main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Another Galaxy

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DarthMarly, Sep 20, 2016.

1. DarthMarly

DarthMarly Jedi Master star 1

May 10, 2010
    Chapter Thirteen

Sith Lords

Anakin and Zolti took several days to return to the spot where the Jedi hid the transport. Trudging through the forest, areas often powdered with snow, Anakin lamented to Zolti most of the first day.

“This entire time, Zolti. Years. Palpatine,” he said, the pilot walking a couple of feet behind him.

“Mmm hmm,” Zolti said, sounding disinterested.

Anakin stopped short and turned quickly. “You don’t understand. Palpatine. He’s been there, the whole time. And thinking back, he convinced Padme to put in the vote of no confidence…and he became chancellor,” Anakin could feel himself growing angry again. “He played the Jedi. He played me. And he played my wife.”

Zolti looked at him, one eyebrow raised. “Sounds like a pretty standard Sith to me.”

Anakin felt like punching the smug idiot in the face. But as he looked at Zolti, he realized he had an excellent resource available. Calming himself, he turned and continued to walk.

“So…what are the Sith really like?”

Zolti laughed. “Well, I really only worked with Kaan. I would occasionally see some of the others, but I was always just waiting for Kaan, taking him from place to place.” Zolti sighed. “Honestly, he was great. Occasionally moody, but I’ve learned in recent days this applies to Jedi as well.”

Anakin snorted a laugh.

“He’d sit with me in the cockpit. We’d eat together. We’d talk about our families. He’d tell me dirty jokes he’d heard. We’d make fun of celebrities, politicians, the other Sith, the Jedi. He was like my brother, really,” Zolti said. “You know, I missed my sister’s wedding…by a thousand years I guess. And I miss my family and friends. But I also miss him.” He sighed. “And to hear what happened, that all the Sith destroyed themselves…well, that sounds like Kaan, so damned self-righteous sometimes, but…I’m sad. He was a person too. I know you think of them differently but…” his voice faded.

Anakin thought of Palpatine, someone he once considered a friend. But how much of that was real and how much manipulation?

And the idea Palpatine may have manipulated Padme made Anakin’s flesh crawl.

Zolti continued. “But your Palpatine…he sounds like quite the ambitious Sith. With no army, he single-handedly worked his way into power.”

“No…he used the Jedi as his army. The clones,” Anakin hissed.

“All I can say is you are working with a very cunning Sith,” Zolti said. “Kaan was smart and often ruthless, but there was a nobility about him. Many of them, in fact. Sure, they’d stab you in the back if it would give them the upper hand, but Kaan, and others, believed in bringing the Sith together, forming a galaxy-wide empire.” Zolti chuckled. “But for your Sith Lord to do this all on his own…well played.”

Anakin nodded. Yes, he had to admit, Palpatine deserved a round of applause…right before Anakin took off his head with his lightsaber.

Days later, Anakin and Zolti worked on stripping the hyperdrive from the transport, carefully packing and loading the mechanism onto the float cart.

“I like this area,” Zolti said as they worked. “When I first arrived, I lingered near the shore. A very kind group of people live near the yacht’s cave. Took me in for a bit, taught me their variation of the region’s language, showed me how to hunt the animals around here, fish. But then I wanted to explore, move inland. Such a beautiful planet. I’ve grown used to this world, honestly resigned myself to staying.”

“Obi-Wan sure seemed enchanted with it when we first arrived,” Anakin said, then stopped abruptly, something occurring to him for the first time. “Obi-Wan. He sensed you, the ship. He knew exactly where to come. We could have landed anywhere, but he pointed to right here, almost insisted that we land in this region. He could feel the ship through the Force.” Anakin began to laugh. “Good ol’ Obi-Wan. They call me the Chosen One, but sometimes I think he’s a far better Jedi.” He turned to Zolti with a grin. “Never tell him I said that.”

Zolti shrugged. “Of course.”

Anakin went back to his work, salvaging a few more necessary parts from the engine. “He’s always so calm, in tune with the Force. I was just freaking out.”

“Whoa, wait. What? You freak out? Never!” said Zolti, his voice drenched in sarcasm.

But Anakin laughed the comment off, having calmed a bit over the past day, feeling that with their arrival at the transport, progress was being made. Plus, he found himself enjoying Zolti’s company, his quick wit, his stories from a distant past. And making this connection between Obi-Wan and the ship made Anakin feel much better about his former master’s strange behavior upon first arriving in this galaxy. He sensed the ship and Zolti, and this led to the revelation of Palpatine as the Sith Lord. Yes, Obi-Wan proved yet again to be one with the Force, even if he didn’t know why he felt the way he did. Anakin almost laughed aloud. Who would guess the duo would discover a connection to the Sith twenty million light years away? Not even the great Obi-Wan.

Anakin let his mind wonder as they secured the materials, he and Zolti set to head back to the Tenebris at first light. He imagined Obi-Wan camped out somewhere, alone by a fire, perhaps meditating, reaching out to the Force. Anakin would find him once they got the ship flying, and Obi-Wan would have a plan on how to handle Palpatine, the time difference, everything. Despite the panic that seemed to always lay at the edge of his mind, he felt a bit of peace knowing Obi-Wan was somewhere not too far away, that Obi-Wan would know what to do next.

Neah and Obi-Wan walked toward the back of the hunting party, both carrying packs of food. A hunting scout returned the day before to tell the people of the river valley tribe the mammoths neared, and now the hunting party sought out a good location to wait for the herd. The mammoths moved in the direction of a canyon north of the river, about three miles from the village, so the party needed to find a good campsite nearby from which to work.

Spirits were high as the group marched along, having crossed the river an hour before, but weapons and packs made the going slow. The hunting party consisted of mostly young men and women, Obi-Wan realizing he and Neah might be some of the older members of the fifteen individuals, aside from one of the tribal elders.

He enjoyed walking beside Neah, asking her again to describe a mammoth, loving how she poetically spoke of her world. Over the past several days, he spent most of his time, other than his work fishing, with the woman. He brought her flowers he’d found yesterday, something he often saw in holopics, and she stared at them in delight before taking them, weaving them into a small head peace, and putting them in her hair, leaving one to tuck behind his ear. He felt silly until she kissed him, and he knew he’d done well, as the kiss soon grew into their most passionate yet. And while they still seemed a bit hesitant around one another, once their lips met, or he brushed over her hand with his, he was on fire.

“What was your happiest day?” Neah asked, taking his hand in hers.

He glanced over at her, wanting to say today, but he knew she’d raise her eyebrow, think him to be joking. But he wouldn’t be, of course. He’d never been happy like this.

He thought for a moment, realizing he’d experienced many tragic, dangerous, and frightening days over the years. Finally, one came to him.

“The day Qui-Gon chose me for his apprentice,” Obi-Wan said.

“Your father?” Neah asked.

“Yes…but not by blood,” Obi-Wan said, remembering he’d used the word father for Qui-Gon when he didn’t know many words.

“I understand,” she said.

“Everyone else my age either went off to work in the Agricultural Corps…um, with plants…or got chosen to train as warriors. I trained with Master Yoda, but…I was beginning to think I would never be picked by a Jedi Knight…um, warrior. Then Qui-Gon came and…well, I felt my time really began,” Obi-Wan said, feeling warm at the thought of Qui-Gon. The wind blew softly through the trees, and Obi-Wan could almost feel his master’s Force signature, that comforting, strong influence.

“I wish I could meet Qui-Gon,” Neah said.

“Yes…losing him was my saddest day,” he said, without hesitation. He turned to Neah. “What is your happiest day?”

“Like yours, when father began to train me as a storyteller. He always said I sang like a songbird. Being able to perform with my parents, my brother…I belonged,” she turned to him, a sad look in her eyes. “But when my brother and I discovered our home village gone, our family gone. And then losing him.” She sighed. “I have a couple of sad days.” Her smile came again. “But now you are here and…”

“We make camp here!” shouted the leader of the hunting party.

The group went to work setting up, the scout once again sent to check on the status of the mammoth herd. As darkness soon fell, people began to turn in early, excitement in the air over the impending hunt.

Neah and Obi-Wan set up the hide tent given to them, spreading furs on the ground inside. Crawling in, Obi-Wan realized the space had just enough room for two people to lie down – very close.

Snuggled together, Obi-Wan faced Neah, their noses inches apart, their bodies pressed together. Oh dear, he thought, wondering how he could control himself, once again wondering why the Force pressed in on him, seeming to compel him to reach for her.

“Well…ah…good night,” he said, staring at her long black eyelashes.

“Good night,” she said, leaning in to kiss him softly on the lips.

But the kiss didn’t stop there. Obi-Wan wrapped his arms around her and pulled her flush up against him.

Suddenly the sides of the tent began to move violently, and Obi-Wan sat up with a start.

“Obi-Wan and Neah! Obi-Wan and Neah!” came chanting voices from outside, then loud peals of laughter. The voices soon faded.

Obi-Wan looked back at Neah who sat up as well, and he could see her cheeks redden, despite the increasing darkness.

“Um…we should go to sleep,” she said, then laughed. “And be prepared. They are going to tease us tomorrow.”

Obi-Wan lay back down with Neah, wondering what this teasing would entail.

In the early hours of the morning, Obi-Wan awoke slowly, hearing a deep rumbling in the distance. Thinking it to be the weather, he yawned and began to slip back into sleep, nuzzling into Neah’s hair, which seemed to be all over the place.

The flap of their tent opened abruptly, the leader of the hunting party sticking his head inside, startling Obi-Wan to full alertness.

“The mammoths have arrived. Get ready.”

The man left, Obi-Wan hearing him alert the others. Neah sat up, turning to Obi-Wan with a sleepy smile.

“Come on, bear,” she said, using her term of endearment for him. “You’ll finally get to see a mammoth.”

Author’s Note: So what did call Obi-Wan to this part of the world: the Sith ship or Neah?
    Next time, the mammoth hunt gives Obi-Wan a chance to show his skills.

Thank you so much for reading. I love writing in this fandom. Take care, everyone!

