main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Archaeologists' Club* - digging up good stories from the history... :-)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Mar17swgirl, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Hi everyone! :)

I just got this idea about how we could pay homage to the great fics of this forum's past, and I've been wondering if anyone would be interested.

So here's the deal:

1. Find some long-locked story you like and think is very good. Only stories from the Classic Board are eligible! And they should be completed in December 2002 or earlier. And here's the most important thing: It can be a story you read once, but it will be more fun if you actually go and dig through the old locked stories. That's why this is called the "Archaeologists' Club", after all... ;)
    2. Post a link to it and a review in this thread. Write how did you find the story and why did you like it.
    3. Read one (or more ;)) story that was found and dug up by someone else and write a short review for that one, too. (this is optional)

The goal of this thread is to pay homage to the good stories and writers of the past (many of them don't post here any more). What I also thought, that if a discovered story get popular here (i.e. gets several positive reviews), we could ask a moderator to unlock it, so that people could respond to it and it would float up once more. :) The title would be edited then to include the words "Dug Up Fossil" or similar... ;)

So, what do you guys think?

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Very interesting idea. There were several stories that I loved on the old Classics board. And I'm always on the lookout for old "new" stories.

I'll be the first.

This story was by Marnie, my favorite writer of all time. Redemption
    A time travel story about Obi-Wan and his Padawan Anakin going back to kill Count Dooku before he became a Sith. But, of course, things go very very wrong.

Marnie's language and style is always superb but it is her characterizations of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Qui-Gon Jinn that make her an outstanding author. I remember having my heart be wrenched into pieces a couple of times when reading this story. And the ending was unexpected, believable and completely satisfying. A story worth reading again and again.

3. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    dianethx posted on 6/21/05 4:36pm
    V

This story was by Marnie, my favorite writer of all time. [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Fan_Fiction_Stories--Classic_JC_Board_%28Reply-Only%29/b10016/9423016/p1] Redemption [/link]

[hr][/blockquote]

Damn it, you beat me to the first fic that came to mind! [face_laugh]

4. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    LOL, that's funny Breezy.[face_laugh] I love her stuff but she doesn't write SW fanfic any more. I'll try and come up with other things as well.

Okay, how about this one?

HannahBates For all that is unspoken
    She wrote Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon so wonderfully and canon, too. I didn't always agree with how Qui-Gon was depicted but I could not disagree with her exquisite story line.
    Qui-Gon Jinn discovered that his new Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi had a secret. As a young boy, he had horrible nightmares of a future that is now ROTS and because Yoda knew he needed to be a future Knight and that Masters might not want to train someone so damaged by the dreams, he taught Obi-Wan how to hide it. But once Qui-Gon took him as his apprentice, it all fell apart. The story of how Qui-Gon found out about it and what happened next was wonderful. Lovely language, terrific, heart-wrenching plot and an ending that was mushy, warm and lovely.

She started to write the sequel but stopped in the middle and never came back. If anyone knows if she is still writing, send me a PM please. I loved this story.

5. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    My personal favorite of Red Rose Knights: An Uncertain Path.

link

Bali! :_| Never mind me. She understands. :p

Have others but will have to dig since the author removed the links from her bio. :mad:

6. Agent_Jaid

Agent_Jaid Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 21, 2003

Dark Star by Lari

MARVELOUS story. The characterizations she gives the story are so true to form, and magnificent that you just want to start crying. She also promised us a sequel but heh, she lied.... :( We never got to meet her Mara!!! *wails*

7. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    Face Inside by obi_ew

If you like Xanatos, you're going to LOVE these series! Also her rendition of Anakin is one of my favorites [face_love] This is the start of the Redemption series and they are all well worth the read, lots of twists and turns. ;)

8. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    This is a really great idea!!

9. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002

I just read it and all i can say is WOW!! Has anyone tried pming her or something? I really want her to finish the second part. I did see that she logged in this april. I wonder if she's lurking.

10. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Ooh, great idea. I have many, many favourites there...I spend all my spare-hours rooting around the Classics thread. [face_blush] <and Diane beat me to the 'Redemption' story. Argh. :D>

And here's one of my personal favourites:

'Dreams Die Hard', by Shaindl.

