main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Annoying unwanted plot-bunnies.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by _JM_, Nov 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _JM_

_JM_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    Does anyone else get annoying unwanted plot-bunnies?

I mean here I am trying to get a little Vader story written so I can then finish a crossover for a rather old challenge and then possibly get back to my long RP-universe SW story. But while I am trying to get these crossed off the start of my todo list more and more plot-bunnies pop up while I am walking along.

And to make things worse they aren?t even the sort of SW story I want to write. I?ve written my OC / AU (RP-universe) stories so in many ways I want to see how well I can write canon characters and canon situations. I?ve got my long story on the go so I want to do fairly short stories (less than 20 000 words) rather than another epic.

So why does my brain keep on saying ?hey, what if?? and giving me the broad overall outline for yet another AU epic? Thankfully they are never that original an idea so the bits of paper can just be buried in a drawer without me feeling that a brilliant concept is being wasted, but it is still annoying.

Anyone else have this problem? I?m sure you do, so if you sympathise with my whining I?ll sympathise with yours. :p

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Are you kidding? I have a room full of plot bunnies and they keep making more! I'm trying to be good, really I am. I'm concentrating on a very loooonnnnggg story that is taking me forever to finish - I only hope I can get it done by ROTS. Of course, it was supposed to be done LAST May. Then I'm minding my own business, making jokes with my friends and BAM, another plot bunny. I try to ignore it but it keeps looking at me with those big bunny eyes and making noises like "Write me, you know you want to" and "People will like it" and the big one "Write me or I'll haunt you until you do." Which it does and then my long fic gets pushed back even more....

And the challenges and the round-robins don't help either... :p

There should be plot bunny prisons somewhere that we can send these things! Or some way to just shut them up!

Thanks. I feel better.... LOL. :D

3. PadawanEstel

PadawanEstel Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2004
    I know exactly what you mean.... I have somewhere around twenty five pages of paper, each with the beginning of a bunny written down on it. Some are from three years ago! I have only finished one of them... and that took me two years. [face_worried]
    I need to learn to just say no. [face_talk_hand]

4. _JM_

_JM_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    Only three of us, oh well...group hug.

The "people will like it" reason is a real pain as if someone has said it sounds "really good" and asked quite enthusiastically if you going to write it then you feel rather obliged to eventually get around to it. :p

Sympathies to you both.

5. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    Four :p I keep a little book with me wherever I go so I can scribble them down (and work on them later when DWB is harassing me about another story). I'm currently in the middle of "working on" twelve stories (meaning I have an outline and/or at least a page of material typed up for it), and seriously on five of them. I have no life ;)

~LtJS @};-

6. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    Eep! This happens to me waaaaaaaaay too much! I'll get bitten by a plot bunny in say math class, spend the rest of that class and/or day/week writing it and then bam! Another plot bunny! And then I finally am forced to put my mind back to my current fic when readers start PMing me or banging on my head to update.

*sighs* Evil things they are!

:Targeter:

7. _JM_

_JM_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    Now we are five.

Too many for a group hug, so let us hold hands and dance in a circle while chanting "I am not a bad person. Letting plot bunnies remain unwritten is a humane decision."

8. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Letting plot bunnies remain unwritten is a humane decision. [face_laugh]

Sure it is! :D

9. PunkRockRebelTKDjo

PunkRockRebelTKDjo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 28, 2004
    I started with two, but you know how bunnies are...
    It's really annoying since they lead me into these long complicated stories I know I'll never post

10. Tych_sel

Tych_sel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    I know what you all mean. I've got at least four stories started, sitting in my hard drive. But the worst thing is, like the most evil of plot bunnies, I can't bring myself to delete them.

What helps me is to start writing the fic. Then, I can always say, "I tried, but the story didn't seem to be working." But I always know they're sitting back there somewhere...

11. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    You don't know the power of the Bunny-Side -- I must obey my obsessive-compulsive need to write them.

12. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Plot bunnies are becoming my bane.

I've got my crossover epic and a nice little side story to another series. And those bunnies are multiplying, multiplying and multiplying!

Argh! Why won't they go away? I'm not ready for a ST/SW crossover yet!

13. Mjsullivan

Mjsullivan Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2003
    Ohhh, the plot bunnies. I think mine are specially trained saboteur bunnies, actually - they are trying to stop me from completing my epic story at all costs. It begins with a single side project...and from there, it becomes a much larger side project... and then, two side projects at once :eek: And before I know what has hit me, the bunnies have put the progress on my main fic back several months!

Plot Bunnies. They're not just for christmas. They're for a good cross section of the other holidays, too.

14. _JM_

_JM_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    Ten!

