main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are PT fans favored over OT fans?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Garrett Atkins, May 25, 2013.

1. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I do not think PT fans are favored on this board. I just think this board has a lot of prequel fans.

2. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    Considering alot of people are becoming SW in the PT era there might Be a little favortism towards them

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Regardless of any reasoning, favoritism towards people with positive opinions isn't cool.

And as I think I mentioned, I like the PT. But I would be bored as hell if everyone agreed with me; there wouldn't be anything to discuss on this discussion board.

Darth Dnej and Robimus like this.
  4. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    I have no opinion either way. I like both the PT and the OT equally and respect anybody who goes against me

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    The PT fans are beginning to call some of the OT fans on their hypocrisy and such is (apparently) being interpreted as attacks without merit by some of those OT fans, who feel their right to express their opinion is being curtailed by mod edits.

The true issue - in my opinion - is the years of (some) OT-purists putting down PT fans and the fact that a lot of us PT fans are tired of lying down and taking the "baiting" which gives the impression that the accusations are all true. Of course the PT is flawed. Some may think it drivel, crap, or bad storytelling (which is fine; it's AN opinion) but this obsessive need to invade practically every thread to proclaim this "universal truth" is maddening and if some of us don't speak up and counter some of those accusations we are complicit in spreading the message that "everyone hates the PT."

I did see the OT first - in theaters. I should have a sentimental attachment to it and I do. I like the OT. I probably fast-forward through less sections of the 3 than I do the PT (mainly TPM, which admittedly I hated thoroughly upon first viewing).

But TPM =/= the PT and ROTS is the best of the Saga. Again, IMHO.

There is plenty of things I would revise in the movies had I chance to influence GL when he made the six movies, but that doesn't make those things "flaws" but more my preferences - more character development, a bit more thought in the implications of using a clones because the viewers don't see these as space opera movies but drama...

Is it really too much to ask that we all actually listen to what the other posters have to say before firing off a knee jerk reaction post? Apparently so, because an awful lot of us do just that - we've been having the same circular back-and-forth for years now and no one is "winning."

Darkslayer likes this.
  6. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Well, whatever might be going on here in PT vs OT section, from what I gather it's nothing compared to the Tolkien forums, for example.
    You get crucified for mentioning Peter Jackson's changes to the books, Tom Bombadil gets you a year in The Hole and saying you like Azog in The Hobbit will basically see you become a plaything of the Chaos God of Decadence, Slaanesh.*

*Which is, apprently, the only cross-universe they accept, as an extreme punishment is required for this offence.

So I guess we're good, all things considered.

Darkslayer likes this.
  7. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    <shudders> Probably a good thing I'm not on those other boards - if WE'RE relatively civilized here...

Darkslayer and The Hellhammer like this.
  8. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012

We'll find out over the next few years...

9. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    We already know that they aren't following the EU format for the post ROTJ years, they've already said as much. Lucas never really saw that stuff as part of his story.

10. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I was totally not being serious by the way, just a bit of harmless bait out there ;)

11. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I know :D

The Hellhammer likes this.
  12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I enjoy both and accept the flaws (except for ROTJ which I really dislike). I think the whole OT vs. PT debate has gone on far too long.

13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes it has...

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Darth Dnej like this.
  14. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    OT Vs PT (and soon to be ST) will be a debate that rages on for as long as people care about the movies.

That debate will only come to an end when a day comes that nobody cares about these old movies anymore.

15. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I read this topic as "Are PT fans flavored over OT fans". To which I responded in my head with, "Da frak does that mean?"

Also, to seriously answer the question, I guess it depends on the flavor.

Darkslayer and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  16. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    BBQ vs cool ranch

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Pizza vs pasta

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Darth Dnej like this.
  18. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    People you're making me hungry...=P~

...and what's a pizza without topics (toppings)...get it...I'm sorry...:oops:

19. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Now that is a topic that can get hot. The EU isn't part of Star Wars....Lucas never saw it as part of his story. I bet Lucas gladly took the money from EU book/video game sales. [face_thinking]

What I love is when people write. "The EU sucks! That's why I have never read any of the books!" o_O

But getting back on topic. I am a OT fan but I have to admit I have seen much more PT bashing than OT bashing.

20. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2013
    Have to agree with Jedi_Lover above, what disagreements I have seen normally revolves toward the PT, not the OT. But compared to other forums, I have noticed the bashing to be kept at a minimum. Always figured it was because this was a SW forum and fans can appreciate the opinions of either trilogy [face_thinking]

21. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    The EU sucks! That's why I have never read any of the books!"
    -----------

to be fair, people can look on the wook and decide for themselves whether or not they would enjoy something,

"Mara tries to kill Luke most of the time, but he doesn't care she's hawwwttt and marries her anyway"

or

"3PO puts on a cape a saves the day in such and such"

might not appeal to some people, sure it might be written well, with flowery (or not) language, but if the story itself sucks, it's not going to get people reading it in the first place

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  22. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    This is just natural when you have a movie series with 2 totally different trilogies with mostly different characters, filmed at decades apart, with different technology. You think about it, the only that the trilogies have in common is they were both written by Lucas. It's natural that some fans will prefer Han, Luke and Leia while other fans will prefer Obiwan, Padme and Anakin. Its natural that some fans will prefer real locations and old style effects to CGI effects and CGI landscapes. It is just natual that some fans will enjoy the more uplifting OT story compared to the more tragic PT story. You see these arguments now with who is better Michael Jordan or Lebron James? Joe Montana or Tom Brady? When you try to compare something from different era's, you will never have total agreement among fans.

23. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Carbon1985: hear hear.

Unfortunately, it seems that "both sides" can't co-exist. Instead of conceding "we don't like a part of Star Wars although it is part of Star Wars," some attempt to annihilate the "opposition." It seems as if co-existance is bad and must be exterminated to perpetuate "Truth, Justice and the only Star Wars 'everyone' likes."

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    [​IMG]
    "Only Star Wars fans deal in absolutes".

25. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    And to think we will have another trilogy in the next 7 years with a whole new generation of fans! [face_laugh]

You will have ST fans fighting with OT fans, OT fans fighting with PT fans, ST Fans fighting with PT fans, OOT fans fighting with OT/SE fans, ST fans fighting with PT fans....8-}