a fist, placing her thumb inside her fingers so she wouldn’t break it if she threw a punch. It was a subtle move, one done as Ayn took a drink. Avie was sure Ayn hadn’t seen.

“And yet the Noble House has failed you too,” Ayn said.

Avie’s fist loosened in surprise. “What do you mean?”

“We assumed that you could be civilized. It’s a poor turn of phrase, so allow me to explain,” Ayn elaborated before Avie could be too offended. “Falene, Declan, and I thought that limmie would be enough of an outlet for you, Gaius, and Elza to channel the energy you’d used to survive on Kitokaime into something productive. It was for Gaius and Elza.” Ayn paused for a sip, as if she was considering that observation. “For the most part, at least.

“I don’t think that is true for you.”

“I’m not sure whether I should be offended or flattered,” Avie observed flatly.

“I mean it only as an observation of fact,” Ayn said, taking a seat behind the desk that dominated the room. She gestured to Avie to resume her seat. “We...I underestimated how much of a warrior’s spirit is in you. It is still in the Noble House, but more for some than others. The Triestes have been bounty hunters, wastrels, soldiers, and scoundrels over the last three centuries. We should have recognized that you were not meant for mundane things. We never gave you a true outlet for that. When Antrose did it was no fault of yours that you should take it.

“Your amends will be made in a way that harnesses this fire for more...productive purposes.”

Ayn slid a datapad across the desk for Avie’s review. “This is the standard agreement for reserve officer training corps, specifically the Marines. After graduation Fiona will ensure that you are routed into special ops training. You’ll serve Bakura doing work that is dangerous and that you clearly have the skillset to handle.”

“And I assume this ends a limmie career?” Avie asked.

“If you want one, it can be arranged,” Ayn said with a shrug. “Others have been able to serve and play. Of course, any time missed for limmie would extend your commitment further.”

“So instead of killing for Antrose, I’d kill for you,” Avie asked pointedly.

“From time to time Holly may bring a request to you,” Ayn said frankly, “but your work will mostly come through the Marines’ command structure. In exchange for enlisting, I will sign a pardon for everything you’ve done this year. It’ll be filed with the Ministry of Justice just in case anything comes up. We intend to keep your name out of it. Trixie will make sure you do not come into any prosecutions of Antrose’s organization.”

“And if I don’t sign, I assume you throw me in a jail cell as soon as I walk out of this room?”

“I’d give you a one hour head start,” Ayn informed her casually. “I expect that would give someone like you a fighting chance. Obviously, the Noble House could not continue to support you financially in any form, including your tuition and expenses at PCNS--not that it would matter to a fugitive.”

Avie grabbed the datapad. “Don’t think that leaves me much choice,” she said, signing. She put the datapad back.

“Good. Now let’s talk about your first assignment,” Ayn said.

“I’ll take that drink first,” Avie requested.

“Your string of good decisions continues,” Ayn observed with a wry smirk.

DarthUncle, Vehn and jcgoble3 like this.
  17. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Excellent post ;) Make that weapon your weapon and go out there and use it ;).

18. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010

Coruscant

“Don’t tell me you’re here to tell me that your mother never wants to see me again,” Senator Gavin Serling said as he shook Declan’s hand, “because that would be cold and I wouldn’t put it past her.” Though he didn’t smile, both he and Declan knew it was a joke.

The Galactic Senator from Eriadu was a senior member of the Republic’s legislative body and had served since before Kerry Trieste had risen to the post of Supreme Chancellor. They’d become allies during her time on Coruscant and afterward allowed their professional relationship to become a personal one. The couple expected nothing beyond companionship from each other. Gavin knew Kerry would never marry another man, even him, after the death of her husband, but that didn’t mean he couldn’t share her life.

“We both know my mother doesn’t pass off difficult moments on others,” Declan said. “I’m here in a purely professional capacity.”

“What can I do for the Minister of State today?” Gavin asked. “In a purely professional capacity, that is.” There was something in his voice that suggested he knew that a senior planetary government official didn’t just show up on Coruscant for a routine official business.

“The federal government of Bakura has been engaged in a law enforcement action against syndicate activity,” Declan said.

“I watch the BBC when I’m on world,” Gavin reminded him. “I’m aware.”

“We have an opportunity to end that activity and bring those involved to justice.”

“Good for you. So go do it.” Gavin paused. Declan opened his mouth, but before he could say anything the Senator cut in. “Or is it not that simple?” Clearly, Serling knew it wasn’t.

“Never is,” Declan replied, parrying deftly. “We need to seize syndicate assets held on another Republican world.”

“What do you know about these assets?”

“Account numbers, bank names, everything.”

