main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit -Anything- known about Mara's sleeve blaster, or its Imperal Palace library replacement

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JohnLydiaParker, Jun 15, 2019.

1. JohnLydiaParker

JohnLydiaParker Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 14, 2019
    Mara Jade's sleeve blaster features somewhat prominently, but besides not having it's model named, I haven't even come across a good image of it. The square-nose holdout blaster is certainly not it, if only due to being too large. A few practical measurements seem to indicate that the weapon part has to be -entirely- in front of any grip for it to be small enough to fit in a sleeve. Mara Jade: by the Emperor's Hand has the only images of it I've seen, and even then there's not much shown. It seems to be roughly ovoid, blue for some strange reason, and it's held with her hand wrapped around the blaster, rather than using a grip, which works size-wise. But even in that comic, the first of two times it's shown it's only partly visible, and the second when Mara's using it it's almost entirely covered by her hand. (Which would make sense.) It's also apparently somewhat featureless.

The other odd thing was that the Imperial holdout blaster hidden in the library on each floor of the Imperial Palace somehow -also- fits in the same holster, despite repeated statements and impressions that most people wouldn't realize "a blaster that powerful" could actually fit in her sleeve to begin with. So it seems there are actually two Imperial holdout blasters that are that small. (Has the the hidden Palace blaster been identified at any point either?)

The original blaster runs almost out of shots in Choices of One; in The Last Command, in the Imperial Intelligence raid on the Palace, using the blaster from the Palace library she fires 9 shots, and possibly more. She also had no qualms about her blaster change with 6 shots having been fired and 6 more targets; almost certainly the Imperial Palace model holds more than 12 shots, likely 15. (Interestingly, 7 of them hit, and only two hastily fired as suppression more than anything missed. There was also only one survivor from the Intelligence team; apparently 4 men (at least) were killed with only one shot each. (Although there might have been more fired.) Mara apparently also can somehow manage to score head hits under combat conditions; well placed shots probably had more importance that the blaster's damage.)

I guess going back to the topic, any there any good pictures/depictions of her sleeve blaster, or the Imperial Palace one that replaced it, or any other nuggets of information out there? Thanks, and sorry for rambling a bit.

2. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    The comic adaptation of The Last Command has a few panels with it, I think...

3. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    This is the blaster from the Imperial Library in the The Last Command adaptation - art by the late, lamented Eddie Biucovik

[​IMG]

This is also from somewhere in the Thrawn Trilogy comics, but I'm not completely sure where - maybe someone can tell you that before I can dig out my twenty-year-old copies. :p

[​IMG]

And this is a good shot (pun intended) of the one she uses in BtEH...

[​IMG]

As this website notes, Mara often carries her "main" blaster in a discreet holster at the back of her belt. This might also qualify as a "holdout"...

http://chucrew.com/Mara/beltholster.html

I have always thought of Mara's wrist holdout as a Czerka, but I have no idea where that concept comes from - some obscure remark in canon, or fanon, or some headcanon of my own...

In practical terms, I suspect that the real-world reference is the sleeve-holstered, snub-nosed derringer pistol from umpteen Western and Gangster stories.

Note, however, that the main issue with wrist-holstered pistols is often the grip...

The sleeve-holstered variant of the real-world Welrod, a reasonably bulky silenced pistol used by Allied agents against the Nazis, deletes the grip and nine-round magazine, and is basically used like a lightsaber:

[​IMG]

Whereas in Desperado, the fictional hero's sleeve-holstered Rugers have cut-down grips:

[​IMG]

That's a necessity for the practical sleeve-holster effect, not really visible if you watch the scene live - the rest of the scene is more than a little vague about maintaning continuity with that particular practicality.

- The Imperial Ewok

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  4. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    But is anything known about the Complete History of Corvis Minor?

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Apparently there was a hold out blaster involved.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Iron_lord likes this.
  6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    It was in the Cuitric Hegemony, and the sight of the faux Pulsar Station project, which built into a moon in-system.

What more could you want to know?

Iron_lord and Vialco like this.
  7. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I'd like to know more about the Pulsar Station. Was there anything more to it than a set of blueprints and a single bait laboratory on Liinade Three?

Was there anything at Distna other than a false trail and a trap?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

8. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    Handy tech. I recall we never found out what the SoroSuub HeavyTracker 16 and MerrSonn G-8 blasters looked like, either?

9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Not as far as I'm aware. That's quite a necro-post, Mister Chris. o_O

Daneira likes this.
  10. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    [​IMG]

Possibly an artist rendering of a sawed-off Walther P38 pistol and with the hammer removed.

[​IMG]
    In this image it looks made up by the artist entirely maybe, and pretty close to the pistol that Shira Brei is seen using on occasion and Hasbro reproduced :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  11. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    (Sinrebirth) lol, sorry, just one of those many loose ends of the WEG era that apparently never got tied up.