main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters ARE THERE STILL ANY QUI-GON FANS AROUND HERE?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Seremela, Sep 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    I had actually decided to leave the fanfic parts of these boards, because I feel out of place here as a Qui-Gon fan. I have a feeling that there are hardly any fans of him here, while on the other hand there certainly are enough persons around who express their dislike of him. And nobody seems to mind that. So....

Am I alone in feeling that way? And in thinking that once there were much more Qui-Gon fans around? I got that impression from reading through the Qui-Gon story index (man, am I ever grateful for that thread!), seeing that he once had his own thread and looking at the stories from some years back.

So, did they abandon this place as well? For the same reason maybe? Or are some of you still lurking around, just no longer expressing yourselves?

2. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    I still love Qui-Gon. Usually, he appears in stories with Obi-Wan, especially in Before the Saga. Characterization of Qui-Gon varies from story to story, but many fic writers stick to a canon interpretation. He also pops up in the TPM Rewrite Challenges pretty often, and AUs in the Saga section.

He used to have his own character thread, and so did Obi-Wan, but now they are combined into a single thread on Resource, where discussion still takes place of both characters. I would suggest that as a place to talk with other Qui-Gon fans and even a place to suggest new writing challenges involving Qui-Gon.

3. Musing

Musing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003
    *waves hand*

I'm a QGJ fan - the lurker type who's not too good or timely at expressing personal opinions in an articulate manner. I've always liked Qui-Gon for his independent outlook and compassionate nature. Although I have to admit that the fact that he's something of an underdog among the major Star Wars characters is an added incentive. Belonging to an exclusive fandom has its appeal. ;)

4. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007
    Well considering how long it's been I know some fans have moved into other fandoms, but I still adore him just as much as I did ten years ago. I know the thread used to be really active, but I think it's just the boards in general have slowed down, not so much the character by himself. I used to run the thread with Dianethx awhile back, but it got so tedious that it was too much to keep up with in addition to other real life stuff I had going on at the time.

But once Anakin and Obi-Wan came on the scene, it's only natural that most of the stuff revolves around them, now. Qui-Gon was always a minor character in the movies, being only in one of them and Obi-Wan and Anakin were the main focus of at least two, not to mention the final duel on the Death Star.

I would love to see more Qui-Gon challenges come back.

5. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    I like Qui-Gon. I'm working on a few right now, though I'm a bit slow.

I don't feel like Qui-Gon gets more abuse than a lot of other characters. Anakin certain gets picked on along with others. Though I have to admit, I don't recall seeing Obi-Wan criticized in the same way Qui-Gon gets it.

Qui-Gon Activity on the boards has diminished, but it seems proportional with the lessening of activity on the boards in general, though game and Clone Wars fics have picked up a bit.

6. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    Still like Qui-Gon!! Especially Qui/Tahl pairings. I've been very slow to update, but I will update, I promise. :)

7. Jinn is MINE

Jinn is MINE Jedi Knight star 3

May 12, 2005
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Qui-Gon. :*

Mime. MINE. Mine. Mine. Mine. Mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine mine mine mine mine minemineminemineminemineminemineminemineminemine. [face_devil][face_mischief]:p

8. littleobiwankenobi

littleobiwankenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2009
    hi

i just found your Qui-Gon Jinn Story Index/FAQ - The Master Is In. i´m new in this forum, but I love Qui-Gonn and Obi Wan Story. I can´t stop reading them, ifen i´m not good enough to write my own story, so i have to read from other people. I always was wondering if their are only Qui-Gonn story.

I think ifen he only was in one movie, he still was the best Master for Obi Wan. So in the darkness Obi Wan had the change to survive, and don´t turn to the darkside

9. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    I'm a huge Qui fan :) His slight maverick side with a hint of his calmness and 'feel don't think' motto. [face_love] Living Force for sure! :D I'd love to see more Qui fics and challenges myself. Who knows ;) I might jump in on some of that. Good grief I so need to dive back into fan ficcing that's for sure! Got a certain Count out there fuming because his tales aren't finished! [face_laugh] As well as a certain Jedi Knight who's taken on his first Padawan [face_laugh].

I'm all for more Qui-Gon!

10. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    More Qui-Gon fans, yeah!!!!!!!! [:D]

LuvEwan: I know the QG/OW thread, but it's mostly the same people posting there these days and I wanted to know if there were more Qui-Gon fans around.

Hi Musing! LOL on the exclusivity of the fandom, but personally I don't want it to be exclusive, I want more Qui-Gon love around:_|

Jinngerbread: I get that he's only in one movie and therefore 'smaller', you only have to look at the different boards and their sizes to see that. I guess my question is for the Before boards, the one I was mostly residing in, with occasional a dip into Saga when there's a story with Qui-Gon in them there. Alas, not enough stories, and of those too many who depict him as a bastard for my taste :( (I'm leaving out KOTOR and such, and OCs :p )

Anne: Being mostly on the Before board does mean I don't know about character bashing of other characters, except, yes, for Anakin. He's often portrayed very eschewed as well. :( Personally I liked the little boy in TPM, and I loved the relationship that developed between him and Qui-Gon [face_love] It makes what happens later that much sadder.

So maybe it's something that happens often then, character bashing? :( That's a sad idea.

Serena!!! You know, I'm thát close to finding a whip and see if that might help! I miss your story!

*slaps JinnIsMine's hands away* Down, down!

littleobiwankenobi: that thread is wonderful, truly! I've browsed through it for many hours.

