main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Saga "Antigravity" | Song!verse AU | Kessel Run Challenge 2023

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Mira_Jade , Jan 13, 2023.

1. Vek Talis

Vek Talis Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2018
    That was quite the roller coaster, @Mira_Jade - Anakin seeing what his descendants would have had to deal with if he'd continued down his dark path, only to veer off at the last moment for them. =D= Big congrats for the great writing and for completing the Kessel Run!

2. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Wow, this was a real prose poem from start to finish! I could tell exactly who each "speaker" was, and I loved the mixing of continuities, with both the Legends descendants and Ahsoka represented. It's really cool how you got this to balance in a gray area between AU and prime universe (and more than one prime universe, at that)—because up through "(and, at last, awakens)" it could totally be read as a prime-universe piece, and the switch/twist to AU-dom at that point is masterful—though at that point, which is really the AU and which is the prime? :D I love that not just Vader's direct descendants got a chance to "speak" here, but also his son-in-law, Han, who is coming at this whole lineage and legacy from a completely different place (but his love for Leia really shines through); his old teacher and brotherly friend Obi-Wan, still dealing with his feelings of guilt concerning how he dealt both with Anakin and the fall of the Jedi; and his erstwhile pupil and pal Ahsoka, still dealing with her own doubts and guilt but who has not stopped missing her "Skyguy." The tranquil, contented final AU scene, with Anakin and Padmé and the twins and all of the above all together as friends and loved ones, was the perfect counterweight to the angst of the main ten sections. Congratulations not only on this beautiful, crowning addition to the Song!Verse but also on an absolutely amazing Kessel Run from start to finish! #CrushedThatChallenge =D= =D= =D=

3. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Double review from me today, sorry for falling behind!

Insufferable
    [face_laugh]
    You know, one thing I love about your AU is how close it can be to the prime!verse at times, and this story was a perfect example of that. I mean, for instance:
    I am amazed that you were able to recycle that tiny bit from ANH here!

More generally, it's such a nice twist that, in this universe where there is no Rebellion, Leia (and Winter) would still be up to rebellious shenanigans, and what is more, to bring about Tarkin's downfall. AFAIK that's a story you haven't written yet, and I'm looking forward to learning the details when you do.
    [face_rofl]

Lastly, like Finds mentioned above, I thought it was really cool that you one-upped the prompt and made everyone everyone else's antagonist :D

And now, the pièce de résistance...

“Like My Father Grandfather Master Brother Before Me”

Well, this was... spectacular. Like Finds said, a real prose poem!

What made it even more spectacular is the fact that this is Anakin's nightmare because every single member of his family (or family of the heart) are trying to see Darth Vader as Anakin Skywalker: Jacen sees in him a well-intentioned Sith Lord and Jaina a pilot; Anakin Solo and Han see in him a sacrificial hero (and Han doesn't know how prescient that will turn out to be); Leia sees a failed father whereas Luke sees an absent father; Obi-Wan sees his pupil and friend while Ahsoka sees her mentor and partner; Padmé sees her lover... but absolutely none of that matters when Darth Vader himself sees Anakin Skywalker and knows that he has become a different person altogether.

And of course, it fit the reverse narrative format to a tee, with the scene-outside-the-nightmare sitting at the exact point in time where the events could have diverged had this Anakin made a different choice.

One thing that I don't think I ever mentioned in a review of your stories in this 'verse – and it's a little strange that I haven't, because it's such an oft-recurring element – is how much I enjoy the fact that, in this AU, Leia is better attuned than Luke to her father's thoughts, especially when it comes to images of the prime!verse bleeding through, and that she reacts more intensely than her twin. I remember it very vividly from All That's Unsung, and it's a story element you've made great use of here again.

Thank you for this fantastic expansion of the Song!verse! It was a truly enjoyable, often entertaining, sometimes outright distressing ride, but spectacular every step of the way. And congratulations on completing the challenge =D=

4. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Absolutely loved the variety of genres and characters all within your Song-verse here! [face_dancing]

In his own way, good old sneaky Palps is just as melodramatic as all the other Sith. :p His voice is just pitch-perfect and I have to second everyone who said that the inclusion of his more mundane childhood memories is really effective. Everyone starts somewhere. :emperor:

Augh, so much worry! [face_nail_biting]

[face_rofl] SNOWBALL FIGHT! Mace and Obi-Wan wading into it one hundred percent stone-faced at first is just too amazing for words. And exactly what I needed after that dose of Sheev! [face_laugh]

I also really enjoyed Deniel's story and how Anakin was able to connect with him and help him feel a little more grounded in such a new and strange environment. It's really nice to see that in this universe, Anakin is able to use his experiences of being new to the Jedi as an older-than-usual student and help others that are in a similar situation. @};- And the exploration of the Legends road not taken in the final story was one gutpunch after another in the best way. With one decision it could have all been so very different...