main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Beyond - Legends As Time Goes By (Casablanca as told in the LOTF Era) Winner -BEST CROSSOVER- Summer 2007

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by The_Burberry_Ewok, Dec 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Burberry_Ewok

The_Burberry_Ewok Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2006
    Title: As Time Goes By

Author: The_Burberry_Ewok
    Timeframe: Legacy Era (WARNING- spoilers for Legacy of the Force)
    Characters: Jagged Fel, Jaina Solo, Zekk, Jacen Solo, etc.
    Genre: Drama, Action, Romance, Crossover?
    Summary: A date with destiny reunites two star-crossed lovers in the no-man?s land of the Corellian Crisis. Will history repeat itself? What will win- duty or love? A classic story told in the galaxy far, far away.
    Disclaimer: All names, places, situations, etc. recognizable belong to others. I am merely playing with the masterpieces of others.

Authors Notes: I have no idea where this came from. I was listening to the Casablanca soundtrack, thinking about the next chapter in my other story, and?this was born.

Also, the prologue is directly taken from the movie. Only the names have been changed to fit the Star Wars Universe. No copyright infringement is intended. Any dialogue that is copied either directly or indirectly is also used without any intended copyright infringement.

----------

With the coming of the Second Corellian Crisis, many eyes in the besieged Corellian sector turned hopefully or desperately to the freedom in the stars. Taanab became the great embarkation point. But, not everybody could get to Taanab directly, and so a tortuous, roundabout refugee trail sprang up- Corellia to Kuat, across the remains of Alderaan to Borleais, then by transport, fighter or cargo ship across open space to Ord Mantell, a Galactic Alliance planet in name only. Here the fortunate ones through money, or influence, or luck might obtain traveling visas and scurry to Taanab, and from Taanab to the Empire or the Unknown Regions. The others wait on Ord Mantell?and wait?and wait?
    ----------

Café Imperiale was bustling. It was known as one of the nicer cantinas surrounding the Ord Mantell spaceport, but it still had that certain seedy element. Here the criminals were more nicely dressed. It was a center for the black market: if it could be found on Ord Mantell, it could be bought in the Café Imperiale. In the back room, the sabacc tables were insuring that money changed hands frequently. The bar made sure that patrons were either celebrating their victories or drowning their defeats.

Anyone who was anyone on Ord Mantell came to the Café Imperiale. Officers of the Galactic Alliance Guard placed sabacc side-by-side with Corellian smugglers. Kuati merchant-princesses tried desperately to sell their jewels to local dealers. Governments held little sway inside the walls of the Café Imperiale. It operated under a law to itself, and that law was handed down by one man: Jag Fel.

He had long ago traded his black uniform for a white dinner jacket. After his dishonorable discharge from the Chiss military, he had drifted around the galaxy- occasionally acting as a smuggler, a mercenary, a bounty hunter. He ended up on Ord Mantell and won the building that was now the Café Imperiale in a hand of sabacc. Under his ownership, it quickly became the most popular cantina on the planet.

Jag strode over to the bar. Sitting down, he motioned to the bartender to bring him his usual, a whiskey. The bartender was a rotund Alderaanian by the name of Sacha Bailo. The destruction of Alderaan had occurred while he was on Ord Mantell for business; Bailo found he could never bring himself to leave.

?Starting a bit early tonight, aren?t we, Jagged,? came a smooth voice from over Jag?s shoulder.

He responded without turning around, ?It is not early. I?m merely catching up from my shortage last night.?

Captain Louin Reno slid onto the barstool beside him. Reno, Commenorian by birth, was the head of the local garrison of GAG troops and a regular at the Café Imperiale. He had made turning the blind eye into an art form, so long as he was able to profit from his unfortunate vision problems.

?Of course, I should have known. How inconsiderate of me to assume otherwise.? He paused to motion to Bailo to bring him a drink. ?Regardless, I received the

2. jasa

jasa Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2005
    yes! please continue!

3. Possum1

Possum1 Jedi Youngling

Feb 13, 2006
    Yes please continue. It's a great start, can't wait to read more

4. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Definitely worth continuing! =D=

Nicely done! :D

5. verybusy

verybusy Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 18, 2006
    Please continues! this will be definetly something I'd like to read. :D

Cheers,

VeryBusy

6. reagan64

reagan64 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 26, 2006
    Oooh, I've been waiting for someone to do a Star Wars Casablanca. I'll be watching this closely!

