main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone collect (mumbles toy and train fayre 21st nov)?

Discussion in 'Archive: FF:UK - Wales' started by mike_in_hoth_gear3, Nov 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike_in_hoth_gear3

mike_in_hoth_gear3 Jedi Youngling

Nov 14, 2004
    Yes thats right people, week today, sunday 21st at the Ostreme center, rumour is there will be a star wars/ sci fi toy stall. probably worth a look/excuse to hook up?

2. Welshguy

Welshguy Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    Do you have any more details of this event? I doubt if they have a website, but if you could put up some detailed time, date, price and location info I would be most grateful.

Have you been to this event before, and if so did they have a SW stall? And was it any good?

3. mike_in_hoth_gear3

Nov 14, 2004
    Jeez you're quick Welshguy.
    Will get accurate info posted asap.
    The venue itself is pretty small though, so don't expect Star-Con or anything.

4. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Cheers dude. So tell us a little about yourself? This is your first time here if i'm not mistaken. Where are you from and what is your destination?

Would anyone else be interested in a possible meet-up for this event? Even if the stalls themselves are nothing special, it might be a good opportunity to finally have that get together we have been planning for so long.

5. Count_Cuckoo

Count_Cuckoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2001
    Mike, is it all Hornby stuff or are there comic related items (DC, Marvel etc..)?

6. MASTER-SITH

MASTER-SITH Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 14, 2003
    I would be up for it just need some more deails

7. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Well Mike, looks like you have your first mission.

Go forth and discover all you can about this gathering. Contact us when you have the Bounty Hunter.. Or details, as the case may be.

8. mike_in_hoth_gear3

Nov 14, 2004
    Sorry this took so long.
    The fayre opens to the public at 10:30 (8:30 for stall holders) the guy running it said they generally pack up 3 ish, which suggests it will be busier than alot of these small scale toy fayres I've been to. That said the venue is pretty small. Thats the deal with these things though, sometimes you'll be surprised and come away with loads of stuff other times it can feel like a big waste of time.
    The Ostreme Centre is real easy to find. If you are coming along Mumbles Road from Swansea (the easiest way)simply turn right up Newton Road (at the roundabout which has The White Rose and a branch of HSBC on either side)then the Ostreme Centre is the first right(opposite the British Legion).
    I didn't want to say anything before because it wasn't confirmed but i will actually be running a Star Wars stall with a friend of mine. We have have been doing these things on and off since 1996, not in anyway professionally, just to get rid of doubles from our collections and feed our collecting habit. We generally buy more stuff than we sell at these things. at the moment in terms of our stock we have euro red carded long sabres, vintage soaps, the odd poster, loose vintage figures, clones era carded, euro green cards, bilingual red cards, plenty of bootleg stuff (galaxy empire anyone?)ewoks story books, novelisations etc just off the top of my head. thats my sale pitch over now.
    You asked about me Welshguy, well im a student at UWS studying for my masters. I live in Mumbles, though im originally from Swindon. I got the collecting bug before the special editions were announced, remember my disappointment when i saw the 1995 hasbro figures had muscles but still asked for them for xmas, read the Zahn trilogy with zeal, bought the comics until Shadows of the Empire kind of put me off. Menace is my favourite prequel and occasionally i think i prefer it to Jedi.
    Count Cuckoo asked about possibility of a comics stall. I really dont know. i havent been to this fayre before. The organizer guy wasnt surprised when we said we were running a Star Wars stall though. I think if you treat this more as an opportunity to meet up then you wont (unless you guys are all really boring :) )be dissappointed. Mumbles is a good place to hook up too, nice pubs and the arcade has R-type 2 for tenpence a go. I cant see them charging more than a quid to get in either.

9. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    I'm a collector :) Wish I could go :(

10. Count_Cuckoo

Count_Cuckoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2001
    I got a fayre up in Birmingham to go to this weekend and Memorabilia the weekend after. :(

At the moment I am up to my eyes in comics. Which isn't a bad thing when trying to get some cash in for Christmas.

11. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Mike in Hoth Gear 3: Sounds interesting. So you are going to be working a stall yourself eh? Might just pop along and say hi. You'll be able to recognise me pretty easily, i'll be the guy dressed in full Jedi robes. :)

Hey, i can get out of paying at 4/5 of bars dressed like that, a simple "I don't need to pay you, I can have the drink for free" often works with some of the more ape like, knuckle dragging barman.

You mentioned that you were studying for your masters, in what exactly?

