main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT: Posting in basher/gusher threads is a bannable offense

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by NathanDahlin, Oct 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rimkar

Rimkar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 23, 1999
    Hmmm, I must say I'm a little confused by this.

Does this mean we can no longer discuss why TPM either is or is not a good movie? If so, that will wind up taking almost all life out of this forum I think. All we will have to talk about is who is our favorite podracer for 1000th time....

Personally, I've noticed very good relations for a good while between "bashers" and "gushers". Most of the time, it's only the occassional flash-in-the-pan troll that barges in here with their opinions that incites less than courteous arguments.

So, bottom line, I'm kind of perplexed as to what this means for discussion and why there is a need for it...

2. Nrf-Hrdr

Nrf-Hrdr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2000
    Strilo: Yeah, you're right, democracy is a waste of time, and anyone who thinks otherwise is a whiner.

Quite amusing that you angrily accuse my fascism comparisons to be VERY offensive and inappropriate, and then go on to prove exactly why they were totally appropriate and accurate.

3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I did not say your FASCISM comments were offensive. I said your NAZI and comparisons to the HOLOCAUST were offensive.

As far as democracy being a waste of time, we are not talking about a country here. We are talking about a freakin Star Wars forum. I have run chat rooms and channels before and let me tell you: Democracy in these things DOES NOT WORK.

Again, like I said... if you don't like it no one is forcing you to stay here.

4. Nrf-Hrdr

Nrf-Hrdr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2000
    I wonder if you'll feel the same way when TF.N invade Poland.

5. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    Nathan, I honestly don't understand what is now a bannable offense.

I've never been banned in my year as a member here, and I would like to keep it that way.

Until I feel more sure about what I can or can't get banned for, I will restrict my posts on this board to the Basher's Sanctuary.

I hate to do this, but at this point I don't know what else to do. :(

6. anakin_skywalker_sct

anakin_skywalker_sct Jedi Master star 5

Apr 18, 2001
    What an unworkable policy you've discovered! :)

7. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    I think people need to realize that:

- A movie is not definitively, absolutely "good" or "bad".

- If you're going to express your opinion on "good" or "bad", you better justify it, and accept that justified assertions from the opposite point of view are legitimate arguments.

Have I got that right, Nathan?

8. THX_Princess

THX_Princess Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    You know, I think it is really strange that the very thing this thread is trying to prevent is taking place right here! :confused:

9. anakin_skywalker_sct

anakin_skywalker_sct Jedi Master star 5

Apr 18, 2001
    But Iron Parrot, that's what basher/gusher threads are all about! People debating the good and bad points of the movie. I don't really understand this move, does that mean we can debate the good and bad points as long as we don't go down to childish name calling and swearing? I would've thought that was against the normal rules anyway... ah well. If there's no arguing about the movie, no-one's going to post here anyway. :)

And, yes, this thread is also starting to creep into flaming. hmph. Irony at its worst.

10. JediWarrior

JediWarrior Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 7, 2000
    Wow, I always think that I've seen everything...but now I have.

11. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Have you seen Attack of the Clones as well, JediWarrior? Wow!

12. GasCabbie

GasCabbie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 28, 2001
    Does this make TPM/TPE DF renegade organizations? ;)

13. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    OK, actually, if I understand this new ruling right, this is a good thing. If I understand it right, what ND is trying to do, is prevent threads such as "Bashers are only ruining it for themselves", "Why don't gushers know TPM sucks," and "Why are bashers buying the new DVD," ect... Also, he is trying to prevent other good and legal threads from turning into threads like "gushers are evil," or "bashers suck" threads. If I understand corectly, a thread that might be called "I think the naboo starfighters were poorly designed" that opens with an intellegent argument non-imflammatory, would be permissionable, but if people came in and started insulting each other as a point to prove who's a better fan, that would be a bahser/gusher flame war, the thread would be locked, and bans would be issued.

Am I right so far, ND?

Added to that, comments like the above made by QuigonJinn :

IT's EKSPECIALLY GOOD CUZ NOW ALL THOZE STPID BASHHERRS WILL GET BANNED WHEN THEY SHOOT THEIR BIG FAT MOUTHS OFF WITHOUT EVEN THINKING!!! CUZ THEY ALL SUCK THE BIG ONE!! AND TPM RULEZZZZ!!! AND ANYONE WHO DOESN"T THINK IS SO IS SO LAAAAMMMMEEEEE!!!!!! AND I RULE!! I'M THE SMARTEST JANITOR ALIVE!!!!!!!!

Are exactly what ND is trying to avoid, because this inflames one fraction and has a high likelihood of turning to a flame war.
    Gushers and bashers alike will be banned if they shoot their mouth of without thinking.

Am I still right so far, ND?

Oh, and I'm curious, is this a policy you made up, ND, or did this come down from the powers that be. Not that it makes a big difference, it's just sheer curiousity.

14. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    Discussion is now dead. Behold the new order, thank you Big Brother. ;)

15. DarthSeti5

DarthSeti5 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 6, 2001
    Freedom is Slavery

War is Peace

Two and two make five

Big Brother is Watching ;)

16. Harabec

Harabec Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    I'm hoping that Darth-Stryphe's interpretation is the correct one here.

17. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    "But Iron Parrot, that's what basher/gusher threads are all about! People debating the good and bad points of the movie."

I'm not sure what Nathan's policy on this is, but I've always thought that ideally, there should be threads on each issue - one thread per issue - instead of all-encompassing "this sucks/rules" threads.

That way you are actually debating the points themselves, not the sides of the argument, and certainly not each other.

18. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    LOL! All of a sudden, the basher/gusher threads have instantly dropped from the front page.

"Everything is proceeding as I have forseen..." [face_devil]

Some clarification: "The Basher Sanctuary" and "TPM Defense Force" are mainly social threads. Hence, you are allowed and encouraged to socialize in them, such as Oakessteve and TPMrules23. I will be giving each case a considerable amount of consideration and judgement, so don't think that I'll blindly ban anyone in a thread like that. However, this does mean you'll have to be extremely careful about what you post in these threads.

Twin_Kee, I realize there will be a lot of "gray areas" in this rule. Basically, you'll have to trust my judgement and/or give me suggestions when issues like that come up.

IronParrot, you have just stated what I've been trying to convince people for months. Bravo!

Darth-Stryphe, you are absolutely correct. This policy was created by myself, but I have no doubt that the other moderators will back me up, especially since there aren't many of them that even bother with this forum anymore.

If there's a thread entitled "What did or didn't you like about ___ aspect of TPM" I'll probably consider it perfectly legitimate. When three or four users start to tear apart each other's points and try to prove each other wrong, I'll come in with a heavy ban-stick.

One thing that is almost guaranteed to get you banned is when you start ascribing non-courteous adjectives to each other.

As a side note, Nrf-Hrdr and strilo just demonstrated very well what will get you in severe trouble.

One thing I've noticed is that most threads that get more than 30 or 40 replies on this board are the kind that contain the squabbling that I'm hoping to quell with this new policy.

For those of you who are still confused on the policy, PM me with a few thread or situation examples and ask for clarification.

Also, you can just lie low for a little while and watch how I respond to certain situations.

I'm sure there's a lot of confusion and nervousness about this new rule. Rest assured that you'll get used to the particulars of it soon.

19. Dionysus

Dionysus Jedi Master star 1

Jun 29, 2001
    Communicating with other humans means taking the good with the bad. Where is the life in a self-censored conversation?

20. mithmaster

mithmaster Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 22, 2000
    "Communicating with other humans means taking the good with the bad. Where is the life in a self-censored conversation? "

Our service to the motherland is our life.

21. Darth23

Darth23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 1999
    "I'm not sure what Nathan's policy on this is, but I've always thought that ideally, there should be threads on each issue - one thread per issue - instead of all-encompassing "this sucks/rules" threads.

That way you are actually debating the points themselves, not the sides of the argument, and certainly not each other. "

Darth23 watches as the point sails peacefully over his head.

Um... huh? "suck/rules threads?" wha? examples please.

Hopefully the goal isn't to make this place like the hot, happening place that the Non Spoler Ep 2 forum is. ;)

22. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    This is the stupidist idea ever. Almost every thread is a basher/gusher thread. People argue about this film. That is what makes the place interesting and why it is so active after two years. Are things so bad? Seriously, as long as people are not flamming each other or doing something illegal and such, I don't see what coming down on hoards of people is going to do except SCARE people into not posting their thoughts.

This is a terrible idea Nathan. Who's idea is it anyway? Never have I witnessed such an obvious bullying tactic. You can't drown people's opinions no matter how you try. Things are way too strict here already and we usually treat each other without insults. Come down any harder Nathan and I promise you will lose my respect and the other members. Be flexible otherwise people will retaliate and the situation will become much much worse. Take a look at Binary who just said he doesn't know where to post anymore. Congratualtions for already alienating one member. There will be more to follow!

23. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Hehe. The bashers whine about TPM, and they whine about the new policies. ;)

24. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Well, praise the new policy and we can have heaps of fun with "TPM word by word, letter by letter"; "What are those laser gates?" threads. Oooh, now that's the level of writing I want to read about and contribute to here.

Nathan, just a few questions. If I label threads

1. The music isn't good enough
    2. TPM will always be remembered as the weakest film in the saga
    3. JJ Binks wasn't as funny as 3PO
    etc

Will this sort of thing be regarded as basher/gusher threads? They may be grounds for a critical discussion but all it takes is one member to come along and say "oh stop whining" and people get all worked up. I must say I have no idea what to post anymore. Weren't these boards supposed to be fun? I liked it when we didn't have to censor every thought and belief and deliver it into a nice Pc package to be easily digested. My views have always been extreme. "CGI sucks" etc. It is obvious that this place has turned into a domain where people like me are no longer welcome. Thanks mate.

25. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    You know, there is other forums...

You might wanna discuss things you actually like in Classic trilogy, Prequels, Literature, Games, CCG, RPG, Community.

Come on, where's the fun in trolling here? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.