main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

AOTC Redundancy - Linking to existing threads

Discussion in 'Communications' started by YodaJeff, Jun 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I want everyone's opinion on this issue. As just about everyone knows, redundancy is a problem in the AOTC forum.

I realize that the mods can't always be there. And I know that they don't always have a link to an existing thread, even though they know it is redundant.

Along with other members, I've tried to help out a little bit by posting links to existing discussions on the same topics or similar topics. This usually isn't a problem. Usually, a mod will come along and say "Follow the link below".

Let me also state that I do this because I am trying to be helpful. I'm not sucking up, and I'm not trying to be a mod. I'm just trying to be helpful. Also, I'm not saying that I think the thread should be locked. I leave that decision up to a mod. I see my posts as being helpful references.

I don't see a reason to have 100 different posts on why everyone thinks Palpatine is or isn't Sidious. I think there can be better discussions if the discussion is left in one or two threads. I would think that most people would agree with me here. I know that newbies (and some oldbies) are afraid of the larger threads, but it really helps conversations if they can be kept in one spot. I've read some comments from "veteran users" in the Community forum, stating that they are avoiding the AOTC forum due to the redundancy.

To my point:
    Recently, there have been a few posts and PM's complaining about me (and others) trying to be helpful. I guess that we're ruining the fun, by trying to help keep things organized. As far as I know, the majority (if not all) of the mods appreciate the help. So I hope that this thread can be the place for everyone to complain about it, or to be supportive.

Here are a couple of the quotes that made me decide that this should be discussed:

"YodaJeff, you will NEVER become a mod by so annoyingly put links into every GODD*MN thread around here. Quit it."

"YodaJeff your stupid posts are going too far... Sometimes people don't WANT to read a hugeass 3000-post thread or have specific questions. "

If these were the only two isolated incidents, I would just shrug it off. Unfortunately, there are more where these came from.

So, I'm coming here to find out what everyone's opinion is on the issue. Thank you for your help and suggestions. I value your opinion, no matter what it is.

2. IfAnakinLikedJazz

IfAnakinLikedJazz Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    I agree with YodaJeff here.....he's doing us all a favor........redundancy is the work of the devil!

3. ADONIAH32

ADONIAH32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    I am doing the same thing, and I too received a PM from someone about it.

I think we are doing you the favor by not letting that forum become comepletely polluted with redundant posts. What do you want: a forum full of opened, redundant threads? Or a forum with locked topics and official threads to discuss in while the forum is kept clean?

I think the appropriate choice is the latter in this choice. I don't really understand why these people are getting upset with us.

4. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002
    as you know, i think that you are doing an excellent job trying to curtail the repetition on the AOTC boards (see me sig ;) )

i think that the lunacy will die down within the next couple of weeks, but in the mean time, i agree that it is most unfortunate that people are so rude to you just because you are trying to help..

i had talked with a mod about what it would take to make you a VIP, not just because you do an amazing job of pointing out redundant threads, but also so that when the newbies (and sometimes oldbies ;) ) see your "color" they'll give you some respect... i would still like to see that happen for you!

i thought there was some discussion about solutions here [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=6960074]Chaos in PSA must end. I have the solution[/link]

i am not sure what ever came of it, though..

you have my admiration and support!

5. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001
    This is so freakin' annoying, and I completely sympathize with you guys.

You're simply trying to help us out, and all you get in return is crap for it. This is why I like to say "Follow So-and-so's link" when I close a thread. It's a bit of a "He was right, you idiot" from me to them. ;)

But I'm not sure how much can really be done about it. Although, if someone is really giving you a hard time, feel free to PM me and I'll see what I can do.

6. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    YodaJeff, I think you do a hell of a job in the AOTC forum.

7. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    YodaJeff -- there's always some people who defy logic. I think 99% of the members of PSA appreciate what you're doing. I personally think you're doing a fantastic job.

Keep it up. :)

8. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Yes, keep it up. There are always going to be people out there who think you're harshing their buzz. But they're just the EU freaks. :p

9. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    Hey YodaJeff, don't let the vocal minority of members get you down. I believe that I speak for nearly all of the AOTC forum members when I say that we all very much appreciate what you are doing. :)

Its just like I've said in one of the countless number of threads that I've locked that have had links posted by you in them:

"YodaJeff is my new best friend. :) ;)

:cool: Mace Windy,
    windier than the signature feature!

10. ADONIAH32

Jan 18, 2002
    It seems like it is only a few people. I think you're right when you say 99% of the people appreciate it...there are a few select who yell at Yoda and even me now about it.

11. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    We do appreciate the help. Curbing redundency is essential to managing a board this big with this much traffic. If people can't understand that then maybe this place isn't for them.

12. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I agree don't let them get you down. Some people did that to me too.

I for one comend you. The AOTC forum is to hectic for me right now. :p

13. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    [face_plain]

YodaJeff, we already have a thread on AOTC redundancy.

;) [face_laugh]

You're doin' a great job, YodaJeff, I wish I was as fast on the links as you. And you still find time to sit in the corner in a certain thread. :D I salute you.

Rick McCallum loves you!

14. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002

i have a question...

is it enough to just post a link in a redundant thread, or should we post a link and PM a mod, or just PM a mod with a link to the redundant thread?

(writing that made me dizzy :p )

15. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    First off, thanks to everyone for your support.

