main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are PT fans favored over OT fans?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Garrett Atkins, May 25, 2013.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The PT is Star Wars, it's all Star Wars here outside the Other Lucasfilm Projects and the Community board.

But as far as not commenting on something you don't like...if everyone followed that rule, the boards would be a very boring place. Every thread would be along these lines:

"X is awesome."
    "It certainly is. Can I tell you how awesome X is?"
    "I'll tell you how awesome X is."
    "Yeah, I agree, it's awesome."

Not much discussion going on there, looks more like a pep rally without the pom-poms.

Nothing wrong with "I didn't like the PT, having Anakin as a 9-year-old boy with supernatural powers was stupid, Jar-Jar stepping in poop was annoying, etc."

"People who like the PT suck/have bad taste/are stupid/etc." is a different matter entirely.

2. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    Thats not what I meant at all.....I just can't see why people put negative comments on just for the sake of adding a negative comment.
    I don't like everything about the SWs universe and I don't expect anyone else to but then again I'm not a fan of narrow minded people who dislike things just for the sole purpose of disliking it. Discussing different aspects of the films is a main reason why I like coming to this site, in fact I've actually changed my mind on a few things after reading other peoples views.

Sorry if some people feel being positive is a pep-rally without the pom-poms but I'm not going to apologise for being a Star Wars Fan.

3. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    AF nailed it. I actually, contrary to opinion (of some), enjoy engaging in conversation with someone who has a different opinion. I like exploring why we do. I often learn things or why others don't feel the same way I do.

I will speak up when some posters consistently invade every thread and implies anyone who dares like the PT is mentally deficient, does not understand "storywriting rules," and is willfully ignoring the PT's faults and blindly "gushing" over trash. Unless slapped down by a mod, I will continue to point out that anyone who claims "objective fact" when it's opinion or states "everyone knows" is merely stating his/her own opinion, not objective fact.

And for those not in the know, I don't believe I am the "unnamed poster" sparking this thread.

Justing contributing my opinion.

4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm pretty sure nobody puts negative comments out there just for the hell of saying something negative, any more than someone would post "R2 is awesome" out there for the sake of saying something positive. We assume that people who post that R2 is awesome, actually believe that R2 is awesome, am I correct? Why, then, would we assume that someone who posts "C3PO is annoying as hell" is just trying to say something negative, as opposed to actually believing that C3PO is annoying as hell and might be looking for someone to commiserate with on that topic?

Robimus and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Some people simply like provoking negative reactions out of people. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

6. Darth Liberatus

Darth Liberatus Jedi Padawan star 1

May 13, 2013
    The Original Trilogy and Prequel Trilogy are both good. If you disagree, why are you on a Star Wars forum?

7. Aaronaman

Mar 12, 2013
    Simply posting a comment like "so-and-so is annoying as hell" is, in my book, a negative comment...where as "so-and-so is annoying as hell because....." is an opinion, two totally different things.

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I like both the PT and the OT too... but let's not go there, please.

9. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    If you're referring to the edit (and user) that I think you are, it had nothing to do with OT vs PT, or the particular user's behaviour that you're referring to. It was a personal swipe that had nothing to do with the topic at hand, and was not even in response to anything by this user in the thread (just while we're on the topic of not contributing anything to a thread).

I suspect that this is about more than just that, however. As far as the Saga forum is concerned, rest assured that there's no such PT (or OT) bias. None. If it appears that either side is copping a lot of edits and slapdowns at any time, that's because a certain group of users just happen to be playing up and feeding off each other. It happens with both OT & PT purists alike, although they tend to misbehave in rather different ways, some of which are perhaps moderated in more straightforward ways than others.

Regarding the behaviour that you claim is going unchecked, you'd have to cite specific instances, I'm not 100% sure what you're referring to (I'm not claiming that you're making it up, I just suspect it's occurring in forums I don't frequent as often as others).

I can't say this often enough - I've had to via PM a number of times - if anyone has an issue with another user's behaviour, PM the relevant forum moderator (please don't use the Report function unless it's a flagrant violation of the TOS).
    Don't resort to personal attacks, that could be exactly what another user might be trying to provoke, or they might need nothing more than a friendly reminder of what these forums are for.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  10. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Eh, saying Jar Jar, or C3PO, or the pod-racing sequence, or anything/anyone is annoying is - to me - an opinion - and not "baiting."

Saying "everyone agrees X, Y or Z is annoying" starts to annoy me. That implies those who disagree are, well, nobodies, since "everybody..."

