main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V Art of Star Wars Rebels by Dan Wallace

Discussion in 'Literature' started by LAJ_FETT , Feb 11, 2019.

1. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    Just received a copy via Amazon - I'm actually shocked at how well its compiled! This is certainly one of the best "art of" books for Star Wars content. Not only does the book explore the various designs that went into the series, but it serves as a visual dictionary for characters and ships / vehicles as well. I hope the same can be done for Clone Wars, now that we've seen the series finale!

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I have the book on my Amazon UK list. The site says May 19 for here.

Findswoman likes this.
  3. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I just got it yesterday and this is way better than I thought that it would be. I also do hope that TCW gets this type of treatment.

Findswoman likes this.
  4. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Do the Inquisitors or the Sith feature at all?

Findswoman likes this.
  5. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Yeah, anything about the Fifth Brother's species, cause that would be helpful.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  6. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    Both the Sith and Inquisitors have individual entries, the Eighth Brother is a Terrelian Jango Jumper, but no species is listed for the Fifth Brother.

Vialco likes this.
  7. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Oh well. It's cool that he is an enigma, but I think his design is awesome. Definitely my favorite inquisitor.

8. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Interesting! Now I’m curious about this book. Any interesting info about Malachor? I know Filoni had hinted way back that he had some ideas about the Sith Lord who made the temple, but he didn’t want to reveal more at the time. Maybe it was related to the Sith holocron?

Findswoman likes this.
  9. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    The TROS Visual Dictionary maybe-implies it's Darth Tanis, because it says they created the Malachor superweapon.

10. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Is there a cross section for The Ghost?

11. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Page 200...could they not have just said Dreadnought??

12. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    what do the 8 extra pages in the deluxe edition cover? pagecount is different as per amazon

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Wanted to get this in my last Amazon UK order but the website only had the Deluxe Edition in stock. Now they have the regular edition as well so it will be in my next order (mid June, probably).

Findswoman likes this.
  14. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    and got both today, deluxe and regular edition. there are NO extra pages, page counts on various sites are wrong! Deluxe only got the box and art prints as extra. I recommend, go with the cheaper version!

Great book, but deluxe is overrated. Well give I got two to compare I am now selling one of them! Any takers? (location: Germany, shipping costs depend on whereever you are)

15. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Ordered this from Amazon UK today along with a few other items. I went for the regular version - it was expensive enough. I don't need the deluxe one.

Findswoman likes this.
  16. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.starwars.com/news/the-art-of-star-wars-rebels-interview

StarWars.com: How was writing this book different than writing reference books like Star Wars Year by Year: A Visual Chronicle?

Dan Wallace: I always enjoy working on books like this because of the artistry on display. Just on technical skill alone, the concept art and renderings are such a pleasure to look at.

StarWars.com: Who did you interview from the production staff of Star Wars Rebels while working on this book?

Dan Wallace: Rebels art director Kilian Plunkett was my ticket inside the process of how the show decided on its signature look. I was able to get his insights on design for creatures, tech, starships, and more, and he is heavily quoted throughout the book in reference to the show’s artistic decisions.

StarWars.com: What was your relationship to Star Wars Rebels when you started writing this book? After you knew you would be writing this project, did you re-watch any of the series?

Dan Wallace: I’ve been a Rebels fan since the beginning, and even before the beginning! During Season One of Rebels I wrote two tie-in books: Ezra’s Rebel Journal and Sabine: My Rebel Sketchbook, and as part of that I got to read the early scripts before the show was officially released. Of course, I kept up on the show as it aired, and you’re definitely right that working on The Art of Star Wars Rebels required a lot of rewatching of certain episodes and sequences.

StarWars.com: Did you have a say in which images and illustrations would appear in the book?

Dan Wallace: I had some limited say in the choice of images, but in this case I was not the primary person working with Lucasfilm to obtain production images. Usually I would make suggestions for scenes and characters that I thought could stand to receive more exposure in the book and then I’d see a selection of related images during a later round of editing. In general, my favorite images are the landscapes and environments — the kind of sweeping alien vistas that might have been done as matte paintings on glass in classic Hollywood, but are now conceived as digital backdrops instead.

StarWars.com: It’s clear from reading this book that Ralph McQuarrie’s concept designs from the original Star Wars trilogy were a huge inspiration for the Rebels artists from vehicle design to the look of Yoda. What element of Rebels do you think was the most heavily inspired by McQuarrie’s work?

Dan Wallace: In my talks with Kilian Plunkett, I was surprised to learn that the answer is probably the starships. There’s an overall sense of McQuarrie simplification and smoothness to the whole visual aesthetic of Rebels, but Kilian explained that in the case of the starships they not only looked to McQuarrie but also the early Star Wars toys released by Kenner in the late ’70s and early ’80s. Just from a plastic-manufacturing standpoint those vehicles had a similar simplicity to their design which led to things like the shorter-winged TIE fighter seen in Rebels.

StarWars.com: Some of my favorite illustrations are the first concept drawings of the main characters shown near the beginning of the book. Which character do you think changed the most from original sketches to final design?

Dan Wallace: I love the cartoonish facial studies done for all the key characters where the artist runs through a series of extreme expressions: shock, hilarity, anger, thoughtfulness, disgust. It’s fun to see Hera or Kanan or Zeb pulling these faces because they’re slightly more extreme than they would be on the show, but they’re still 100 percent in character. In terms of character design, Darth Vader is one of the more interesting cases since his helmet has the narrow shape and sharp angles of McQuarrie’s original concept paintings.

StarWars.com: The book is organized by seasons and then divided by sections (characters, environments, props, and vehicles) — did you find one of these sections the most interesting (or challenging) for you to write about?

Dan Wallace: It all has its own flavor, doesn’t it? The characters are the core of the story and there’s so much expressiveness that goes into their design, but things like props and vehicles are informed by the same design sensibility and can be really interesting to study up close in a book like this. And, of course, I already mentioned how much I love the environments. I think writing this book gave me more of an understanding of how each of these things is essential to the visual tone that makes an animated series like Rebels feel so distinct.

StarWars.com: One of the interesting bits of info I learned from this book is that digital assets from The Clone Wars were “re-painted” to be used in Rebels using digital paintbrushes created by Andre Kirk. What are some other fun facts about the production of Rebels you learned while working on this book?

Dan Wallace: Here’s one of my favorites, from Kilian Plunkett: the design of Bendu — the huge, strange Force being introduced in Season Three — was heavily influenced by the mega-sized puppets common in ’80s fantasy films like The Neverending Story.

StarWars.com: In addition to concept art of locations such as Lothal, Geonosis, and Mandalore, there are also sections of the book devoted to small details like Lothal ancient paintings and advertising shingles used in an episode. What are some of your favorite sections or pages of the book?

Dan Wallace: The advertising shingles that you mentioned are in fact one of my favorite bits in Rebels and I’m glad we were able to showcase them in this book. In the show you might see a crate with a label advertising meiloorun fruit, or you might catch a glimpse of an exotic bazaar with brightly-colored banners. These signs are all unique, and even when they’re written in Aurebesh they can still be translated into labels like Hutt’s Grotto, Repair Rack, or Eat at Koe’s.

StarWars.com: Why do you think Star Wars Rebels remains such a fan favorite with Star Wars fans?

Dan Wallace: It’s a natural continuation of the characters and themes of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, which is already an outstanding take on the saga, while pushing the story forward with its own heroes and villains as it transitions into the classic trilogy. With all-new episodes of The Clone Wars streaming now, I hope fans will revisit their favorite parts of Rebels or check out the series for the first time.