Kerr_Plunk, that's a good question. I usually just post a link, and then let a mod decide whether or not it is redundant. The only time I'd PM a mod is if it's dealing with a bootleg or something else that needs to be taken care of immediately.

16. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    After the film was released, the ATOC was a zoo (as everyone here knows) and I did what I could to help out, linking threads when possible. I've been unable to use my own computer for the past week, so I don't have all my bookmarks and settings with me, but it's good to see so many others doing the work. I too received an annoyed PM shortly after ATOC's release about my linking. I wish I could help out as I did earlier, but I haven't been able to, plus it would seem redundant at times in light of YodaJeff's speed.

:).

17. ADONIAH32

Jan 18, 2002
    *waives hands* I help out too :D

Nah, YJ was doing it before me and is still quicker than me most of the time...but I am catching up ;)

18. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Adding to the "WE Love YodaJeff" club. Seriously, ignore them, you are helping.

I do have advice on what to say to them, but it's not becoming of a mod. ;)

19. ADONIAH32

Jan 18, 2002
    Mmmmm, good these comments may be :)

I am trying my best to help redundancy. Liek YodaJeff said, we aren't trying to lock every thread or even lock them period. Better discussion can be obtained through on or two main threads than through 30 threads about the same thing. That's all we are trying to do...is to facilitate some quality discussion.

And I don't think people know how nice it is when people actually say "thanks" for the links, instead of PMing me or anyone else who helps and harassing us.

Redundancy is an ENORMOUS problem in the AOTC forum, and we all know it. I spent 3 hours in that forum tonight and probably posted in 60 redundant threads giving some helpful links. I think it's the fact that people get annoyed by the links. Maybe they think we are damaging the situation? All we are trying to do is help.

What do others think? I want to know the opinions of those who have been upset with us.

20. Crimson-Larko

Crimson-Larko Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 14, 2001
    What we really need in the AOTC forum is greater structure. Now, I'm not saying the mods aren't doing a good job, in fact they're doing the best job that they can viably do, but far more structure is needed. I'm about to embark on an enormous crusade to emilinate redundancy, firstly be redoing the old AOTC referance thread. That may help a great deal.

I think I've asked these next two questions before, but I think they need re-asking:

1. Why don't we have sticky threads?

2. Why can't we delete locked threads after a certain amount of time?

21. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    1: Because it's not part of the message board coding already, and adding it is unlikely at this point.

2: So far as I know, they are deleted automatically by the server after a couple weeks.

22. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    Thanks to those who took the time to reply. I guess the 2% minority was just more vocal than the 98% majority. I'm glad to see that I'm not just annoying everyone.

The next part of this message is basically directed towards [b]Crimson-Larko[/b] and what he had to say.

[b]Crimson-Larko[/b], Even though I don't know all, I will try to answer your questions:

[b]1. Why don't we have sticky threads?[/b]
    This isn't an option with IGN/Snowboards. It could be rewritten, but it would take a long time, and would be costly. It would definately help some, but some newbies would just ignore the thread anyways. Right now, the best alternative is to keep upping the more important threads (which [b]Kerr_Plunk[/b] is doing a great job at).

[b]2. Why can't we delete locked threads after a certain amount of time?[/b]
    I know this has been discussed before. Here's my take on the issue:
    If the thread is deleted too quickly, the member would think "oh, there must have been some sort of error", and would re-post it. On the other hand, it takes an hour or so to delete it after it is locked, it's already nearing page 2, so it is almost as good as forgotten already. If the original poster is notified via a PM, it may help, but others posting in the same thread may wonder what happened to it. And I'm not convinced that all members understand the Private Message feature.

Also, if you're thinking of redoing a reference thread, be sure to check out:
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=6904769]*** Index of Important Topics / Newbie Survival Thread***[/link]
    There, you can find links to a lot of the more popular threads. The newest batch of links should be on the last couple of pages.

If you want assistance in anything, let me know.>

23. Tayschrenn

Tayschrenn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2002
    Your doing great, YJ, don't let the few who complain pull you down.

Tay

24. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    1. Why don't we have sticky threads?

Because we can't get changes made to the code unless the IGN boards request them. If the people that run them decide that they want sticky topics, then we will get them, otherwise we are stuck with nothing.

2. Why can't we delete locked threads after a certain amount of time?

They are. Many different mods go through and delete threads every day that start to appear on page 5-10 so that only those that could be upped are left, and free's some space.

25. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    About sticky threads...

When zerosleep was here briefly last week, he posted that he is able to create sticky threads if he is told they are requested. I asked the question in his thread that perhaps we should make a list of threads we want to be made sticky, and the mods can approve it, and then bring it to him. I got no response.

YodaJeff. Stay strong, friend. I think that people are just grumpy that the idea for a thread they had that was SOOOO original proved to be not so much. They are just frustrated and take it out on those who try to help. That is partly why mods take so much heat. I used to link like you a lot more in other forums, but got the same response you are now. I think that the more of us who do it, the more people will just have to accept that this is the way the mods want the boards to be run, and if they don't like it they don't have to come and feel pressured to read 300 pages, blah blah blah.

As a side note, I don't know anyone who reads those threads in their entirety. When I find an interesting topic, I read the last 2 or 3 pages. It takes 2 minutes, and I'm up to speed with the conversation. It sounds like some people are more interested in posting their own thoughts and not so much with reading those of others and actually participating in a discussion. Sort of like ignoring who ever is talking to you because you are too busy thinking of what you want to say next.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.