main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Anthology: News and Rumors (General Discussion Welcome)

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by TtheForceHurts, Sep 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    Since there has been news that the first spin-off movies are rather origin stories than original ones (Zack Snyder 7 samurai/jedi, KOTOR etc.) In whose characters early adventures are you most interested in?
    Multiple answers are possible, any further ideas welcome.

Who knows maybe LFL is indeed monitoring us and we might provide them with some ideas...

MOD EDIT: This is no longer a "What character do you want to see get a spinoff" thread. It is now the catch all thread for any news and rumors we hear about future Anthology films. Once the news becomes official (obviously through Disney or Lucasfilm) or a rumor comes from a legitimate source (trades, MSW, etc.) it can then have its own individual thread. Obviously any news or rumors about Rogue One or the Han Solo film will still go into their respective threads.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Darth Vader. There are so many cool things you can do in a Vader film. Kill Jedi, kill wanna be Sith, kill Mandos, kill Watto, Sebulba, Jar Jar.

And get this: Vader surprising us by killing something worse than the Sith.

Yep. Give me my Vader films.

This might not be an origin story, but this is what I want to see more than any of the other spin offs.

3. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Where's the none option? I want a none option! :_|

I'm tired of origin stories. Especially for characters that don't need origin stories. I don't need to see how Han won the Millennium Falcon. The story of Yoda's jedi training just doesn't interest me. And as the special edition of ROTJ and the prequels proved, people don't want Boba Fett to be expanded upon because they already had their own ideas of what he was like. Most of the characters that exist already have complete stories of their own, we don't need to see more of them outside of supporting roles.

What I want to see from the spin offs is new characters to get to know. New ideas brought to life. New worlds to explore. New factions to meet. And new eras to be established. I firmly believe that Star Wars is a fertile ground for fresh new ideas, and that's what I want to see.

4. klooney

klooney Jedi Master star 1

Jul 2, 2009
    The first glint of this whole spin-off business was Joe Johnston making it known he wanted to make a Boba Fett film a couple years back. Considering Mr. Johnston's work on the OT as well as numerous other blockbusters up to the recent Captain America for Marvel, it would be a crime if Disney didn't make this happen. Maybe even with Daniel Logan back.

But an Obi Wan film with Ewan McGregor is what I'd most like to see.

Films with re-cast or CGI leads, or all-new characters, young Han Solo etc, those can be done at any time in the future, ten, twenty, forty years from now. I look forward to seeing all new characters and stories from different time periods also, but I say make the films with OT/PT actors and crew while it is still possible to do so.

5. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Han Solo for the first one ...........

Dra--- likes this.
  6. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    Damn, I forgot to include Malakilli in the Poll, Title could be: "A boy and his Rancor". If anyone of you had been to CEII? Did you see the Malakilli cosplay? There was this guy (dressed as Malakilli) who had spent years carving out a 4 foot high rancor out of a solid tree trunk. Now that's what I call devotion. Will post a pic of him shortly...

7. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I voted for Han Solo and Obi-Wan Kenobi. Incidently, they are my two all-time favorite Star Wars characters, but my reasons are varied. Han Solo is heroic, adventurous, but immoral, and he loves gunfights. A Han Solo film can show how Chewie and he met, or how he got the Falcon from Lando, and possible run-ins with Boba Fett.

Now, Obi-Wan Kenobi is just too cool a character, and Ewan McGregor is awesome! His time on Tatooine would make a great movie! Maybe you can include Jabba in the mix (especially because they had already met in The Clone Wars) with Boba Fett in his entourage. Perhaps Lando could fly the Millenium Falcon at that time, smuggling dancers for Jabba's Palace, Darth Maul could return too (though I'm sure he won't), with some local Imperial intrigue! Obi-Wan and the villain could fight in the middle of a podrace, with them jumping on the pods and such.

