main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side aotc anakin costuming

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Grimby , Jul 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    last year for the celebration i made myself a great looking obi-wan costume from info i found mainly off this board and from amber's site. now i'd like to make an anakin costume, but i can't seem to find as much info on it as i had found for the regular jedi costumes.

where can i find info on making one of these costumes? i'm mainly interested in what material to use and how to make the robe/cape.

sg edit -- just unlocking

2. davenwjedi

davenwjedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2002
    good LUCK on the Ani-cloak.... i personally have been searching for the fabric since May '02... there are a handful of us costumers that are pretty sure the fabric was specially woven for lucasfilm....

if anyone knows any different PLEASE contact me....

the fabric used for the outter cloak has a raised brick wall type pattern on it... very dark brown in color....

as someone suggested in one of the star wars webisodes ( i don't know which one ) they mention something about anakin's cloak not flowing properly in the wind as he rides the speederbike when searching for his mother... they mention his "wool" cloak... and thats about it...

i've asked the jedi council on SW.com what type of fabric was used, but i doubt they will answer....

anyone else wanna chime in with more info ??? did i leave anything out ??

NWJEDI
    dave

3. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    thanks for the info dave!

yeah i'd like to know if anyone's found a good material to use for the robe.

also i wonder if there's a pattern anyone's used that's pretty accurate.

4. AnakinWisler

AnakinWisler Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2002
    Yeah... good luck on fabric for the cloak [face_plain]

You can see my Anakin costume in my profile. Anakin's costume is the best! :D :cool:

EDIT: as far as I know, there isn't a "pattern" for it :mad:

5. davenwjedi

Mar 5, 2002
    <<<i wonder if there's a pattern anyone's used that's pretty accurate.>>>

i found a seamstress back in Sept. '02 and her and i have been working (off and on part time) on the ani-cloak prototype for close to a year now.... i'll see if i can find the pictures i had taken and i can email it to you, or post a link here....(i did post some picts under an anakin costume thread on these boards months ago... )

NWJEDI
    dave

6. Master_Byrd

Master_Byrd Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2002
    The guy who made my robe does Anakin based ones... I can PM you his web page if you'd like... Not the fabric you're looking for, though. I think he uses mainly cottons because wool is hot. He may do a custom job in whatever fabric, however.

7. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    i'd be interested in that! would you mind pming it to me?

8. Master_Byrd

Master_Byrd Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2002
    PM sent, dude :D

9. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Howdy ya'll. I have made a couple versions of Anakin's Ep2 costume--I would be happy to share with you which fabrics I used and how I made the costume if you are interested. I usually do women's costumes so be advised that my pictures were taken on a female dress form--but are men's costumes.

The Costume

And Here is the Cloak Fabric and the Cloak I made ( Hard to tell detail in pics Sorry :( )

**These links are Geocities and have to be cut and pasted.

http://www.geocities.com/ferdalump/anakincloakfabric.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/ferdalump/anakincloak.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/ferdalump/anakincloak2.jpg

I cannot say either is 100% accurate--but I was happy and so were the recipients :)
    ~Ferd

10. davenwjedi

Mar 5, 2002
    Ferd --

your fabric looks good !!! it would help if you could set a quarter on top of the fabric to judge what size the fabric pattern in....

i would also like to see more picts of the cloak on some broad shoulders to see what the front flaps and shoulder area looks like....

NWJEDI
    dave

11. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Same here...I also sent you a PM Ferdalump :)

12. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    I will snap a picture with a quarter on the fabric and post it for you.

Sorry--I don't have any pictures of it on an actual man :( This was a custom piece for someone out of state. I didn't get any pictures of them wearing it :(

I know you can't see the flaps and pleats--But they are there! :D I'll sketch out the details of how I put it together (the cloak) and link to it as soon as I have a free minute.

The material (cloak) was a home decorator print I found at Joann's fabrics. It was around $6.00 a yard (if memory serves :) ) I used about 10 yards. The material was originally sage green and I dyed it (many times) with a combination of Dark Brown and Black Rit dyes in a boiling dye bath.

The pants, sash, inner tabards and outer tunic was made from raw silk (dyed as well), The inner tunic was made using onasburg in natural. My outer tabards were made from pleater (which was black--but now I know they are really dark brown).

Hope that helps!
    ~Ferd :)

13. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    thanks for the link byrd! :D

ferdalump! wow! that robe is awesome! do you have any idea what that fabric is made out of?

14. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    The material (cloak) was a home decorator print I found at Joann's fabrics. It was around $6.00 a yard (if memory serves ) I used about 10 yards. The material was originally sage green and I dyed it (many times) with a combination of Dark Brown and Black Rit dyes in a boiling dye bath.

;)

15. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    what about the tabards? where could i find some good leather or fake leather material online for those?

16. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    You can find both leather and pleather HERE

No minimums-and mail orders to anywhere :)
    Website only shows a *tiny* sample of what this store carries. Call to get more specific information and individualized attention.

Pleather is around $11.00 a yard 60" wide--Leather is *quite* a bit more :)

~Ferd

17. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    so how much would be enough? do you think 2 yards of 56" is enough?

i couldn't find any fabric listings on that site, but i did find some stuff on ebay:

http://search.stores.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&sid=21517361&store=SY%27s+Fabrics+and+Accessories&colorid=6&fp=0&query=black+pvc&srchdesc=y

do you think this stuff would work?

18. SithKittie

SithKittie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2003
    Hey, I dunno if ur still working on this costume or not, but i figured i'd chime in anyway since I made a jedi costume a few months ago and figured out some of the more annoying parts, ie. the tucks and tabards. :p

http://www.geocities.com/costumes118/jedi.html

The tabards I made are six inches wide and about 67 inches long (a bit too long for me, being as i'm only 5'4"). they hand several inches past the hem of my tunic, but that's neither here nor there. My point is, if you cut these on the fold of 45" fabric you shouldn't need more than a half a yard, if you line the tabards, which i'm pretty sure anakin's are lined, if not in the same fabric. Of course, I do advise taking the measurements you want and buying a little extra just to be on the cautious side, but i'm thinking with two yards you'll have a ton left over. And actually, if you look close (sry, you're gonna have to copy and paste the link
    http://www.geocities.com/sithkittie/anakin13.jpg
    there's a seam at the shoulders, which gives you the option of sewing together two pieces or using one. I used one just because i hate seeing seams and topstitching, but i'm wierd, so, yeah :p

That picture also has a good close up of the bunch in the inner tunic sleeve. (really annoying to make, btw)

Vinyl also can be bought at most fabric stores for relatively inexpensive. I've never paid more than 4 dollars a yard and that was heavy duty vinyl. (I also shop clearance, but I've found some great, not to mention large, pieces drastically discounted.) But that's only if you're using vinyl. Which is easier to sew, btw :p Leather, i have no idea.

I want to say Anakin has two layers of tabards, one the same fabric as his outer tunic and obi, the other the vinyl/leather one, but I've only ever seen it in the movie, and I can't find any photos that clearly show it. The one I have (I'd look for more but my comp's being evil) shows a little of the tuck and some of the tabard(s):

http://www.geocities.com/sithkittie/anakin10.jpg

Have you checked out the Padawan's guide? they've got some really good tips on a lot of the Episode II costumes, and really good pointers on Jedi accessories and stuff like that. They also have a page devoted to Anakin's EP II costumes, including some discussion on materials.

http://www.padawansguide.com/anakin.shtml

I have a friend who tried doing a sleeveless robe and had no end of trouble keeping the thing on. My guess is the robe was attatched, tape, pins, who knows, to keep it from falling off. To me, at least the robe part, not the hood, the robe kinda resembles McCall's pattern 2810, which is a woman's cloak with armholes. Of course, it needs altering, but it might be a start.

http://www.geocities.com/costumes118/cloakfront.jpg
    http://www.geocities.com/costumes118/cloakback.jpg

That's a version I made for a friend, and granted it's not the best and you can't really see the seams very well, with a little tailoring and tinkering, it could be used as a base.

Well, I hope I helped a little. I know I ramble a lot, but *shrug* I hope I said something that might make sense. >_<

*reads over what she wrote* I hope that doesn't sound like I think I know everything, cuz i just want to add that I don't. I'm still learning. *cringe* I just have trouble wording stuff so it doesn't sound arrogant. sorry if it does. it's not intentional :D

19. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    wow! thanks for the info sithkittie! that definitely helps. :D

i've also got some experience in jedi costuming, as i made an obi-wan last summer. i'm pretty sure that anakin has two sets of tabards. the question is whether or not the ones underneath are needed or not. i would think not since they wouldn't be noticed that much and there's already a lot to this costume. no sense in piling on extra layers, right? :p

as for the robe, in the pictures i've seen it looks like the fabric is doubled up on the front two pieces to weigh it down, and the opening for the arms is really low on the shoulders.