Ewok Poet, AzureAngel2 and Kahara like this.
  2. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I am loving this story. I have so much good to think about it I can't even articulate most of it. But I really like what's happening with Neah and Obi-Wan. And I think it's kind of funny and ironic that hanging out with a Sith (who he knows is a Sith) actually seems to be turning Anakin into a better Jedi. Lol.

AzureAngel2, Kahara and DarthMarly like this.
  3. DarthMarly

May 10, 2010

Thank you so much! Your words encourage me as I continue to write. Take care!

4. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    Good! I think I'll keep encouraging you so you'll finish it so I can find out how it ends! [face_laugh]

5. DarthMarly

May 10, 2010
    Chapter Fourteen

Mammoth Hunt

Standing at the top of the rocky ridge overlooking the ravine the mammoth herd now lumbered through, Obi-Wan could not take his eyes off the majestic creatures.

Neah slipped her gloved hand into his. “Beautiful, aren’t they? And look how much food, how much clothing, even fuel, just one will provide.”

Obi-Wan just nodded. He’d seen some incredible animals throughout his travels as a Jedi, but something captured his heart about these creatures, just like this whole world captivated him. Their large bodies covered in thick brown fur, heavy tusks of white, and long snouts made them stand out from the other animals he already encountered.

But as he watched the hunting party gather together in a small circle, he felt a twinge of sadness at killing one of those creatures. Of course, they intended to use everything, and Obi-Wan came face-to-face with the rather tidy existence he’d become accustomed to as a citizen of a space-faring galactic republic. Sure, he’s had to kill creatures for food from time to time on various missions over the years, but nothing this grand. And most of his meals came pre-slaughtered. He almost chuckled aloud thinking about the occasional nerf steak dinner he and Mace indulged in at a steakhouse near the Temple. Neither man ever killed and butchered his own nerf.

“We need to get one of the smaller ones away from the others,” the leader told the group. “Once away from the herd, we can attack from all sides. Aim for the heart, the lungs. We may need to disable the animal like last time, so aim for major muscles in the legs. But make it quick.”

Neah placed her hand on Obi-Wan’s cheek. “We don’t want it to suffer. The people of this area, that hunt the mammoth, respect the animal. It is a gift,” she said to him. “It will already be terrified. We will work quickly.”

“I…I understand,” Obi-Wan said, studying her. Had she sensed his concern? Between Neah understanding his Basic and sensing his feelings, Obi-Wan began to suspect her to be Force-sensitive. But how could he explain such a thing?

Soon, the hunters spread apart, the mammoth herd moving toward the location of the humans. Neah moved toward a good vantage point along the ridge, out of the way and ready to observe, but not before giving Obi-Wan a long, passionate kiss for good luck.

Lingering toward the back of the group of humans, Obi-Wan knew the first step was to remove the selected beast from the rest of the herd, avoiding the largest male, as they often could be the most aggressive and dangerous. Neah told many a story of fallen hunters.

Then, events moved very quickly, Obi-Wan not having a chance to consider things further. With loud noises and shouts, the humans separated into small groups, frightening the herd into a stampede, Obi-Wan counting about a dozen animals. Through thrown stones and shouts, a lone mammoth soon stood, surrounded by the hunters.

“Aim your spears for the heart!” shouted the leader.

In that moment, Obi-Wan could feel the terror of the creature as well as the determination of his fellow hunters through the Force. Still, the animal’s fear touched him, and he suddenly needed this to end now. Situated toward the front of the animal, Obi-Wan raised his hand up.

“Wait!” he yelled, causing the other humans to pause. He brought back the spear he’d been issued, ready to throw, putting the Force behind his strength. Like Neah said, the animal shouldn’t suffer. This creature was a gift.

Suddenly, the mammoth reared up on its hind legs with a roar, the hunters falling back in panic. Obi-Wan heard Neah scream from the top of the ridge, his name echoing from her through the ravine.

Neah’s scream and the mammoth now moving quickly toward him brought Obi-Wan fully in the moment.

“Sorry, my friend,” he whispered, then reached out one last time through the Force, into the animal itself, visualizing the large heart. He threw the spear with all his strength and the added energy of the Force, piercing the organ. Within a moment, the animal fell to the ground, dead.

The hunters stood around in shock, not looking at the fallen beast, but Obi-Wan. The leader stepped forward.

“You…you brought it down with one blow?” he said, his eyes wide.

Obi-Wan turned to look at Neah up on the ridge. She stood in her furs, staring at him with a look of wonder. She moved slowly down to join the silent group.

Beginning to feel uncomfortable, Obi-Wan gave her a pleading look. She again seemed to know his feelings, sense his panic, for she grabbed his hand and lifted it.

“Obi-Wan the warrior, the bear, the hunter of mammoths! Obi-Wan from Beyond!” she proclaimed, and the group cheered loudly, surrounding him in a series of embraces and pats on the back.

The next several hours Obi-Wan watched the group take care of the mammoth quickly, some members working on the hide, others on the meat. Everyone refused his help, insisting he take a break since he brought down the beast himself. This was all for the best, because Obi-Wan’s stomach began to churn as he watched them butcher the mammoth. Soon, groups began heading back to the village, knowing they’d need to make multiple trips.

Neah took Obi-Wan away from the site, walking with him through the woods.

“When the mammoth reared on you, my heart stopped,” she said, wrapping one arm around his waist as they walked. He draped his arm over her shoulder, feeling the wonderful sensation of her closeness. “I knew I’d be working on a song about this hunt, but I didn’t know it would become a part of your song too.” She stopped and stepped before him. Her brown eyes met his, a curious light behind them. “You are different than us, aren’t you?”

Obi-Wan laughed nervously. “Well, my skin is quite a bit lighter and this red, rather floppy mess on my head…”

She shook her head, still looking at him seriously. “That is not what I mean. You can feel the world differently. I know.” She studied the ground, now looking puzzled herself. “But I don’t know how I know.”

Because you are like me, Obi-Wan wanted to say, now knowing full-well Neah could sense the Force too. And while he knew he might eventually be able to explain it to her, he still had a limited range of vocabulary. But would she understand his Basic? Or would she fear him? No, Neah didn’t seem to fear much, but he knew little about the faith of these people, only knowing they revered nature. The Force often came into conflict with religion, Obi-Wan able to name several examples from home.

“Um…when do we head to the coastal tribe? Tomorrow?” he asked, changing the subject.

She looked back up at him and gave him a sly smile, knowing he shifted the conversation on purpose. Still, she joined him at his side again, and they walked onward.

“After another couple of days. You are the hero, you will be wanted at the celebration,” she said.

“Celebration?”

“The killing of a mammoth is a big event around here. The tribe will celebrate, feast, dance, sing,” she explained, grinning at him. “And you will be the center of attention.”

Obi-Wan felt uncomfortable with this. “Maybe we should leave in the morning, and…”

“Absolutely not!” Neah laughed. “This valley makes some of the best sweets. I’m not missing out.”

Obi-Wan sighed heavily. As a Jedi, he’d been taught to get the job done and move on, not play hero. But he did enjoy the sweet cakes he’d already eaten…

By the evening the following day, after the entirety of the mammoth had been brought back to the community, the village burned with light, music, and happiness. Drums, flutes and strange string instruments Obi-Wan had never seen provided lively music, and everyone danced and laughed. Men, women, children, families all together, couples locked in heated embraces, Obi-Wan noticing a few sneak away from the group coming back some time later disheveled and happy. But no sneaking away for Obi-Wan; everyone wanted to dance with the slayer of the mammoth, the man from the Beyond.

Obi-Wan tasted some of the mammoth, a rich, satisfying meat, and sampled the desserts as well as a rather potent fermented drink. He perhaps drank a bit more than he normally would have at a cantina on Coruscant because he soon found himself loosening up a bit more than usual, dancing longer without feeling ridiculous, laughing at jokes he knew he only partly understood. And when he found his dance partner Neah, he uncharacteristically seized her and carried her away from the group into the darkness behind a nearby house.
    But before he could get his hands on her, Neah herself pushed his back against the wood of the building, ran her fingers aggressively through his hair, pressed her body against his, and kissed him hard. Obi-Wan wasted no time at all, his hands in her hair, then running up and down her body, moaning softly into the kiss, letting the pleasure seep through him.

“Obi-Wan,” Neah said softly as his lips traveled down her neck. The sound of his name spoken in such a seductive way made him quiver, and he pulled away, a new resolution in his heart.

“Neah…let’s sneak away to the guest house and…” he could not finish the sentence, as she’d taken over his lips again.

“Yes,” she finally breathed, grabbing his hand and pulling him through the darkened paths.

But then a cheer rang out from the gathering space, and the crowd called his name. Neah stopped, looking back at him. She sighed sadly.

“No…we need to return. You are the guest of honor. And I think they have the gift ready,” she said.

Obi-Wan must have gave Neah a desperate look, because she placed her hand on his cheek, smiling warmly.

“I want you as well, Obi-Wan,” she whispered, and hearing this statement from her set his whole body on fire.

He did not care about a gift. Neah was his gift. And he wanted her…now. He continued to move toward the guest house.

“Obi-Wan!” called a man, and the couple turned to see one of the village elders approaching. “I am sorry as I see you and the lovely storyteller are headed toward an evening of pleasure,” he began, and his phrasing made Obi-Wan burn with embarrassment. Neah blushed deeply as well. “But we have the gift for you. Please return.”

Obi-Wan and Neah came back to the celebration, the entire tribe waiting. The hunting party leader stepped forward, handing the Jedi a beaded necklace, Obi-Wan instantly recognizing the tip of his hunting spear as one of the decorations. They’d removed it from the heart of the mammoth to give to him as a token. Deeply touched, Obi-Wan allowed himself to be ushered to the center of the group, the elders surrounding him.

“Your story will go down in our tribe’s history,” said one.

“And we hope you will honor us by becoming a member of our group when you and Neah return from the coast,” said another.

“Deciding where to belong is important. So we would like to share with you the history of our people,” said an old man, who looked quite ancient compared to the others. “Neah sings of the accomplishments of folks, but one must also know the ordinary life of a people.”