“Shouldn’t be too difficult. I can get Treasury on it with a call or two,” Gavin said. He reached for his comm.

“They’re on Kothlis.”

Serling’s hand froze right above the comm. “Are you kidding me?”

“You understand why I came to you,” Declan stated.

“I mean, it’s not impossible, but I can’t guarantee it’s going to happen quickly, even with Treasury action,” Serling said.

“It’s important we close our operation soon, for a variety of reasons.”

Gavin did some quick math. “Not the least of which would be next year’s federal election on Bakura, I’m sure. This would be easier if you had something to offer the Bothans.”

“We figured as much. What would they want?”

“What do Bothans always want?” Gavin asked rhetorically. “To feel like the smartest beings in the room. They love the Republic--after all why would they have elected to be a member instead of joining the RTO or Federation who geographically surround them?--but never so much as when they’re leading the way.”

Declan considered this for a few seconds and tapped his chin with one finger. “Okay then. I need to make a call. After I do, can you arrange for me to meet the Senators for the Bothan sector?”

DarthUncle, Vehn and jcgoble3 like this.
  19. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    @AzureAngel2 @DarthUncle @jcgoble3 @Vehn We're rolling now...

Nouvelle Orleans, Bakura

Antrose didn’t go anywhere without protection these days. Ever since the start of the conflict with the federal government he had taken his security seriously, but Henrietta’s defection to Declan and Ayn had kicked things up to another level. Antrose knew he was justified. His wife had been taken. The missing jewelry and the fact Henrietta hadn’t tried to escape might say differently, but Avie could have used the story she told the guard on Henrietta too.

He didn’t know how Ayn and Declan had done it, but he would get his wife back. He would triumph. He had come too far not to. His partners were going to realize that he wasn’t going to be anyone’s pawn. Once this war was over, it would be time for ELT to expand--aggressively. He would do it peacefully or through force--whichever one it took.

As Antrose’s armored speeder pulled out of the ELT compound, preceded and trailed by identical speeders, he reflected on how he would even the score with everyone, friend and foe. He might have to be patient. This war had depleted his operating funds substantially. Once the feds had scurried back to Salis D’aar, the credits would start flowing again. When they did…

“We’ve got something up ahead,” the driver of the speeder said, snapping Antrose out of his thoughts and into the present.

Antrose leaned forward to look through the viewscreen. A trash hauler was pulling out of an alley, perpendicular to the street. The convoy had already passed the last cross street and there was no way to change course without reversing. There was a sanitation worker who was directing the hauler as it backed out into the street.

“Punch it,” Antrose ordered. If they hit the accelerator, they would be able to squeeze behind the hauler before it fully blocked the street.

“Double time,” the driver communicated to his two fellow drivers over their private comm channel.

Immediately all three speeders jumped forward as they attempted to shoot the gap. With the sanitation worker looking up and down the street, he should see the reckless driving and halt the hauler from being involved in a collision. Antrose’s pulse instinctively quickened as the distance closed. The worker’s head turned as he looked side-to-side. He did a double take as he saw Antrose’s speeders coming his way. He threw up his arms to indicate for them to stop, but quickly realized they weren’t going to do so and he ran out of the way. The hauler driver must have noticed, because he stopped his backwards progress. The speeders were going to sneak through. Antrose relaxed.

And then the hauler jumped backwards in a sudden burst of speed and squashed the speeder between it and the building. Antrose’s driver couldn’t react in enough time and their speeder slammed into the side of the hauler. The trailing speeder skidded into a stop and the guards jumped out on instinct to cover Antrose’s speeder. This couldn’t just be an accident.

When the federal agents opened up their crossfire of blaster bolts, they knew it wasn’t.

A guard jumped on top of Antrose to protect him from any bolts that might make it through the speeder’s armor. None did, but they screeched against the sides of the speeder, attempting to claw their way in.

“Do we have any power?” the bodyguard asked the drive.

“Engine’s shot to Korriban from the crash. We’re going to have to make it to the trailer,” he said, referencing the speeder behind them.

It was then that a sonic grenade blew out the windows of their speeder, deafening those inside. Antrose couldn’t hear anything thanks to the ringing in his ears--not that he could concentrate on much beyond the stocky being crushing him, supposedly for his “protection.” What good was protection if it nearly killed you? Almost as if on cue, the bodyguard seemed to get even heavier on top of him. Antrose hoped they came up with something soon.

Then, all of a sudden, the bodyguard rolled off him like a sack of jogan fruit--and a hand hauled Antrose out of the speeder and threw him facedown on the pavement. His face looked at the inert, stunned body of the bodyguard formerly on top of him. A pair of boots then came into his vision while his cheek was still squashed against the ground. The boots led to bending legs as their owner entered a crouch. It was then that the faintest level of hearing began to return to his ears.