http://www.padawansguide.com/ani_costume/images/g_anakin.jpg
    http://www.padawansguide.com/ani_costume/diane_anakin5.jpg (large file size)

for the tabards, i'm thinking that i might make them 7-7.5" wide and i'll want them to go down to just above the knee in the front and the back. i measured and that would be about 84" for each one. i'm also thinking they should be doubled looking at that picture you supplied. if i cut 4 8.5"x42" strips across the width of the fabric, that would mean i'd need just under a yard. ok, much less than i thought. ;)

thanks again for the info! :D

20. SithKittie

Jul 5, 2003
    Glad I could help Grimby :D And you're right about the layers. It is sweltering in those costumes. Especially since my entire thing, including the robe (stupid me), is lined. *ick*

*sigh* the things we do for star wars, huh?

Thanks for the insite on the robe. I'll have to pass it along to my friend to see if we can fix his robe :p

Good luck with the costume. Keep us posted ;)

21. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    hmmmm..... rethinking my math there, i believe i'll need 8 42" pieces if i'm doubling up. that would be just about 2 yards. looks like it's about what i originally thought. :p

and as far as fabric goes, i really want something that's as true to the real thing as possible, and i'm going with natural materials again because my last costume was so comfortable.

for the robe i found some wool very similar in texture. compare this to the second link i posted above:

[image=http://64.41.106.48/fabrics/images/WL-338.jpg] [image=http://64.41.106.48/fabrics/images/WL-338b.jpg]

dying this to that dark brown color shouldn't be too hard should it?

checked out silk for the tunics and found some great ones here:

thai silks.com
    the silk gauze is pretty cheap and looks the right color for the inner tunic. and there's raw silk there in a raisin color that would be perfect for the outer tunic.
    [image=http://216.122.251.37/images/swatch/enlarged/020T-000.jpg] [image=http://216.122.251.37/images/swatch/enlarged/0020-510.jpg]

as far as the belt and pouches go, i'm not sure what i'll do yet. i'll probably just try and darken my current obi-wan style belt and get a new belt buckle. the boots i can have hand-made while i'm over here in korea for cheap.

22. davenwjedi

Mar 5, 2002
    the thai brown silk pattern will be microscopic i think you'll find....

and in the picture above that, you may want to see if you can order 1/2 yard, then see what it looks like after it is dyed.... i have found that many MANY fabrics here on the internet look VERY good in scans, but when you get the actual samples in hand they can be VERY dissapointing....a lot of the look of the pattern can be attribituted to the colors of the fabric....

i've been looking for over a year now for some "like" fabric, and haven't found anything that i'm REAL excited about... *sigh* so my search continues..... but for now, i'm gonna have to settle for the closest i've found....

you'll even find that some fabric scan like they are the EXACT fabric, but for some reason, thats the way they scan.... see the blue fabric right in the middle....(click for bigger pict.)

[image=http://www.hollandandsherry.com/collections/summer2003/images/large/hs311.jpg]

please keep everyone updated on your progress....

NWJEDI
    dave

23. SithKittie

Jul 5, 2003
    still on the tabbards topic, for cutting your pieces, did u take into account the width of your fabric? cutting on a fold and stuff like that?

(not meaning to counterdict your estimation, just double checking, cuz i know i've been uber ticked at myself for getting way too much fabric before :p)

*majorly agreeing with davenwjedi*

btw, i think raw silk would be great for the outer tunic, and definitely silk gauze for the inner. Have you checked the prices at a local fabric store? you may be able to get a good sale. *just a thought*

good luck with the belt adn boots. that's kool that you could get them custom made. btw, just curious, what are you doing for a lightsabre? making one?

24. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    for the tabards, i estimated an 8.5" width for a 1/2" hem to go all the way around. does that make sense?
    EDIT: the width of the fabric is 56". perhaps i could use some of that extra width....

i'd check out local fabric stores but i'm on an air force base in korea and i don't know where any are. this is why i'm checking online for most of this stuff ;)

there's a great boot shop downtown that i can get boots custom made though. i've got a design made up and i'm going to take it down there and see if i can get a cheap price on them.

as for the lightsaber, i've already got a cool hilt a friend made me while i was in georgia. i'll post some pics when i get the digital camera i ordered. :D

25. SithKittie

Jul 5, 2003
    ah, duh! i'm stupid. :p considering the fact that you did say you were in korea. (i pay attention, really I do :p)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.