Into the night, Obi-Wan listened as the elders spoke of the tribe, how they came to the valley, their reverence for nature, their travels and the other peoples they encountered. Soon, younger people moved in, replacing the elders, and finally Obi-Wan found himself sitting with a group of men about his age, indulging more in the fermented beverage and listening to the jokes, stories, and exaggerated bragging.

Deep into the night they talked and laughed, Obi-Wan beginning to feel a kinship with them as he’d felt with his fellow Jedi in the Temple, before everyone got spread across the galaxy due to the war.

Finally the group split up to their separate homes, Obi-Wan realizing Neah slipped away some time ago. Returning to the guest home, the fire burned, and he saw Neah sound asleep in her bed. Readying himself for the night, slightly intoxicated and pleasantly sleepy, he began to get under his furs.

“Obi-Wan,” came Neah’s soft voice. “Join me.”

Suddenly feeling wide awake, remembering their arousing encounter from earlier, Obi-Wan came to her side of the house, feeling nervous as he moved in beside her. Yes, he’d slept next to her before, but nothing stopped them now from continuing their intimacy.

Except a sleepy woman. Neah threw her arm around him and promptly went back to sleep. Obi-Wan almost laughed aloud at himself. Slow down, Kenobi, he thought, slipping into delightful dreams of dancing with Neah.

The next morning, waking up late beside Neah’s warmth, completely comfortable, well-rested, a sudden realization dawned on him: he’d resigned himself to staying on this world. He hadn’t considered his separation from Anakin for the past few days; he even made plans with Neah. And if he were being truly honest with himself, he wished for his former apprentice to never find him, return home on his own, reporting Obi-Wan lost in space.
    Should he be concerned about this new feeling? Or had the Jedi, the Sith, the wars, the Separatists versus the Republic, had it all simply drained him to the point that, given the opportunity as he now was, he could vanish and live happily ever after?

Neah’s sigh, and her arm sliding across his chest in her sleep, made him again slip into the pleasant moment, and he dozed the rest of the morning away.

Repairing the Sith yacht Tenebris was not going as easily as Anakin wanted. He knew he would eventually make the ship fly, pieced together with mechanisms a thousand years apart, but everything seemed to take longer than he expected. And he became increasingly aware that each minute that passed for him could be a day for Padme. Or longer.

That evening, Zolti and Anakin sat eating dinner, a delicious fish that Zolti caught in a nearby river that emptied into the sea.

“Three days, I think,” said Anakin.

“Three days?”

“Until we get the ship up and running. Then we can fly over the area, searching for Obi-Wan,” said Anakin, taking a moment to glare at the sneering statue, the companion of which sat in Palpatine’s office back on Coruscant.

“No,” said Zolti firmly.

Anakin’s eyes snapped back to the pilot. “What?”

“I said no,” Zolti repeated, his eyes narrowing. “We can’t just fly over the land in a space craft from another galaxy. The people that live here…they would be terrified.”

Anakin rolled his eyes. “Who cares? Then they need to start advancing.”

Zolti slammed down his utensil with a bang, which made Anakin jump. He rarely saw the pilot angry, the man always seeming casual, taking things in stride.

“What kind of Jedi are you?” he asked harshly. “Don’t you care about the people here?”

“Yes, but…”

“Even my master, a Sith Lord, would be more courteous. Kriff, he’d be out getting to know the locals. He was that kind of guy,” Zolti said.

Anakin shook his head. “I don’t think you understand the magnitude of the situation back home and …”

“No, I think I understand that you are selfish and short-sighted,” Zolti snapped back. “I have gotten to know the people here. They cared for me, helped me when I first ventured away from Tenebris. You spend one night with them, get an elk’s rack from them, and suddenly you know it all.”

Anakin could feel his blood boiling. Insufferable man, he thought.

“Well, I’m taking the ship out whether you like it or not,” Anakin said. “This is a matter of great importance.”

“It’s my ship,” Zolti hissed back. “And you would take it over my dead body.” He rose, threw down his napkin, and folded his arms across his chest.

I can take it, you know, Anakin thought, staring up at Zolti with disdain. I can kill you. I’ve killed an entire tribe of Sand People within minutes. I could choke you right here, throw
    your body into the sea.

A weakness filled Anakin suddenly when he realized his line of thinking. Would he kill Zolti, who’d done nothing but help him, shown him kindness, even fed him? Anakin suddenly felt sick. Rising quickly, he dashed to the ‘fresher in his room, making sure to lock the door behind him. Retching, his eyes filled with tears, and he finally slid to the floor, sobbing. Relaxing after he couldn’t cry anymore, he simply leaned against the refresher wall, eyes swollen, wishing he had Padme or Obi-Wan there to comfort him.

“Anakin?” came Zolti’s voice from the other side of the door. “You okay?”

“Yes,” Anakin lied. “I’m sorry…you are right. About flying over the people.”

“When we’re done with the ship, we’ll go to the coastal tribe, check for leads. They see a lot of travelers.” said Zolti.

“Okay.”

Anakin did not emerge from his room until much later, finding Zolti reading in the study. Zolti looked up at him, concerned, as Anakin took a seat across from him.

“You scare me, Jedi,” Zolti said, putting down his data pad.

“I feel the pull of the Dark Side,” Anakin admitted quietly. “I scare myself.”

Zolti nodded, then laughed. “Well, the Dark Side isn’t so bad.” He jumped up to the cabinet housing Lord Kaan’s holocron collection, pulled a key from his pocket, and unlocked the door.

Anakin leaped up, panicked. “No…I can’t. I…”

“Cool it,” said Zolti. “We need a laugh.” He grabbed one of the cubes and relocked the cabinet. “This is the holocron of the Sith comedian. Things are getting too serious around here. Open this so we can have a good laugh.”

Anakin took the cube, which immediately lit, a small holoimage projected onto the nearby table, a rather short, stout man with bright eyes looking at them. Anakin sat next to Zolti.

“So, a Gungan, a Hutt, and a Wookie walk into a cantina…” the man’s face scrunched up. “No, wait…not a Hutt, because they would slither. Was it an Ithorian…no, but that would not fit the punchline…”

Anakin laughed hard and looked over at an amused Zolti. “He’s terrible.”

“Oh yes. So bad. That’s the funny part,” Zolti said.

The two men continued to watch the struggling Sith comedian, Anakin feeling a bit better, but also a twinge of lingering concern. The Dark Side called to him, and he needed Padme, he needed Obi-Wan, to keep the darkness away.

Author’s Note: In the next chapter, Zolti and Anakin begin to search for Obi-Wan, and Neah asks her Jedi an important question.

Thank you for reading. Have a wonderful day, everyone!

6. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    *singsong* I think I know what she's gonna ask him!@};-

7. EGKenobi

EGKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    This is an awesome story. Really love the characterisations, also love the way you've written the natives interaction with Obi-Wan as well.

Great stuff. Please let me know when you update this.

Many thanks

Emyr

8. DarthMarly

May 10, 2010

Thank you so much! I've really enjoyed developing both Anakin and Obi-Wan in this story as well as using a setting I've always found fascinating. I hope you continue to enjoy the story. Take care!

9. DarthMarly

May 10, 2010
    Chapter Fifteen

Along the Coast

Neah and Obi-Wan left the river valley tribe two days prior, on their week-long trek to the coastal community in which Neah would perform as storyteller. The weather held out nicely for them, the ground still hard with cold, but the skies blue and clear, the ever-present chill coupled with bright sun.

Obi-Wan breathed deeply as they walked the rudimentary trail hugging the river. The air felt cleansing, and he felt happy and content. In front of him, Neah walked along, humming a tune and adjusting her pack from time to time, and Obi-Wan allowed himself a moment to enjoy how her body moved. Her hair swayed from side to side, and he remembered how it felt when he ran his fingers through it. His eyes moved further down to her hips, and a small smile graced his lips, imagining his hands on her.

They hadn’t moved too much further in intimacy since the night of the hunt celebration, a shyness seeming to come over them both when they came to a solo moment. But this didn’t stop Obi-Wan’s mind from wondering, and he knew he’d get up the courage soon. He was a Jedi after all, known for bravery and performance and…well, not romance. Should he make a move? And what move would that be? He wished suddenly for Anakin, to speak candidly with him, without embarrassment or the shadow of Jedi duty hanging over him. Just a friend talking to another friend about how to woe a woman.

Obi-Wan almost crashed into Neah.

“Huh,” he said, looking up, realizing he’d been fixated on her rear for quite some time, daydreaming.

She laughed. “How about lunch?”

He grinned sheepishly. “Yes. Sure. Of course.”

They sat together along the river, watching the water flow to the west, to the sea. He could already smell the salt in the air as they ate the dried meat and fruit. A loud singing sound, something between a screech and a pleasant melody, came from overhead, and Obi-Wan looked up to see a large bird circling.

“What is that called?” he asked, then gasped as the bird took a sudden dive and scooped a large fish from the river. “Wow.”

“An eagle,” Neah said. “I wish fishing were that easy for me.”

Obi-Wan considered. “I think that should be your animal.”

Neah looked over, rewarding Obi-Wan with a broad smile, her face lighting up. “Me? An eagle?”

“I saw these when I first came to this planet…um…land,” Obi-Wan explained. “They observe…like you. And sing…like you. And they are beautiful…like you.”

Obi-Wan almost groaned, knowing he probably sounded incredibly cheesy, but Neah stood up, laughing, stretching her arms out like wings and imitating the song of the eagle. She turned and looked down at him.

“Oh…I so love being an eagle. Thank you. The eagle and the bear, huh?”

Obi-Wan nodded as she sat back down next to him, their shoulders now together. He felt very aware of her closeness.

“I…ah…still haven’t seen a bear,” he said.

“Some black bears live near the coast. The people see them often. I will ask for them to show us. You should see your animal,” she smiled again, returning to her food. “An eagle.”

“I love you, Neah,” he said suddenly, in Basic.

She looked at him, puzzled. “What does that mean?”

