main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Challenge April is WIP Month! (Finish WIPs, Get Prizes!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Findswoman, Mar 23, 2021.

Tags:
  1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
  2. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The Fanfic Manager With The Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Well, to put it mildly, absolutely nothing in April went according to plan and my muse was in something of a fugue as a result. BUT I did manage to force myself to sit down over yesterday and today and I wrote 5,000 words on my next chapter of Now You're a Home. [face_dancing] That broke the unintentional hiatus I've taken since December, and I am eager to get the ball rolling on that project again! So, I'm gonna call that a mega-win for myself. I tinkered a bit with my various other WIPs, but none of them are going to near completion by the end of the month as per my very lofty initial goals.

At the very least, I chipped away at my review goal! I have one day left, and I'm going to try my best to reach my total and honor all of the fine progress that others have been making. Seriously: hats off to everyone who has reached towards their goals, even if that's just a few words at a time! [face_love] [:D]

To that end, I have reviewed:

An Awkward Addition to the Family, by devilinthedetails
    The Captain, the H-Goater, and the Voorpak, by Findswoman
    A Different Side of You, by Raissa_Baiard
    In Dreams We Dwell, by ViariSkywalker​

Now, let's see how many I can kick out tomorrow. *cracks knuckles*

3. amidalachick

amidalachick Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    I finished two small goals! I'm not really sure how that happened, but I'll take it. [face_laugh]

I wrote 149 words on the untitled Ahsoka fic. At this point it's more 'quickly written outline of the idea' than an actual story, but at least it's written down!

And then, I've been feeling very anxious and just down the last few days so naturally I turned to Springsteen. And I ended up writing a 1152 word draft of my Lore Olympus roulette response Devil's Arcade while listening to the song of the same name (which is a haunting, gorgeous song that I highly recommend). I'm not sure how many of those words will end up in the final version of the fic if/when I manage to finish it, but it's a start I guess. :p

Congratulations to everyone who has completed goals or made any sort of progress this month! You all rock! =D=[face_love]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  4. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    A miracle has occurred! Real life relented just enough for me to achieve one of my medium goals: Finish Meet the Aliit! [face_dancing]

5. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    So I'm sitting here waiting for the vaccination appointment website to open for my age group, and that was the perfect opportunity to write my 5 reviews (My Life Reclaimed by Nyota, Cold Harvest by devilinthedetails, In Dreams We Dwell by Viari, Something Wicked by Kit' and Destiny Lies by Starith). I also managed to read a little bit of something by everyone over the past week, so more reviews will come in May.

Participating in this challenge made me realise how many awesome stories I've been missing out on these past few years. Thanks @Findswoman for kicking my butt and making me read fanfic again!

Meanwhile, I completed this morning my chapter for The Tale of Noora and Seyf. I do feel that it needs another round of proofreading but I might even post it before midnight PST :D

6. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Force Ghost star 5

Jun 19, 2019
    Thank you very much to @Findswoman for organizing another wonderful WIP month! I really enjoyed the challenge which gave me an extra incentive to be productive and creative this month.

I'd also like to thank the lovely readers and reviewers who supported all my efforts across all my different stories this month! Your words and the time you take to read my stories are always appreciated and never taken for granted even when my output is slow. Perhaps especially when my output is slow when your patience with my ever-distractible muse is very encouraging.

I am pleased to have been able to read and review 5 stories for my fellow authors and participants. 5 stories that I very much enjoyed and appreciated!

It was awesome to be able to meet my small goal, one of my medium goals, and two out of three of my large goals, even though I am disappointed not to have achieved my second medium goal or my third large goal.

I do plan on continuing those stories, and I do have ideas for what will come next in those stories, so hopefully sometime in early May more chapters can be posted to those WIPs. April at the very least got the wheels of inspiration churning!

Thanks again to @Findswoman for hosting this special event for our enjoyment and inspiration!=D=

Also congratulations to all the authors and reviewers who met their goals or made progress toward their goals this April. Well done all![face_dancing]

7. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
  8. Findswoman

Findswoman Force Ghost star 5

Feb 27, 2014
    Wow, what wonderful work as we move toward the end of this month! @Bel505, @Mira_Jade, @amidalachick, @Raissa Baiard, @Chyntuck, @Mechalich, I’ve got your accomplishments in the index now—way to go to all of you. =D= And @Mechalich, sorry about missing that! It is in there now, along with your five reviews.

And if anyone else has been missed from the index, then by all means let me know!

