main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anthem of Evil and the Prequels Music

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Darth_Accipiter, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I have come to believe that this motif from the last sequel film is rooted deeply in the prequel trilogy. An example of John Williams excellently linking all of the films under one score. It's pretty much a hidden bad guy theme in the sense that its one that nobody really knows compared to the Imperial March or Duel of the Fates, but it's there.

Here is the piece in question, which manifests several times in Rise of Skywalker

Take a listen to this fanfare from Phantom Menace. Very bombastic, but still very much along the same musical lines.

now listen carefully to the low brass in this piece, also from Phantom Menace. Well okay, that could be straight from Rise of Skywalker. That's almost a direct quote.

Now in episode 2, take a listen to this sequence from the end where Sidious appears. Pretty familiar, right? Just, not quite. Too similar to dismiss though. Especially that low brass and haunting female choir.

But it goes further. Pretty much this whole piece from Episode 3 where Palpatine reveals himself is like a subdued anthem of evil. And you also get what could be presumed to be the inspiration of Kylo Ren's theme, which is also cool.

and then there's this final fanfare from episode 3

that reprises in the same track here

This is all in retrospect, and speculative, but I posit John Williams went back to these pieces when he was writing his music for Episode 9 to bring a familiar evil tone for the bad guys

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  2. Awushi Awere

Awushi Awere Jedi Knight star 2

May 11, 2020
    Nice work! Thank you for this post!

Did you see the documentary about Williams' work on Episode IX? He said that he used pieces out of every previous movie in TROS. My favourite and most unexpected quote: "Return to Tatooine" which was played when Poe was on Babu's roof with Zorii. Well, TROS has some nice, underrated tracks in my opinion...

3. Jediking97

Jediking97 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 24, 2018
    The second half of Padmé's Ruminations (from Revenge of the Sith) can be heard in Approaching the Throne (from Rise of Skywalker)

4. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    could this have been a musical blot Williams had since the very beginning? Blast it, now I want to scour all the other movies for anything that sounds remotely similar...

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    StartCenterEnd likes this.