main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are Athletes Paid Too Much?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by rhonderoo, Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    From MSNBC and Forbes.

Athletes get paid more than doctors, CEO's, even most World Leaders. Some would argue that the career span of a professional athlete is shorter and definitely can be more dangerous, but is it worth the salaries today? Has it cheapened sports and taken away the appeal of doing it because you love the game? The list below doesn't include the latest round of contracts, but is an example of what we pay these guys these days.

? Tiger Woods 30 $87 million
    ? Michael Schumacher 37 $60 million
    ? Oscar De La Hoya 33 $38 million
    ? Michael Vick 25 $37.5 million
    ? Shaquille O'Neal 34 $33.4 million
    ? Michael Jordan 43 $33 million
    ? David Beckham 30 $32.5 million
    ? Kobe Bryant 27 $28.8 million
    ? Lance Armstrong 34 $28 million
    ? Valentino Rossi 27 $28 million
    ? Alex Rodriguez 30 $27.5 million
    ? Phil Mickelson 35 $26.8 million
    ? Andre Agassi 35 $26.2 million
    ? Derek Jeter 31 $25.5 million
    ? Manny Ramirez 35 $24.2 million
    ? Jeff Gordon 34 $23.4 million
    ? Walter Jones 32 $23.2 million
    ? Ronaldo 29 $23 million
    ? LeBron James 21 $22.9 million
    ? Matt Hasselbeck 30 $22.8 million
    ? Maria Sharapova 18 $18.2 million
    ? Serena Williams 24 $12.7 million
    ? Annika Sorenstam 35 $7.3 million
    ? Venus Williams 25 $6.5 million
    ? Lindsay Davenport 29 $6 million

Source: Forbes.com
    March 2006

2. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    They put the asses in the seats. The owners don't get their money unless they have the athletes. So I think the athletes should get as much as can while they can get it.

3. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I was going to do this thread later.

In a nutshell yes but there caveats that state they should earn more than most.

I'll post more when baby is asleep and I've had tea.

4. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Anyone is worth what the paymasters are willing to stump up.

5. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I agree w/ Armenian and Everton. There's also this intangible feeling of necessity that athletes be paid so much, otherwise, you're not going to have broadcast sports.

6. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    Supply and Demand.

7. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i think they are payed too much. a lot of athletes are nice but i still think most of them are greedy for taking or asking for so much money when there are people in other professions that deserve to earn more since to a certain degree they do more to help others

8. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    For starters, I would take names like Tiger Woods off that list because its tournament winnings instead of salary money, which I think is two different things.

Anyways, I do think athletes are paid too much, but its not entirely their fault - they should try to get as much as they can, while they can.

And yes, as Roper said, Supply and Demand.

9. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Is that Chelsea's new striking partneship? [face_mischief]

10. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I can't speak for the others, but that figure doesn't begin to include the money he gets in in sponsorship, merchandise and endorsements. Beckham (at least in previous years) is the biggest paid sports star by far.

However, he makes far more in revenue for the club he plays for, and the products he advertises that his "pay" is perfectly entitled.

Bottomline is that I'm extremely capitalist, and if any player gets offered silly money for doing something they love then fair play to them.

As long as youth development doesn't suffer, then any player should be entitled to the money they are offered. (ie if Chelsea closed a youth centre to pay for the latest foreign purchase then I'm be saddened.

11. George_Roper

May 1, 2005
    Yes. [face_blush]

Unlimited Supply and Roman's Demand. Or something like that. :p

12. George_Roper

May 1, 2005
    Including Woods?

13. BarryBonds25

BarryBonds25 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2003
    Tiger Woods money DEFINITELY includes endorsements. There's no way he makes that much in one year by tournament winnings alone.

Phil Mickelson won the Masters this year and that's one of if not the most prestigious golf tournaments every year, and he only won $1.26 million in prize earnings for that tournament. So, there's no way Tiger makes $87 million on tournament winnings alone.

14. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Tiger's numbers are definitely either accumulated winnings or 1-year, including sponsorships.

By contrast, those for Alex Rodriguez is neither. He's 6 years (7?) into a 10-year, $252 million contract, not including endorsements. So either thats saying he gets virtually no endorsements, or its wrong somehow.

15. George_Roper

May 1, 2005
    Yeah, Woods makes the vast majority from endorsements and such. I'm asking if Beckham makes more. I don't think he does.

16. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    "Like I say, it's almost embarassing to talk about. I don't know if Michael Jordan or Bill Gates or Alexander the Great or anyone is worth this type of money, but that's the market we're in today. That's what Mr. Hicks decided to pay me, and now it's time to pay him back and win a couple championships." - Alex Rodriguez

A-Rod's salary in 2006 was $25,680,727, which means he made about $158,523 per game (including games that he didn't play in). Games usually last somewhere around 3 hours, so he probably made somewhere around $52,841 an hour. Overpaid? Yes.

17. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I'm thinking those numbers include endorsements and such, for some anyway. Tiger Woods endorses Nike, so I'd bet that's a lot of it. But if he makes $87 MM in winnings, man... Wow. More power to him, though. I wouldn't turn it down.

18. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I can see where it would be stupid on their part to turn down that money, but I don't think it's fair that they get offered so much. Yeah, there are injuries sometimes, but people who actually put their lives on the lines every day (cops, firefighters, people in the army) don't get paid nearly enough as they should.

19. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    It seems to be the theme of this thread, but athletes get paid what they're worth to their employers.

As much as they get paid, they generate that much revenue and more for the people footing the bills. I have no problem with how much money someone else makes.

The only downside from my perspective is that the constantly increasing popularity has pushed ticket prices out of the range of many long time fans and supporters. As a far I don't like it, but I also choose not to pay the exorbitant prices.

20. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    the only work baseball players do is during gametime?

21. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I'm thinking those numbers include endorsements and such, for some anyway. Tiger Woods endorses Nike, so I'd bet that's a lot of it. But if he makes $87 MM in winnings, man... Wow. More power to him, though. I wouldn't turn it down.

Yeah. I'm thinking that Woods' numbers include endorsements (as opposed to being career), whereas A-Rod's is strictly salary. Because I'd be pretty sure that A-Rod made some decent money in endorsements as well, if not as much as Tiger.

22. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999

The money is being generated by the television contracts, merchandising, ticket prices and dozens of other things. If you dropped all athletes down to earning no more than a million per year, the revenue would still be there. It would just go to the owners and the leagues rather than the athletes who actually generate the money.

I've never liked the rationale that people should be compensated based on how society decides to rate their importance. The market forces take care of this naturally and do it well.

23. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    Meh. If the athletes weren't making the big bucks, the owner would just be putting it in his pocket.

24. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    You mean like Steinbrenner and Davis do?

25. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    I think he meant the owners would be putting even more in their pockets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.