I wouldn't really want to watch a Yoda movie. I think the character works best when he's in a supporting role, I'm not sure I could stand him talking for 2 hours. Also, when would a Yoda movie take place? I'm not sure his adventures on Dagobah were that interesting. Well, maybe there used to be sexy witches on that planet.

Darth Maul: I like the Darth Maul books, I also liked his short reign in The Clone Wars, but I think he's done.

Darth Sidious/Plagueis: I loved Darth Plagueis, but IMO the apprenticeship of Palpatine should remain mysterious in the films.

Boba Fett: honestly, I'm one of the few fans who aren't really interested in Boba Fett. I got my Fett fix in Episode II.

Jabba: oh my, a Jabba movie. Just like with Yoda, I think Jabba works only in a supporting role, so nope.

Lando Calrissian: Lando should be in the Han Solo film.

8. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Oh, I am the first one who voted for Leia? Don't understand. Her backstory would make for a perfect spy drama. Think about it.
    An imperial senator, secretly working for the rebellion, uncovering some evil project. She now needs to bring the data to the rebellion. But oh, dangers await! Imperial agents are chasing the one who stole the data. Black Sun took interest and is after her too! In her time of need, Leia must rely on the help of scoundrels. But are they trustworthy? Dun dun dun.

DarthIshyZ, DARTH-FURBABY and Dra--- like this.
  9. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    It may stick in some peoples craw, but it's going to be a very difficult to sell a new Star Wars movie that revolves almost entirely around new characters. Don't get me wrong... I don't want to see endless rehash after rehash, but Star Wars is so rich in characters, design and environments that (IMHO) it would be a pointless exercise to start with a blank slate. If we want something original, why not create a new mythology outside of the Star Wars universe? If it's within the Star Wars universe then yes... I'd like to see some of those characters further explored.

The best way to introduce new characters and environments is to put them in a story featuring Yoda, Han Solo, Darth Maul et al. Have the 'familiar' set the scene for the 'new'... let them emerge that way - just as the prequels did it.

10. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    Official news confirms they will be Origin stories :

"Today, Disney CFO Jay Rasulo described the projects (via Variety) as "origin story film," suggesting that some of the planned features might provide insight into how fan-favorite characters began their adventures a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
    "Larry Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are both working on films derived from great 'Star Wars' characters that are not part of the overall saga," Disney Chairman and CEO Bob Iger told CNBC earlier this year.
    Rasulo, today, reiterated plans for a tentpole Star Wars release every year beginning in 2015. While previous rumors have suggested that the first such project, tentatively planned for 2016, will follow the adventures of Han Solo and/or Yoda, nothing specific has as of yet been confirmed"

So, I am pretty sure it will be more "friendly" characters and not dark ones such as Bane or Sidious. Disney will want to milk this and get as much money as they can, unfortunately, so will go more family friendly with them....which is sad because having a Bane or Sidious movie would be better than winning the lottery to me. I get tired of these large corporations skipping over things because all they care about is money.

StoneRiver and TX-20 like this.
  11. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I really want something different from the stand-alone films. The PT made the universe so incredibly small by making everyone connected to everyone else.

So a Han film where he meets up with Chewie and gets the Falcon from Lando would be cool. But not where he meets Yoda, tussles with Sidious, babysits little Boba, and meets a young Leia while hanging out with Bail Organa (who turns out to be his godfather).

12. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004

Read the official quote I wrote above. "Characters that are not part of the overall saga". Which frankly means no Han Solo, Leia, Yoda, Fett, Obi Wan, etc.

13. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    That sounds a heck of a lot better than bringing back the same old characters.

StoneRiver likes this.
  14. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004

So we could be talking about inconsequential characters in the background of the saga. I'd love that.

But I know there are others who don't believe that any of those characters could have an interesting story. Which I just don't get.

15. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    No, the quote was about movies. Movies that are not part of the overall saga.

