main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT: Posting in basher/gusher threads is a bannable offense

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by NathanDahlin, Oct 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grayson

grayson Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 20, 1999
    Agent Coop,

That's only allowed on alternating Tuesdays when the moon is in its vernal equinox. Let that be a lesson to you. :)

2. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    Sorry. Isn't there a stick I'm supposed to be hit with now? ;)

3. Malthus

Malthus Jedi Master star 4

Mar 31, 1999
    No, but I have another idea...

<lights saber>

4. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    OK, Malthus. Just not the face, huh?

5. Malthus

Malthus Jedi Master star 4

Mar 31, 1999
    Oh, fine, fine...

:)

6. Nrf-Hrdr

Nrf-Hrdr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2000
    This topic's opening post still has next to nothing to do with the actual policy, and I can't see it doing any good trying to show it to new members (unless you're trying to scare them off). Why doesn't someone just start a new topic that lays down the rules in a way that isn't aggressive, threatening and misleading?

7. TadjiStation

TadjiStation Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    Don't think it still doesn't apply. If you're involved in a less than polite b vs. g shoot out good chance you'll be banned.

cbjedi, I wasn't trying to stir up the waters here. In my experience (lately) on these boards, people are still getting away with some fairly nasty stuff.

I don't have particulars, as I've been away for awhile. But I have seen rather inflammatory posts (in other threads) well after this thread was started.

;)

8. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    What...what means ban?

It's something that happens to a JCC member when they flame Spielberg in the presence of Oakessteve.

No, but they can be arrested for disturbing the peace

Yes, what Lukecash said.

You are a fan if you say you are.

Good, that argument is settled.

On a side note, who the heck came up with these stupid "basher/gusher" labels in the first place

I did. I get royalites everytime these terms is used. I should be able to retire by the time E3 is out.

I'd better get my own saying or you're going to start charging me loyalties ever time I post that.

Saying what? Speaking of royalties, I still haven't gotten my royality check from you, CB, for all the times you've said basher or gusher. I'm going to have to start inacting interest and late fees.

9. eclipseSD

eclipseSD Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Does this announcement still apply?

10. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    I'm told this is the place to come for a spanking :)

Ah, I mean... that is... oh look at the time... gotta go!

11. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    Seriously with out the basher/gusher stuff what is there left to talk about?

12. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    I vote for locking this thread.

13. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Binary,

I'd agree with you on that, but I'm afraid of being banned. ;)

Lady Sami

14. Quaff-Down Gin

Quaff-Down Gin Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 1999
    Wise Man say:

"Silencing the squeaky wheel
    simply makes the posters squeal.
    The only way to stop the brawl?
    Admins, you must delete them all.
    Delete them all! Yes! Drop the Nuke!
    That quintessential cold rebuke.
    And once they've paved their SW brothers,
    the Admins can post amongst each other."

15. stonedead_jedi

stonedead_jedi Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2001
    Am I the only one that finds it extremely ironic that the same day Gomer's thread gets locked, we finally hear from Quaff again? [face_devil] :p

16. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    You're not suggesting that Quaff is a Gomer sock, are you?

17. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    He's not me, but he is one hell of a poet. I had always thought he had left.

Quaff, if you are just lurking stop that and start contributing. We need your humor these days more than ever.

18. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    Perhaps the effort wasn't quite worded in a way that perfectly reflected its aims.

Perhaps it could have been more specific. Perhaps it should have been less (fill in the blank.)

But I am glad to see *someone* addressing this Golden Rule issue *somewhere.* Especially "somewhere" as popular as TFN, where this issue is at least put in front of large numbers of fans.

I don't know if people realize exactly how much blaming, fighting, rudeness, condescension, and unkindness are a part of sci-fi fandom. I have been around various fandoms for nine years now, and it saddens me to see how little commitment there is to getting along with and respecting one's fellow man.

It seems to me that sci-fi fans by and large pride themselves on being more forward-thinking than most, but all too often I do not see that reflected in their dealings with each other. One would think that a group of people who tend to be rejected and ridiculed by the rest of society for their area of interest and how they choose to express that interest would make more effort to support one another within their ranks.

Instead, in nearly every fan group I've ever been a member of or dropped in on, there's some very bad fighting going on. I don't mean civil disagreements. I am talking about the sort of personal behavior that reflects hatred alive and visceral.

You may say that this is all just a part of human nature, and anywhere you have more than one person, there will be caustic fighting. True though this is, I would love to see our sci-fi communities become the places that take the lead in solving these kinds of problems, where people comport themselves with grace no matter what the disagreement. Our world is in a pretty bad state. If we can't reach out to one another and commit ourselves to treating each other with respect on a simple fan board, what hope do we have on this earth?

I have just left a local Star Wars fan club which basically imploded due to a lot of personal grudges, nonproductive fighting, and blaming, where each person was unwilling to look at his own behavior while he judged and spoke ill of and to his neighbors. The decimation of this community didn't have to happen, and it is such a sad, sad waste. And I think of that every time I come onto this board and observe members treating each other so cruelly over things that, in the final analysis, really mean so little.

It isn't the letter of the rule, but the spirit in which it was made, that matters. I would ask that people not quibble so much about particulars, but understand the intention.

To you reading this, how it all goes here all starts with *you;* what *you* choose to do, how *you* choose to act.

I commend the moderators for having the courage to *address* the issue, whatever anyone may say about the execution.

19. Holy-Flurking-Sith

Holy-Flurking-Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2002
    I do think some clarifications are in order, but they will have to wait until Saturday. I will likely lock this topic, and start a new thread restating the principles contained herein as I understand them.

20. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    I think disagreeing with me should be a bannable offence.

But that's just one duck's opinion . . .

21. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
  22. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    You might want to run the new thread by the AC first. It can't hurt to have another group of people look it over before it is posted.

Besides, it makes us feel important. ;)

23. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    I'm happy to do that, as I think that what I have in mind could have board-wide ramifications. What I have in mind is basically an explanation of the Terms of Service for TF.N (found here), as it pertains to the TPM forum and basher/gusher threads. I'll open up my impression/argument to the other mods and the AC, so we can hammer out something coherent, comprehensible, and complimentary to where we envision the boards going. I'm going to lock this thread in the meantime, as some of the discussion herein is no longer germane to the issue.

The basher/gusher problem is no longer as rampant as it once was, but it makes sense to have a clear policy, available to everyone, which cogently sets up the rules for discussion and good netizenry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.