main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are the Jedi Council Forums a place for fans and praise only?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by CT-867-5309, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    At the center of this issue is the fact that we are not on a level playing field. Either enforce the rules, or don't. But there should be a level standard.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    That's just lazy modding, though... deal with the people causing the trouble. There's no sense in ending the conversation all together.

Can you show me were that's located within the TOS?

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Darth_Nub : this isn't about bashers, gushers, or differing opinions. It's about whether the rules against flaming other users are consistently enforced.

FWIW, CT-867-5309 and I get along great in spite of the fact that he can't stand my favorite character. Can we please not assume that those of us who are voicing our concerns in this thread, are simply unable to handle dissension and disagreement? That's a bit offensive really.

KilroyMcFadden and CT-867-5309 like this.
  4. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I don't really consider myself a gusher or a basher, I have opinions that would fall on both sides.

I have some strong ones, but I am still a fan like anyone else here

5. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    You are implying it by saying stuff like this over, and over, and over again:

I mean how many times do you figure you have said that to people?

Also the definition, as presented by TF.N staff member is:

Asking people why they post here over and over and over again, is that not a repeated behavior? Nevermind the fact that you continue to do so even after people have told you that it upsets them.

I don't mean to make this all about Alexrd, because it ultimatly has nothing to do with him. If he makes posts of a certain style, and the administration sees fit to allow his posts, then Alexrd himself is a non issue. He is working with the framework of what is allowed, he is not breaking any rules so thus when he posts things like "I pity you" it is acceptable.

You don't say...........

Yep

While it does not surprise me that you don't remember a specific instance between two users I find it difficult to believe that you now suddenly don't even seem to recognize that the behavior even existed in the first place.

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Good thread, CT-867-5309 . It's kind of too bad that this all needs to actually be discussed, but the points and questions are valid... so there you go.

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Part of the problem is that these interactions usually aren't dealt with with any immediacy... the "offended" party usually toys around with the situation, tries to get shots in, and all the while the whole thing is boiling until it finally just blows. And, then the posts get reported because the final shot was too hard to take. Nobody is here to moderate personalities. That is an unrealistic and also an unfair goal. Where it turns absurd is when someone decides it is their civic duty to play David to another member's Goliath and when it doesn't work out according to plan, then it is time to sick a Mod on 'em. It is classic Looney Tunes. Chester & Spike.

Honestly, if we are here any amount of time, 2 semi-related things should occur at some point. 1. We should adopt some semblance of a mentality of responsible posting for the sake of building a community. And, 2. We should probably have adjusted to others not having been cut from the same cookie cutter as ourselves. There is no room for bullying and the TOS should certainly be upheld, but some of the stuff that passes as "strife" would simply dissolve if we could get a better handle on concepts such as walking away and that handy "ignore" function.

eht13 and GGrievous like this.
  8. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Good thing if it's a moderator issue that I don't trust any of you people. Nobody says I have to like anyone here, not even if you have pretty little eyesore colors. Then I know whose judgement I am okay with, and who I consider to just be abusing their rights because they can.

9. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I feel like the ignore function is kinda a faulty system if it is being used to avoid people who may be taking personal shots at you. I'd rather be able to read exactly what they say so I can defend myself if need be.

It might work well for some folks, but for me it would just make me wonder what people are saying about me :p

eht13 and Random Comments like this.
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Well, I suppose we don't actually have a button for social paranoia...

11. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    It also doesn't work well because you still know they are posting. It just comes up as ignored member, I'd rather not see it at all

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    So, you hate their avatars... that is some deep rooted vitriol...

13. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    That's not paranoia, usually you use that feature because you are having a specific problem with a poster. If you fight back you get in trouble, so ignoring is sometimes your only real option.

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    So, it ceases to be one person's fault and becomes a matter of both sides wanting to antagonize. No wonder this thread is necessary.

15. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Well, you were just being snarky about people discussing the ignore feature, which is a legitimate way to De-esleclate that kind of a situation, do you think that puts you in a position to lecture us now?

I mean, an improved ignore feature would be a net positive, no?

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    No I was not. I was being lighthearted in an otherwise uptight thread about how Robimus said he/she wanted to know what was being said about them... with an :p for tone.

You are just an angry, angry man, Captain.

17. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I'm in a good mood right now, I'm not angry at all.

I am responding to this:
    An ignore feature which actually ignores the presence of the poster in question would eliminate that concern

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Oh, that was after this all got to be serious business again. I was joking with the "paranoia" thing.

19. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Then I misinterpreted your post and I apologize for that

20. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    As far as walking away and ignoring people goes, I agree. But that doesn't mean comments against the TOS should remain unedited and the harassers unpunished, while others are not. That's what I'm talking about here, punishment should be handed out equally and fairly.

I love the ignore button, and have used it with relief, but I see a problem with the ignore button. If I put everyone who told me to leave on my ignore list, there'd be dozens of people on it, all over the site. That just doesn't sound like a good solution. If it was just two or three people, this wouldn't be a problem at all.

"Just put them on your ignore list" also continues to support these GET OUT comments. When people hurl nasty insults or post disallowed words, the mods don't tell everyone to put those people on their ignore list, they edit the comments. Spoilers, inappropriate images, talks of piracy, everything against the rules is edited, except this. If the ignore list was the expected option for everything, there'd hardly be a need for mods at all.

I mean, if someone breaks the rules, they are edited, warned and then banned. If groups of people repeatedly tell you to leave, just put them on your ignore list.

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    See how easy it is to resolve social catastrophes on here? :p

Listen, I can empathize x100,000. If I had my way, LAJ & Grimby would be here to maintain the operating system for me, but the boards would just be me.

22. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    If it were really up to me, the mods would stay out things unless it was serious, like personal information being put out and things like that.

I prefer an environment where people can speak their minds, even when it gets a little nasty.

As things stand now, you are expected to absorb without fighting back.

That has been my assessment of the way things work here from literally my first week. I'm glad to see that others here see it. It's often not a level playing field here

23. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    You don't mean that :(

24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes, I wouldn't. It was an ironic comment about the oxymorous situation of having a movie night with a "bad" movie on a fan board about it.

Exactly.

I shadow you? Please... And I sometimes do make remarks when you tend to make flames. If my remarks are frequent, it's only a consequence of the frequency of your flames.

No, I'm not. There is no implication. It's a simple and genuine question, if you see more than what is there, it's not on me.

25. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Negative opinions of the movies, or of aspects in the movies, are every bit as valid as positive ones. And thus, threads started dealing with those negative aspects are every bit as valid as positive ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.