“Um…love…love,” he repeated, the second time using the word from her language which seemed to mean greatly liking something, although he suspected the meanings to be a little different. “Love,” he began, saying the word in Basic again and continuing in her tongue. “Means…I care for you greatly and…and…find you irresistible…and…” Goodness, was he really saying these things? And why did he need to explain this…he could feel his face reddening. She understood some of his Basic before, why not at this moment?

But after he paused, she seemed to understand, her face becoming serious. “Oh…I…love…does this mean that you want to be with the person all the time?”

“Yes,” he said, his face leaning towards her.

“And they make you happier than you ever thought you could be? Like you are warm and glowing inside, like the sun?”

“Yes,” he said, leaning further until their faces were inches apart.

“And the person…you cannot imagine what comes next if they are not there?”

“Yes,” he said, his lips just brushing against hers.

“Then…I love you,” she said, this time in Basic.

The kiss, soft at first but moving into passionate, engulfed Obi-Wan. Love…yes, he loved Neah, didn’t have to think about that too deeply. She’d had him since he awoke from his injury, since the first time he heard her, saw her. And this felt different from the other women he’d flirted with over the years. This felt deeper, and he no longer felt the need to push this aside for the Jedi. Here, on this world, he could be the version of himself who was happier, who loved another freely, and received love in return.

They broke apart, smiling at one another. A splashing and honking sound from the river drew their attention. Obi-Wan saw a slick-looking, large grey animal swimming about several yards into the current. The honking noise sounded raspy, and he frowned.

“That’s not a bear, is it?” he asked.

“That is a seal. And that means we are getting closer,” she said, returning to her food.

Obi-Wan nodded, taking a bite of a fruit called an apple, wondering what came next now that they had professed their love for one another.

Both Anakin and Zolti could not keep the ridiculously silly grins off their faces, and Anakin finally gave into the sheer joy by letting out a loud whoop, Zolti joining in the cheering. The Tenebris flew fast over the ocean, and Zolti, as soon as they were far out to sea, land out of sight, punched her up toward the stratosphere.

“Kriff, it feels good to fly again,” he shouted in glee. “Woo hoo!!!”

Anakin again cheered as they entered outer space, all the life support systems kicking in. Yes, the Tenebris worked! Anakin mentally added this to his list of accomplishments – fixing a ship with parts a thousand years apart.

The ship orbited the planet a couple of times, moving out past the single moon. Zolti then let the ship drift, staring at the blue world.

“I…I never thought I would leave that world…but…well,” Zolti stopped talking, choked up, and Anakin looked over to see his cheeks wet. Zolti turned to him, giving the Jedi a teary smile. “Thank you.”

“No, thank you. I was lucky to find you,” he said, then laughed. “Lucky you had the misfortune to end up here as well.”

Zolti sniffed in acknowledgement, and both men glanced out the view port toward the outer part of the system.

“You sure your master is alive?” Zolti asked. “We can head toward the gas giant now, look for the anomaly.”

Anakin studied the blue dot again, thinking about Obi-Wan down there. Despite Zolti’s suggestions the Jedi Master could be dead from his fall after the wolf attack, Anakin felt certain the man was alive. He imagined Obi-Wan wondering the woods alone, solitarily meditating and doing the typical Obi-Wan things, like strategizing a next step, planning a lecture he’d give Anakin, communing with the Force. These thoughts comforted Anakin, the steadfast Obi-Wan, the one he could always count on for everything. No, he’d taken Obi-Wan for granted in the past, but he wouldn’t anymore, now that he’d experienced such temptations from the Dark Side. Obi-Wan and Padme kept him in the Light, and with Padme so far away, and possibly now in his past, he needed Obi-Wan more than ever.

“Yes…please Zolti,” Anakin said. “We need to go back for him.”

Zolti nodded, and the ship began to slowly move back toward the planet.

“Honestly, I’m little terrified to go home,” Zolti said quietly. “I…I suppose I don’t even have a home. I wonder if they reported me missing. And Lord Kaan…what did he think? My sister?” He sighed. “I did plan on living out my days here. This world is quite beautiful, has everything a person could want. But to go home…have real caf again.”

“You’ll have a home with me,” Anakin assured him. “With the Jedi.”

Zolti laughed. “A former Sith pilot flying for the Jedi?” He raised his eyebrow and shot Anakin a comically suspicious look. “You just want those holocrons for the Jedi archives.”

Anakin hadn’t considered this, having tried to push those holocrons from his mind. But yes, the Jedi would probably gain a lot from the collection of artifacts on this ship.

“Perhaps,” admitted Anakin. “But the Jedi way is to help people…and I am greatly indebted to you.”

The planet grew larger as they approached.

“What if we never find your friend?” Zolti asked. “Do we have a time limit? Remember, years could be passing with each day.”

“Two weeks,” Anakin said with finality. He’d considered this before. “But I need Obi-Wan. We need all the best Jedi to go up against Palpatine. And he’s the best.”

Zolti nodded as the Tenebris hit the atmosphere, the luxury ship only tilting slightly with the impact.

Later that evening, after the sun set, Neah and Obi-Wan made camp. The couple found a small cave just up the hill from the river, overlooking the valley. As Neah built a fire in the entrance and began cooking the fish they’d caught, Obi-Wan arranged the furs and made the space comfortable for the night. He worked slowly, eyeing her from time to time. At some point in the afternoon, Neah grew very quiet, and Obi-Wan wondered about this.

She remained silent throughout dinner, Obi-Wan commenting on the tasty herbs she’d picked to flavor the fish, trying to solicit a response other than a thank you. Finally, as she finished her meal, she put the bones aside, sighed deeply, squared her shoulders, and looked up at him. Obi-Wan felt his stomach drop; she was about to say something important, he knew this face, her body language.

“Obi-Wan…I want to ask you something.” Her voice was quiet, crisp, and clear.

“Oh…okay,” he stammered, not sure what she was going to say.

“I…might sound a little forthcoming…but…well, and I know you want to find your brother and maybe return home,” she continued, losing her confidence a bit.

“My brother yes…home, not so much,” Obi-Wan chuckled, trying to lighten the sudden tension between them.

“Well, I was wondering…um…would you stay with me…for…forever?” she asked, her voice suddenly trembling. “Would you be my mate?”

Obi-Wan felt his jaw drop and his eyes widen. His heart knocked in his chest as he watched her stare intently at him, biting her lip.

“Yes,” he said without hesitation.

“You…you will?” she asked, and he could see her whole body shaking now. He could feel his own body tingling, his nerves coming to life, everything sensitive with anticipation.

“Yes,” he cried, leaping up, Neah joining him. “Yes!” He grabbed her, and they kissed deeply before he pulled back. “Do we need to plan some sort of ceremony or celebration or vows?” He thought of the dozens of such marriage traditions he knew from his home galaxy.

“Ceremony?” she looked at him puzzled, then laughed. “No…we just sort of tell people we are mated.”

Obi-Wan laughed hard, picked her up, and swung her around. How delightfully simple, just tell folks you are mated.

He put her down. “What now?”

Neah’s dark eyes glowed mischievously. “I think you know…unless you want to wait until…”

“Absolutely not,” he said, crushing her to him, soon finding himself lying next to her on the furs in a tangle of limbs and discarded clothing.

Mid-morning the next day, Obi-Wan lie on his back staring at the roof of the small cave, knowing he had the dumbest, goofiest grin on his face and not caring at all. Next to him, catching her breath, lay Neah, and Obi-Wan took a long moment to once again admire her naked body, half draped over his.

“I think…” he said, trying to reclaim some semblance of control which he’d lost completely some time ago. “I think we are getting better.”

Neah giggled and sat up. Obi-Wan placed his hand on her bare back, under her tousled hair, admiring her bronze skin, loving and now knowing those curves well.

Their first time the previous evening had been a learning experience, and they met it with good humor and pleasure that seemed to overwhelm both of them. Dozing afterward, they both awoke hours later to rekindle the dying fire but neglected to get dressed. Neah then gave him an anatomy vocabulary lesson, which inevitably led to further intimacy. After this second time, Obi-Wan, lying awake after Neah went to sleep, wondered how he would ever be able to do anything else. He simply wanted to be with Neah, naked under these furs, for the rest of his life.

And that is what happened the next morning, neither wanting to get up, talking and touching and laughing the day away. Perfect, Obi-Wan thought, feeling completely at peace, his past life as a general, a warrior, but a mere shadow.

Neah sighed heavily and turned to him. “Well, we will at least need to leave tomorrow. The coastal tribe is expecting me. Runners and hunters will probably have passed on the word I left the valley.”

“But I like it here, in this cave,” Obi-Wan said in an exaggerated whine.

Neah joined him again, pulling the furs over them as a cold air passed through their cave.

“We will be together there. Everywhere. You are my mate,” she said, kissed his nose.

“And you are mine, darling Neah,” he said, kissing her eyelids, then her nose, before nuzzling into her hair.

“I should work on my songs,” she said, but Obi-Wan had now moved down her body, under the furs, sucking on her neck, his hands moving all over her. He felt aroused again, and he could feel the Force glittered around him and Neah, encouraging him to engage with her again, make love to her over and over. He moved down further with his mouth, hearing Neah sigh. “All right, bear,” she said, grabbing the furs and covering them completely.

Days later, Zolti and Anakin walked along the beach, the roar of the waves causing them both to talk rather loudly.

Zolti pointed ahead to a line of smoke drifting toward the sky from the forest slightly inland.

“There they are,” he said. “Should be there in about an hour. These really are great people.”

But not ten minutes passed before a group of children came running down the beach.

“Zolti! Zolti!” they cried, running up to greet the man, a few even hugging him.

Then the kids noticed Anakin and everything stopped. Anakin felt a bit uncomfortable after several seconds of this, but the oldest boy, looking to be about ten, began talking rapidly to Zolti.

Zolti turned around, a look of excitement lighting up his face.

“He says you look similar to the man who arrived yesterday, traveling with the storyteller,” Zolti said. “You both have pale skin.”

