main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD (April Fools): PT, CT and Saga Forums to be merged

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Nub, Mar 30, 2014.

?

What should the single forum for the existing Star Wars films be named?

Poll closed Apr 1, 2014.
  1. The Original Star Wars Saga

12 vote(s)
    27.9%
  2. The George Lucas Era

18 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Episodes I-VI: The Story of Anakin Skywalker

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  4. Episodes I-VI: The Tragedy of Darth Vader

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  5. Old Star Wars Films

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  6. From the First Saga

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    With a new trilogy of Star Wars films fast approaching, along with the promise of spin-off films, the Jedi Council staff has been engaged in a lengthy discussion regarding the status of the current forums dealing with the existing Star Wars films (episodes I-VI).

The result of this discussion was that it was felt that the division between the 'two trilogies' of existing Star Wars films has been redundant for a long time, and that there is no longer a need for separate forums for each trilogy, let alone a third forum for the two combined.
    Due to this redundancy, along with the lack of traffic (relative to the forums about the upcoming films), it has been decided that over the next month, the Prequel Trilogy, Classic Trilogy and Star Wars Saga In-Depth forums will be merged into a single forum which will be the sole location for discussing Star Wars Episodes I-VI.
    Threads similar to others in each of the forums will be merged - due to memory allocation issues, it is also required that a number of existing threads will be deleted.

The current rules of all three forums will still apply to this new one - however, it is yet to be decided what it will be called, so we've posted a poll with the names currently being floated.

Due to a number of concerns that have recently been raised regarding 'ballot-stuffing' using sock accounts in current polls (favourite Star Wars film etc), the final decision will not be solely based upon the result of the polls, it will be made by the Jedi Council staff - however, we do feel that you, the users, should have some input.

Thanks

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  2. The_Riddler

The_Riddler Jedi Master star 3

Aug 6, 2013
    Personally like "The George Lucas Era" myself

or
    Episodes I-VI The story of Anakin Skywalker

Episodes I-VI The Tragedy of Darth Vader

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I just said GL Era.

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  5. evil-pineapples

evil-pineapples Jedi Knight

Jul 8, 2005
    Definitely partial to GL Era.

6. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Tragedy of Darth Vader, because it sounds the "coolest" out of the three, in my opinion.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Because "Before the Mouse, before the Empire" isn't an option...

The Original Star Wars Saga or the George Lucas Era.

8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Before the mouse, before the empire is brilliant!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I was caught between Original Star Wars Saga or The George Lucas Era. Though the Anakin/Vader ones work. The last two just sound too generic, though.

10. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Why say that the ST isn't still part of the Georgey era? He still wrote the ST's story and will act as a consultant

T-R- likes this.
  11. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    I picked "Original Star Wars Saga" because it's the most neutral (meaning least likely to encourage redundant fan debates) and the most accurate based on current information. The others, I think, have some notable issues.

-We still don't know how far away we are from an era where George Lucas has no influence on the current output of Star Wars content, which makes it hard for me to commit to saying 1-6, and only 1-6, is strictly the "George Lucas Era".

-As much as I like "The Tragedy of Darth Vader", there's so much more to the saga than that. In this instance I feel like a less specific and more general title is needed. Same goes for "The story of Anakin Skywalker".

-"Old" feels slightly derogatory to me. And "First Saga" implies that the new films will be a part of a different saga, which we don't know yet.

But that being said, I do like the idea of including the numbers in the title. I think the most appropriate title for these boards would be something along the lines of "Episodes I-VI: The Original Saga".

Seagoat likes this.
  12. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    I agree with pretty much everything you said, but what I'm conflicted about is that it's repeatedly been stated that the ST is a continuation of the saga, not a new saga. It's just as much a part of it as I-VI... Not to include it may one day result in another fanbase schism

13. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
  14. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    The 'From the First Saga' option was a bit of a dark horse, it's a reference to the prologue of the SW/ANH novelisation:

[​IMG]

Obviously, how the ST pans out could render it meaningless, though, so I doubt it'll be picked.

15. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    George Lucas was the driving force behind these films and he had complete control over them. On the new films, he's a consultant.
    Also, as mentioned, the new ones will be part of the original saga.
    That's why I'd go with "The George Lucas Era".

"The Tragedy of Darth Vader" would work too. Not because that's the only thing these movies are about, but because it's a catchy subtitle coined by the man himself.
    I also dig the idea of the forum title focusing on the story. It sets a nice tone.

16. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    What's the plan for the Spin-off movies?

Or too early?

17. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
  18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Had to ask.

19. Little Mike

Little Mike Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2013
    Really bad idea, will cause nothing but more trouble like there wasn't enough already

20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No "Gotcha" option?

Darkslayer likes this.
  21. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    [​IMG]

Alexrd likes this.
  22. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Why not Fox era movies?

23. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    I went with Tragedy of Darth Vader. It's a better title than Story of Anakin Skywalker, but that's what it really is, the Saga is the story of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader.

24. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    I don't think they should be merged. They get far more traffic than "Star Wars and Music" and the "Lucasfilm In-Depth" forums, and those forums are remaining independent.

Right now a topic will stay on the first page for a few weeks before disappearing into the netherworld of the previous pages, and studies have shown most people only look at the first page if they are doing a web search. If the three are combined, then topics will probably disappear into that netherworld after just a few days, and I doubt most members visit the forums that regularly.

Also, after the ST comes out, I'm sure traffic for all forums here will increase greatly . That would mean greater thread production, which would require more distinct forums, not fewer ones.

Not trying to be a trouble-maker. Just trying to be helpful.

Seagoat likes this.
  25. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    I've been thinking about exactly the scenario darth ladnar brought up. I get the feeling that not only would activity get to the point of insanity, but there would probably be a lot of chaos causing threads to be locked all over (derailment, arguments, etc)

I don't mean to sound derisive to either side, but I've noticed that there are some users who tend to gravitate toward either the PT section or the OT section, and... well you know how easily some debates can spark, then ignite into something more extreme. Just my thoughts

darth ladnar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.