main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT AOTC without bad dialogue and romance scenes. How good is AOTC for you now?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Solister, Sep 6, 2020.

1. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Spot on. Great post!

2. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    Maybe keep the dialogue the same, but film the scenes in a way that isn't beyond boring to watch.

3. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Have watched this one hundreds of times, it never once seemed boring.

4. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Well, boring is purely subjective thing, so nothing can be done about it. There is no thing as objectively boring movie, maybe it is just not your type of movie. An example: maybe it would look as blasphemy for many people but I consider the Godfather movies as complete boredom while I realize that they are competently made. And I' m not the only one, by the way. Most women dislike it but is not because I'm woman. I cannot find nothing particularly interesting in these characters, I cannot identify myself with their morals or way of life or values. So, why should be interesting for me? Is not like that in the case of Anakin and Padme which I understand as characters and way of thinking so their story is interesting for me. So, I think boring is matter of taste and subjective understanding.

5. SrWilson

SrWilson Jedi Master star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    No way any rational world this romance would ever happen in the real world any woman who hears their date slaughtered a whole village like Animals would be outta there. But whatever innit. I like ep 2 for start of clone wars and Jar Jars blunder what gives the universe to a madman lol.

6. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    There's literally no way anything that happens in AGFFA would ever happen "in the real world," because it's a fantasy.

7. SrWilson

Feb 2, 2005
    True but even in a fantasy world its still pretty daft unrational reaction especially for someone whos in high positions like Padme a former Queen and now Senator she should be able to tell this guy is unstable get outta there lol.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  8. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    You really don't know what it's like to be madly in love, then.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  9. SrWilson

Feb 2, 2005
    There is no reason really why she should be in love with him but thats more down to the writing but whatever I don't care I just enjoy the fact it helps my boy Palpatine get his man so its all gravy baby! lol

10. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Love knows no reason....

11. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Actually the reason is obvious. Meadow scene. The dinner. The kiss on the veranda. Anakin made Padme feel free, feel herself. Padme would never love a typical Jedi. She doesn't need their patience and balance and seriousness. She is enough rational and serious herself. What she needs is to set free her emotions that, by the way, her position would never allow her to do. But Padmewhile, being the rational one in the couple is not a calculating machine either. She doesn't put assessments on Anakin, she just accepts him, feels him and loves him just as he is: her little boy of Tattoine while grown up, still curious to the world and full of emotions and surprise.
    By the way, being emotional and being unstable is not the same. Anakin is like hot pot of emotions and is what attracts Padme. As I said, he is not the cool guy but is not that she is looking for the cool guy either. He is not rational but is the last thing that Padme would look for. Well, being so emotional, is Anakin vulnerable? Yes he is: and that is something that she considers as strength because he just opens himself to her completely. Is the opposite way of the cool guys: they act as they don't care (Han Solo in Ep. 5). And I think that is other reason that many people don't accept the romance: in Padme-Anakin relationship things are vice versa to the cliche: he is the vulnerable one and she is the rational one.
    And I think is she who gives him the balance, as she is his pillar, his center of life. What he gives to her is the opposite: the passion, the emotion. I like that Lucas created an old fashioned romance that is in the same way so out of the cliche: and even also for the fact that she is older than him.

12. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    @Tonyg Great insights man. Great posts. Iam very much with you on all your points.

When Ep II was released in May 2002 (holy cow, 18 years) I was 15. At that time I have had some crushes on girls but I never had a girlfriend or a kiss or anything. I really could identify with Anakin. He acted just like me in a way that he was clumsy and akward with the ladies. He tries hard and gets rejected. Its not easy for him. You can see his struggles. I really love that about Ep II.

Back then Ep II was my most watched SW movie and Anakin became my favorite character because of the flaws he has He wasnt the typical movie hero who grows over every challenge he manages to succssed over. He is a flawed character and does flawed things. That made and makes him likeable to me (same goes for Luke specially in TLJ). The whole story around Padme and Anakin was and is a favorite part of SW for me. Its not your typical cliche story about a girl madly in love with a guy and she needs to win him over. Its the other way around with two characters who like each other very much from the beginning of the story but cant be together because of their professions. Its more Romeo and Juliet and their love started way more quick and out of nowhere then Padmes and Anakins who spent a big amount of time together before they confessed each others love.

13. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    AOTC is the most visually spectacular of all the SW films, imo. The chase through Coruscant, the rain swept planet Kamino and the orange sheen of Geonosis...just beautiful.