Anakin’s heart began to race. “What else?”

Zolti and the boy talked more, and finally Zolti turned to Anakin. “He is the companion to the storyteller Neah…”

“What is a storyteller?”

“An entertainer. A historian. Travels around from group to group, sharing histories, stories, skills,” Zolti explained. “Having a storyteller visit is always a highlight for the people in a community.” Zolti paused. “I asked him what the man looks like. The boy says hair like the sun, blue eyes. This matches the man I saw in the woods, fighting the wolves…”

But Anakin dashed down the beach toward the smoke, the kids running around him. Obi-Wan…it had to be Obi-Wan.

The children turned inland a bit toward the forest, and Anakin followed, but slowed when Zolti caught up to him.

“We cannot just follow the children. We need to check in with the elders of the tribe. We need…”

“I don’t care about their stupid rules. Obi-Wan is here and…”

Zolti rolled his eyes. “Then you will be considered a hostile and…”

“Fine,” Anakin shouted, impatient to see his former master again.

The children led them into the village, a small community that smelled of the sea and smoked fish. The homes, made of wood, seemed sturdy, perfect for the coastal weather and cooler climate. Anakin got a sudden feeling of comfort and home in this space, and if he weren’t so bent of getting Obi-Wan back, he might feel almost relaxed.

The older members of the tribe gathered together in the middle of the village, greeting Zolti like an old friend. Anakin could sense them exchanging pleasantries by the tones of their voices and gestures, and he began to rock back and forth on his heels, trying not to glare daggers at the back of Zolti’s head. When he turned around, he saw most of the community gathered, regarding him, so he gave them a smile and tried to calm himself.

Finally, Zolti turned to Anakin. “The man who looked like you arrived yesterday, as the kids said.” Then a sly smile spread across his face. “But…well, I must say, you Jedi are far more interesting than I previously thought.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, the leader here says the man is the mate of the storyteller, Neah.”

Anakin’s brow furrowed in dismay. “What? Mate…like, um…”

“Let’s go with husband,” Zolti laughed.

Anakin could feel his jaw drop. “This can’t be Obi-Wan then…”

“Obi-Wan!” repeated one of the older women, nodding and smiling. Then she spoke in their native tongue.

Zolti turned to Anakin, his smile even wider. “Seems that Neah and Obi-Wan are recently mated. And the tribe adores them because they make such a beautiful couple, and you can see how much they care for one another.”

Anakin just stared at Zolti, his mouth hanging open, knowing he looked like an idiot, but he could not piece all the ideas presented together. Obi-Wan, the mate of some woman? Had Obi-Wan hit his head in the fall, forgetting his identity? The Jedi Master did have a tendency to get knocked out at inopportune times. Yes…that had to be the answer.

“Where is he?” Anakin demanded, looking at the elders.

The same woman spoke, and Zolti began to laugh hard. The others chimed in with good-natured chuckling.

“What?” Anakin said, trying to keep from shouting.

“He and the storyteller have gone for a walk in the woods,” Zolti explained. “Near the meadow, to be alone. Like all newly mated couples, they need their alone time, cannot keep their hands off one another.”

“Where?” Anakin now shouted.

Zolti nodded to the path leading outside the village, and Anakin ran, reaching out through the Force for Obi-Wan. Yes! He could sense him up ahead. Finally, the two Jedi would be reunited.

Author’s Note: Next time, Anakin finds Obi-Wan. How do you think Anakin will react to Neah? How will Obi-Wan take the news of the time change as well as of Palpatine being the Sith Lord?

Thank you for reading! Hope you are enjoying the story. Only a couple more chapters left. Take care, and may the Force be with you!

10. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    Am l enjoying the story? Am l enjoying the story?! Hell yeah I'm enjoying the story! More, please!

11. DarthMarly

May 10, 2010
    Chapter Sixteen

Revelations

Anakin moved through the forest swiftly, following Obi-Wan’s Force signature. His mind swam with everything he needed to tell Obi-Wan. Hopefully, they would get back to the Tenebris by the next day, take off to search for the anomaly soon after. Then he and Obi-Wan would take on the Chancellor together.

Something made Anakin stop abruptly. Holding his breath and listening, the sounds of the forest filled the air, birds chirping, trees rustling in the breeze, the babbling of a small creek nearby. And singing…yes, that’s why he stopped. The sound of a woman singing. Beautiful, ethereal, he understood nothing of what she said, but the sound captivated him.

Then a man joined in, but only on occasion, his deep voice complementing hers nicely. And with a shocking realization, Anakin knew the singing man was Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Anakin heard Obi-Wan sing perhaps a handful of times in the many years he knew the man. His main vocal talents usually consisted of whistling while working and the occasional humming. But this singing…not usual for Obi-Wan but definitely his former master.

He’s with his mate, Anakin realized, remembering what the villagers said, but that thought seemed quite preposterous, until now. Anakin moved forward again, this time with some stealth, following the sound of music, hoping not to catch Obi-Wan in a compromising position.

Still amongst the trees, the forest dipped a bit and ended, a meadow beyond with wildflowers and green grass, running into dunes in the distance. At the bottom of the small hill, Anakin finally spotted the couple, and he froze, the view shocking him. Sitting on some furs spread out on the grass, a beautiful black-haired, bronze-skinned woman leaned her back against a tree, singing confidently and eloquently. Perpendicular to her, lying on the furs as well with his head in her lap, Obi-Wan joined in the song, his eyes closed, appearing serene. His hands clasped one of the woman’s to his chest while her other hand ran through his hair.

His hair a bit longer, his beard a bit scruffier, Obi-Wan looked happier and far more peaceful than Anakin had ever seen, and the younger man found himself just staring at the couple, who seemed oblivious to his arrival. Anakin experienced several emotions within the span of mere seconds. First came confusion, as this man, his master, taught him the Code which he now seemed to break without a care in the world. Next, jealousy, and for reasons which surprised Obi-Wan. Here lie Obi-Wan playing house with some woman while Anakin worried about returning home, fighting a Sith head of state. She’d distracted Obi-Wan from far more important matters. Anakin shook his head, feeling ridiculous. Obi-Wan didn’t know about these revelations…

Then came longing. Seeing such a loving picture in front of him made him miss Padme even more.

Finally, as Anakin reached out and brushed against Obi-Wan through the Force, the man not even seeming to notice, so captivated by his woman, he felt happy. Truly happy. He’d never seen Obi-Wan so happy before, and that alone made him feel joy. Always strict, always proper, always lecturing, teaching some lesson, now merely lounging in the woods with beautiful woman…and perhaps more than lounging if one could guess their previous activities from the state of their hair and rumpled clothing. An involuntary grin spread across Anakin’s face.

“Anakin?”

Blinking himself out of his thoughts, Anakin realized Obi-Wan was rising to his feet, staring shocked at him. The woman rose as well.

“Anakin?” she echoed, her light, clear voice pronouncing his name like a melody.

Obi-Wan walked toward him, disbelief on his brow. Finally, the two Jedi stood three feet apart, the woman lingering further back.

Regarding Obi-Wan closely now, Anakin realized his former master looked younger, healthier, his blue eyes bright and beaming with his usual wit…and something else. He looked excellent for a man who’d been attacked by wolves and fallen from a high cliff.

Each man took a step toward one another and embraced, holding each other tight. Still in his Jedi robes himself, Anakin found Obi-Wan wore only hides and furs, and he smelled of the forest.

“Where have you been?” Obi-Wan asked, his voice muffled in Anakin’s shoulder.

Anakin looked beyond Obi-Wan to see the woman approaching slowly, smiling broadly at both men. The Jedi separated.

“You did not meet me at our decided place and time, master” Anakin said, now letting amusement slip into his voice. Obi-Wan opened his mouth to answer, but Anakin continued. “Perhaps you got a bit…distracted.”

Obi-Wan bit his lip and turned crimson, rewarding Anakin, who could not keep the broad, smug grin from spreading across his face. Yes, Master Kenobi, try to talk yourself out of this one.

“Well…um…ah…you see, I fell and got hurt and Neah found me and we…um,” stammered Obi-Wan, looking intently at the ground.

Anakin raised his eyebrows, enjoying Obi-Wan’s discomfort.

“I can guess what you all did,” Anakin teased, nodding to Obi-Wan’s mussed up hair.

Obi-Wan’s eyes narrowed. “Now Anakin, no need to be…”

“Anakin,” the woman…Neah…said, now standing beside Obi-Wan, her face lit up. “Brother,” she continued, this time in Basic.

Stepping forward, she embraced Anakin, surprising the younger man. She called him brother. Had Obi-Wan claimed him to be his brother? Anakin felt overwhelmed for a moment, the teasing of Obi-Wan put on hold, although something to definitely approach later. Yes…definitely.

“Anakin, this is Neah…my…mate,” Obi-Wan said, finishing the sentence looking directly into Anakin’s eyes, as if challenging him to say something snide again.

Taking both Neah’s hands into his, he leaned forward and kissed her cheek. “Sister,” he said. “Neah.”

She laughed, her eyes shining up at him, but then shifting to look behind him. Anakin turned to see Zolti emerge from the woods.

Obi-Wan looked shocked. “You…the wolves…you killed one…you speak Basic.”

“Zolti!” proclaimed Neah, then stepped forward, placing both her palms on Zolti’s face, speaking rapidly in her tongue. Zolti responded, and the two went back and forth for some time in apparent friendly conversation.

“What’s going on?” Anakin asked.

“She says she’s heard of me, the man with midnight skin and snow hair,” Zolti said, approaching Obi-Wan with an outstretched hand. “Hmmm…I rather like that, poetic. I’m Zolti. Nice to officially meet you, Obi-Wan.”

Obi-Wan looked baffled, but put on his best formal, official look, as Anakin had seen hundreds of times over the years, and shook Zolti’s hand.

