main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Anyone think post-SOLO there will now be an episode X and beyond?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by avcpl, Jun 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avcpl

avcpl Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 26, 2016
    I'm not sure I think this, but I'm sure some higher-ups are thinking about it. It's their biggest cash-cow and they're just going to end it??

Skywalker blood still flows in Ren!

There's something magical about those title numbers! X! XI! XII! that will still draw people in. I think if this ends a lot of casual SW fans won't just automatically jump to the new sagas being developed; they'll just put it to bed...

2. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    Yeah but in 20-30 years. Maybe 10.

MillenniumFalcon2015 likes this.
  3. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Yes, of course, but probably 9-10 years down the road.
    And we'll get some other stuff until then.

4. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Never thought there was going to be an Episode X and still don't.

5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Fixed. :p

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    MillenniumFalcon2015 and avcpl like this.
  6. Joruuuuuus C'baoth

Joruuuuuus C'baoth Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 28, 2018
    Skywalker saga ... if it isn't continued (or is postponed a decade or so), I don't think it'll be because of Solo, but because of story/narrative elements. Considering how much money Disney/Lucasfilm is making with SW with or without a Solo flop (TV series, theme parks, and the ever-giving lifeblood of merchandising), I doubt that film will impact much more than the direction of future anthology/spinoff films a la likely Fett / Kenobi films. I mean, we're already looking at both a Rian Johnson series and a Benioff and Weiss series, so I don't think the production line is going to wind down until at least those are released.

jaqen likes this.
  7. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I hope Solo doesnt impact their plans going forward except encourages them to also think about more moderate budgets for the anthologies so they all don't have to be these big epic blockbuster must haves in order to succeed. The Anthology films should be varied not just in characters and their stories but in their conception and execution. How about a silent SW film with nothing but pure cinema: music and images?
    But they will only be able to do that if they mitigate the financial risks by trying all sized budgets not just blockbuster ones.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    jaqen and Bor Mullet like this.
  8. LittleDefel

LittleDefel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 17, 2012
    I originally thought they would save Episode X for 2027 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Star Wars. Now, I think they likely will scrap the Rian Johnson trilogy and move up Episode X to include future adventures with Rey, Finn and Poe and ghost Luke. It's the biggest sure thing they have.

I know Daisy Ridley has said she wants to move on after Episode IX, but that could change with a big paycheck. Rey is the best character that has been created in the Disney era and they should go back to that as soon as possible.

I also think the spinoff movies will be scrapped and instead turned into a Star Wars Underworld tv show for the Disney streaming service that will probably include legacy characters like young Han, Lando, Chewie, Obi-Wan, Boba, Maul, Jabba, etc. I definitely want to see those stories told but I do think those types of stories focusing on legacy characters mainly only appeal to diehard fans like us.

From the perspective of the Disney corporate heads, a set of movies by the Game of Thrones guys along with Episode X are the safest bets and so that is likely what will follow Episode IX.

By the way, I think Rian Johnson would actually do a great job with his own trilogy where he could come up with his own characters, but unfortunately there does seem to be a stink on him that is a lot more significant than originally thought. That stink is probably unfair, but if Disney thinks Rian's name will turn off a significant portion of the audience, they might not want to let him move forward with his trilogy.

Twain, avcpl and MillenniumFalcon2015 like this.
  9. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I actually want them to do a trilogy with Rey, Finn and Poe because the OT characters have overshadowed them, or at least Finn was in VIII. I thought VII did a good job balancing the introductions of the noobs with the legacy ones but man, Finn was really shelved for VIII.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  10. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Of course. To quote Weird Al, they'll be making these movies till the end of time.

11. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Depends on Rian's trilogy. If he produces something exceptional then I wouldn't bet on it. I might bet on a reboot of the OT in a couple of decades after George has left this earth.

12. mike778

mike778 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 9, 2012
    Needs a 15 year (20 years film time, 15 years real) time gap for me ...

Let the characters have moved on to be interesting - maybe not to Luke type levels. An Episode 10-12 works for me if the good guys somehow win but Kylo Ren survives and isn't redeemed.

Whilst I like the ST, Rey doesn't work for me as a character to lead the saga into Episode 10. They've done a pretty good job of building up sexual tension with her and Kylo Ren (its about a million times more convincing they would get it on than Anakin/Padme) but its lust not love. If I was in charge I'd hook them up very early on in Episode 9 generate a sprog to keep the lineage going. Then there' a violent break-up and Kylo kills Rey before the good guys win the day eventually and Kylo escapes.

Not going to happen but works perfectly

-Solves the Rey problem in that people just haven't warmed to her as the main good guy/girl, would fix the Mary Sue accusations and give her a fitting end if done well
    -Legitimises Kylo Ren as a serious bad ass early on in Episode 9 and banishes the memory of him being given a bit of a kicking by her in Episode 7
    -Fits in perfectly with the way that they have developed the two of them and particularly matches Kylo's character
    -Sets up a future sequel perfectly as you have a skywalker waiting on the production line and a ready made behind the scenes bad guy biding his time to return with an apprentice

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    After most the fans have or else they would be an uprising. :p

14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I think Rey, Finn, Poe and Kylo's stories should end with a satisfying wrap-up in Episode IX. Perhaps bring them back 20 years later, when they're actually...older.

15. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Episode X-XII is guaranteed. There's too much money to be had in the main saga films. The only question is whether they'll star Rey/Kylo/Finn/Poe.

If it were up to me, I'd set the next episodic trilogy 100 years into the future with all-new characters. SW Episodes should put the WAR in "Star Wars" -- they depict galaxy-wide conflicts that threaten the very fate of civilization. That's what'll distinguish them from Rian's trilogy or Benioff & Weiss's series.

As for Rey, Kylo, Finn and Poe, I definitely want to see more of them but in standalone movies -- check in with them once every 4-5 years. Rey rebuilds the new Jedi order. Kylo travels the galaxy in search of redemption. Poe and Finn confront new (smaller-scale) military threats to the Republic.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  16. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    I'd be fine with the ST characters in the mentor roles taking place much later or being the main characters themselves.

And not necessarily all the characters. I personally think it'd be cool if one of Rey sacrifices herself at the end of IX, while Ben lives.

17. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I've always thought there would be an Episode X. What does that have to do with Solo?

What does Rey's DNA have to do with Episode X?

18. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    This doesn't belong in here. We have a Forum for discussing the possibility of future Episodes. Locking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.