Kynstar: Oh, the Count! [face_love] What we need is more stories with Dooku and Qui-Gon. I love Dooku with Padawan Jinn myself, but also when they're both Masters, or Qui-Gon still a Knight... oh, it would all be good!

11. CelseteAntola

CelseteAntola TF.N Books Staff star 3 VIP

May 18, 2002
    I'm a Qui-Gon fan!! :D

I think that there are also a lot more Qui-Gon fans than we think, but most of them are lurkers... I know I was for a long time, until I became brave enough to start posting stuff. :)

Don't give up on the boards! I've recently posted a Qui-Gon fic (the link's in my sig and my bio), and I'm working on an AU that will feature Qui-Gon quite a bit (if only school would grant me more time to write *sigh*.) So, don't give up yet!

I also think that there's a definite cycle to the boards, since some writers have more time to write at different times of the year. For instance, there's hardly been any Kyp/Jaina fics on the boards in a long time. Heck, there's hardly been any Kyp stories, period. But, in the last month or so there's been a huge influx of fics starring Master Durron ([face_love]), so again, don't give up on us! :D

~Celeste

12. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    I'm a Qui-Gon fan! I don't think I've written about him, and I don't post too much, but I exist.

13. Jinngerbread

Sep 2, 2007
    Ahh see but a well written original character can do very well to help out the canon characters. Everybody needs good friends, after all, even the main characters. So that's only one of many places an Original character can fill in the gaps. If you would give them more of a chance, you might just surprise yourself at how much they can offer.

14. KellyLCrutcher

KellyLCrutcher Jedi Master star 2

Feb 28, 2009
    Yeah! You can definitely count me in as a Qui-Gon fan.

I keep wondering: What would it have been like if Qui-Gon had survived Episode 1 and trained Anakin? Are there any fics on the forum along these lines? If so, who are the authors?

15. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Qui-Gon fan here. I'm not a rabid one, and have only read and/or written a few stories. I have always enjoyed stories which focus on the good humor that both he and Obi-Wan exhibit. Qui-Gon's sense of humor is so wry, you can tell where Obi-Wan got it.

A little bit absurd I like, but mostly some light comedy. These two are so easy going that's it fun to see how they react.

16. Jinngerbread

Sep 2, 2007
    I'm actually working on one like that now and I know probably several have been done over the years. It's just a natural what if. Dianethx, VaderLVR64, Stormqueen874 are just a few that I can think of who have done some variation of that particular idea.

17. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    I'm a Qui-Gon fan too :)

18. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    And if you want to read new stories, you can always suggest challenge ideas in the Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan thread. No one has done that in a while, so you can always take the initiative and stir up some interest that way. There may not be as many fans around as in the past, but there's a great conversation going on in that thread right now.

19. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    [face_dancing] More Qui-Gon fans, yeah! [face_dancing]

Maybe... but it´s hard to know if there are more Qui-Gon fans when everybody lurks :_| And the question it begs is: why is that??????

I've read your story now (don't get to saga much I'm afraid) and it's very beautiful, very well written. So now I'm hoping for that AU :D

TheMacUnleashed: Glad you are! I hope you'll show yourself more!

I meant stories that are only about OCs, Jinngerbread, with no canon characters in them. I don't deny those stories can have their own appeal (there are some really great ones around on this board) but I'm still missing more Qui-Gon...:( And I still don't like it when he's bashed.

:eek: :eek: :eek: *pumps fist* YES! *all in anticipatory jitters right now*

Counting you! And I saw Jinngerbread already answered. I think you can find them best through the Qui-Gon Jinn story index. It's alfabetical on the writer's name.

Brodiew: Hi! Yes, I would expect you to focus on the humor :p I think your own humor fits these two very well. Actually, I think it fits so well, you should write these two more often! [face_whistling] [face_praying] [face_praying] [face_praying]

jacen200015: Great! :)

LuvEwan: Yes, that's a good idea, because who knows what challenge might actually trigger a writer! Now let's hope people go there and issue ideas.... [face_peace]

20. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I am a Qui-Gon fan and writing a little vignette about him and his master Count Dooku

edit: it's finished and can be found here guilty

21. PadmeSolo00

PadmeSolo00 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 15, 2003
    I adore Qui-Gon. He's one of the reasons I watched EPs. I in the thearters about 30 times. I was crushed when he met his end in the movie. I have't been able to find any fics with him featured promitaly. *grumbles* I stoped looking for good ones when I stumbled apon a racy one with him and obi having a 3-way. *eeeeek* I think I'm still traumatized from that one.
    Has anyone seen any good qui-gon fics around here? or mediocre ones. I need a Qui-Gon fix.

22. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
  23. celera

celera Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2002
    I guess I was a lurker but that was only because there weren't a lot of active Qui-Gon threads around. It's good to see a revival both here and on the community boards. Qui-Gon was my favorite character from TPM. He was so much at peace with himself and the only PT Jedi to take a balance the Living and Unifying Forces nicely. I was even more impressed when I found out that in the EU, he drove Dooku crazy with his empathy for "lesser beings" when he was a padawan.

24. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    QGJ is very much one of my fave canon characters. I know a lot of people moved on as the rest of the prequels came out, and I allowed my list of faves to expand, but I didn't bump anyone off it, that's for certain.

25. Quigonjecca

Quigonjecca Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    I'm a HUGE Qui-Gon fan. He's awesome. He's my favorite, regardless of movie or book. See my username :p

I need to write some good Qui-Gon fiction... hmm...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.