“Zolti encountered the anomaly as well, been stranded on this world for over two years,” Anakin explained. “Listen, Obi-Wan…”

“Ah…Anakin,” Zolti said, grabbing him by the shoulder and pulling him aside, whispering in his ear. “Remember how you found out about the time change and the ship and your friend being a Sith…”

“He is no longer my friend…”

“Whatever. Remember how you found that out over several days? Weeks? Well, imagine how your master here might feel learning it all over the space of several seconds. And it looks like he’s made plans for the future…plans for this world.”

Anakin snapped his gaze back to Obi-Wan, who spoke with Neah in the language of this planet, their faces close together. He watched as Neah leaned in to kiss Obi-Wan, the Jedi yielding, his whole being softening into her. Anakin felt suddenly apprehensive about telling Obi-Wan everything, a little protective even. He’d done a lot of reflecting on his relationship with Obi-Wan, and here, once again, comes Anakin to upset Obi-Wan’s plans. Guilt fell upon him.

“I will walk with Neah back to the village, give you two some time,” Zolti said.

Soon, Neah and Zolti disappeared, and the two men sat down together on a nearby log.

“So…Neah, huh?” Anakin began, deciding to go back to the teasing. That was easier, he realized.

Obi-Wan studied the ground. “Yes…things just sort of happened,” Obi-Wan said, then continued, quieter. “I fell in love with this place…and with Neah.” He laughed suddenly, and while Obi-Wan normally had a pleasant, deep laugh, a new lightness made it even more delightful. “Anakin, you do not know how many times I wished you were here, to talk to about these…feelings. I’ve never experienced this before, never fallen in love, well, at least like this. I didn’t think like a Jedi…and I liked it. I have so much to talk with you about. Questions. I think…I think I understand some things better now…and I’m sorry for, well, perhaps judging you and…”

Anakin looked at Obi-Wan, his mouth hanging open. He’d longed to reach this point with his master, a time when they were no longer master and padawan but true friends. And here Obi-Wan actually spoke with him candidly, about very un-Jedi things. Anakin momentarily forgot his own news and listened as Obi-Wan launched into his story, of adventure in the wilderness and romance and meeting people and fishing and hunting. At some point toward the end, when Obi-Wan recalled Neah asking to be his mate, a horn sounded in the distance, signaling the evening meal, and the two men began walking back to the village.

“And I know it’s not the Jedi way, to take a mate but…”

“You fell in love,” Anakin finished. “I get it. The Jedi Code is wrong about some things.”

Obi-Wan just nodded. The village came into view in the distance.

“Where have you been?”

Anakin hesitated, his own story crashing down upon him, a different journey of discovery than Obi-Wan’s.

“I…I found Zolti and have been with him since, around the time we were supposed to meet.”

“Another castaway,” Obi-Wan sighed, then grew excited, speaking rapidly. “We can live here, Anakin. Make a life here. Neah and I planned on returning to the valley. You come too…my brother. Work, live. I plan on becoming a fisherman. Building a home.” He sighed, looking at Anakin warmly. “I don’t think you realize how this feels for me. I’ve been a Jedi since birth. Living as a man free from the Code…it’s a breath of fresh air I didn’t realize I needed to take.”

Anakin could not speak now, thinking about Obi-Wan’s life, his dedication to the Order, and all they asked of him, including Qui-Gon’s dying wish to train himself, not an easy task. Yes, this journey made him a new man…still the same, yet with a new aura from the Force refreshing his soul.

“Where have you and Zolti been?”

“Inland…then the coast. His ship is down the ways a bit. Like ours, it was damaged in the anomaly. But…” he paused. Tell him…but then he’ll turn back into Master Kenobi.

But the galaxy needs Master Kenobi.

Anakin opened his mouth, closed it, coughed, and fiddled with his hair. At the edge of the village, Obi-Wan stopped, looking at Anakin in a baffled expression.

“What’s wrong with you?”

“Anakin. Obi-Wan,” came Neah’s voice, and she emerged, joining the men and pulling them into the community.

The next few hours became a whirlwind of activity. The tribe all gathered together to dine with the visitors, and Anakin relied heavily on Zolti for translation, marveling at Obi-Wan’s ease of communication. Night fell swiftly, the sound of the ocean filling the dark. Soon, people gravitated toward their homes, Obi-Wan bidding Anakin good night with a tight embrace before being pulled by a giggling Neah to the guest home next to Anakin and Zolti’s, Obi-Wan looking eager and hungry for her, giving Anakin a sheepish glance before disappearing into the home.

Once inside his own home, Anakin began to pace as Zolti laid out his bedding.

“Why didn’t you tell him?” Zolti asked, lying down on his back, hands behind his head, studying the Jedi.

“Because he seemed so damn happy. And that is not a usual thing for Obi-Wan Kenobi,” Anakin said, exasperated.

“Then let’s sneak away. Now. Leave him here.”

“I thought of that,” Anakin admitted. “But the galaxy needs him. To fight the Sith.”

Zolti shrugged. “Years may have passed. Your Sith Lord is probably dead, if he is human. And aren’t you the Chosen One, to bring balance to the Force? Who is this Obi-Wan? He seems happy here. I told you, this is a pleasant place.”

“But I need him!” Anakin finally admitting in what came out as an unintentionally dramatic lamentation.

Zolti rolled his eyes. “Let’s just go. Now. And…”

“But I need him! If Padme is gone, Obi-Wan is the only one who can keep me from the Dark Side!”

“What?”

And suddenly, Anakin began talking, telling Zolti about the Sand People, the entire incident on Tatooine, his mother, the cries of the tribe as he killed them, every single one. He’d never told anyone before, no one knew except Padme, and even she didn’t know the details that came pouring from Anakin now. As he spoke, Zolti sat up slowly on his bed, regarding Anakin with an intense gaze.

Anakin stopped abruptly, putting his face in his hands, trying to recollect himself. When he looked back up, the pilot stood, a few feet away, his eyes sparkling warmly at Anakin, the hint of a small smile gracing his lips. Zolti, who Anakin would normally consider a handsome man, now looked slightly sinister. The golden gleam in his dark eyes unsettled Anakin.

“Does Obi-Wan know about this? The Sand People? You…murdering them?”

The way Zolti spoke, in a low, steady voice, made Anakin shudder. Murder. Yes, he’d murdered. The unarmed. Children. And he still felt no remorse. Yes, they deserved to die.

“No. Only Padme.”

“Your wife…a senator, right? She knows?”

“Yes,” said Anakin, the memories of that night flooding his mind. What if Obi-Wan found out?

“Hmmm…you are an interesting man, Anakin,” Zolti said. “You’ve definitely touched the Dark Side.”

“That’s why I need Obi-Wan!” Anakin cried moving toward the doorway but stopping as Zolti put his hand gently on his shoulder

“You are being selfish again, Anakin,” Zolti finally said, his voice the usual casual, the strange look gone as sudden as it came on. “He’s happy here. Let’s just leave him. Ignorance is bliss, as they say. And if he’d been working all his life, including training you, he’s due for some time off. Put someone else’s needs first.”

Anakin looked at the ground, thinking. He would have the other Jedi to help with Palpatine…if he did still live. Master Yoda even, although he was already old when Anakin left. Was he being selfish? Obi-Wan gave him years…sacrificed everything for Anakin. He knew the moment he told Obi-Wan, the little happiness bubble the Jedi Master existed in would pop, and they would be on their way.

“I’ll pack,” Zolti said, beginning to grab their things.

“Okay,” said Anakin numbly. Yes, this was right. Just slip away. He strained his senses slightly, hearing laughter and muffled voices from the next home. Neah and Obi-Wan. Leave Obi-Wan to his mate, his new home, his new happiness.

As Anakin leaned down to pick up his bag, his and Obi-Wan’s lightsabers tumbled out. Picking up Obi-Wan’s, a shock ran through him and sudden clarity dawned, like a fog immediately lifted. He dropped the hilt.

“I’m telling him,” Anakin said, and before Zolti could say anything else, he moved from the home, walking swiftly over to Obi-Wan’s, banging on the wall beside the doorway, a sturdy hide used as a door.

Obi-Wan emerged, shirtless with a fur flung over his shoulders for the cold, hair mussed, face flushed.

“Anakin?” he asked, obviously a little irritated at being interrupted. “What is…”

Then Anakin began talking, like he’d just done with Zolti, a steady stream of words, only now telling Obi-Wan about Zolti being from the past, about the time difference and the fact years may have passed back home, about the discovery of Palpatine being the Sith Lord they’d been searching for, about having a way off this primitive world.

As he spoke, Obi-Wan’s face fell in dismay, but then slipped into utter shock.

“Palpatine…the Sith…are you…”

“Yes! I’m sure! And we need to go, get back, defeat him and…”

But Obi-Wan did not jump into action. He stared at Anakin in complete bewilderment.

“I don’t understand…this…Palpatine…but a century, more, may have passed and…”

“And you! Obi-Wan, don’t you see? Remember when we got here? You pointed to this spot, this part of the world, told me to land here. You sensed the Sith ship. You knew! And now we need to return and…”

At Anakin’s last words, Obi-Wan’s face fell until he looked like he was about to cry.

“But…I thought…” he began slowly.

“What?”

“I thought the Force guided me…”

“Yes! To the Sith! To these revelations!” Anakin said. “Let’s go!”

“I thought the Force guided me to Neah.”

Anakin paused, then laughed good-naturedly at Obi-Wan’s silly comment. “Of course not! That’s ridiculous. The Sith ship, that’s…”

But Anakin stopped, seeing Obi-Wan’s composure completely crumble. The man looked at the ground, crestfallen. Obi-Wan seemed defeated in a way Anakin had never seen before, and suddenly he wished for those moments that afternoon when Obi-Wan spoke to him about this new feeling of contentment, spoke to Anakin like a friend, a brother, and not the lifelong teacher.

“Master…I’m sorry…I…”

Obi-Wan raised his hand. “Please…I need a moment.”

“But a moment could be days…we need to go…I should have told you…”

“I need some time,” Obi-Wan said sternly, and he disappeared into his little house, leaving Anakin to shiver in the cold night, listening to the crackling of the dying community fire and the roar of the sea.

Author’s Note: In the next chapter, the final in this story, Obi-Wan makes his decision.

