main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Art of the Sith's Herald (Update - 4/14- Special Agent Tat Argota)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Siths_Herald, Sep 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siths_Herald

Siths_Herald Minnesota CR, MNFF Co-Leader star 2

Jan 5, 2004
    Hi again,

(12/6/06) It has been many moons since I was in here last. I have finally completed my summer project, and am looking forward to getting back into some of my own SW themed art.

Here is the project I completed for a friend of mine in the Minnesota Force.
    GTO Drawing

This is also a sketch I am currently working on. I was inspired after finishing "Darth Bane: Path of Destruction." This is a drawing of Darth Bane and his new apprentice Rain as they gazeout upon the unknown future of the new Sith order they will forge together.
    Bane and Apprentice

This one was a little something I put togther for the Anoka Halloween parade in which the Minnesota Force participated. Seeing as how it was an election year, we didn't want to be the only group without candidates to promote.
    Campaign Poster

Thanks, and as always, feedback is welcome!

(4/14/06) - This latest character is one of my own design. Special Agent Tat Argota is a member of the Sector Marshalls, a regional law enforcement organization commissioned under the Republic. Marshalls were responsible for helping to enforce interstellar law and liased between local planetary or system police and the Republic. In doing this, the Sector marshalls frequently worked with the Jedi to complete their missions.
    During the Clone Wars, open warfare and martial law overrode the Marshalls' charter nearly destroying the organization. When the wars ended with the emergence of the Galactic Empire, the Sector Marshall program was a mere shadow of its former self. The Empire allowed the agents to continue policing areas where there was not yet military involvement, but they were expected to operate autonomously. Each time an action under Marshall jurisdiction required backup or assistance from the government or military, the agent in charge would be excused and the situation would then come under permanent government control. With the ever growing presence of garrisons and battle fleets the Marshalls dwindled in numbers and were eventually pushed to the outer rim systems.

Sector Marshalls were often allowed to wear badges modeled after their home systems. Tat Argota still proudly wears his from his days with the Ryloth Criminal Apprehension Force. He also later served the CSF on Coruscant where he completed his schooling. Argota, who had been with the Sector Marshalls since the Clone Wars, had grown bitter with the organization's loss of influence and effectiveness. Several years before the Battle of Yavin, he became involved with hunting down a particularly potent band of thieves, who were rumored to have ties with both Balck Sun and the slave trade. He sent many of the most dangerous criminals to Kessel, but was continuously eluded by one master thief. As the war beteen the Empire and the Rebellion once again heated up the galaxy, Argota became fully obsessed with catching this thief. Little did he know that the thief in question had become a full fledged rebel agent...

(4/7/06) - Starfighter - It's been a while since I have finished anything worth posting. This was a request done for Eamon. Enjoy!

(2/12/06) - Jedi Master Trouper Siralos is my first finished original piece of 2006. Enjoy!

(2/6/06) - Marikk Danar is my latest finished piece. He was done as a request for R.Zion.

(1/3/06) Here is a link to images of most of the custom figures I've done. I know there's a customs thread in the collector's forum too, bu

2. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Wow, they look good. If I would live in the SW Universe, I would buy one.

3. Siths_Herald

Jan 5, 2004
    Thank you for the kind words! I should have my first photoshop character done and posted by week's end.

4. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Excellent ship designs, Siths_Herald, and welcome to the Fan Art forum! Your engineering art skills really show in these, with beautiful and believable lines and features--I especially like the foils in the last one: lovely "rake" to them, with great shading (love the "gray washes" you've applied to some of them--gives a beautiful volume to the ships). We'll be looking forward to seeing your PS work as well! Again--welcome!

FF

5. Siths_Herald

Jan 5, 2004
    Thank you FalconFan. I appreciate you insights! The wings on the Vourren Fighter turned out better than I thought they would when I was sketching. My personal favorite of these is the Sith's Herald (if you couldn't tell by my username...)

I updated the first post with my first completed PS project. More to come.

6. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    Welcome to Fanart Siths_Herald! Great work you've got here! :) Such a selection for us all to look at, I appreciate that ability to work over several styles very much. I love the custom saber by the way, interesting choice to go for the leatherwork in the handle, I can't say I've ever seen anything like it made before (not that I've seen much mind you! :D )

Great work on your photoshop stuff, I understand how hard it can be learning a new program but you've done well. Maybe you should try colouring some of these ships with photoshop? Give us an idea of the colours they are in your mind? Oh and those ship drawing style reminds me very much of Doug Chiang actually. Any inspiration there or freaky co-incidence? :D

Great work and hope to see some more in the near future. Well done!

7. Siths_Herald

Jan 5, 2004
    Guilty. I think Doug Chaing is amazing. On one documentary, I saw him whip out a Naboo N-1 in markers. It took about two minutes and was flawless! I studied his drawings in the Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels and thought that style represented what I wanted very well. I hope Doug would consider my copying as flattery.

8. deathstalker21

deathstalker21 Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2005
    excellent!

9. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    Yeah, I could bang on for the next three days on how good Doug Chiang is. :D Well him, Dermot Power, Iain McCaig, Warren Fu, and Phil Hale as well. ;) It's good to try things that the professionals do, I remember trying to draw starships like you have here, and they came out horrible! Straight lines hate me. LOL You've done so well on these! Can't wait for more.

10. Anison

Anison Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 26, 2000
    Fantastic ships... the designs and the way you present them look very professional. Are you using markers for those?