“I told you you’d regret crossing us, mate.”

Antrose was just able to make out the words delivered by a tactical-suit-wearing Cillian Lynd, who had a large blaster rifle resting against his shoulder. His cavalier attitude was enough to communicate that the fighting was over.

It was with somewhat greater clarity that Antrose was able to understand Swann when she said, “Ayn didn’t have to ask us to do this for the feds. We volunteered, even knowing you’d have more protection than a banana republic dictator,” the Hapan said.

“Though, frankly, equating you with them insults tinpot autocrats everywhere,” Cillian joked.

Antrose smiled. “My lawyers will have me out on bail so fast that you’re going to get muscle strain from those Sithspit-eating grins falling so fast.” His hearing hadn’t quite returned, so he said this louder than he needed to.

“Quick question for you, Antrose,” Cillian said. “Check your bank account before you left the house?”

Nar Shaddaa

The Vertical City was cleaner than it had been in centuries, but that didn’t mean it had shed its criminal element. The criminals just had fancier penthouses and looked a lot more like bankers and lawyers than spice dealers.

Then again, depending on who you asked, bankers and lawyers looked a lot like criminals anyways.

Beings always seemed to think of Nar Shaddaa as a city in perpetual night, but the truth was the Nikto overlord of one of its largest criminal enterprises always loved it during the day time. He admired the view now through the great windows of his spacious apartment. The city gleamed like it was made of gold--a nugget that was his for the taking. Once this business on Bakura was completed, he was going to inaugurate a new golden age of Vertical City crime, as gleaming as this view. When he did--

Crack.

Thump.

The Nikto fell to the plush carpeting in a heap. Before where he was standing was now a hole in the window through which the wind of the city whistled. The cauterized blaster wound smoked in his forehead.

Across the canyon separating buildings, Rickard began to pack up his rifle.

Gold Beaches, Corellia

The Muun sighed. While some parts of Corellia were dingy industrial districts, she had only ever seen the glory of its most popular vacation spot, the Gold Beaches. Of course, she didn’t deign to enjoy them with the rabble. She paid for private access at the exclusive luxury resort that she compensated well to cater to her every need. After all, being the head of a syndicate was a stressful job. When she needed to relax, she needed to relax.

Thankfully, the hotel had, as always, provided her with a very attentive side piece to see to her every need--and had the blonde ever.

“This is the most relaxed I’ve been in a long time,” the Muun sighed.

“We aim to please,” the blonde said.

And then she covered the Muun’s face with a silken pillow.

Holly Remizan didn’t let the pressure slack until the Muun had stopped breathing entirely. She’d get rid of the blond wig later--but not before she washed this foul taste out of her mouth.

“The things I do to not be killed by Hapan nobles,” Holly muttered as she left the limp body of the Muun behind her.

Glee Anselm

The Nautolan rose to shake hands with Avie Trieste. “I trust if Antrose let you off Bakura that means the situation has improved markedly. After all, you’re one of his most valuable assets,” the Nautolan observed.

“Just doing my part,” Avie said.

“From what I’ve heard, you’ve done more than that,” the Nautolan said. She went to release Avie’s hand, but the human held tight.

“Let me tell you all about it,” Avie replied darkly.

Still holding tight to the Nautolan, she threw her shoulder into the crime lord and used her momentum to flip the Nautolan over and onto her stomach, knocking the wind out of the syndicate leader’s chest. Avie dove onto the Nautolan’s back and grabbed her braided head.

“Ayn Trieste sends her regards,” Avie said through clenched teeth.

With a sick twist, Avie delivered the Nautolan from the tribulations of the living.

Salis D’aar, Bakura

There was a gentle chime at the door to the West Office.

“Come in,” Ayn said, looking up from her briefing.

Declan stepped inside. “Four by four,” he reported.

Ayn smiled. “Get the Communications Director.”

DarthUncle and jcgoble3 like this.
  20. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    There's gotta be a complication somewhere. It can't be that simple of an ending.

21. DarthUncle

Mar 20, 2005
    I feel there is truth in what you are saying @jcgoble3, still
    is nice style to describe what seems like a grand flush :)

Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
  22. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Too ill too read. Sorry, My husband will that for me.

23. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Nothing is as it seems, people. @Trieste has got this planned quite nicely.....

Trieste and DarthUncle like this.
  24. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    @AzureAngel2 @DarthUncle @jcgoble3 @Vehn Simple? Perhaps...perhaps not...