Thank you for reading! Take care.

Ewok Poet and AzureAngel2 like this.
  12. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Phew, I have quite a reading marathon behind me. Good that I am sick and have nothing else to do, apart from getting better.

And this fan fic here really helps when suffering from a heavy migraine. You distracted me from my pain by showing me what lies within the hearts of two different Jedi knights.

To see straight into the core of Obi-Wan made me see the peaceful nature he has, a strong yearn to belong somewhere. Neah thrives from that. And he becomes whole through her being at his side.

In Anakin´s case there is still too much greed and ambition. He never can enjoy the things given to him, he always wants more. Zolti, his travel companion, realizes that, too.

Kahara and DarthMarly like this.
  13. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    I can't believe this story is almost over. I'm gonna miss it.

Kahara and DarthMarly like this.
  14. DarthMarly

May 10, 2010
    Happy to provide a distraction. Hope you are feeling better. And I appreciate your comments on my characterization of Obi-Wan and Anakin. I've really enjoyed writing them both and look forward to sharing the end of the story (and of course beginning a new adventure). Take care!

Kahara likes this.
  15. DarthMarly

May 10, 2010

Awww...thank you so much! I'm going to miss working on this story, but I'm looking forward to the next one. Already outlining a new adventure. Writing fan fic keeps me sane throughout my dissertation work. Thanks for your support.

AzureAngel2 and Kahara like this.
  16. DarthMarly

May 10, 2010
    Chapter Seventeen

Departure

Anakin’s words, his story of the time change, of Palpatine being the Sith Lord, flowed through Obi-Wan’s mind like poison. He’d been so happy, with Neah, on this world. And this all wouldn’t be so bad, but Anakin actually had a working ship, a way to possibly return home and do something about this shocking knowledge. Obi-Wan, as a Jedi Master, now held the obligation to leave, to return to his galaxy far away.

“I don’t want to be a Jedi anymore,” he muttered, closing the hide door on Anakin and turning toward Neah, who waited for him in their bed.

His heart rate quickened as he saw her, her clothing cast aside, sitting up, her lower half covered by the furs, her long black hair falling around her naked body. Her eyes regarded him warmly, a soft, seductive smile on her lips.

“You’ve been out there a long time talking with your brother,” she said, pulling back the blanket. “Come, let me warm you.”

But as he came closer, Neah saw the devastation in his eyes, and her whole being shifted to concern.

“What is it?” she asked.

Grabbing her to him and holding her tight, Obi-Wan told her the story, in the best way he could for her understanding. An evil man threatened their land. He and his brother needed to return home immediately.

As he retold the story, Anakin’s comment about Obi-Wan sensing the Sith ship came back to him again, hearting his heart. He thought he’d chosen to land here because of Neah, he felt sure of it. But that didn’t make as much sense as Anakin’s theory. Had he read the Force wrong?

After his explanation, he pulled back from Neah, his face streaked with tears, hers shocked.

“I can come with you!” Neah said desperately.

For a moment, Obi-Wan felt his heart flutter. Yes! Take Neah to his home galaxy. He’ll hide her somewhere while he takes care of Palpatine with Anakin. Then they could love each other in secret, like Anakin and Padme.

Shockingly, the thought disgusted him. He could not hide her away; there was something dishonorable in this practice, as if he were ashamed of her, of his feelings, of their life together. Obi-Wan could not do such a thing; he was too noble for such lies, such deceptions. He would not carry on in a way that indicated any shame in his relationship with Neah, as he felt none.

No, he would leave the Jedi and go somewhere to live out his days with Neah. But where? Obi-Wan suddenly realized that his longing to stay was also just as much a part of this place as it was about his new mate. He loved this woman and this world.

Plus, his home galaxy would be shocking to her in its advancements, its savagery, its leanings towards violence, towards war. Would her views of him change when she saw the universe from which he came? He felt a bit contrite himself when he thought about these people, their simple wondrous life compared to the one he left behind, drenched in technological luxuries that led to new ways of killing one another.

But Palpatine? The Sith? He had a duty to fulfill.

Let Anakin do it, came a sharp, bitter little voice in his head. After all, he is the Chosen One.

No. He was a Jedi Master. He needed to go back. Without Neah.

“I cannot take you,” he said, his voice breaking. “I should not. It would be wrong.”

Neah scooted away from him slowly, Obi-Wan’s heart breaking from the shattered look on her face.

“You do not want me anymore,” she whispered, a sob in her voice.

“No…no!” he objected. “I need you. I do not want to go…”

“Then take me!” she cried.

“I…I can’t.”

Silence fell between them. Neah looking at him in dejection, tears rolling down her face.

“Somehow, I knew this would not last,” said Neah. “Everything I care about disappears. My home village, my parents, my brother. I don’t know why I believed this. Why I thought I could finally belong somewhere, with someone.” She squared her shoulders, her usual body language he knew so well, as if she’d made a decision. “My work is to walk the forest trails alone, connect the tribes, never to stop, never to have a mate, never to have a home of my own,” Neah said with a resolute sigh. “Obi-Wan, you should go now. Please. Just leave quickly so my heart…so my heart does not ache so much.” She moved under the covers, turning her back to him.

Obi-Wan, tears falling freely down his face, packed slowly and moved from the tent into the night, Anakin and Zolti waiting. Anakin opened his mouth to speak, but Obi-Wan raised his hand for silence. He felt the urge to punch his former apprentice in the face. Wisely, Anakin said nothing, and the trio began to walk back toward the shoreline.

The further he got from the village, from Neah, the worse he felt. This was wrong. All wrong. The Force seemed to push against him to go back. He felt the increasing need to throw down his pack and his lightsaber which Anakin returned to him, run at full speed back to the little guest home, crawl under the furs with Neah, and hold her, never to let go of her again. He half listened to Zolti and Anakin’s stories, finding himself caring little, only wanting to turn around. Peace…all he wanted was a peaceful existence and now he was heading back into the thick of things. He felt bitterness toward the Force, which he always trusted. Why show him such contentment, allow him to experience this for weeks, only to snatch it away?

Then go back, he told himself. To the flaming volcanoes of Mustafar with Palpatine. Anakin, the other Jedi…they could take care of everything. Did Obi-Wan always need to be the Jedi on call?

Deeply conflicted, Obi-Wan continued to follow the men as they reached the beach and began to walk south toward the distant cliffs housing the Sith ship.

Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Zolti had been walking for hours by the time the sun began to rise above the distant hills. They walked long the vast beach, the morning dense with fog. Yet, aside from his dislike of sand, the chilly air, and the fog which made visibility difficult, Anakin felt quite happy. He had Obi-Wan. He had a ship. They were going home.

Zolti checked a data pad. “We’re nearing the cliffs. About a mile. Then we need to begin climbing. Should be heading to the upper atmosphere by mid-day.”

They continued onward, and Anakin noticed Obi-Wan’s pace slacken. He hadn’t spoken much throughout their night hike, listening to Zolti’s stories of the past, Anakin’s plans for the future. Anakin could sense his pain, yet did not know what to say.

Suddenly, Obi-Wan stopped completely, lowering his pack to the ground.

Anakin sighed heavily. “C’mon master, we need to go.”

“I’m not going,” Obi-Wan said firmly, looking seriously at Anakin. “This feels wrong.”

“What? No, you have to…”

“I don’t want to be a Jedi anymore. I refuse, I…”

Anakin could feel his anger rising. “You’ve been a Jedi your whole life, Obi-Wan. You can’t just walk away because of some woman.”

“That’s the point, Anakin. I’ve never known anything else. And I like this better. I feel better here. On this world. With Neah. I feel…peaceful. All my life, all I’ve ever wanted is peace, and here I do not need to fight, to continue…”

“Your duty is to the Republic, Obi-Wan. To democracy,” Anakin interrupted.

To his surprise, Obi-Wan began to laugh. “Ah, yes the Republic. And the entire time I’ve been a Jedi, we’ve been at war…fighting. I’m exhausted. I’ve given democracy everything…all I am. And now…now I just want to live in a hunter-gatherer community, fish, listen to my mate sing, and start a family.” Obi-Wan laughed some more. “Yes…that’s what I want to do Anakin, as foolish as it may sound to you. You say the Sith ship called me here, but my heart tells me otherwise. The Force speaks to me here, not of the Dark Side, of the Sith, but of a new beginning for me.”

Anakin felt panicked. Maybe he could knock out Obi-Wan and drag him back to the ship.

Then Obi-Wan looked serious, putting his hand on Anakin’s shoulder, leaning in to give him his usual gaze of reassurance. “Anakin, I have trained you. You are a fine Jedi. And the other Jedi…they will help you with Palpatine. If he is even still alive. And you can tell them about me…I do not mind. I…”

“Obi-Wan!” yelled a voice from the distance. The men looked back the direction they came to see a woman emerging from the fog, still several yards away. Neah. When she spotted them, she froze, her face a portrait of tragic sadness.

She’d been following them, Anakin thought bitterly. Great, now Obi-Wan would really be tempted. Perhaps he could knock her out too and throw the pair of them in the cargo hold of the Tenebris.

“Let’s go!” Anakin said, turning, not knowing what to do. But after a couple of meters he stopped and looked back, Obi-Wan frozen, his back to Anakin, looking at Neah in the early morning light.

Then, Obi-Wan began to walk but not toward Anakin. The younger Jedi watched as Obi-Wan moved quickly toward Neah, who ran toward him. The couple embraced passionately, then Obi-Wan turned to Anakin, waving.

“Farewell, Anakin. You are my brother, and I love you. I will always love you,” he shouted, and with that, he turned his back on Anakin and Zolti, his arm around Neah, and disappeared into the fog.

Anakin moved after him, but Zolti grabbed him by the shoulder.

“You have other Jedi,” he said. “I think…well, I don’t know much about the Force, only what you have told me, what Lord Kaan spoke of, but if he feels he belongs here, perhaps he does.”