You know, it's always fun to trace the beginnings of a great author - to know how they shaped themselves, before getting to where they are now.

What I particularly liked in 'Dreams...' was the third-person POV...I love reading stories where our favourite Jedi are seen through the eyes of outsiders. And Commander Rohal M?Atar is one of my favourite OC's. The story: Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are sent to settle a treaty on the planet Shabar - and nothing turns out the way it should. There's treachery, betrayal, great action, wonderful Obi-Qui mush...and all's well in the end. Swift, well-told, with the right amounts of light-heartedness.

Will come back with more soon...

11. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    'Dreams Die Hard', by Shaindl.

You know, it's always fun to trace the beginnings of a great author - to know how they shaped themselves, before getting to where they are now.

This was marvelous. I had never read this one by Shaindl before and I love her work.

12. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Yay! I knew you'd like it. :)

Here's another story I love re-reading. 'Trembling in the Balance.' - by Cascadia.

Basically Qui-Obi, lots of angst and mush. Obi-Wan is caught in a problem...and he isn't going to confide in his master about it. I love Cascadia's descriptions, and the way she fleshes out the characters. It's one of my favourites too.

EDIT:eek:h t_s, the 'Redemption' Series...sigh. I fell in love with Shai Kenobi, and can't get him out of my head! [face_love]

13. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    Wonderful thread! I love digging through the locked Classic threads, looking for interesting fics. I've so many interesting ones that way...

Do they actually have to be finished? Because there are quite a few that I liked and have been locked, but never finished...

And now I'll have to rack my head for my favorites...there were quite a few of them.

14. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
  15. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2001
    Marvelous idea for a thread. :) I will definately have to check out a few of the links people have recommended. :)

16. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    What a great idea for a thread.

Requiem for a Padawan: A Jedi Apprentice Fanfic

Even if you're not into JA that much or at all I highly recommend this one by Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi. It was one of the reasons I got addicted to this place, wow! six years ago! :eek:

17. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Author: MASTER-WINDU
    Story: The Hour of Separation
    Story Premises: Back in AOTC, we all know that Anakin wanted to go after the people behind the assassination attempts on Padme. What if another attack took place, and this time, there's no one to stop him from hunting down the mastermind? The repercussions could be -- devastating. Ani/Padme - different take on what will draw the couple apart.

This small story is the most angst ridden, powerfully moving, and gut-wrenching fic that I've ever read. The prose is beautiful and the story lovingly captures Anakin and Padme's personalities to a T. It makes you utterly believe in the power of love and how it can sometimes bring the worst out in people.

If you feel like bawling your eyes out - check out this lovely fic.

18. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Thanks guys, I'm glad you like the idea of this thread. :)

I'm in the middle of the exams period now, so I don't have time for archaeologic trips ;) But when I return home I'll have more time and then I'll join you.

Also, I'd like to remind you, that while it's nice that you're posting links to stories you read and liked back then, but it will be more fun if you actually went and discovered a good story you never read before. :D It doesn't have to be an epic, even a vignette is fine.

Hmm, I have an idea for a challenge here... if you were interested... [face_thinking]

19. Shinar

Shinar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    First story I ever replied to:

The Angel's Last Gift By Shy_Introvert

Ah the memories! My first ANH AU [face_love] I think this is SI's one and only and it's very rough but it's got some wonderful scenes and plenty of emotion.

20. InLoveWithLordVader

InLoveWithLordVader Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2005
    I think this is an awesome idea. I love digging around the Classic board for hidden treasure. I have found lots of good stuff there. Unfortunately, I always seem to find good stuff that was never finished and hasn't been updated in a long time.:( I love getting recommendations for good stuff. Thanks for putting this together.

21. Jedi Obi-Wan

Jedi Obi-Wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 18, 2000
  22. Mirax_Corran

Mirax_Corran Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    Hmmm, lemme go dig up some of the really good ones that I've read. Now, where were they...?

23. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    The Face of the Enemy by Lwyn'nya Kenobi.

I remember that one. That's another that got me addicted to this place. Lwyn'nya's stuff was incredible!

24. Jazz_Skywalker

Jazz_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    I absolutely love that story... the end is so heartbreaking!

25. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    *coughUPcough* ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.