main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone else ahving this problem with Geocities?

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by Lyart_Triath, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyart_Triath

Lyart_Triath Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2002
    Yeah I know Geocities is a lousy free-server these days (can anyone even remember when they were good?), but I figured since I didn't update all that often that I could live with using file-manager and not having FTP access for the redesign version of my fansite; I've had a old Geocities account sitting around for ages and figured about time to use the old thing for something. Well I noticed that when I upload files with the file-manager words that weren't typoed before end up typoed. When I work on pages I spell-check at least four times before I post to my sites (the exception being when I have to post from back-up files that haven't been editied yet, which has happened at least 3 times with my SW site, another reason for moving it). So I went to post some updated pages, and I found extra letters added radomly to some words-- with no obvious pattern to it-- and at least 2 or 3 links changed to refer to the main geocities sign up page, not to the pages they were linked to. This is a new glitch, I take, but I was wondering if anyone else was having this prob?

2. Heather_Skywalker

Heather_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 13, 2002
    If you're getting an index surver you might have lost your index.html. All you'd have to do is rename one file(hm) with it. If you already knew this forgive [face_blush] However I used the pagebuilder, not html editor. As far as I know nothings been wrong with the geocities sites, but then again, that's me :)

3. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    jjsa used to be at geocities but it didn't really work out for me. the success of a good website means finding the right host that works for you and your website.

my suggestion: brinkster.com no uploading errors. everything is easy and, there's an .html codebank.

4. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    just get away from them as soon as possible. i was with geocities before yahoo joined em. they were not bad back then.

5. Darth_Imran

Darth_Imran Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    Yeah I know Geocities is a lousy free-server these days

I think you just answered your own question. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.