11. Ty_Ordell

Ty_Ordell Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 7, 2002
    great designs! nice job. Also cool saber. I have never seen anything like it before.

12. Siths_Herald

Jan 5, 2004
    I usually sketch everything in pencil first, then if I want to scan it in to work with electronic media, I ink the sketch with a fine black pen.

For the ships, I inked the sketch and then shaded with Prismacolor markers.

13. Siths_Herald

Jan 5, 2004
    I added a couple updates. See above.

14. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    I'm sorry I've missed commenting on your latest posts, Siths_Herald--they're all great!! It never ceases to amaze me how quickly some of you can master the PS program (although I've heard, too, that the tablet makes it easier to implement...?)! The most recent pieces are wonderful, in detail and color and style! I have to admit, though, that your Wookiee tracker is my favorite of them all! His face especially (perfect Wookiee face!), but the way you've costumed him (just love the vest and adornments to his fur--the feather is a particularly nice touch!) and highlighted that fabulous lustrous coat...just awesome! I can't draw alien species to save my soul, so I truly admire those who can render them well--and this is definitely wonderful! Great work, and can't wait to see some more! Enjoying the Wacom, are you...? ;) :p

FF

15. Siths_Herald

Jan 5, 2004
    Thanks Much! I really am enjoying the tablet. I've had it a while, but not until recently have I had the time to really proactice with it.

Dutch was one of my first fan-fic characters, and one of my favorites. He's the only one I ever finished in pencils to that degree of detail. As for the lustrous coat, that was one of the last minute PS additions I made. Let's just say he gets his share of the lamb and rice mix. ;)

16. R_Zion

R_Zion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    LOL! With that Ryyk blade and that carbine of his, I don't think you'd wanna say that too loudly when Dutch is around. ^_^

17. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    [face_laugh]

(Hmm...I could have sworn I posted a comment in here earlier. Oh, well...)

Anyway, amazing stuff you got there, SH!

About your new offerings: I get the feeling that Temptuous might be Dooku's type of gal! :p And Falcon's right about Dutch's Wookiee face. He has a great look.

18. REBADAMS7

REBADAMS7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    Wow!
    not only do the ships look like they can take to atmosphere at a moments notice - they have exciting lines and a really functional look.
    Excellent
    Reb

19. Siths_Herald

Jan 5, 2004
    Hey Reb, good to see you over here!

Thanks everyone for the nice words. It makes the years these characters have been trapped in my head worth it. My next goal is to work on a few requests people have made, so it will likely be a few weeks before I add much. But thanks again everyone. Your support is encouraging!

S H

20. Moonshadow

Moonshadow Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2003
    I love the Vourren fighter and the Sith's Herald. Ships are something I have a hard time with, but you're excellent. :) I hope to see more in the future.

21. mirax80

mirax80 Retired Midwest RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Awesome work SH!

[face_dancing] :D

22. Siths_Herald

Jan 5, 2004
    Hey, I know you! Thanks Ny!

23. Siths_Herald

Jan 5, 2004
    *Bump* - I added some new pieces today. See above.

24. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Awesome new additions, S_H! I love to see well-drawn ships like yours--this sort of rendering is fascinating to me, with all the detailing it requires--you do it so well!

Of the two newest vessels, I'm more excited by the "Mins Wind:" her design, while it harkens to a Corellian corvette, is entirely unique, with the elevated bridge deck and the placement of her turrets/weapons emplacements. I especially like the engine nacelles--they look like they'd be channeling a tremendous amount of power and speed--and her "nose" looks positively fierce, almost like teeth there below! Cool!

The Eventide is beautiful as well--her sleek fuselage really takes me back to an almost "Buck Rogers" sort of ship design, and I love the sweep to the foils as well.

And your "character collage" is really a beautiful piece--by far my fav of these! It looks just like a professional layout, clearly depicting a character we'd all like to learn more about and see in action (the "shot" of him in motion, toward the viewer, weapon in hand is just fabulous!)! All the elements that describe him are included--the closeup portrait, the full-body pose, his vessel and her environs...a wonderful and beautifully drawn piece!

Great update, Siths_Herald!

FF

25. Siths_Herald

Jan 5, 2004
    FalconFan, Thank you so much for the kind words!

I have been playing with different designs for the Min's Wind in my head for years. The one I posted was a sketch I did a few years back. Recently when I started polishing up my ship designs a bit, I was thinking about how I could improve on it. I tried redrawing it a couple times and always ended up liking the one I posted more. It is not as finished as the other vessel drawings, and I would change a few minor details, but it's been the design I am most happy with. I did put the hangar door on the front of the nose. Thinking about that later, it would be extremely impractical so I moght redo the drawing yet, butthe insights and opinions one what does work about the Wind are very helpful!

Tat has been a much harder character to flesh out than he was to create visually. Up until the X-Wing novels and Nawara Ven, Twi'leks were always depicted as a part of tha galaxy's underbelly. I always thought there must be some admirable one, then I read about the honor and fierceness of their warrior caste. Mix that with a peace GFFA peace officer, and Tat became pretty easy to design.

The Eventide has been one of my personal favorite of my designs. It, like many others, started out as a doodle on the top of a page of notebook paper that should have been filled with calc. notes... Anyhoo, I really liked the asymmetry of the B-Wing and wanted to do something original on that asymmetrical line of thought. I don't know where the side view inspiration came from, but once it was finished, it always kinda reminded me of a fish from a coral reef.

I do have a few more finished. I'm just waiting for the requestor's approval before I post them. Thanks again for the kind words and insight!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.