7. Princess Cambria

Princess Cambria Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2006
  8. DarthJaded

DarthJaded Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2006

Awesome a story mixing my two favorite movies Star Wars and Casablanca.:D=P~ Definitely continue this. [face_batting]

D. JadedO:) :-B

9. The_Burberry_Ewok

Oct 16, 2006
    Alright, well there seems to be a consensus...I guess I'll finish the story. I was afraid that it would seem like sacrilege, blending my favorite movie of all time (Casablanca) with my favorite saga (Star Wars).

Jasa: Thanks!

Possum1: Thanks...there will definitely be more coming!

VaderLVR64: Thanks! I wanted to do both justice.

VeryBusy: Thanks!

Reagan64: I wondered why it hadn't been done before either (or maybe it has and I'm too new to remember it[face_whistling]). The two mesh really well.

PrincessCambria: [face_blush] :D

DarthJaded: We have the same two favorite movies...you have good taste, my friend ;)

There will definitely be more coming soon. I have two dead days before finals start, so look for updates on Tuesday and Wednesday!

Thanks for reading!
    BBE

10. The_Burberry_Ewok

Oct 16, 2006
    Chapter 2

Jag tore his eyes away from the sight of Jaina Solo framed in the doorway. Still, he could not move from where he stood- leaned- against the bar. A part of him was disbelieving. The other part of him, the cynical part that had developed over the past few years just placed another mark in the column signifying the galaxy?s list of transgressions against Jagged Fel.

A slight nod of his head signaled to the Twi?lek serving as maitre d? to seat them. For just a moment, he was tempted to deny them seating in the club. That feeling was not based solely on personal grievances- having the two leaders of the Rogue Jedi in his cantina raised the stakes he was playing significantly.

He began to walk across the room, intent on making it to the office that doubled as his living space before any one could waylay him with questions. Of course, he had no such luck.

?Jagged, come over here. There is someone that I wish you to meet. Major Veidt, recently of Coruscant.? The voice of Reno stopped him in his tracks. There was the usual tone of good-natured cheer, but underneath it ran a vein of steel and a sliver of?fear?

Turning around, Jag saw Reno seated at a nearby table with another large, unfamiliar man dressed in the uniform of a Galactic Alliance Guard major. He was new to Ord Mantell, Jag immediately understood. All of the usual garrison soldiers already had running tabs with their name and picture at the bar.

?Please, Commander Fel. I insist,? the other man said, adding his invitation to Reno?s.

?I haven?t been a commander in quite a while, Major,? Jag replied frostily. ?Now I am simply Jagged Fel, the civilian.? He sat down on the remaining empty seat at the table. Reno moved to pour him a glass of the Alderaanian wine that he and the major were drinking, but Jag waved him off.

?My apologies. I must admit, I had not expected a military man such as yourself to adapt to life in the civilian sector quite so well.? The major looked around the Café Imperiale. ?It appears that you enjoy quite the?varied clientele.?

?Our local garrison ensures that peace and order are kept,? he said, nodding to Reno while never taking his eyes off the major.

From the corner of his eye, he saw Reno shift uncomfortably at the attention being thrown his way. He turned to address Jag. ?Major Veidt is on Ord Mantell at the behest of Colonel Solo to recover the missing datacards.?

Startled, Veidt glared at Reno, his eyes demanding to know when exactly the cantina owner had been granted top secret clearance.

?Oh, there is no need to fear any interference from Jagged, here, Major. Despite his military history, I would wager that he is the most politically apathetic man on the whole of Ord Mantell. In all the time that I have known him, the only firm position I have seen him take was to take no position at all.

Jag said nothing, merely offered a slight smirk and lift of his shoulders. While what Reno said was true, he did find a perverse pleasure in throwing the pompous official off balance.

In truth, he was paying little attention to the posturing going on between the two Alliance officers. His attention was focused over Veidt?s shoulder. Regardless of how hard he tried, it seemed his gaze was locked onto the table where Jaina and Zekk had taken a seat.

Major Veidt straightened, and glancing over his shoulder, allowed a self-satisfied expression to grace his features. ?That may be true now, my dear Captain, but it was not always. People can change. Why, I have it on good knowledge that then-Colonel Fel willingly placed himself under the orders of both Alliance and Imperial personnel during the Vong War. Perhaps it was his exile from Chiss space that soured him on galactic government. The whole story is right here, in fact.? Reaching into his breast pocket, the major withdrew a single datacard and slid it across the table to Jag and Captain Reno.

