main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT 'Anti-Cheese' and 'Mature' edits now absent from YouTube.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Heroic BB-8, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

That's fine - Honestly I've never watched more than a few minutes of any fan edit, I just don't understand why anyone would care if others watch them.

2. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    Fan edits are for the most part, most of the movie still uploaded on YouTube, it's not like a 10 minute clip from any of the PT, like a lot of them that are up there. I was wondering when Disney would get around to removing fan edits, I'm not surprised at all, considering the fact that these fan edits still post most of the movie.

3. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015

Wow, so you actually support widely expanding (IMO already draconiani) copyright laws to the point where video game mods are illegal.

That's pretty crazy, but you are certainly entitled to your own opinion I suppose

Howard Hand and Poe loves Rey like this.
  4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Yeah. That's not even close to what I said. Plenty of developers support fan-created content.

5. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    they're already gone. curiously, many (or all?) of the full trilogy edits are still up.

CIS Droid likes this.
  6. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015

You do realize that vast majority of mods are perfectly legal regardless of how the developer feels right?

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    You asked me for my opinion, not what was legal. I provided it.

8. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    I've just checked it and they are completely gone from Youtube for copyrights infringement. But that was predictable since it has never been a good idea to post an almost entire movie on Youtube.

9. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

Yep.

Of course, there needs to be give and take, but posting most of a movie to YouTube, in HD quality, and expecting the copyright owner to take no action -- methinks that's a bit naive.

There was one I enjoyed watching the other day, though. "Force Speed" edition of TPM. The excisions weren't pleasant (half the movie was basically cut out), but I liked it because it was an HD upload of a film version of TPM. In other words, it had a bit of softness and grain to it, and all the other flaws of that earlier TPM print.

I don't have a copy of that digitized print in HD. Wish I did. Of course, the only ways of acquiring it, wouldn't be, strictly speaking, legal. But I must admit that I think the film is a bit more pleasing on the eye that way. Not sure I have fully acclimated to the clean "digital"/noise-reduced look that Lucas went for. But anyway...

While they can be passed over, fan cuts, as a whole, are something I can do without. And I didn't like the way they were cluttering up YouTube and appearing all over the place in recent Star Wars searches. Is Disney not entitled to reasonably protect its intellectual property? It's so easy for companies to go overboard; but fans should take some responsibility and think twice before uploading certain things, too.

SlashMan, Huttese 101 and QuangoFett like this.
  10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Exactly. I have no problem with people making fan-edits for their own enjoyment. However, when you post what amounts to most of the movie on YouTube (taking money away from the producer), and claim it to be "better filmmaking" that the actual movie, then you have crossed a line in my book.

Scott109, theonea7, True Sith and 4 others like this.
  11. Huttese 101

Huttese 101 Sam Witwer Enthusiast star 7

Jan 19, 2016
    They could cut out Jar Jar's one line and total ten seconds of screen time. Maybe they could make an extended arthouse scene of Anakin's immolation.

AprilMayJune I know I just walked right into that one haha

12. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    When I saw a video called the mature edit, I thought it was "adult", honestly. I never bothered to look.

13. AprilMayJune

AprilMayJune Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2015
    Yeah, that wording is...misleading. Had I seen something listed as such, I would wonder if that meant it was Star Wars content carefully edited to look "sexy", or Star Wars with actual mature content spliced in. Either way sounds pretty hilarious, actually, now that I see that written out, hahahaha.

14. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    *Searches for something related to Star Wars*

YouTube: "Perfectest Edit Of The Prequels (bleugh amirite) - Recommended for you"

That actually leaves me somewhat thankful that Google doesn't know me well yet. :p

15. Huttese 101

Huttese 101 Sam Witwer Enthusiast star 7

Jan 19, 2016
    Padmé's apartment--unrated
    Yeah, "mature" is ambiguous.

16. Colwyn Ren

Colwyn Ren Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2015
    Nope. Canon in our home is the edit that removes the Ewoks.

Deliveranze likes this.
  17. sizziano

sizziano Jedi Master star 2

Nov 16, 2014
    Seriously? How is that event remotely analogous? What an absurd notion. Making and posting a fan edit on YT is more akin to reworking an entire game (not just modding it) and posting it somewhere for general consumption. "Fan edits" for games would be things like pokemon rom hacks where fans change certain aspects of the game to varying degrees and are always against the law and definitely not condoned by Nintendo. Most developers (of PC titles anyways) actively encourage modding and many games are still being played because of the modding community. Case in point Skyrim, Arma, Cities Skylines and tons of others. Posting copyrighted content has never been OK on YT and never will, though I do agree that we shouldn't really care if some fans want and enjoy these edits. It should come as no surprise of course that Disney is stepping up there game in this area and I am actually surprised it took them this long. Many channels with tracks from the movies are getting taken down left and right as well.

Prisic Duskleap and heels1785 like this.
  18. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015

Fair enough. ;)

19. Colwyn Ren

Colwyn Ren Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2015
    Fan edits are a genie that isn't going back in the bottle. Ironically it was George Lucas himself who opened our minds to the possibilities of re-editing existing works via the SE's.

Poe loves Rey likes this.
  20. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015

Aight, that's...fine. :) IDC

21. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    The only "fanedit" I've ever watched are the "de-specialized" editions. Good work on those.

22. Mnhay27

Mnhay27 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Curiously, though AOTC and ROTS have been both removed, TPM anti-cheese is still on youtube:

23. Collin Tongue

Collin Tongue Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 8, 2016
    I actually enjoyed those edits a lot, I hope they are still up. I personally disliked all the fart jokes/jar jar binks/nemodians/c3p0 gags in ATOC and the romantic frolicking in the fields scene with Anakin and Padme. Whoever edited them definitely took their time removing a lot of painful Anakin lines from PM too. They feel more serious, like the OT(the anti cheese) to me. Either way, Darth Maul rules! I wish we had an emoticon for him on here.

Heroic BB-8 likes this.
  24. Poe loves Rey

Poe loves Rey Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2015
    The full ROTS movie was on youtube for like a month before it was yanked.

I'm sure the pulled edits will resurface. We gotta fight the power!

There's like 50 minutes of tfa on youtube, albeit sideways with no theatrical volume. Can I post it, mods? It's legal since it's youtube.

Colwyn Ren likes this.
  25. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015

Wow - the use of alien speech and subtitles actually makes Jar Jar and the Nemoidians far less annoying/lame