main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone else feel the AOTC forum is going down?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by T_H_X_SKYWALKER, Nov 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Whoever makes the discussion go off-topic is the one who would get punished.

A few times, I've deleted all of the off-topic posts in a thread, and it helped get the discussion back on topic.

Sometimes, a discussion can go off-topic in a good way. But this rarely happens.

2. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    a good point yodajeff, something i've noticed in your new reign as mod, and I think it is definitly a step in the right direction. I also like when a thread goes off topic, as long as it remains interesting, the covnersation should be allowed to evolve in a natural way, speculative threads based on upcoming movies are different because there are unknown variables to constantly update, but reaction threads can only go so long before petering out, better that they branch off into new topics.

Good post TokyoXtreme

3. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    I notice that many people don't like the terms 'gusher' and 'basher'. And I understand why (I've been called worse than a basher though ;)). However, I do not think there's a point to trying to remove these words from the collective vocabulary, as they will be replaced with other words defining those who strongly like or dislike 'Attack of the Clones'.

4. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    agreed.

it makes it so that you must be in one catagory or another, instead of letting everybody be individuals. My main gripe with SW is AOTC, but on the other hand Binary sunset only likes ANH and ESB, yet we are both considered bashers, yet we are in totla disagreement (civil disagreement, but disagreement none the less) about ROTJ and to a lesser extent TPM.

Or people will flame me or dismiss a good point I made because of something another basher said.

Its better that everybody just be individuals. Thats why we get cool names and icons :)

5. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Because I've only been here a few months, who started the Gusher and Basher words?

6. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    I'm not usre exactly, ig goes all the way back to the reactions to TPM, hard to say exactly when it started. I think people were called bashers before the term gusher popped up. Because the divide over TPM was pretty much 50/50, but almsot all agreed the film could be better.

But with AOTC, almost everyone was hyped up again, even those let down by TPM thought AOTC looked great. But the reaction was a lot more blacka nd white, about 10 percent, maybe even 5percent loathed the movie, and the other 90% loved it, many hailing it as the best of the saga. This lead to a lot of conflict as people like myself who were once considered gushers, were suddenly the outsiders not liking AOTC, thats why I stayed away pretty much all summer, there was no point in even jumping into the fray, most threads was 100% praise, but since the dvd has come out people are looking at the film more objectively, seeing the forest for the trees, likewise with TPM ,a lot of people warmed up to it on dvd.

I must admit I did like AOTC more on dvd. So thats why everything has changed alot recently.

Plus a lot of the troublemakers have gotten bored and left.

7. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    The division over the prequels only makes me believe they will be regarded as classics in the future even more.

8. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    really?

Interesting theory, please elaborate.

:)

9. Ree Yees

Apr 6, 2000
    Presumably because opinions were divided after the releases of "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi"?

10. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    This is true.

The only Star Wars film that pleased ALL of the fans is ANH . . . but that was because there were no Star Wars fans before then :)

11. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Actually, that's not true. Believe it or not, there was some guy here a long while back who said he hated ANH, but loved TESB and the rest of the SW films.

12. ksid

ksid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    My opinion is if you like one movie you're a fan.

I was originally gonna say that you have to be a fan of at least the OT, because before that's all there was. But, that's too stringent as well.

13. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    There are too many posters like [edited] who are intent on constantly posting negative threads (or popping into threads just to take a swipe).

As best I can tell, they are furious that the movie was so well received in the Star Wars community and they will continue to post in an attempt to make everyone else agree with them.

Threads like the following must annoy them to no end:
    AOTC POLL

1048 people voted in this poll with 65% giving the movie 5 stars and 24% 4 stars.

YJ edit: Don't name specific people. If you think certain people are a problem, PM me. As long as people give reasoning behind their thoughts, I don't care whether or not they liked the films.

14. ThePassionateOne

ThePassionateOne Jedi Youngling

Nov 28, 2002
    I so feel your pain T_H_X_Skywalker! I just posted some topic similar to this not realizing there was one like it and before it was locked someone posted a snotty coment about it! :mad: how rude! This is serious looking at the titles of the topics people posted it's all trash! I'm so going back to Star Wars Miscelanous!

15. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Well, Im a gusher. I think bashers post thoughts about the prequels that are sometimes unintentionaly insulting to gushers b/c they beleive that the saga is being ruined, and they want to vent out thier frustrations.

Then the gushers post thoughts that are unintentionally insulting to bashers b/c gushers want to make sure that they are heard (particularly TPM gushers). TPM gushers believe they are outnumberd (and if you include nonSW fans, they are indeed greatly outnumbered). THey want to make sure that GL knows that there are people out there who beleive he is doing a fantastic job. Also, deep down, some gushers may fear that GL will make his movies in accordance to fan reactions of the previous movie.

I for one get very insulted at the remarks about Anakin being a "walking hard-on" and "Freudian interpretations" of his dream sequence. I also get annoyed about how people say "he wants to get in Padme's pants". Come on. If anything is desire for Padme is strictly pure.

16. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    If you feel insulted by another person's opinion about a film you had no part in creating, then you're probably taking the film a little too seriously. Someone in this thread mentioned that they would never take the films more seriously than Lucas. Good point, because I'm sure Lucas has 300 million reasons not to take anything we say personally. Just loosen up.

17. OpticNerve

OpticNerve Jedi Youngling

Jul 5, 2002
    [edited]

YJ edit: Banned for trolling/flaming

18. REBELSCUMBjr

REBELSCUMBjr Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2002
    [edited]

YJ edit: Sock of banned user [face_plain]

19. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    I also agree with TokyoXtreme and RS. People need to loosen up and just have fun. This is a MOVIE for crying out loud. I'm not a basher or a gusher, I'm a neutral. I like all the SW films equally and some people need to realize that not everyone will agree on everything. Trust me, I did Debate for 2 years, agreeing on things is not easy. :)

Just relax and have fun :D

Pada915...I am Jack's wasted life

20. Ree Yees

Apr 6, 2000
    Every so often someone loses his/her temper, and insults someon else. More often than not, this is between two persons from either side of the prequel debate. This has been so for years. What's there to see? The banned are gone, and will return, perhaps in a new form, with a lesson learned.

21. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Every so often someone loses his/her temper, and insults someon else. More often than not, this is between two persons from either side of the prequel debate. This has been so for years.

So true. When something like this happens, in the case of Ree Yees topic about Daniel Logan and his character role the topic is was closed. I promise I won't do anything like that again. [face_blush]

Edit: More quote and sentence

22. homeless_jedi

homeless_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    not while im here.!

23. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I think it's time to give YodaJeff a little credit here as well. His fair moderating has helped to calm the nerves of people on both sides of the fence here, I think. The past couple weeks, it just seems like people have become more tolerant of one another's opinion, which is a great thing. No one wants silly, juvenille drama in here. As long as posters who do nothing but cause trouble (think crimson space object) are summarilly banned, this should continue to be a great place to discuss the films.

24. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    "As best I can tell, they are furious that the movie was so well received in the Star Wars community and they will continue to post in an attempt to make everyone else agree with them."

I can only assume that my anme goes under the [edited]

I can teel you that the above remark is anything but the case.

25. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    REBEL SCUMBjr?

father and sone reunited at last :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.