main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are the Jedi Council Forums a place for fans and praise only?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by CT-867-5309, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Is there? I haven't seen such dispute. A fan is someone who likes/supports the overall product, even if they don't necessarily like a few of its parts. Is this being debated?

2. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    If you take it personal and allow yourself to be provoked by someone saying that a character in a movie isn't very well lip synced then you should reconsider visiting the forum/board/thread

3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    That's not a personal comment, though... that's saying the movie was bad. people coming back and saying, "what's wrong with you... why are you even here... you're crazy, etc" are making personal comments.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Um, no. How was "bad movie night" an attack on other users in the thread or PT fans in general? It was an attack on the PT itself. I like the PT and I didn't take it personally. I don't think either KilroyMcFadden or the moderators are responsible if someone else chooses to do so.

Again, apparently, because you are wanting to label certain posters as "not fans" and then indicate that they have no business posting on a particular forum. Why is it up to you to decide who is and is not a fan?

5. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    You're impacting others' opinions by blatantly stating "we include the PT in our bad movie night." It should've been worded differently to avoid derailing posts.

6. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    It was also provoking fans of the PT.

"I like the PT and I didn't take it personally."
    And again, everyone is different.

7. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    GGreivous:

I echo what Anakinfan, Zapdos and Harpuah has said, if people are provoked by others opinions...what are we all doing here on a message board?

(since you quoted me I thought it polite to respond so not to ignore you :p )

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't agree. KilroyMcFadden did not hold a gun (proverbial or otherwise) to any PT fan's head and say, "OK, you may commence going ape**** because I don't like the PT now."

People are responsible for their own reactions. Hell, even if we are targets of personal attacks here, if we react in kind, we get banned as well. So why in the hell are people who are "provoked" into derailing threads and making personal attacks by someone else's TOS-friendly opinion of a friggin' movie, suddenly the victims who couldn't help themselves?

Not my problem.

9. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Sistros I'm sure we've learned to get along with others at some point.

Everyone is different and everyone has their own opinion. I'm not sure if there are ways of controlling how a person would react to something on the internet. :p

I saw the OP's post as provoking fans. While the thread's subject and initial post were done in good faith (from what I can see, they were not meant for trolling purposes), the OP made a wrongful decision of coming out as being highly negatively toward the PT. Had it been worded differently, I'm sure the thread would still be there. I commented on the two extremes and the OP post repeatedly.

SlashMan likes this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    And would that not include not personally attacking people over their opinions of a film?

11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    This place is for "impacting others' opinions" ... that's what discussion is... exchanging ideas and opinions. Are you seriously condoning certain opinionns being shut out because others disagree with them? That's ridiculous.

This place would be boring as **** if conversations went like this:

User A: I love __________ !

User B Me too!

User C Me too!

User D Me too!

User E Me too!

Come on...

12. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    TreborSabreon and CT-867-5309 like this.
  13. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Define... "doesn't get it," because it sounds a lot like "doesn't agree with me."

14. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    GGreivous lets put it this way

if I went into a thread in LACWAC that praised Ahsoka Tano or the Mortis trilogy thingy and said "stop provoking me, i'm offended you like this" you'd think me rather petty for doing it right?

(not that I venture there often but that's not the point)

I don't do it because i'm not that immature and two, I have the sense not to read it in the first place

it's been said over and over, IGNORE features are put in place for a reason, wouldn't you agree?

15. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    Have you guys noticed how (most of) the people defending the right to discuss the negative aspects of the movies are not PT haters? It's because we are able to appreciate an open and honest discussion, even though we seldom agree with the "bashing".

How would there even be posts on the board without different opinions? I can picture the threads.

"What are you opinions on Anakin in ROTS?"
    "Good."
    "/thread"

16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I don't think cynicism is productive to great conversations either, in my opinion.

Do you mind to point out who in this thread has a position against discussing what in their opinion are negative aspects of the movies? Please, do.

SlashMan likes this.
  17. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    I'm sure you know the answer to that from another place. ;)

You're missing the point. I'm by no means saying that we all should take the side of one extreme. See my post about the "happy medium."

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I enjoy discussions with people who love what I hate and hate what I love. Not that I don't enjoy finding out that I have something in common with someone else, there can be some good bonding that goes along with that. But I like finding out why people disagree with me on a film or a show, why a certain element of it worked for them and didn't work for me and vice versa. It opens my closed mind.

I've come to an understanding on several subjects here based on discussions with people who disagree with me, sometimes even based on rants by those same people (in before the "I don't mind discussions I mind the manner of them" post). Three that come to mind within a few seconds: the AOTC Tusken slaughter, the nature of the old Jedi Order, and Anakin's attack on Padme in ROTS. My viewpoint on these topics hasn't altered that much since I joined the boards 13 years ago but I have come to understand the POV of people who disagree with me...and that has only helped me.

Cynicism isn't against the TOS. Some people are cynical, and it's really none of your business. Again, the "ignore" button is your friend.

No idea what the hell you're talking about. If this is about LACWAC, I think you're proving my point. The "why are you here if you don't like X" has been bad there for awhile, as has been pointed out several times in the thread.

CT-867-5309 and Zapdos like this.
  19. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    I'm sure if someone uses the ignore feature to filter out a group of people or an individual, the forum would be all negative or all positive (depends on who you ignore. :p)

Like LACWAC, this thread is now taking sides/turning into a like contest. Ugh.

20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    If you don't like something, you don't like it... there's no happy medium. People should be able to discuss these things without things falling apart, and those with the popular opinion don't really need to be coddled... especially if they're attacking the person with the unpopular opinion. Maybe it's because I'm an adult, but when somebody says they think something I like sucks, I'll generally respond with "Really? Why?" ... and a discussion will take place--I'll say why I like it, what I like, etc... they'll say why they don't like it, what aspects bug them... and we'll talk about it. This can be done by cracking jokes, getting maybe a little heated (heated discussion can be fine... fun, even), and just allowing the other person to talk. This is called conversation... it's ancient and useful.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Exactly. Problem solved for those who only want to read posts they like.

22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Who said it was?

It's my business to say that "cynicism is not productive to great conversations". Which is what I did. It's not about if they can do that or not, no matter how many times you perceive so.

23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    What do you feel, is productive to great conversations?

24. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Wow. :p

25. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    There is always a happy medium if people are willing to stop taking sides and start respecting others. But, of course, I can't change that, nor could someone change someone's reaction toward something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.