The circle becomes unwieldy, so everyone sit down in the lotus position and go ?ommmmmm? while we meditate on the fleeting nature of thought and let our bunnies become butterflies so we can release them to flutter away and bother us no more.

ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

15. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    Can I join the circle? Even if I can't dance? :p

I had a story that I started playing around with whenever Sleight of Hand wasn't going well. Before you know it, I'm writing more on THAT one than I am on what is supposed to be my main story. :rolleyes:

To make matters worse, in this other fic, I just wrote a scene that immediately spawned another plot bunny! :eek:

16. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Ooooommmmmmmmmmmm....

I shall release the bunnies. The do not control me, for I control them.

17. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I have a list of plot bunnies sitting in my computer. But they all hate me. They just sit there and stick out their tongues at me. Mocking me...mocking me... Will the torture never end!?

18. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    This is why I visit and post to the plot bunny thread every once in a while. I don't even have the slightest clue as to how many bunnies hit me. Just to give you an idea of what I go through, I started on Jedi SKywalker: First Name's Shmi more than a year after I got the idea (the bunny wouldn't leave me alone) and here's a list of prominent plot bunnies I'd never write:
    Inu-Yasha/Trek crossover where sixteen year olds Spock and Hoshi are dropped into the Inu-Yasha universe.
    Luke and Leia are kidnapped as infants and serve as the Emperor's Hands.

19. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    Ohhh...*shudder* The rabid creatures bite me in the middle of the bloody night. They bite me while I'm trying to meet a deadline on a well established fic, they bite me when I have absolutely no way of writing them down!

I've tried unloading them on friends...but they come back and haunt me.

They are the creation of the Sith, I tell you, the Sith!

20. DCWiz00

DCWiz00 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 29, 2004
    I've tried to get my plot-bunnies to stop mating, I've put them in different rooms, bought the gifts, even stomped on a few of them just for good measure. But they keep multiplying too fast. I have a hard enough time working on my long story that I'm afraid if I work on one of these pesky bunnies I'll get sidetracked. Oh well. *Gets hunting rifles* Time to go kill more bunnies!

21. SarkaVrae

SarkaVrae Jedi Master star 5

Jun 3, 2004
    you know...in KOTOR, there was a similar problem with mass-reproducing animals going crazy on the ship....one time I sold them to some guy, but every time I've played since then (Light or Dark side), i poison them....it makes me feel more in control.

wish they made poison for plot bunnies...I can't even finish the story I started working on b/c my OC wants to tell me all about her past and wants me to write about it....focus...I must learn focus...

22. Darth_Suzi

Darth_Suzi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 23, 2004
    Ooh, plot bunnies... [face_frustrated]

They've been plaguing me since fifth grade, when I started seriously writing. (Or, I thought it was serious then. Paid my friends to beta and everything. :p) For several years, I've been working on one original story when another plot bunny hits, and I get out another notebook, and start outlining that one. Annoys my friend/beta/co-author/editee (who, unfortunately, is not on these boards) to no end. ;)

As far as SW fanfiction goes, I've got one adopted plot bunny that struck when I was visiting the thread on hold for now (I managed to convince it that I need to finish doing my reference reading first.), but there are still quite a few that keep jumping on my head. For example, I swore I would never write a songfic, and during Spanish class, it came. [face_frustrated] I think I have six or seven plot bunnies in their little cages, begging me to come out and play with them. The worst are the ones that escape in the night and start jumping on me in bed, forcing me to feed them. [face_worried]

23. Myri_Antilles

Myri_Antilles Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    I am beset by the evil things! :p

24. jade_saber8000

jade_saber8000 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 18, 2004
    I LOATH MY ZILLION KABLILION BUNNIES!!! I wish they'd just go away but noooo! They keep multiplying. The things are worse than ewoks!!!! Everytime I turn on my radio I'll here a song and it makes me think "Hey! THis could make a cool songfic! Now which canons to use....." The dumb things always give me bad ideas too. I tried writing this H/L story once. It so miserably failed so I didn't post it. I'm going bunny hunting now *switches off cd player* DAMN BUNNIES!!!!
    ~Gabby

25. Lurkalidth

Lurkalidth Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 5, 2003
    Um, yep. I have a plot bunny problem, too. Lol, you wouldn't know it to look at my (lack of) writing. Hopefully the ASPCA/RSPCA won't be after me.

But the thing is, these wascally wabbits usually spring up when I'm the *least* able to attend to them...like when my job has a double audit, for instance. It's like the bee that flies in your car window and stings you when your in the middle of a winding road. Grr!

But take a long weekend off, and--you guessed it--nada. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.