Today's quote even makes clear the movies will be about fan favorites. And the only EU fan favorite who made it into the top 20 of SW characters is Mara Jade. The rest of the list is movie characters.

Darth Rycbar and Dra--- like this.
  16. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    That's a confusing quote, imo, especially when you don't quote it in its entirety. I think they mean the films are not part of the overall saga, not characters.

"Larry Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are both working on films derived from great 'Star Wars' characters that are not part of the overall saga."

Edit: And Pevra beats me to it. As she always beats me at everything. ;)

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  17. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    Han Solo by far.... If, after the ST and the origins spinoffs are done, Disney execs decide to make more SW movies (which I'm sure sooner or later they will) then I'd like an Old Republic movie.

18. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    The beauty of the "origin films" plan, at least in part, is that it will help to keep the ST films themselves free and clear of fanboy-wankery. Those who have wanted to see Han Solo do a bunch of things, for instance, will be far more pleased by an origin film, in which he'd be the main character, than they would ever have been pleased by his appearance in the ST, which promises to be rather brief by necessity; the same would probably be true for any character in the above poll. Those who wanted more of a given familiar character than the ST could provide will be satisfied, and the ST itself won't be burdened with having to service OT fans while juggling other issues at the same time. Fans get to have their cake AND eat it too.

Dra--- likes this.
  19. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Darth Revan (origin through Kotor II, in 3 trilogies please... and a 4th trilogy that concludes it (not hating on TOR (though I do hate it) but its just WAY TOO LONG for a single trilogy and doesn't focus on Revan or Exile as it should have imho)

Oh, you meant movie character :p ...

Well in that case voted for everyone but Yoda (who should remain a mystery) and Lando (introduce him as a supporting character in a Han Solo movie... same logic for Jabba in a Boba Fett or Han Solo origin story). Like to add a vote though for Wedge because I want a Top Gun style Star Wars movie and Tie Fighter is tied as my favorite Star Wars game of all time (with the rest of the series and the Rogue Squadron being high up there too) plus the X-wing books rocked (though I don't expect an adaptation).

The only plus side to origin stories in my mind is if they're successful and after the ST is established and been released that we can finally have actors the right age for post RotJ movies to fill in the details like the EU did prior (be these movies totally new or new but adapting in some EU (because the writers want to)). The books made ~2 billion focusing mostly on this time period, so any movies set here should do real well too.

TKT likes this.
  20. w4tkn

w4tkn Jedi Master star 1

Jan 25, 2013
    Ive said a few times on here, Harrison may not be in the trilogy, and if He's not he would have some role in a stand alone. If its true the first stand alone is Han Solo, tell it in flash back with HF narrating it. Start it off at a card table, him, Lando, few aliens including one Rodian(you know where I'm going with this), closing scene is a disagreement and then screen goes black and we hear a blaster and a kerfuffle then the credits.

21. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004
    "Larry Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are both working on films derived from great 'Star Wars' characters that are not part of the overall saga."

That is terrible use of the English language. That statement as it is says "spin off films based on background characters"

However, if they were to introduce a comma after the word "characters", then it would mean the films are not part of the saga. Or even if it was "....both working on films that are not part of the overall saga derived from great 'Star Wars' characters".

The lack of a comma leaves it ambiguous and open to interpretation. [face_not_talking]

22. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Well, it was an interview statement. The journalist probably screwed up.

23. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004
    indeed, the line before it in the original quote does specify "fan favourite characters"

I've also just noticed they say "some" of the features "might" be origins stories. So we could also have original saga-unrelated stories too. (Or even no "origins" stories).

As usual, the entire statement is quite ambiguous.

But on the plus side, more films, I'm down with that, open the GFFA wide.

Dra--- likes this.
  24. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Nah.

Here's a

[​IMG]

for ya.

Dra--- likes this.
  25. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I'd be interested in a Han Solo, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Qui-Gon and a Darth Maul origin movies

Dra--- likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.