main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Are Star Wars sequels always considered to be inferior ?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by dg1995, Jan 11, 2019.

1. AshiusX

AshiusX Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 7, 2016
    I feel like with the ST and its defenders are out in full force right now. If anything, this could be the height of the popularity of the films. With endless critics praising it and hundreds of articles from journalists defending the films. Dozens of video essays defending it as well. All of which which the PT never really had or least not to this degree. Yet with all of those advantages, the backlash has barely been stemmed.

ST will always be considered sub par to the OT I figure. If it will be considered weaker the PT, it is up for grabs.

If you value snappy dialogue, ''likeable characters'' in the conventional sense and generally good acting more, you'll probably be in favor of the ST.

If you value grandiose storytelling, and wordbuilding more, you'll be in favor in the PT.

Count Yubnub, DrDre and Prime Jedi like this.
  2. Prime Jedi

Prime Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Apr 14, 2018
    The defenders became the attackers. :p

3. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    I really dont like to rank the SW movies because for me every movie has ist unique Content to adore and woreship. Thats one of the things thats making SW movies so great for me. SOLO and RO are so different from the Saga movies and the Saga movies by their own are very different on their own especialliy the ones belonging to one trilogy.

The only movie had some Problems with at the beginning is TFA. It felt in many ways like a rehash of IV to VI. The biggest Problem for me though was the markteing which celebrated the practical effects so much I couldnt stand it anymore. Especially the sentence "We are in a real dessert" felt so awefull to me because it felt like they stabbed Lucas from behind. We all know that Ep I und II had many many on Location shoots and that while Shooting Ep I in 1997 a dessert storm destroyed the Mos Espa sets and Pod Racer models. So this Marketing way for me was what made me really had my Problems with TFA.

I never ever though had one bit of Problem with TLJ. I consider this the real Sequel of the Lucas saga because TLJ has many stuff Lucas would have done in one way or another.

For me in fact its suprising that TFA was generally loved by the fans and TLJ is hated so much. I really appreciate TFA now for what it is but TLJ really felt like Lucas SW to me again (RO and SOLO does too).

4. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I think it's fair to say that every Star Wars film after the first two will be contested with them. I think that's fine because they really are the best movies, even if I enjoy the ST the most so far. ANH and ESB had the element of surprise and are known for being two of the most groundbreaking and innovative movies of their time. Technically, every other movie is inferior, but not necessarily in a bad way. ROTJ has the unfortunate task of wrapping up the original saga and it doesn't have those elements that the previous two had.

On the other hand, the Prequels and The Sequels are at the end of the day just not the Originals. They do not have the luxury of not being compared to the Original Trilogy because they solely exist to provide more context to that first story. It should also be said that there are a lot of people who feel that Star Wars should have just been one movie, so to some, every other movie is inferior and ANH is ultimately the sacred cow.

Oissan and Sarge like this.
  5. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    I don’t necesarrily think all Star Wars films are automatically considered inferior to the original. Sure, the original one set the stage so in one sense, it can’t be beat, however, TESB is generally seen as a better film and I do think it is possible to create a movie that’s even better, but it would have to practically be a flawless film. The main issue for me is that most of the Star Wars sequels have had characters, plot points or effects that have not been executed well. There is always something like this to blame. The original was so amazing for it’s time in just about every way, but show me a new Star Wars film that’s original, respects the originals well, has great story with great acting and it just might top TESB. Seems doubtful I know, but time will tell.