Saying "everyone agrees X,Y or Z is annoying - except those minus any sense of storytelling, or any taste" is going to get me to leave the boards for a few weeks to cool down, to bite my tongue, or rebut with a, "that's your opinion and you're welcome to hold it, but it is an opinion and not a fact."

11. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    No, that's about right. 'Trolling' isn't as cut-and-dried as a blatant personal attack. Posting a reasonable response contrary to another is fine - posting the exact same 'reasonable' response dozens/hundreds of times in the same thread is something else altogether, as is relentless needling and baiting on the same point of contention, while flying under the radar when it comes to the JC Forum rules.

GGrievous likes this.
  12. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    I don't get the "PT fans" "OT fans" thing.

I am a Star Wars fan.

I am a 32 year old male who hence obviously didn't get to see the OT on the big screen, but am old enough that the OT was the first SW I saw, albeit on video. I liked it, and I liked the eu novels by the likes of Zahn etc. I played XvT on my first PC and liked it. And then the PT came along and I liked those as well.

Then starting in the late 2000s running into the early 2010s there was TCW and I liked that too.

I imagine I will like the ST unless they manage to do something legendarily dumb, to the point where even non-SW fans who don't watch sci-fi come to know of its reputation for sheer awful. Battlefield Earth awful. Mortal Kombat Annhialation awful. You know what I mean here.

13. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    All that's fine and nice, but... is EU canon?

[face_mischief]

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  15. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    I see a lot of PT fans trolling and saying people are wrong for liking the OT

Funny, I've never seen that, usually it's the other way around

the whole "opinion is not fact" can get annoying at times, the fact of the matter though it needs to be said (rarely) as there are those that spout stuff like "everyone knows Obi-Wan isn't popular" really? if everyone knew that then you don't need to post this obvious "fact", we'd already be enlightened by it. Let me give a personal example. I'm not at all a fan of Toy Story 3, I find it a sloppy unimaginitive rewrite of the second film, yet "everybody loves it, if you don't you're a huge troll".

so if someone says "that's your opinion" you've 2 choices

1. ignore them

2. reply with "no **** it's my opinion Sherlock"*

but it certainly isn't trolling and no need to be edited over

*the mods probably don't endorse or recommend option 2 :p

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I've used "that's your opinion" and had people respond with "I never said otherwise". I respected that.

17. Aaronaman

Mar 12, 2013
    Does arguing about OT vs PT make us a bit OCD? :)

18. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    After much consideration, I have come up with a solution:

Disallowed: PT fans trolling and saying people are wrong for liking the OT. This is to be considered attacking the other "side" and such posts are to be edited.

Allowed: OT fans are free to express their opinion that the PT sucks, that everyone knows that, and that PT fans are nothing but tasteless gushers. This sentiment is also allowed in any and all threads at any time regardless of the thread's subject.

[face_peace]

But seriously, the solution is for all of us not to insult the intelligence or taste of other posters, and rather than any of us taking up defensive positions - engage in an actual discussion. That includes actually listening to and considering the "other side" before offering a rebuttal.

Oh, who am I kidding - this is the internet.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  19. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Personally, I favor Big Lebowski image macros.

[​IMG]

20. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    I favour Ricky Gervais image macros in response to Lebowski image macros:

[​IMG]

:D

21. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I know who you're talking about, since I've seen you two go at it many times. And I feel bad for him because he/she is actually a very civil commentator. And I've seen you purposefully bait him many times. Often completely out of the blue. Had you been talking about me (who frankly does get annoyed sometimes, and resort to some flaming that gets mod edits), you would have had more ground to stand on. As it is, not so much. The mods are (in 99% of cases) extremely fair and balanced.

22. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Even if it is a negative comment, there is no reason that it is unacceptable or trolling. Now I can see how someone repeating that same negative 15 times would make it trolling and annoying.

Just keep in mind that there are numerous users here that are interested in breaking down what they like and what they don't like about everything. I don't think someone saying " I HATE PUGGLES TRODD!!!!!" is in anyway required to explain themselves anymore than someone who says "I LOVE GARTOGG!!!!!!!!"

But then everyone loves Gartogg so that of course is an urealistic hypothetical scenario.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    If "everyone" loved him/her/it then I would know who/what/where him/her/it is.

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Waru disapproves of this thread.

25. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    Some people are, for lack of a better term, professional trolls...they are not a particular fan of any franchise, but they enjoy getting people all riled up, so they go to various fandoms' message boards and start flamewars. If a certain franchise is currently on the cultural fecal roster (meaning it's perceived as "uncool"), all the better.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Darth Dnej like this.