main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Archive of Our Own Wins a Hugo

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by LAJ_FETT , Aug 20, 2019.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
  2. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    That's awesome for Archive of Our Own. I do have a lot of stories posted at Archive of Our Own (including my Star Wars stories). I think they are great at providing a place where people can post stories across many different genres and fandoms. It's a great general site for sharing fanfiction, though there is also something charming about communities like this that might be more geared to one particular fandom.

Kahara, divapilot, brodiew and 2 others like this.
  3. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Nice. Does that mean all members of AO3 are considered Hugo Award Winners? I don't care what the answer is, I'M A HUGO AWARD WINNER!!! WOOT!!

Kahara, Exeter, Mira_Jade and 9 others like this.
  4. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I'm going to add that to my resume. :p

5. TheRynJedi

TheRynJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 20, 2018
    Me too!

But, as a warning, there's already been some backlash from some professional authors getting mad at random fanfic writers posting/tweeting about being Hugo Award Winners.

To be completely specific, we have stories posted on a Hugo Award Winning website, we're not the Hugo award winners ourselves.

I know that, and you know that, and it's a joke on our part saying "I'm a Hugo winner!", But there are some really PO'd authors out there getting mad at AO3 writers right now.

Just an FYI.

I'm still excited, it's a well-deserved award for the work AO3's group does giving us a place to share our stories, and in the award ceremony they asked all the fanfic writers in the audience to stand and accept the award on behalf of the website.

6. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Oh, I'd definitely only post about being a Hugo award winner in a joking context on a thread like this. I'd never brag about it in any sort of serious way, so to be clear, I'd definitely never intend to imply that I was equal in accomplishment to an actual writer or Hugo winner. I just write fanfic for fun:)

Kahara, TheRynJedi and Findswoman like this.
  7. TheRynJedi

TheRynJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 20, 2018
    Yeah, me too.

Last night my husband found someone's ranting blog post about it, and it was kind of funny. We KNOW we're not Hugo winners, we're joking, but this author (who isn't even that big themselves, but had actually published something) had a work in the running that didn't win and they were all hurt about the jokes and were taking it way too seriously. You know, these "mere fanfic drabble writers thinking their trifles are as good as REAL AUTHORS' works"

Which, TBH, many ARE just as good, but certainly not all of the millions of stories on AO3.

8. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @TheRynJedi Sounds like that author had a bit of a case of hurt feelings mixed with misinterpreting Internet jokes. Personally, I think the quality of some fanfiction can be as good (and sometimes better) than what is seen in some published stories in terms of things like prose, characterization, plot (etc.). The main difference can sometimes just be the publishing process itself.

9. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Joking or not, congrats to everyone with material on that Hugo Award-winning website.

10. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Yeah, like I am going to run around saying I am a Hugo Award winner when I won't even admit to anybody in real life that I write fanfiction.

I don't need to be teased any more than I already am. I made the mistake of telling people I went to Celebration and people are still humming the Imperial March when I walk by. :rolleyes:

Kahara, TheRynJedi, Sith-I-5 and 4 others like this.
  11. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Real writers, as I heard a friend describe authors who are published (I don't like that term; even though we write fan fiction, we're real writers, too) shouldn't take things so seriously. Very proud to have my stories on a Hugo Award-winning site. :)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  12. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    As more than one person has writ before me, this is the closest I'll ever come to winning a Hugo Award.

But, as a warning, there's already been some backlash from some professional authors getting mad at random fanfic writers posting/tweeting about being Hugo Award Winners.

This is Pandora's Complete Lack of Surprise.

Actually, I suspect the backlash has much to do with the fact that many professional writers still don't feel--regardless of how many professionally published and paid books and stories they have in their bibliography--that they are real writers. (Imposter Syndrome. It's a bitch.) So while trying to prove to others, and through those others themselves, that they are professional writers, no they really really are, it's not surprising they feel a need to smack those upstart fanfiction writing amateurs down all the harder.

Last edited: May 19, 2022
  13. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Wow, look, it's my complete lack of surprise too (re: "real" writers having the vapors). :p Anyone who thinks that there's going to be an epidemic of fanfic writers genuinely passing themselves off as Hugo Award Winners is taking things just a bit Too Super Seriously. I think it's really fantastic that the AO3 website got an award. And it is kind of neat to interpret (misinterpret?) it as recognizing the whole of fanfic as something of value -- though of course mainly of the work that the website's creators and maintainers put into it. (After all, it seems like the best evidence of their achievement is that so many writers have found AO3 to be a great home for their works. There are a lot of empty would-be big archives out there.)

14. Christus Regnet

Christus Regnet Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2016
    That's awesome

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    devilinthedetails likes this.