main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anyone else feel the AOTC forum is going down?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by T_H_X_SKYWALKER, Nov 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senseless_apprentice

senseless_apprentice Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2002
    Agreed Rebel Scum

I think Mods can do a great job with forums. By locking the threads that are genuinely redundant. It used to be that way, but I've noticed a turn for the worst in most rooms. I can understand that mods might get tired of seeing the same stuff but these rooms aren't about what they like and don't like. Just because one thread is devoted to Obi-Wan doesn't mean you can't have another thread purely on his lightsaber.

may the force be with you....

2. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    senseless_apprentice, if you have any examples of threads that you don't think should have been locked and redirected, please let me know, whether as a reply to this thread, or in a PM.

Rebel Scumb, combining the TPM and AOTC forums has been discussed before, and most people seemed to think that it was too early. In my opinion, both forums are strong enough to survive on their own right now.

3. senseless_apprentice

Dec 18, 2002
    Yodajeff:

Fair argument but why should I provide any names? It happens every single day on forums accross the council, you know that. Even if I named a few, you'd just rationalize the stifling of them.

4. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    "Fair argument but why should I provide any names? It happens every single day on forums accross the council, you know that. Even if I named a few, you'd just rationalize the stifling of them."

Believe it or not, I do care. Please, point out threads that I locked. Pick on me if you have to, just so I can get a feeling for what the members want, and so I can maybe try to explain to you why I locked the thread. I can't really control what anyone else does, especially in another forum, but I can work on trying to improve what I do to better meet the tastes of everyone who visits this forum.

5. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    The thread - 'The most DISSAPOINTING scene in Clones!!!!!!'

The Poster - richar900
    whom you constantly edited, in fact, your editor's comment on his first post clearly indicates where you stand and your inability to remain impartial.

Might I suggest that if you or any mods disagree with a poster's opinion, you write a post saying so, instead of editing in bold the poster's comments.

6. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    "whom you constantly edited, in fact, your editor's comment on his first post clearly indicates where you stand and your inability to remain impartial."

The only edits that I made to his posts were where he made borderline flames on how "fans" think. Trust me, I can remain impartial. I've fought for people to have the right to post negative opinions of the prequels, as long as they do so in a civil manner (which can be seen here). And, if you ask me, that thread was far from civil.

"Might I suggest that if you or any mods disagree with a poster's opinion, you write a post saying so, instead of editing in bold the poster's comments."

I do reply when I disagree with someone's opinion. I don't automatically lock threads because I disagree with someone. I will lock a thread when it gets out of hand, and when people start making remarks about other posters, whether it was started by someone who liked the film or if it was started by someone who hated the film. Everyone is allowed to have an opinion, but when they start acting like their opinion is somehow correct and everyone else is wrong or "stupid" or when they act like their opinion is the truth, and not just an opinion, then it becomes a problem.

7. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    YodaJeff - I've read through that thread from Shelley and I applaud you for the staunch defence you put up.

"Everyone is allowed to have an opinion, but when they start acting like their opinion is somehow correct and everyone else is wrong or "stupid" or when they act like their opinion is the truth, and not just an opinion, then it becomes a problem."

I think the problem is that this comes naturally to everyone. A person's opinion is their truth. This is the down side to free speech, it means people have to listen and tolerate the ideas and opinions of others no matter how different or even how stupid they may be.

To write a post sharing perspective with others is by definition giving an opinion. But that opinion is fact in the mind of the writer, and thus they will get defensive No amount of mod control can change this, it's how humans work.

But about my comments on your editing of richar900. I draw your attention to this:

"YJ edit: I've only read half of this thread so far, but I've seen enough already."

It's interesting to note that the thread was civil until Durwood's post.

8. Hell_Sith666

Hell_Sith666 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 31, 2002
    The ""Most Dissapointing scene in Clones"thread was the worst example of the gusher goon squad mentality I've seen in a long while. The usual bunch of smart ass posts from the usual pack of idiots.

9. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    The ""Most Dissapointing scene in Clones"thread was the worst example of the gusher goon squad mentality I've seen in a long while. The usual bunch of smart ass posts from the usual pack of idiots.

I keep getting the vision of a pot and kettle, both black, when I read that post.....I have no idea why, though.

10. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    I'm just disappointed that no one responded to my posts in that thread.

But, hey.

11. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    ^
    |
    |

Hell_Sith666's post above is the type of stuff that I usually edit out. I don't edit out someone's opinion on the movie (unless it contains inappropriate language), but I will edit out comments about other posters.

