main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Apology scene

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by qui_gonn_jim, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qui_gonn_jim

qui_gonn_jim Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2005
    Right before Obi-Wan takes off for Utapau, there is the apology scene with Anakin and Obi-Wan. I'm trying to figure the purpose and motivation for Anakin at that point, because right after that, Anakin is back in Padme's appartment telling her that the Council and Obi-Wan don't trust him.

Individually, each scene is alright but taken togeher and in the context of being in sequence struck me as really odd.

Any thoughts?

2. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I think the point was to show that Anakin is on the fence at this point. The Dark Side and his own desperate need to save his wife is dragging him one way, while the Jedi Code, his friendship with Obi-wan and his own ethics are pulling him the other. It was also one last time to show them as friends. One last time to drink in their bond and make it hurt that much more when it's severed.

3. darth_mami

darth_mami Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2005
    I think this scene highlights how confused Anakin is. He feels bad about his outburst in the council, when they didn't give him mastership. Also, he feels something bad is going to happen and doesn't want Obi-Wan to go alone. He feels is the last time he will talk to him, and that is why he apologizes. I got this from the novel, but from just the movie I interpret it to be his way of apologizing for anything he was about to do in order to save Padme.

4. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    It's a great scene with impact to the saga. This is the last time they are truly friends and fighting for the same cause. This is before Anakin becomes "a young Jedi named Darth Vader," a pupil of Obi-Wan's.

5. xIntoxicationx

xIntoxicationx Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 21, 2003
    Anakin is 2 faced, always has been. Even on the lightside. I mean... you can see it throughout the pt.

6. qui_gonn_jim

May 21, 2005
    Rol,

Well, I read in the novel where Anakin "force-sensed" that Obi-Wan had been in the apartment and Anakin became a little jealous, but it still struck me as odd that Anakin would do somethig as incredibly mature as admit his shortcomings and then turn right around and plunge back into his own self-indulgence.

The other thing that struck me so odd was the sudden "growth" in the depth of character by Anakin. He had displayed some signs of maturing earlier int he film (agreeing that both Obiwan and he should attack Dooku together; urging patience during the rescue of Palpatine when they were caught in the ray sheild), but his quick self effacing assessment to ObiWan was oddly timed IMHO.

7. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Anakin was not two-faced in that particular scene. He WAS genuinely sorry and considered Obi-Wan a true friend. He loved him.

8. qui_gonn_jim

May 21, 2005
    DarthMami

He feels is the last time he will talk to him, and that is why he apologizes. I got this from the novel, but from just the movie I interpret it to be his way of apologizing for anything he was about to do in order to save Padme.

I read the novel but I don' recall this at all.

9. qui_gonn_jim

May 21, 2005
    I agree. Frankly, I thought that scene was the best acting in the entire movie, especially by Ewan, but Hayden did a good job too.

10. darth_mami

Jun 12, 2005
    I think he is just so impulsive, such a hot-headed person. He apologizes to Obi-Wan, but then he is angry when he feels he's been in the apartment. But as soon as he realizes that is all crazy, he apologizes to Padme about thinking that an forgets about it. He never really believes there is something going on between them.

11. darth_mami

Jun 12, 2005
    It maybe not exactly like this, but he does feels he wants Obi-Wan to stay, or him to go with him. He feels something is wrong. I wish I had the novel with me, but I can check it out later.

12. qui_gonn_jim

May 21, 2005
    Until they get to Mustafar, that is. . .

13. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Anakin's angry with Obi-Wan having been in the apartment because Anakin's paranoid about his relationship being discovered and the child. In addition, Anakin hates feeling as if Obi-Wan STILL checks up on him or doesn't trust him.

14. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    There was still good in him. He wanted to do the right thing but wasn't sure what that was. The outrage and the jealousy Anakin displayed at times before his turn (mostly in the book) I took to be the continuing influence of the Dark Side. It was pushing and prodding him in the wrong direction. I also took this last scene as a sign from Lucas that Sidious was right in seeking to separate the two friends. Had Obi-wan been on Coruscant instead of a wild Cyborg General chase, his influence would have been too strong and Anakin might not have turned.

15. qui_gonn_jim

May 21, 2005
    Well, that makes sense. Like I said to someone else, I read the novel but I don't recall any of that. . .

16. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    It allowed Obi-Wan to say "goodbye, old friend", which dovetails with what Obi-Wan would later tell Luke.

17. xIntoxicationx

xIntoxicationx Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 21, 2003
    I wonder what would of happened if mace went to fight the general, and obiwan was told by anakin about palpatine being the sith. I think obiwan would of taken anakin w/him, but idk what would of happened.

