main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are the Jedi Council Forums a place for fans and praise only?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by CT-867-5309, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    Son of a Bith:

or maybe we can take a leaf out of Qui-Gon's book

[​IMG]

we should "learn to tolerate (others) opinions, fighting won't change it"

why was that scene deleted :(

Son of a Bith likes this.
  2. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    My sig answers the question posed by this thread, it wasn't written by a gusher.
    Unless one considers puff the magick to be high praise for evil mother Theresa from the gffa.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The same old nosy bull**** question about "why are you here?"

Films not fans, people? It seems that discussing whether or not another user has the right to post, constitutes discussing the fans--which has been against the rules in the movie forum for as long as I can remember.

I don't see how. Your complaint was that KilroyMcFadden was discussing something he didn't like.

He achieves discussing the PT, including its negative aspects.

I don't recall any rule indicating that one must love every aspect of the PT to post there, and I certainly hope that no such rule is made, as I find choir practice really boring.

Why is that unfortunate?

Asking someone why they are posting, simply because you dislike their opinions and prefer to only read opinions that you do like, could be considered harassment.

4. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    I agree 100% on all counts.

5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, my complaint was about the attitude of making clear that they hate, in this case the PT, so much that their participation revolves around that. No fan, why come to a fan board? Again, I see it as hypocritical.

Neither do I. No need to use a strawman.

Because I don't come to a forum to read rants of people who don't like it's main subject (in this case, the PT).

But that's not the case, therefore there was no harassment on my part. Once again, here's what I wrote:

Samnz likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    So don't read their rants. That's what the "ignore" button is for. People are going to express opinions that you don't like or don't agree with. That doesn't make them hypocrites.

I come to forums for discussion, not gush fests. I'm not sure why people are supposed to censor their posts based on what you may or may not like, as long as they aren't flaming you personally.

As far as your last point, if it's OK with you that people dislike aspects of the PT, how are they supposed to express as much in the PT forum without being labelled a hypocrite?

TreborSabreon and kubricklynch like this.
  7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    But it's not that that makes them hyopcrites. Once again:

"[it's] the attitude of making clear that they hate, in this case the PT, so much that their participation revolves around that"

I don't come here for gush fests either, I come here to discuss with fans. But they are not fans to begin with, and they make that very clear.

Samnz likes this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    KilroyMcFadden certainly is a Star Wars fan or he would not have registered on this board.

As I said, I don't even agree with many of his posts, and AOTC and TPM are my favorite Star Wars films after ROTJ. But the attitude that "I don't like to read this therefore it shouldn't be posted" seems like an effort to create a "positive opinions only" board or as I call it, choir practice.

You avoided my last question: how is a person supposed to express a negative opinion of the PT in the PT forum without being labelled a hypocrite or "not a fan"?

And this is why some clarification from the Mod Squad is needed here:

1. Are negative opinions allowed or not? Katya Jade answered that one with a yes.

2. If negative opinions are allowed, then are users allowed to tell other users that they need to GTFO out of a forum because they "aren't real fans" or don't fit some arbitrary definition of a "fan"? If so, why? And how are such posts not a violation of the "films not fans" rule?

kubricklynch likes this.
  9. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    KilroyMcFadden is a good example. Intelligent fan who has major problems with the PT (forgive me for speaking for you Kilroy - if I'm wrong please correct me).

There may be trolls on this board, but not everyone who has problems with the PT is a troll.

Let's rise above the typical internet B.S.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I'm talking about the PT board.

I haven't seen such attitude on this thread. At least not on my part, as I've explained many times before.

If someone says they hate them or make them an example of something wrong, or consider them the worse thing in the world, then they clearly are not fans [of the PT]. If they say all that, and at the same time keep watching them, then they are being hypocrites. How to avoid such labels? By avoiding such behaviour.

11. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    has it not occurred to you though that these people that do say negative things about the PT is because they are actually Passionate about Star Wars,

lets say you have a vase that you love, and it got a crack, it's natural to want to talk about how bad the crack has made that vase. Some people view the PT as that crack and just want to let their opinions known to fans,

and has been said, you don't like it?

1. don't read a title that has a negative (to you) title

2. as has been suggested, ignore the user that you find offensive,

Not one person has spoilt my enjoyment of AOTC, and many are negative about it. If others spoil your enjoyment of a movie then were you (not you particularly) that assured of it's greatness in the first place?

12. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    So long as there's no personal attacks, I don't see any problem. Though I have found that more thoughtful arguments are less prone to starting fights than simply stating "____ sux." To the OP's credit, he could have just said "mods suck," but actually took time to explain himself, which is why this thread didn't end badly like others.

Circular_Logic and Son of a Bith like this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    So to clarify again, since earlier you said you had no issue with negative opinions:

It is your wish that people not post on the PT board if they have a negative opinion of the PT.

If that is the case, it does seem as if you are trying to run people off if they dislike what you like, simply because you don't want to read their posts. And that seems precisely the unwelcoming behavior that was cited earlier in the thread as something that wouldn't be tolerated here.

What did I miss?

14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    They may be passionate about everything Star Wars, except the PT. And what's being discussed is the way they participate in the PT board.

