main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT anyone watch the Icons Unearthed show? the prequel movies

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by XandertheWise, Aug 17, 2022.

1. XandertheWise

XandertheWise Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 7, 2022
    on the last episode of Icons Unearthed on VICE, they totally talked trash about the prequels. Even Anthony Daniels got in on it even talking trash about Kenny Baker and was complaining about C3PO's role in Attack of the Clones.

2. Kamdan

Kamdan Jedi Knight

Oct 21, 2013
    I was genuinely surprised at Attack of the Clones co-writer Jonathan Hales’ criticism of Ewan McGregor‘s acting, commenting that it was “phoned in.” I thought it was harsh considering the fact that McGregor had two obvious detriments going against him: he had to do an Alec Guinness impression and mainly had to act to nothing. He tried to make a comparison to Harrison Ford’s charisma but failed to notice that Ford obviously had more to work with. Hales was more complementary to Hayden Christensen, stating that he had “sheer quality” (but his English accent made it sound like he said “**** quality”).

I appreciate Hales’ bluntness over the manners and it sounds like he’s more to blame for criticisms of the dialogue more than Lucas as he states that he and Lucas worked out a story treatment and Hales was the one who turned it into a screenplay. It sounded like he had some say on the story as Hales objected to Lucas wanting to bring Jar Jar along with Anakin and Padme’s for their storyline.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
  3. XandertheWise

Jan 7, 2022
    I dunno what Ian McDiarmid is like how he really feels about the prequel but jeez, on the Icons Unearthed finale about the prequels, Anthony Daniels really ranted and raved being negative about everything even insulting Kenny Baker where he thought Kenny Baker wasnt a real actor.

4. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    is Vice a streaming service in USA? I'm in the UK so I'm wondering how to see this?

Dandelo likes this.
  5. XandertheWise

Jan 7, 2022
    VICE channel is a tv channel that you watch on tv.

6. XandertheWise

Jan 7, 2022
    Anthony Daniels ended up looking like an a-hole on the prequel episodes for Icons Unearthed.

Especially with him insulting Kenny Baker even when Kenny's dead

UnlimitedSarcasm and elfdart like this.
  7. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Why am I absolute not surprised that a VICE documentary would need to trash talk the PT? It just fits the VICE profile. "Talk drugs, talk quirky stuff, trash the PT, talk more drugs. VICE!"

And Anthony Daniels is being Anthony Daniels. I really can't tell where the performer ends and the real life person starts, but GL chose the perfect human for that protocol droid, down to every flaw.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
    Huttese 101 and Watcherwithin like this.
  8. elfdart

elfdart Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 1, 2001
    I saw an interview with the writer of this "documentary" and I got the impression that they were NOT going to do a hatchet-job on George Lucas. I should have known better, since Chris Gore was the interviewer -the same Chris Gore who has spent almost a quarter century promoting the long-discredited notion that Gary Kurtz was the "real" genius behind Star Wars. I also should have been suspicious when they kept advertising the show as having the first on-camera interview with Marcia Lucas, which was false: she did one five years earlier for the 40th anniversary of the first release of Star Wars.

Most of the material is nothing new to anyone who read the late J.W. Rinzler's "Making Of" books, as well his biography of Howard Kazanjian, which included extensive interviews with Marcia Lucas.

What is new is a lot of dirt on the making of ROTJ. Richard Marquand gets a real pasting for being, according to Daniels and others, all hat and no cattle as a director. George Lucas and Roger Christian did most of the directing, especially when the production moved to California. It's hard to blame Marquand since he wasn't the first or even the second choice to direct, and it's not his fault one of the three leads was having terrible drug and alcohol problems while another was phoning it in because he thought the producer had fleeced his agent on the contract. I blame the DGA and WGA for Lucas being unable to get his first choice, Steven Spielberg, to direct the film.

If Icons Unearthed had stuck with the dirt on the actual making of the movies, then it might have been good, trashy fun. But they insisted on digging into personal animosity between George and Marcia Lucas and that really left a sour taste. It's been well known for decades that she left him, and he avoids even mentioning her name. So Icons Unearthed gives her the floor to smear her ex-husband as a racist because what more despicable way is there to attack a man who is currently married to a black woman? Brian Volk-Weiss, the writer/producer of this tabloid trash, ought to be ashamed. Even the Red Letter Moron never stooped this low.

9. elfdart

Apr 1, 2001
    Their "documentary" about Andrew "Dice" Clay was such a one-sided hatchet-job that I was tempted to go buy a leather jacket and do nursery rhymes in a thick Brooklyn accent:

"Hickory dickory dock/
    Vice documentaries are great... big... CROCK!
    OH!"

10. elfdart

Apr 1, 2001
    Correction:
    "Hickory dickory dock/
    Vice documentaries are
    a great... big... CROCK!
    OH!"

11. XandertheWise

Jan 7, 2022
    speaking of Andrew Dice Clay on VICE

Isnt his old Ford Fairlane movie the one where he had a weird looking koala for a pet and the koala was eating popcorn?

also whats the name of his other movie where it was sort like a kung fu comedy flick with Teri Hatcher?

12. XandertheWise

Jan 7, 2022
    if Anthony Daniels thinks he could get away with talking trash about Kenny Baker and the prequels on the VICE specials about the Star Wars moves then maybe he should explain about his movie I Bought a Vampire Motorcycle

Huttese 101 and elfdart like this.
  13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yes.

"Brainsmasher...A Love Story".

elfdart likes this.
  14. elfdart

Apr 1, 2001
    His best movie is No Contest, a 90s action film that was Die Hard at a beauty pageant -in Winnipeg! Dice plays the leader of a team of mercenaries who hijack the Miss Galaxy contest. His Kung Fu battle with Shannon Tweed is epic! Speaking of Shannon Tweed, this is the only movie where she doesn't appear naked. As Joe Bob Briggs would say:

"Check it out!"

15. Huttese 101

Huttese 101 Sam Witwer Enthusiast star 7

Jan 19, 2016
    I had not heard about this documentary, but it does sound like it's in keeping with the gonzo-oid niche that Vice Media desperately wants to inhabit. Honestly, this documentary sounds like a drunken rant that no one is spared from. Marcia Lucas trashes George? The co-writer of AOTC throws Ewan McGregor under the bus? And Anthony Daniels is beefing with Kenny Baker for some reason? I've never read Rinzler's books, and I'm gonna need more context so I guess I'll have to watch this.

Anthony Daniels taking pot shots at the prequels is not new, but him not liking working with Kenny Baker is news to me. It seems like a low blow, especially after Baker has passed away.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022