main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are the Jedi Council Forums a place for fans and praise only?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by CT-867-5309, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I didn't know nitpicking was against the TOS, under the guise of unintentional humor or not. I didn't know negative tones were against the TOS.

Apparently I'm not supposed to mini-mod, but despite being told otherwise, despite it being in the RULES OF THE JC, I'm not supposed to use the report button, either. When other people use the report button for insults (and there was at least one insult in the thread) a mod comes to the rescue, edits the comment and possibly bans the person who made the insult. But insulting a person who makes a negative comment? No edit. People go into a thread specifically created to have a laugh at the PT's unintentional humor, tell them to leave the boards, and no edit. Two people derailing the thread were not edited or warned, but the entire thread was locked for the rest of us who were enjoying it.

SSS, your stance on the matter is clear, thank you.

2. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Everyone is different and people react differently than others. In essence, that's what usually starts bash/gush wars imo. If someone says "we include the PT in our bad movie night" in a thread, that would provoke fans of the PT, causing them to defend the trilogy and take action against the thread. Likewise, if a "PT is the greatest trilogy ever" thread began, I'm sure the bashers of the PT wouldn't like it.

There should be a happy medium in there somewhere.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes, but we are all responsible for our own reactions. The choice to take someone else's opinion of a film or a character personally, is just that...a choice. Not something the moderators should feel obligated to step into.

And as I mentioned earlier, this is coming from someone who used to take negative posts about Anakin Skywalker personally. That was my own issue, not a reason for the moderators to step in.

4. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    It usually gets out of hand. I'm constantly reminded of the TV forum...

5. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    How soon before this thread gets out of hand? ;)

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Well, we're being civilized and not bashing others, right? ;)

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Part of the issue with the TV forum is posters complaining when someone expresses an opinion they don't like.

8. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Exactly. See my post regarding the two extremes as well.

9. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    Yes indeed. Now, if we could only bottle and distribute civility...

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I read it, but when moderating for "extremes," one can cross the line into moderating for opinions. The definition of "extreme" varies.

Wouldn't it be better only to moderate for personal attacks and leave opinions alone, even "extreme" ones?

Going into, say, the Obi-Wan Kenobi fan club in SWC (using this an example of one that is active) and posting that Obi-Wan sucks, he deserved to be executed for letting Anakin burn alive, he's a lying ******* for telling Luke that his father was dead...that would be trolling, because it's in the fan club. Elsewhere on the site, though, such an opinion should be fair game, even if it "provokes" Obi-Wan fans.

TreborSabreon, V-2 and Katya Jade like this.
  11. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    You're setting up a false comparison.

The unintentional humor thread was specifically created for that purpose, to have a go at the unintentional humor in the PT. "Good things only" threads have long been around and upheld, the understanding is you don't go in there to say negative things, GOOD THINGS ONLY. It's in the title. These threads have been accepted and enforced by mods, there's a million of them. If some "basher" goes in there to bash, he is edited, warned and then banned.

There's a million of these threads. Optimistic threads, the Anakin fan thread, the Obi-Wan appreciation thread, THE ENTIRE EUC (not that I have anything against the EUC). If you go in these threads and make negative posts, which goes against the accepted etiquette of the thread, you're gonna get modded.

Why do those get to exist and be supported by mods, but a little unintentional comedy does not?

But really, I'd rather move past this particular thread, it's one example out of years worth of examples.

12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Why would someone who clearly doesn't like the movies (as he mentioned many times, including at the very start of that thread and on his own signature) spend so much of his time on a fan forum about them? It's this hypocritical attitude that creates flame wars, not the fact that he doesn't like them (he's free to not like them, and doesn't make him any more right or wrong than those who do). And what does he hope to accomplish with such attitude? I've seen the results many times...

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Wow. It even infiltrates this thread. Unbelievable.

Oh, wait...no, it isn't unbelievable.

I don't know the guy so I have no idea why he posts here, but it's neither my business nor yours unless he's violating the TOS.

And is your post not suggesting that he and those who share his opinions leave so that only people with "positive" opinions remain? If not, then what exactly is the purpose of such a question?

14. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005

CT-867-5309 It's not an actual comparison nor is it something about moderating (as what Anakinfan said). It's my overall view of this. People in these two extremes that cannot get along/compromise.

15. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Stances, huh?

Threads don't need to be warned, posters are expected to conduct themselves accordingly and when the thread went completely sideways, I chose to lock it. I don't believe this topic was created because of that THREAD, I think you started this because you didn't like how the REPORTS from that thread were handled. [face_thinking]

GGrievous likes this.
  16. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    The person you reference may not like the PT, but he clearly likes Star Wars. The PT forum isn't the only place he frequents.

I'll answer this as if it were directed at me.

Why I am here?

I like discussing Star Wars, even the aspects I don't like. Is it really unusual to spend a lot of time discussing something you don't like? Even enjoying it? Nope.

I like getting my opinions out there and having people bounce them back with their thoughts. I learn things about my opinions, about myself. I even change opinions, and I think I've changed myself a bit, too. I like getting other people's opinions on them, good, bad or whatever. I love learning things, about Star Wars, and other people. I like to learn what is good about something, it helps me understand and recognize similar good things in the future. I like to learn what is bad about something, it helps me understand and recognize similar bad things in the future. Together, these things help me become more perceptive. It's not enough to know something is good or bad, I want to know why. I want as many perspectives as possible, almost all info is good info. Even if someone drops by and goes "this sucks", that has value to me. It lets me know what that person thinks, allows me to better judge their tastes and compare it to their comments in the future. All info is inherently useful, every piece of info adds up, I collect it all and make use of it. To an extent of course, if a person literally says the same thing over and over, it becomes spamming and loses its value.

I appreciate passion, positive or negative, even if it is a bit overboard. That is what fanatics do, no? Come on, some of the rants on here are amazing! Someone like Havac or Rogue1.5 can break something down and analyze it for you in an educational and entertaining fashion.

Some of these people who are labeled "hater" or "negative", are such valuable members of the community to me, they have so much to offer. Unfortunately, some of these people are being driven off by others who insist on harassing them for their opinions.

I'm also here to have a laugh. There are some wacky characters here who say hilarious things. I've been known to amuse others, from time to time, and I'm always glad to provide a laugh.

What do I hope to accomplish? To learn, which I have, a lot. To have fun, which I have had, a lot, except when people are telling me to leave.

So, is that good enough for me to be here? Why do I have to explain myself to you for you to stop harassing me? Why does anyone?

I know this sounds like Derek Zoolander's Center For People Who Can't Read Good, but that's because I can't read good, and wanna learn to do other stuff good, too, because there's more to life than just the positive side of things.

17. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    don't usually get involved in comms issues,

I find it to be a complete waste of time and energy

if administration disagrees a big fat padlock is seen before you can say Bob's your uncle

anyway: I agree with the OP whole heartedly,

To me there is was no reason to lock the thread in the PT of unintentional humour

are we really that anal we can't make fun of the films we enjoy?

18. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    There's nothing wrong with liking Star Wars and disliking aspects of the franchise. I love the OT and think the PT sucks. I've read some books, played the video games and don't mind EU. I should be able to say "Ugh the writing in the Prequels was horrid" without someone jumping down my throat about leaving the boards. As a whole, we should allow those opinions as long as they aren't flagrant trolling or baiting - as anakinfansince1983 pointed out in the example above. This has never been a harbor for 'positive only' posts but, at the same time, I see a lot of negativity here that really isn't necessary or healthy for the boards.

To address what prompted this thread, it was SSS's decision to lock a thread that with only three pages already had multiple reports. If a thread has to be constantly moderated then a mod sometimes has to make the call as to whether the thread is really serving a useful purpose.

FYI - I did delete the multiple posts by anakinfansince1983 - just to clean it up. Although it was amusing to read. :p

Random Comments likes this.
  19. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Yes, yes and yes. Good post CT.

So the easiest approach is to simply edit/delete/lock anything negative right?

For instance in the TV forum, months ago when I still cared to go there, there was an "Optimistic Aprreciation" thread created that respectfully asked that posters maintained a positive tone. It was generally very well respected by all members of the community. On the flip side a Pessimismtic thread also eventually got created, and was just as quickly derailed by people who didn't like the critcism, and locked, and then unlocked, and then locked again as the forum staff struggled to deal with the obvious double standards they were trying to enforce.