So who would like to go to this meetup then? So far there is a strong possibility of myself and Mike. Anyone else interested?

By the way, do you know of any decent places to eat around there, maybe a pizza hut of KFC (looks around for Storm_Trooper_fan and her anti chicken eating websites... Think we're safe!). I think it would be really nice to have some kind of get together for us Welsh posters, even if it is just 2, 3 or 4 of us.

Count_Cuckoo: Thats too bad. But if you already got plans, I don't suppose the promise of a small gathering in Mumbles is going to change your mind.

Meriwyn: I don't think you would like to come with us Mer. We are an odd bunch and I doubt you would be able to understand a word we say! But if you ever are back in the mother land, be sure to let us know. How often does your chapter attend meetups, out of interest?

12. MASTER-SITH

MASTER-SITH Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 14, 2003
    i would be up for it name the time you lot are going and i will try and meet up with u lot

13. mike_in_hoth_gear3

Nov 14, 2004
    Welshguy: mumbles has plenty of fastfood outlets to sate your chicken-lust. sadly no actual KFC, but there is a 'southern fried chicken'. it being a sunday alot of the pubs will be selling roasts too. im studying for a masters in english to answer your other question.
    ps got my ROTS tshirt and mug in the mail yesterday. lush.

14. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    I plan on being back in the motherland in the next couple of years hopefully :) I miss it so much.

When I was with the NYC chapter (and will be again) :) we had meetings once a month, but also had social activities a few times a month as well.

15. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Master Sith: Well the date is drawing closer, so i'll try and arrange a place and time mto meetup. Have to liaise with Mike in Hoth Gear a bit first, seeing as I have never been to the Mumbles.

Mike-Hoth: English eh? Bit strange to come to Wales to study the English language isn't it? ;)

Only joking. If I had had the opportunity to go to uni, then thats one of the subjects that I would have considered studying. Hope everything is going well dude. So whats the deal with your stall then? Any bargins that I need to know about that you could stash away for me? I have always wanted a proper replica lightsaber, but alas funds have always been short.

Know you of such an item?

Meriwyn: Thats strange in a way. I worked in the NE of the US a few years back and I miss your part of the world. Maybe we could engage in a Fan Force CR exchange programme!

Now that would be cool! The next time you head back this way, just let me know and i'll let you have exclusive and free use of my parents caravan in West Wales. From this base of opporations, you can branch out and visit some of the most spectuacular and amazing sights and locations in Wales. The seal and dolphin watching on Cwmtudu beach are not to be missed!

If you throw enough rocks at them, they get really angry and sometimes fight each other!! Its great when it spills out onto the beach! Blood and blubber everywhere.

Bet bit is, you get to pick up the leftovers and take it home for dinner :)

Hmmmmm, battered seal... Arghhhhhhhhhh.

16. mike_in_hoth_gear3

Nov 14, 2004
    Welshguy: i dont know of such an item, guess ebay is your best bet.ive seen a place in swansea town centre selling those force fx ones, but they cost £200. never really been into replicas and dressing up, though i am considering investing in some vintage Don Post masks. my mate once home-made a Dengar costume from chicken wire, paper mache and bandages and wore it to a convention. he just got really hot and tired and looked a fool. i wasnt tempted after that :)
    we are pretty small scale, the most expensive stuff we sell is vintage carded figures. we have some cool carded empire strikes back 'paint yourself' figurines at the moment, bit like those episode one ones you still see knocking around pound stores. except cool. and not a quid.
    as far as meeting up is concerned ill be at the stall til we pack up, probably around threeish. Id be happy to go for a pint or two after that though.

17. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Ok, sounds doable. A good time to meet up might be around say 12ish. Myself and the other posters can have a wonder around and then, come 3.00 o'clock we can go and hit the town.

Not sure if Mumbles has a strip joint, but i'm sure its worth a visit just to find out!

Failing that, theres always Southern Fried Chicken.

18. Yoshee

Yoshee Former RSA & CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2002
    Mmmmmmmmmmmm chicken!

19. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Really sorry I couldn't go guys. I was looking forward to this too.

But with my stomach resembling something you find in a KFC kitchen {/Storm_Trooper_Fan} ;) I decided it would be a good idea if I stayed home and tried not to throw up some more.

So how did the shin dig go? Did anyone attend apart from Mike_in_Hoth_Gear3?

Yoshee: Seeing as your a quater Welsh, you should be able to understand this?

"Westlife are total cachu"

Do you concur?

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.