Salis D’aar, Bakura

“My fellow Bakurans, good evening,” Ayn said in a planet-wide HoloNet address. One of the grand hallways of Marian Square extended behind her, evoking the power and glory of the federal government of the world.

“For the past several months, my prime ministry has made combatting coordinated criminal activity a top law enforcement priority. Led by Attorney General Fefkik and the dedicated members of the Ministry of Justice, we have waged nothing short of a war over the soul of Bakura against a massive criminal syndicate that threatened to undermine our society.

“This battle was fought not just to uphold the laws passed by the Senate and counties of our fair world, but to uphold equal enforcement of the law across all species, sexes, and classes,” Ayn said, her gaze unblinking as she looked into the camera. “For far too long, we tolerated crime because it looked genteel and harmless. We deluded ourselves that these were victimless crimes. They were not. The syndicates physically harmed our citizens, but they committed much greater and broader offenses to every Bakuran through a slew of economic crimes: tax evasion, customs avoidance, racketeering, and price fixing. Though they do not leave visible wounds like cuts and burns, they just as surely damaged the welfare of citizens cross the globe.

“My fellow Bakurans, tonight it is my honor to announce that the leaders of these syndicates have been brought to justice. Those who would promote inequity through illegality have been punished. The leaders of these syndicates were arrested today in a vast law enforcement sweep and now await trial. I assure you that as long as I am Prime Minister, nothing will prevent me from seeing that the Ministry of Justice pursues these charges to their conclusion.

“I must also openly acknowledge a personal sadness in the midst of a great day for our union,” Ayn said. “One of the leaders currently awaiting arraignment in prison now is my cousin, Antrose Trieste. As I have said before, I shall exert no influence on his case. He will answer fully for his actions in accordance with the rights that each citizen is granted.”

Nouvelle Orelans, Bakura

Trixie watched as federal marshals combed through the ELT offices. Throughout the city, they’d descended after Antrose’s arrest to seize documents and assets of the syndicate. All of it would further buttress the case that she’d be bringing against the minor syndicate members who were being arrested as they could find them. The major players were in custody--anything beyond that was gravy.

However, the marshals were not alone.

“Get that all on secure link to headquarters,” Dhoth Mutul instructed one of her fellow Bothans with an approving clap on the shoulder.

This was the deal that Declan had made with the Senator from the Bothan Sector: all intelligence related to offworld syndicate activity would be collected by the Bothan Spynet. Just like Bakura had been authorized by the Senate to form a militia in the form of the Bakuran Defense Fleet, so Bothan Space had been chartered to operate an intelligence service. The Spynet was officially a division of Republican Intelligence...but that didn’t mean that the Bothan Council didn’t receive important information from the Spynet, sometimes before it was transmitted to Kraken Plaza on Coruscant. The information Bothans collected on Bakura would lead opportunities to take direct action against the syndicates across the Republic...and maybe give the Bothan Council the opportunity to further their own interests on the side.

“Who are you going to blackmail with all this?” Trixie asked Mutul.

The Bothan’s fur rippled with displeasure as she brushed aside the question. “The Spynet will take immediate action to disrupt criminal enterprise throughout the galaxy.”

“By seizing assets, which will conveniently go into the Bothan Council’s fund, no doubt?” Trixie asked archly.

“Just like the millions with the Council has frozen belonging to this syndicate will go into the Bakuran federal government’s coffers?” Mutul parried with a smile.

“Less my 10% fee, yes,” Trixie replied with the barest hint of a smile herself.

“Perhaps we should implement that in Bothan Space,” Mutul mused.

“You’d probably find more crime that way,” Trixie offered.

“Please. We’re already suspicious enough without offering a financial incentive,” Mutul informed her. “Besides, offering credits would take all the fun out of it. The easiest way to kill your passion is to take money for it. That’s why we public servants get paid so poorly, wouldn’t you say?”

“No, I’d like my job just as much if I got paid more,” Trixie said matter-of-factly.

Mutul shrugged. “Humans,” he sighed.

“Bakura is better today than it was a year ago,” Ayn declared confidently. “The future for our world is bright, but it will not come without action. Our collective actions create the Bakura we have today and tomorrow. Let us all stand for equal opportunity and against the advantage of the few to the detriment of the many.

“Tonight I renew my commitment to liberty, sorority, and equality. Let us all continue to forge a trail to a brighter Bakura. Thank you, and Force bless us all.”

DarthUncle and jcgoble3 like this.
  25. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    “Bakura is better today than it was a year ago,” Ayn declared confidently. “The future for our world is bright, but it will not come without action. Our collective actions create the Bakura we have today and tomorrow. Let us all stand for equal opportunity and against the advantage of the few to the detriment of the many.

To a bright future then!

Really needed that update and such a motivation speech.