Keep up the great work, everybody! Allllmoooost theeeere! :D

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  9. Bel505

Bel505 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2006
    Okay. I've just finished posting 3 of the 4 one-shots I wrote or edited this month (two of them were started before, including the one I haven't posted yet). Also, there's another short story included with Return to Coruscant II.

So! Stories written, edited and completed this month that I've posted so far:

Interregnum (Luke/Mara Action/Adventure/Drama/Romance)

Interregnum Missing Moments
    Return to Coruscant I: Han
    Return to Coruscant II
    Return to Coruscant III: Mara

I'll probably post the last one tomorrow. Sadly, while I was very productive on Interregnum II this month, that's not going to be available for the public for a long time yet.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  10. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2002
    Well, the end of this month hit me like a freight train. :p I've spent the last few days packing up my house and moving to a new one, and it's been kinda chaotic. I've written 1,936 words for Enter the Foreign this month, so I think it's highly unlikely that I will reach my goal of 5,000 words for that, or finish chapter 18 before tomorrow. ( :oops: )

I have written a fair amount for my Lore Olympus challenge response, although that was supposed to be a one-shot, and now at over 7,000 words, (and nowhere near finished :p) it seems destined to become a short story. Soooo... I guess that's my progress for this month! I managed to meet one large goal, and I'm really happy with it, and I look forward to participating in the next WIP month!

And great job to everyone who participated, whether you met all of your goals or not! [:D]

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks to @Findswoman for a great WIP challenge and to all who strove and/or reached their goals. I loved the tiers of goals: small, medium, large. =D= And as a reviewer, I had a BUNCH of awesomeness to indulge in. @};-

Bel505, amidalachick, Tarsier and 5 others like this.
  12. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Congratulations to everyone who finished their challenges. Also a massive thanks to @Findswoman for all she does for this board. You are the true MVP.

13. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The Fanfic Manager With The Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Three cheers to this, most definitely! [face_dancing] [:D]

As for myself, I managed to complete my reviewer goal with the following:

The Ossus Excavation and Archaeology Project, by Bel505
    Enter the Foreign, by ViariSkywalker
    Hollow, by Kit'
    Hither and Yon, by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha
    My Life Reclaimed, by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha
    Peaches, by amidalachick​

Again, a huge round of applause to our all star participants and terrific hostess! There are going to be some mighty fine colors decorating our corner of the boards very soon. ;) [face_love] [:D]

14. Findswoman

Findswoman Force Ghost star 5

Feb 27, 2014
    Oh, you people are so sweet! @};- Well, shucks, thank you. I definitely try—I love this place and its people, and want to do the best I can for it! It’s been such a joy to see everyone’s progress this month, not only because of the wonderful reading material that got produced but also for the camaraderie and mutual encouragement that it engendered along the way. That sweetens the whole creative process so immeasurably, and that’s what makes it all worthwhile—you are what make it all worthwhile. @};- So please join me in giving yourselves a nice big round of applause! =D=

All righty! I think I have all the most recent updates recorded in the thread index now. But before I start putting together my lists of (a) completed goals for for the Reader’s Choice thread (which will go up tomorrow) and (b) colors recipients for the mods, I would appreciate it if you folks could please take a moment to check that all your information in the index is correct and that I haven’t left anyone’s amazing accomplishments out! If I have left something out, by all means let me know.

Thank you and huge kudos to all of you, once again, for making this a wonderful WIP Month! =D=

15. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Force Ghost star 5

Jun 19, 2019
    Everything looks in order as far as my goals go!

Thanks again for running this event with such dedication and care, @Findswoman! It is becoming a yearly highlight for me:D

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Everything looks right as far as my goals :)

17. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
  18. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Everything OK for me too. Thanks again @Findswoman !

19. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    All of mine look good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Double post? Really? REALLY?

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  21. amidalachick

amidalachick Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    Everything looks good for my goals, too!

Congratulations to all the participants, and special thanks to everyone who created and shared so many wonderful stories for all of us to enjoy throughout the month. =D=[:D]

And a huge thank you and big hugs to @Findswoman for all the time and care you put into all these challenges and this community. [face_love] WIP month in particular is such a great boost for creativity and productivity, but as someone who often struggles with commenting (well, I struggle with everything but that's not the point I want to make here :p), I especially enjoy the review component that helps encourage me to celebrate and support the stories I enjoy and all the amazing writers here. So, thank you again. [:D]