main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are the true fans the ones that point out all the flaws or are they the ones that like the prequels?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by sdj, Sep 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Are the true fans the ones that love the originals trilogy but think the prequels do not have the magic that the originals had? They are the ones that pictured things different and hate Jar Jar. They sometimes hate CGI and all the actors that played Anakin Skywalker.

Or are the true fans the ones that go with the flow and either look past things like Jar Jar or even love him. Are they staying true to the original intent of the films or are they yes men? Are they not true fans because they should ask for more?

2. nikto-jedi

nikto-jedi Jedi Youngling

Sep 13, 2002
    I like Beru's moustache...

3. Darth_Tarpals

Darth_Tarpals Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    The true fans are the fans who like Star Wars. PT, OT, it oesn't matter. I dont' think there really are any requirements for being a "true fan" other than not going around screaming "star wars is gay".

4. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    Oh boy....

5. zeva

zeva Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2002
    I'm sorry...but what's the point of your question?

6. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Why don't you rename this thread "BASHER VS. GUSHER WAR INSIDE!" and be done with it?

7. Darth_Tarpals

Jun 11, 2002
    Just because someone's a basher, or a gusher, doesn't mean they aren't a true fan. It doesn't matter what kind of fan you are, as long as you're a fan. Granted some, like me, are hella nerdier than others, but.. that's another story.

8. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    Yoda: "Begun the basher Vs Gusher war has"

9. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    Well, I don't think you have to like the prequels just to be a truefan.

However, I see plenty of OT bashing from alleged fans. Viewers who say they could watch those movies years ago, but now the same effects that created, and transported them to, the Star Wars galaxy, now "take them out of it," and need to change to fit the prequels. That is not the mark of a truefan in my book.

10. One-with-the-Force

One-with-the-Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    True fans are people who don't diss Star Wars in general.

11. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I think Darth_Tarpals hit it right on the head... as long as somone dosen't go around screaming "Star wars is (insert usualy vulgar out burst here)" and they enjoy the films they are a fan...
    Fandom is a state of zen.......

12. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    But then again, if someone only likes half the films (or even less than half as there are some that are none too fond of Return Of The Jedi) can they still call themselves a Star Wars fan? Or is this a case of "I was here first!" meaning "I liked the original films before you liked the prequels; therefore, I'm the real fan!"

Or to ask the question by way of an analogy, would you call yourself a Denver Broncos fan if you hated the coach and half the players on the team?

13. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    I don't think you can be a true Star Wars fan and hate the prequels. You can not like them as much but if you go around non stop complaining and saying how much you hate them, well...sorry i don't consider you a Star Wars fan.

Flame away.

14. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    Both...

For instance, I can tell you the number of times Luke whines in ANH. (55)

And that I think he might have a thing for Han.

And I can say that the Nemoidians are laughable cardboard villians.

And that Anakin is about as dangerous as Kermit the Frog...until the Tusken Raider slaughter.

But God help me if my eyes don't light up the minute I see the Star Wars logo jump onto the screen.

What can I say, other than:

"You had me at hello."

:cool:

15. Darth_Tarpals

Jun 11, 2002
    I think you can still dislike the PT and be a fan. Just don't whine to me how it sucks, and try and convince me that they're horrible, because I don't want to hear your crap. :p - NOTE: this is the viewpoint of the uber-gusher.

16. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    I think you have to be a true fan in order to like the prequels. Im sorry. As I have said, the poeple I dont understand are the OT fans that dont like the PT. I mean, if you are a non SW fan alltogether , fine, at least that means you realize the OT and PT are the same when it comes to the quality of the acting, scripts, and stories.

OT fans complain that the PT is too different from the OT. Well, yes it is different, it has to be somewhat different b/c it takes place in a completely different era. But I think it is similar enough to the point that you still feel like you are in the SW universe.

OT fans complain that the acting is too wooden. Well, it takes place in a more formal time, and more formal places. (the Senate, the queen's throne room) This is where the most "wooden" acting takes place, is it not?

OT fans complain that there is not as much humor in the PT. Well, GL intentionally toned down the humor for a specific reason: The PT is a tragedy, so there shouldnt be as much humor.

OT fans also complain that the same things from the OT happen in the PT. Well, I like how this happens. Repeating things from the OT is ok as long as it is done in a different way. (Anakin loses his arm, Luke loses his hand) I like this because it conveys the idea of larger hands of fate at work.

I could go on and on with a defense against every complaint that OT fans make, but I dont have enough time.

In my opinion, in order to be a true fan, you have to like SW for its most important and central themes. (Not just because you think Han Solo is the coolest character and you think his wisecracks are funny) Unless you like SW for those themes, you might not like the PT. If you only like SW because of Han Solo, and Han isnt in the PT, or if you only like SW because you think Darth Vader's breathing is cool, then ofcourse you wont like the PT.

The thing I like most about SW is that it conveys the moral that things will not work out exactly the way you want them to. Think about it, if Anakin had his way, he would be the most powerful Jedi, his mother wouldnt have been killed, he would have lived a long and happy life with Padme and his two children, he and his master would have had a long fulfilling friendship, he would not have been physically scarred, and he would have brought balance to the force along the way. But it didnt work out exactly that way. I think this is a good lesson kids should learn early on in life.

By the way, I am not trying to bash OT fans who dont like the PT. Its just that I think there are certain layers and qualities in the PT that they are completely missing, and so they are dismissing the PT because they think it is so different and humorless and "magicless". I just want them to see those layers and qualities.

17. rpeugh

Apr 10, 2002
    People who bash the OT definately are not true fans.

18. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    People who bash the OT definately are not true fans.

Hypothetically speaking, what if someone hates the original films but loves the new films? Are they forbidden from calling themselves a Star Wars fan?

19. Darth_Tarpals

Jun 11, 2002
    Well yeah, that's a given. But a true fan would realize that even Star Wars has its flaws.. few and far between, and barely noticable( ;) )but they're still there.

20. rpeugh

Apr 10, 2002
    Durwood, I havnt met anybody who loves the prequels but hates the OT. Most people who like the PT like the OT also.

21. rpeugh

Apr 10, 2002
    Your right Darth Tarpals, there are some minor flaws: "I wish I could just wish my feelings away".

22. rpeugh

Apr 10, 2002
    LOL Abstract, I thought I was the only one that suspected Han and Luke had a homosexual attraction to each other. (Look at the way Han stares at Luke in TESB after he tells him to be careful) It's both creepy and weird.

23. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    Relax my evil twin. Can't to guys express their friendship and not be accused of being gay? Geez.

24. rpeugh

Apr 10, 2002
    Well yeah guitarjedi, I gave them both the benefit of the doubt and figured that they were just expressing thier friendship,so I dont really think they're gay, but come on, a part of you had to wonder about Han's look.By the way, my last post was NOT meant to insult homosexuals.

25. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    No.

I thought it was more when Luke went up to Leia afterwords:

Leia: Luke, what's wrong?

Luke: Oh, It's Han!

hehe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.