18. qui_gonn_jim

May 21, 2005
    Or better yet, what if Anakin had been sent to Utapau. Man that would have screwed up the story line. . .

19. Antrojedi

Antrojedi Jedi Master star 1

Nov 19, 2002
    Yes. I think it was also the first time that Anakin, when talking directly to him, calls him Obi-Wan rather than Master.

20. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Even though Anakin is no longer a padawan and is now a full-fledged knight in his own right, calling Obi-Wan master is clearly a sign of respect for his former master.

21. Christa122

Christa122 Jedi Youngling

Dec 16, 2002
    My take is that he was genuine in his apology. Also, he and Obi-Wan had been on so many missions together and Anakin was upset he wasn't being allowed to go. Obi-Wan had a grounding influence on him and was a bit of a safety net. I'd like to think that Anakin was afraid to be without Obi-Wan at this time because he was terrifed Padme was going to die and he was struggling with the light and dark sides of the force. Obi-Wan, even in a small way, kept Anakin from going to the dark side. I think he knew that without Obi-Wan there, things might get out of hand, which they did. As someone mentioned before, if Mace had gone after Grievous and Obi-Wan stayed things would have gone very differently.

~Christa122

22. Obihunt

Obihunt Jedi Youngling

Apr 7, 2005
    I think at that point, Anakin was reaching for another confidant. He has hidden so many secrets from everyone he knows (except Palpatine) that he is subconciously asking for someone to help him see another side other than Palpatine's. Anakin could have understood what was happening around him if only Obiwan would have just stopped him and say "You seem very troubled. I can feel it. Tell me what is wrong?" This was the turning point in the entire Star Wars Universe: Here is the Chosen One feeling alone in his inner troubles and needing his mentor/brother/friend to see in him his struggles. If Obiwan became a true brother to Anakin, he would have intervened and helped Anakin. He didn't and the **** hit the fan like you wouldn't believe.

23. cymbalmonkey

cymbalmonkey Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2005
    i believe Anakin sees the Jedi and Obi-Wan as being seperate from each other ... Anakin never trusted the council because the council never trusted him ... since they saw him in the Phantom Menace they have been jealous of his talents and ability and were afraid of him and the power had accumilated ... Mace in ROTS is the perfect example of this ... but Anakin trusts Obi-Wan ... although they do have their differences (like Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan had) they're brothers, friends, comrades ... even on Mustafar Anakin tells Obi-Wan "either you're with me or you're against me" which seemed like he was telling Kenobi to join him and the Emporer ... Although the emporer told Anakin "every single Jedi, including your friend, Obi-Wan Kenobi, are now enemies of the Republic," Anakin doesn't draw his lightsaber ... it's Obi-Wan .... in that Apology scene, Anakin is sincere ... while he doesn't trust Yoda and Mace, he still believes in Obi-Wan ...

24. Annina

Annina Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2005
    I believe he thought it was his last chance to apologise if he was going to do it.At least that's why he does it in the book and I have no reason to think it's different in the movie.He feels he should go with Obi-Wan but he can't and he also has a feeling that something horrible is going to happen if they are parted,and he's right!So he just swallows his pride and apologises before it's too late.And he definitely looks very worried after Obi-Wan leaves.He gives that little smile,but it's somehow forced,it's not what he really feels...I think that's what's so sad about the two of them in that scene.They basically part as good friends and the next time they meet Anakin is like a completely different person.

25. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    RotS has many points in it where it mirrors TPM. TPM is the fairy tale of the story - it shows how that the simbiotic relationship between Padawan and Master and how the relationship SHOULD work with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan being the perfect Apprentice/Master pairiing.

Anakin and Obi-Wan were always at odds w/ each other - the old methods of teaching just didn't work.

The departing/ apology scene wonderfully mirrors the scene in TPM where Obi-Wan apologizes to Qui-Gon for speaking ill of his decisions to train Anakin. Qui-Gon's words match those that Obi-Wan says to Anakin "You'll be a far better Jedi/(Man) than I ever was."

Obi-Wan, like Qui-Gon IS very proud of his apprentice. We also get to see that Anakin and Qui-Gon are very close. It's a wondeful moment because it's the first and only time that Anakin calls his former Master "Obi-Wan" without Master in front of it. The two genuinely care about each other - you can see in Obi-Wan's proud smile that he really has become Anakin's big brother and feels like Anakin's his closest friend.

Anakin is lost at this point. Obi-Wan gives him the praise that Anakin has been craving for so many years, but it's just too late - the war for his soul has begun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.