By the way, Hell_Sith666, I made a note of that comment, and consider this a warning. Don't discuss the other people here, discuss the film.

12. royalguard96

Aug 13, 2001
    I'm just disappointed that no one responded to my posts in that thread.

Welcome to the club DG :(

13. senseless_apprentice

Dec 18, 2002
    I think redxavier has it right. I don't think mods should go around locking rooms if theres no flammage. If something is a little redundant, let it slide, its important to some one and they don't like it shuved in their face...period. After all, its just a board....

14. royalguard96

Aug 13, 2001
    Redundant topics are against the TOS. Plus, they take up unnecessary room on pages. The best discussion tends to take place within the same topic, although sometimes it can veer off center within that topic. YJ does just fine at killing redundant threads along with silly, flame-inducing ones.

15. senseless_apprentice

Dec 18, 2002
    Yes I must concede that YodaJeff does do a good job and I haven't seen much, if any stiflage from him. I cannot say the same for the other mods. I still think that only the most redundant of threads should be locked in the interest of keeping the ideas flowing.

16. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    Actually my chief problem is not bannings or thread locking, its editting posts.

Unless there is inapproiate language a post should not be editted.

JC posters should be able to learn from the mistakes of other memebers. Plus it causes unnessesary confusion. I recall a time when another memeber was trying to pick a fight with me, eventually I sucemb, and to my end I am of course guilty, but a mod erased the entire series of posts then just left a warning, so I came off looking like the badguy because all the posts of instigation were deleted.

If someone causes trouble they should be warned or banned, if a thread gets out of control, then it should be locked, but posts should never be deleted.

17. royalguard96

Aug 13, 2001
    I recall a time when another memeber was trying to pick a fight with me, eventually I sucemb, and to my end I am of course guilty, but a mod erased the entire series of posts then just left a warning, so I came off looking like the badguy because all the posts of instigation were deleted.

That's because you are a troublemaker, RS ;) Just kidding.

I disagree on editing posts that contain things that are against the TOS, but I do agree on the issue of deleting entire posts, unless they are by the author's request.

18. DARTH_ABBADON

DARTH_ABBADON Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 9, 2002
    Well I think if you are going to maintain the standard of a "family board" you are going to have to delete some posts because there is always gonna be one guy who is too dumb to het his point across without using expletives.

If it is a new topic or at least fairly new (a couple of pages or so) I think a simple lock would be the best way to go. But if you get a thread thats been going fine, has closer to 20-25 pages, and all of a sudden some guy comes in and starts bashing people or cursing or whatever, I think the best choice would be to delete tha post, in that instance, so that the topic could go on. Again if this persists then by all means lock it.

19. senseless_apprentice

Dec 18, 2002
    Some good ideas Darth but I believe that the repercussions of someone's actions should not effect innocent users. Thus instead of locking a thread full of good users, just temp/perm ban the user thats causing all the trouble. Locking threads is impolite and should only been done when there is a geniune reason to do so. Such as flammage and over the top redundancy.

may the force be with you all......

20. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    "Thus instead of locking a thread full of good users, just temp/perm ban the user thats causing all the trouble."

This is what I try to do, especially when I notice something as it's starting to happen. If necessary, I'll ban someone, or edit a post, or simply post a reminder/warning to stay on topic. The only reason that I'll usually lock a thread for going too far is if the trouble was caused when I was away from the boards, and if it escalated into more than just a few posts that needed to be edited.

21. senseless_apprentice

Dec 18, 2002
    That sounds more than fair and it coincides with what I have seen from YodaJeff. Maybe you can tell Quix and Mace about those tactics? :)

22. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Why did you let Punisher run you over with five topics that could of been done in one. He knew full well what he was doing. Did you even punish him? I sense special treatment. [face_plain]

23. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    I didn't let anyone "run over me" and I don't give anyone "special treatment".

Quit making baseless accusations. You don't know whether or not someone has been punished. Punishments are meant to be private, between the moderators and the individual.

24. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Yoda Jeff is a rare beasty... he doesn't suffer from "Mod God" syndrom like a couple of Mods I have had dealings with (and don't get your knickers in a twist, I've delt one on one with a heck of a lot of them and my opeions of them are pretty wide ranging but I digress...) He gives warnings before taking action (as needed) and in all my dealings has been very aproachable...

25. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    Thanks a lot. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.