14. antitoxicgamer

antitoxicgamer Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 9, 2020
    Without love scenes, the trilogy would become illogical. Since the love story is the main reason that Anakin, the Jedi, and the Republic fell.

15. oierem

Mar 18, 2009
    I wouldn't say that. The Jedi and the Republic fall regardless of Anakin's turn. Anakin does fall because of the love story.
    As it happens in Titanic, Troy and other great tales, the personal story is what gives an emotional resonance to a historic/galactic event that would otherwise be flat. Anakin and his tragedy allows us to feel the emotion and drama of the galactic story.

I was about to turn 15 when Ep II was released and I could totally identify with Anakin. His akwardness and emotional vulnerability is what makes him accessible as a coming-of-age hero.

StartCenterEnd, Tonyg and KyleKartan like this.
  16. antitoxicgamer

Sep 9, 2020
    Republic fell because Anakin fell. If he hadn't fallen he would allow Mace Windu to execute Darth Sidious which would have saved all the remaning Jedi and the republic.

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    If Palpatine had genuinely believed Anakin incorruptible, he wouldn't have revealed his identity as a Sith Lord to him in the first place - he'd just have sicced the clones on the Jedi without all the efforts at corrupting Anakin.

oierem and Princess_Tina like this.
  18. SrWilson

Feb 2, 2005
    The fact this unbelievable romance just helped Sidious even more makes me like it better each passing moment lol!

19. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    True, but in real life, how often does the pretty girl end up with the "bad boy"? Remember in high school or college where the hot chicks ended up with the meat heads and trouble makers very often? The good guys are boring. Too much like their dad or something, lol. So, to me it is not hard to believe that Padme was incredibly attracted to anakin. Plus, I think a lot of women figure they can "fix" whatever is wrong with us guys if just given a chance. My wife’s been trying for years now. :).

Overall, AOTC remains one of my favorites. The dialog, while not award winning mostly works. Who knows how they spoke way back when? It’s a distant galaxy. There really isn’t any right or wrong way to speak here. The only parts that are a little dodgy is the rolling in the grass scene which is cringey. Then, when they are by the fire....my goodness if she’s trying to NOT attract him then why is she dressed in the hottest outfit available at that time? That was a little much. Otherwise, the dialog is fine and some of it, like early at the picnic when they are discussing dictators is actually great.

20. antitoxicgamer

Sep 9, 2020
    He would imo. Even when Anakin wasn't engaged with Padme, Palpatine was basically Anakin's only father figure after Qui Gon's death.(Anakin was that close to him that he even told Palpatine that he has killed the sand people.Which is sth he never told the Jedi.)

Palpatine at the end of episode 1 began considering Anakin as one of his potential candidates for his next apprentice. ("we will watch your career with great interest.")
    Maybe he considered to make him his apprentice after Dooku from the very beginning.

21. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Unfortunately this is true for some. (the bad boy/girl thing) And guys and girls do it, esp. at a young age. Some grow out of it but others don't. I once had a girl tell me I was too nice when breaking up with me lol.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    Sith Lord 2015 and QUIGONMIKE like this.
  22. oierem

Mar 18, 2009
    Right. There was no need for Palpatine to reveal his identity to Anakin, or to wait for Mance Windu to arrive, or anything at all. Once he had the clones and the support of the Senate, he could've assassinated all the Jedi without any problems. The Republic turned into an Empire regardless of the actions of Anakin (and similarly, the Empire was defeated regardless of what Luke did inside the Death Star).

Palpatine didn't NEED Anakin at all.

Sith Lord 2015 and Iron_lord like this.
  23. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Not true in the slightest. Without Anakin turning, the Jedi would still have been able to stop Palpatine, Mace almost had him, for starters, and Yoda couldn't quite manage on his own -- but imagine Yoda, Mace, Anakin and Obi-Wan had been there together to stop him. He wouldn't have had a chance.

cwustudent and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  24. SrWilson

Feb 2, 2005
    Turning Anakin certainly made it easier for Palpatine to take over quicker I still think he could have done it anyway and probably albeit not in a confrontational way that he does after intentionally telling Anakin his true identity knowing full well Anakin will not be able to resist the bait.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    oierem likes this.
  25. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    The Naboo scenes in AOTC are the inverse of the Dagobah scenes in TESB. I find it odd and perplexing that anyone would want to skip over them or delete them. You pretty much ruin the movie when you do that.