Using your analogy, the PT is a completely new vase from the same Star Wars vase set, which can be bought separately. What could be called a crack are the SE changes to the OT vase, for example (and I actually like most of them).

They may want to let their opinion be known to others, but that can be done without generalizations, flaming, baiting, hypocrisy, and passing their opinion as fact.

It's my wish that fans (being a fan doesn't mean liking everything from a certain subject, but implies liking the subject itself in the first place) register and/or participate on fan boards.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    KilroyMcFadden did none of the above in the thread in question, and if he had flamed or baited, he would have been in violation of the TOS. There were no attacks on fans in his posts, however, there were some attacks on fans from the folks who came into the thread and demanded that people not joke about unintentional humor in the PT.

I'm the first to call people on passing off an opinion as fact but it didn't happen here either, and while I find it annoying as hell, it's not something that a moderator needs to step in for.

"Hypocrisy" does not constitute a TOS violation.

I'm really not sure why the moderators should be responsible for enforcing the exclusion of people who do not fit a specific definition of a "fan" or why such people should be targets for GTFO posts.

Darth_Zandalor likes this.
  16. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    Using your analogy, the PT is a completely new vase from the same Star Wars vase set, which can be bought separately. What could be called a crack are the SE changes to the OT vase, for example (and I actually like most of them).

--------------

not entirely true though, the films are meant to be one huge long film seperated into six movies, a SAGA.

IF you don't like my analogy try this one:

you buy a set of twin identical vases designed to complement your mantlepiece, one is chipped the other isn't, you're gonna be hacked off. It's just simple truth.

17. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    I think the term "discussion forum/board" might be a bit misleading if there is no room for people with opinions other than "I absolutely love everything".

It's either letting people discuss both negative and positive aspects of the movie, or opening a new board called "Prequel Triology For People Who Aren't Fans".

18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Kilroy is merely an example of those who hate the PT so much that keep watching them. To me, that's hypocrisy.

Not here, on that thread, but on the PT board.

Neither have I said otherwise. It's not my forum to begin with, I'm just expressing my opinion on the matter.

I'm not saying they should be responsible for anything. I'm saying the continuously cynical or direct bashing by non-fans is tiresome. And I certainly won't contest if such threads are locked.

I agree. But that's a strawman, nobody is claiming that.

The trilogies can be bought on separately and this forum has a board for each, saga or not.

SlashMan likes this.
  19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Two things:

1) I've seen an equal number of jackass gushers and haters on this board.

2) From the stance of an ex-mod, this is an old board and most arguments don't stem from the discussion at hand. They start because two (or more) people who got slightly pissed off at each other in the past for whatever silly asinine reason decided to maintain the grudge and jump to opposite extremes in every subsequent conversation that arises. These conversations usually entail someone take a positive or negative view. Next thing you know people are spamming up the report function tattling on one another because they can't win an argument on teh internetz.

20. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    ) From the stance of an ex-mod, this is an old board and most arguments don't stem from the discussion at hand. They start because two (or more) people who got slightly pissed off at each other in the past for whatever silly asinine reason decided to maintain the grudge and jump to opposite extremes in every subsequent conversation that arises. These conversations usually entail someone take a positive or negative view. Next thing you know people are spamming up the report function tattling on one another because they can't win an argument on teh internetz.

-------

in regards to the locked thread that didn't happen.

And if it did it was because of de-railment of "why are you people here?" posts

which the people involved weren't even given a friendly mod reminder that de-railment of threads is frowned upon..

21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    The topic was fine. But the lines were drawn.

22. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    it seems to me (the issue with why the thread was locked) is because the opening post contained a line "bad movie night", so the guy thinks it's a bad movie? *shrugs* so what? is saying any Star Wars movie a bad movie against TOS? not to my knowledge,

this was responded to with a snarky "I pity you"

in context which one of these is a films not fans broken rule?

"films not fans" I believe -correct me if I'm humbly mistaken- means disscuss the films to your hearts content anyway you please, just don't bring the fans themselves into it.

Other people in that that thread didn't seem to mind the tone of the thread (many posted that are known PT fans) without any fuss, people were laughing and having a break from the serious threads that require (imo) over analysis to make your points. Which are fine btw don't get me wrong, but lighter threads are a welcome too, or should I just keep reading pages and pages whether midichlorians are bacteria or not?

anyway I don't want to harp on and on about the thread being locked, it's a dead issue, and going on about it will only get this one locked too.

There is a deeper issue on whether the forums I frequent are too have a "postive only attitude or your thread is locked" or are they not?

23. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I agree with that, but if all opinions are respected, why is Alexrd's comment considered "snarky" in comparison to KilroyMcFadden's? Aren't they still both expressing opinions?

24. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    one is about a film

the other about a person who posts here

(not saying it's ban worthy), but from where it stands if you're going to lock a thread because the opening post was written obscurely (depending on opinion) at least show you're not biased with people that bait at best and de-rail the thread.

Note: my post wasn't aimed at a particular poster,

just thought that I'd mention the films not Fan rule and back it up with an example.

NOTE number 2: That said I really like Sith Star Slayer and find him a very approachable mod, so I have no issues with him personally, just wanted that to be known (or with anyone here actually)

25. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    People should be able to voice their opinions

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.