main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Ant-Man (and the Wasp) (Quantumania): Kicking Your Ass, One Inch at a Time

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 18, 2014.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I thought we had a thread for this already but it was probably on the temp boards I guess.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Filming has officially begun (although I guess they already shot some advanced footage going by the fact that they screened material at Comic-Con- not counting the test footage from previous comic-cons).

We also have some additional cast announced:

One bit of news is that "Mad Men" star John Slattery is returning, likely reprising the role of Tony Stark's father Howard Stark which he played in "Iron Man 2". Also of note are the inclusion of "Archer" scene stealer Judy Greer, "Boardwalk Empire" actor Bobby Cannavale, rapper turned actor T.I., and young actress Abby Ryder Fortson who will likely play the young Cassie Lang (daughter of Paul Rudd's Scott Lang character).

Joining them in unspecified roles are the likes of David Dastmalchian ("The Dark Knight," "Prisoners"), Wood Harris ("Remember the Titans," "The Wire") and Gregg Turkington ("The Comedy," "On Cinema").

They join the already announced Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas, Evangeline Lilly, Corey Stoll and Michael Pena. Here's the official synopsis:

Armed with the astonishing ability to shrink in scale but increase in strength, con-man Scott Lang (Paul Rudd) must embrace his inner-hero and help his mentor, Dr. Hank Pym (Michael Douglas), protect the secret behind his spectacular Ant-Man suit from a new generation of towering threats. Against seemingly insurmountable obstacles, Pym and Lang must plan and pull off a heist that will save the world.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  2. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
  3. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    From the pre-show cards of last week's Rifftrax Live show:

MOVIE MISTAKES: Caring who'll direct "Ant-Man".

4. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I could probably just cut and paste my thoughts about GotG one year out here. This is now Mighty Marvel's biggest risk to date. I always saw potential in GotG as a sort of misfit Avengers if done right--and it was. Exceeding my highest expectations for it and seeming like a sure thing no-brainer ex post facto. But they're starting to really go deep into their bench with Ant-Man. How long before Kevin Feige looks down and says "Okay, 3-D Man, you're in."?

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, that might mean we'd get a Skrull Kill Krew movie, so I'd be all for that :).

Also, this was posted over in the MCU thread:

[​IMG]

6. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Basically this is Marvel staff getting wasted at a happy hour and one of them throws out a challenge.

"No, really, we can make a hit movie out of any C level character. Go ahead, name one."

7. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    C level!?! Ant Man is one of the original Avengers!

8. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999

This doesn't look c level to me!

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I do hope the film version of Hawkeye becomes Goliath so maybe people will care.

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Have they found a director yet?

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Peyton Reed, whose credits include Yes Man, the BTTF ride & animated series, The Weird Al Show & Upright Citizens Brigade and some various documentary work and rom coms.

12. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Not exactly the most impressive resume. Of course, that's what I said when they hired the guys who directed You, Me and Dupree to helm Captain America 2 and that turned out okay. And by okay I mean awesome.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Agreed- though I suppose it's worth noting he's dealt with off-humor comedy and sci-fi adventure before, so fitting him into something at least partially based on Wright's ideas and Marvel sci-fi seems more appropriate than sitcom directors jumping to a political action thriller.

14. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    The Marvel/Disney philosophy seems to be "Not the best director, but the right fit.".

15. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    The Marvel philosophy seems to be "we can make money on anything"

16. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    They have yet to be proven wrong.

17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Well since GOTG is the biggest film of the summer domestically, Marvel Studios can do anything.

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

This. They took C-level characters and gave us Star Wars with superheroes. At this point they can reach as deeply into their bench as they want and we'll watch, because in the space of six years they've given us something like a dozen comic films and they've all been Grade A hits. That's pretty damn impressive.

19. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Devil's advocate, ant man is one of my favorite characters, but unless they postpone the release date I have a feeling quality is going to be sacrificed. There's just not even close to the same amount of time for production/post on this one. I am slightly expecting an average to semi flop on this one, if only because of the time limit.

Souderwan, dp4m and Adam of Nuchtern like this.
  20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    It could go with the "less is more" approach that the first Iron Man succeeded at and then failed spectacularly with 2.

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I think that's definitely a concern. Again, though, I am totally willing to give the benefit of the doubt in this case as -- shrinking effects aside -- the post-work for effects and such may actually not be as heavy as in other films, per se.

But what you highlighted is definitely something for us to worry about.

soitscometothis likes this.
  22. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I like Ant-Man, but LOOOOOOVE the Wasp even more so. if this film generates Evangeline Lilly as the Wasp and a Avenger I will go ballistic with excitement. Really excited about Paul Rudd and Michael Douglas, Marvel is on a roll. Please give me Wasp for Avengers 3 Marvel, please. Pretty please.

23. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    [​IMG]
    She's got the haircut at least.

TrandoJedi likes this.
  24. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Oh please oh please oh please! It's gotta be happening right?

25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Ant Man is one of those important Marvel characters I never gave a **** about. But I shall go see it unless there is a universal round of reviews that says it sucks beyond all reason.