Anakin nodded. Then he saw something lying on the ground where Obi-Wan had stood. Walking over, he bent down and picked up Obi-Wan’s lightsaber in the wet sand. Sighing, he clipped it on his own belt and followed Zolti toward Tenebris, tears stinging his eyes.

Five days later, the Tenebris, with Zolti and Anakin in the cockpit, drifted in orbit around the gas giant, waiting for the anomaly to show itself. They’d been hovering for so long, nothing on the sensors, that Anakin began to feel they might be stuck and he should return to the blue planet. Obi-Wan’s planet.

“Want to play sabaac again?” he asked Zolti. Restless. He needed something to pass the time.

Zolti chuckled. “I’ve already taken all of your fake credits.”

Anakin rolled his eyes, reached into the pocket of his robe as if searching for something, then showed an upturned, empty palm to Zolti. “Look, found some more.”

Zolti laughed. “You’re worse than that Sith comedian on the holocron.” He started to rise from his seat. “Sure. Let’s go to the library and…”

The ship rocked, and both men tumbled back into their seats. Anakin quickly buckled in, remembering the last time he’d went through the anomaly.

“Looks like the wormhole found us!” shouted Zolti, as the feeling of implosion enveloped them, the entire spectrum of colors swirling into view.

Anakin awoke to Zolti shouting his name. Jerking up in his seat, he stared out the front window, the gas giant gone, empty space in front of him. Alarms sounded and the dash flared to life once again.

“Look!” cried Zolti, pointing to one of the screens. “The navigation specs! They are reading Coruscant…Corellia…yes! We’re back!”

Anakin’s excitement soon gave way to dread.

“Yes…we’re back,” he said sullenly. “But when are we?”

Author’s Note: Next time, in an epilogue, we see the fate of our two Jedi.

Thanks for reading!

AzureAngel2 and Ewok Poet like this.
  17. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    Aw man! Part of me wants you to take your time finishing this, so it doesn't have to end yet, and part of me wants you to hurry up because I need to know what happens!

AzureAngel2 and DarthMarly like this.
  18. DarthMarly

May 10, 2010
    Epilogue

Another Galaxy

The sun shone brightly down on Obi-Wan Kenobi, who smiled broadly, letting out a happy sigh. He looked with deep satisfaction at his finished house, built of wood, gathered and put together with his own two hands, without the aid of the Force. His home, built with the help of his mate Neah and his new community by the river on a planet 20 million light years from where he was born.

Weeks passed since he last saw Anakin, when he turned his back on the Jedi on that foggy beach. He hoped his friend made it home, found peace with Padme, with the other Jedi. He felt certain the Jedi would take care of Palpatine once they knew.

But the Jedi, Anakin, the Clone Wars…everything started to become a distant memory as he established his life on this new world. Upon leaving the coastal community following Neah’s performance, the couple returned to the river valley to settle down, Obi-Wan becoming a fisherman, Neah a teacher and songstress. Days and nights passed pleasantly, and the rumor of another mammoth herd passing through sprinkled conversation, everyone looking with great anticipation to Obi-Wan to see what he’d do next. He’d made new friends, relaxed with his mate, and enjoyed long walks in the wilderness, seeing the changing of the seasons, the coming of what others called summer.

As he looked at his home, the Jedi briefly passed through his mind again. Would he be considered one of the fallen ones, those who willingly left the Order? What did Anakin tell them about Obi-Wan not returning? He could imagine the younger man making up some story to protect the legacy of Obi-Wan, but that made no difference now. No more war; just the hum of peace, of everyday life.

“The house is beautiful,” came Neah’s voice from behind as she wrapped her arms around his waist. “Thank you, my bear.”

Obi-Wan turned around to hug her and was greeted with a wide grin.

“What?”

“Come with me,” she said, pulling his arm. “The creek two hills inland? Someone spotted a bear and her cubs. Come see.”

Obi-Wan grabbed his fur coat and moved beside her, taking her hand. He had yet to see the animal after which Neah took her term of endearment for him.

As they walked, he felt a sudden ripple in the Force coming from her, something that made him stop short.

“What is it?” she asked as he stared at her in wonder.

Placing his hand on her abdomen, he felt the shimmer again.

“A child!” he gasped.

“What?!” she said, placing her hands over his. She looked up at him. “Well, I haven’t been feeling the same for a few days…I…oh, Obi-Wan!”

Picking her up and swinging her around in the middle of the forest path, Obi-Wan let the joy of his new found life fill him completely.

Floating in empty space in-between systems along the Outer Rim, Anakin sat at the dining table aboard the Tenebris, his head in his hands.

“I should have just stayed with Obi-Wan,” he groaned.

“You had no way of knowing,” said Zolti, his deep voice smooth, reassuring. Yes, at least he had Zolti.

Returning home brought nothing but pain to Anakin. A little over 104 standard years passed since his departure, but that length of time changed everything. They’d gone straight to Coruscant to find the Jedi Temple completely gone, a memorial park of sorts. Anakin walked through the gardens in confusion before visiting a museum on the premises where he learned the history of the fall of the Jedi. Corrupt, they’d made an attempt on the life of the revered Emperor Palpatine. The Clone army retaliated against their Jedi leaders, annihilating them all. Soon after, Palpatine dissolved the Senate, establishing the Galactic Empire. He ordered the complete destruction of the Temple, the hunting down of any Jedi, the assassination of those loyal to them, including many prominent leaders. These events occurred a mere five years after Anakin and Obi-Wan’s disappearance, any record of which Anakin could not find. The Jedi records simply vanished, as if the galaxy were ashamed of their existence.

A statue of Palpatine stood, six meters high, in the middle of this park, and Anakin had sat staring at it for over an hour in disgust.

And the strangest thing of all, Emperor Palpatine still lived, ruling from the palace. From the holonews he watched with Zolti at a local restaurant, Anakin saw the Sith seemed to be a an active noun now, the word used often, not attached to ancient lore but to reality. Accolades of the Dark Side served as ambassadors and law enforcement, annihilating any attempts at rebellion. Large, planet-destroying superweapons kept worlds in check, under the yoke of the Empire. Palpatine, not looking much older than when Anakin left, made weekly galaxy-wide addresses via the holonet.

“How is he still alive?” Anakin asked Zolti as they ate that day on Coruscant.

“Sith sorcery,” Zolti shrugged. “One of the things most Sith desire above all is immortality. Perhaps Palpatine achieved it. Kaan would be pleased as well as jealous. I’m surprised one of these little Sith cronies hasn’t risen up against him.”

Those words itched at Anakin’s brain, but he needed to find out the fate of Padme now. Rushing to Naboo, he discovered she’d died after a long life, and he soon found himself standing in front of her grave at a lovely lakeside cemetery. After the dissolution of the Senate, she’d retreated to her family on Naboo, remarrying, raising three children, living out her days on a planet relatively safe from the violent Empire due to its status as Palpatine’s homeworld. No mention of Anakin in her biography. But why would there be, their marriage a secret?

Now Tenebris hovered in space, Anakin not knowing what to do next. He pressed his palms into his forehead, trying to keep from sobbing in complete defeat.

“All hope it not lost, Jedi,” Zolti said, and Anakin raised his head to regard the man. He sat, smiling warmly at Anakin.

“I don’t even know where to begin,” Anakin said softly.

“Well, you have the element of surprise. Palpatine probably thinks you long dead.”

Hmmm…yes…

“And you know a Sith’s greatest enemy?”

“Who?” asked Anakin.

“Another Sith,” grinned Zolti, and he reached into his pocket and pulled out the key to the cupboard in the library, the one with the numerous Sith and Jedi holocrons. “I know the locations of Kaan’s secret bunkers. Three of the five are probably ransacked, but the other two should remain intact. And they are filled with knowledge. And you are strong in the Force. You are the Chosen One.”

The key sat on the table, and Anakin stared at it, the pounding of his heart filling his ears. Yes, he was the Chosen One, but he needed more training to take on such a foe. He looked back up at Zolti, who waited patiently, a golden gleam in his usually dark eyes.

In one swift movement, Anakin grabbed the key and stood. Walking down the hall, he entered the cabin with the cupboard, unlocking the door. The holocrons hummed and shook, calling to him in their strange voices. He reached for the first cube, determination filling his heart.
    The End

Author’s Note: Thank you so much for reading my story! Please let me know your thoughts.

I hope you will continue to join me on my next adventure. Look for my new story, Raised in Darkness, soon. Take care, and may the Force be with you!

19. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    The end my butt! That's a kriffing cliffhanger! [face_laugh]

AzureAngel2, Ewok Poet and DarthMarly like this.
  20. DarthMarly

May 10, 2010
    Yes, I suppose so. But I think (hope?) the ambiguity works. Maybe a sequel? [face_dunno]

Thank you for reading!

21. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Gonna catch up in the coming weeks now that it's all done. And until then, I'll give you a penny each time you DON'T say "Take care". :p (JK, obviously...)

I can see that it wrapped with a cliffie, so LE ARGH. :p

AzureAngel2 and DarthMarly like this.
  22. DarthMarly

May 10, 2010

[face_laugh] Lol! Yes, Take care is my go-to farewell. And I don't just write it, but I say it as well. If I had a penny for every time I used it, I'd be well on my way to paying off my doctorate.

Thanks for reading my story! TAKE CARE!!! :D

23. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Haven't made it all the way to the end, but I'm somewhere in the last couple of chapters. Just wanted to let you know that I'm really enjoying this story and the interesting twists and turns so far. (I am so suspicious of Zolti, and I feel paranoid about it, but then he says something creepy and I am suspicious again... Not quite sure this guy's a pilot, or at least that he's only a pilot.)

AzureAngel2, DarthMarly and Ewok Poet like this.
  24. DarthMarly

May 10, 2010

Thank you for reading! Zolti was fun to develop. I fleshed out an entire life for him but only gave a little in this story, as it is from Anakin and Obi's perspectives. I enjoy playing around with limited POV. Hope you enjoy the ending.

AzureAngel2, Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  25. EGKenobi

EGKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Is there a sequel for this? I really enjoyed reading it, and I can't wait to see what happens next.

DarthMarly and AzureAngel2 like this.