Exactly. If I'm posting that I don't like Ahsoka Tano for whatever reason that is not a personal attack against another user.
    Exactly.

Frankly even this line is becoming blurred. Recently we had a Saga Mod move an anti-EU topic to the EUC, one in which the origianl poster points out that the EU is not canon. When I PM'd the Mod who made that move, guess what, I got zero response from him/her. I felt it was very disrespectful of this staff member to simply ignore my PM as if I was not important enough to talk with

This is often the case in terms of staff communication with the userbase here. I send PM's, certain members of the staff ignore them. I report posts and never hear a response back.

It is so sweet that your working so hard to get your Mod powers here. Have you bought the staff cookies yet? :p

Yep.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Katya Jade: Thanks for doing that, and I'm glad my accidental spamfest added some humor to the thread. :p

On the post: How does one define what is considered "negativity" and how much of it is "healthy"? I know a lot of moderating decisions have to be subjective and I can't blame a moderator for not wanting to sit on a thread; you all are volunteers and have lives. I also don't know exactly what got reported; it just seems that the thread was fine until a few PT fans came in and stated in no uncertain terms that they didn't appreciate the humor. It just seems that if they had kept to threads that they did enjoy and left that one alone, SSS would not have had to step in at all. To use a school analogy, it's like taking recess from an entire class because one or two kids misbehaved--and blaming other people in the class for "provoking" the misbehavior.

CT-867-5309 and Robimus like this.
  21. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    can I ask the administration a simple question?

whatever happened to "nobody is forcing you to read a thread" ?

simple, if you're that offended by a thread that is making fun of a movie you enjoy and you don't share that sentiment of joining in then fine that is your right and choice to make but you don't have to read it, why read something that offends me?

Anakinfan made a great point (and many great points in this thread too) in the for-mentioned thread

is this a disscussion forum, a one big happy fanclub?

that is the question really being asked here I think

22. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Whatever the reason there is clearly issues on this forum with where lines are drawn, what and who requires moderation and bans, and frankly how communication with the userbase is handled.

One can either try to look at the issues in a serious way, or they can stick their head in the sand and pretend that nothing is wrong.

23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    What does?

No. I don't have any problems with people with people discussing what they don't like. I've done it many times. But that's missing the point.

The purpose is to know what they hope to achieve by going to a forum just to say how much they hate its subject. Nobody is saying that he should like it, but if he's no fan, why come to a fan forum in the first place?

But we are talking about the PT forum, are we not?

Unfortunately it's not unusual.

Where have I harassed you in the first place?

24. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    The purpose is to know what they hope to achieve by going to a forum just to say how much they hate its subject.:
    -----------------------------------

I know this wasn't directed at me but:

to state an opinion, like we all do and I welcome any opinion on art or film

CT answered it with one of the best posts I've ever seen on the boards, and if my ocd wouldn't prevent me from liking the post I would have done:

I like getting my opinions out there and having people bounce them back with their thoughts. I learn things about my opinions, about myself. I even change opinions, and I think I've changed myself a bit, too. I like getting other people's opinions on them, good, bad or whatever. I love learning things, about Star Wars, and other people. I like to learn what is good about something, it helps me understand and recognize similar good things in the future. I like to learn what is bad about something, it helps me understand and recognize similar bad things in the future. Together, these things help me become more perceptive. It's not enough to know something is good or bad, I want to know why. I want as many perspectives as possible, almost all info is good info. Even if someone drops by and goes "this sucks", that has value to me. It lets me know what that person thinks, allows me to better judge their tastes and compare it to their comments in the future. All info is inherently useful, every piece of info adds up, I collect it all and make use of it. To an extent of course, if a person literally says the same thing over and over, it becomes spamming and loses its value.

25. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    Maybe Alexrd has a point - maybe where the more cynical threads end up has something to do with it. Perhaps there should be a subforum just for criticism/nitpick/cynical humor? A "neutral zone" perhaps?

I donno. Spitballing. I love this place and I'd like to be able to nitpick and gush.

Gnome saying?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.