Before Reno could move, Jag had palmed the datacard and was sliding it into a datapad. For a tense moment, all three men were silent as he studie

11. RebelGrrl

RebelGrrl Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2006
    Oh, this is great! And it actually could have happened, or still could. :)

We'll always have Borlieas?

Eagerly awaiting more!

12. reagan64

reagan64 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 26, 2006
    Hmm. Looking good. Keep it up.
    Now I wonder what the GFFA equivalent of a piano could be...

13. Jessoass

Jessoass Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2005
    Great Job with this so far. =D= I can't wait for more. :)

Jess

14. The_Burberry_Ewok

Oct 16, 2006
    RebelGrrl: Thanks!

Oh, this is great! And it actually could have happened, or still could

Who in the world thought that the books would give us a galaxy screwed up enough where a Casablanca scenario is actually possible?o_O

We'll always have Borlieas?

SHHH![face_shhh] That part's still a couple of posts down the line!

Reagan64:Thanks!

Now I wonder what the GFFA equivalent of a piano could be...

So do I. Any suggestions?

Jessoass: Thanks! More is on the way!

15. Princess Cambria

Princess Cambria Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2006
    I liked all the tension and play making between Jag and the 2 officers.

Can't wait till Jag and Jaina interact;)

Great job!=D=

16. jasa

jasa Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2005
    ?Blue? Why for years, I was certain that my eyes were green.? :p

Great job!

17. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    Two posts and I'm already a big fan.

You've taken one of the greatest movies of all time and fit it perfectly into the Star Wars universe.

Your wronged Jagged is the perfect Rick and I can't wait to see how much like Elsa Jain will be and how/if this fic will differ than the original. Of course being a J/J fan I'm hoping for a different outcome. But that doesn't matter because you had me with the title, great writing and lines like this....

?Blue? Why for years, I was certain that my eyes were green.?

What a profic faux pas that was.:rolleyes: Thanks for slipping it in. [face_laugh]

edit:spelling

18. Solo_and_Fel

Solo_and_Fel Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2004
    Sa?am Dooli

Nice tribute. :D

I also liked the nick at the blue vs green eyes controversy.

19. The_Burberry_Ewok

Oct 16, 2006
    PrincessCambria: Thanks!

I liked all the tension and play making between Jag and the 2 officers.

I have to say, I had a really good time writing that part.

Can't wait till Jag and Jaina interact

Oh, it's coming...[face_whistling]

Jasa: Thanks! I had to slip that line in there! It was too easy to play off Bogey's line in the original.

Lola64: Thanks!

Your wronged Jagged is the perfect Rick and I can't wait to see how much like Elsa Jain will be and how/if this fic will differ than the original. Of course being a J/J fan I'm hoping for a different outcome

It's a little scary how easy it is to see Jag as Rick. Jaina will probably be a little different than Ilsa, just because I think that she is more forceful (no pun intended!)

As to the ending, just keep in mind that I am a J/J fan. And keep in mind that I think the ending of Casablanca is quite possibly the best scene ever committed to film. So in other words, it's anyone's guess.[face_devil]

Solo_and_Fel: Thanks!

Sa?am Dooli
    Nice tribute.

I want to throw in a few little goodies for the Casablanca fans! Another one is that Veidt is the last name of the actor who played Major Strasser in the film:p

Thanks for the replies! Next post is in the works. It'll be a pretty long post...but there's all kinds of good stuff!

Thanks
    BBE

20. Maul Brady

Maul Brady Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 1999
    Wow, you can def. apply Casablanca to these two. Please continue! (if you have a PM list, please add me)

*sings* The world will always welcome lovers, as time goes by

21. The_Burberry_Ewok

Oct 16, 2006
    Maul Brady: Thanks!

The world will always welcome lovers, as time goes by

The song makes its first appearance in the next post:D

The next post should be up in the next few minutes!

Thanks!
    BBE

22. The_Burberry_Ewok

Oct 16, 2006
    Chapter 3

Jaina Solo knew as soon as she walked through the door. She had gotten used to dampening her Force presence, so as not to allow Jacen to determine her whereabouts. As a result, it was much harder for her to sense those around her. Even that dampening couldn?t hide his familiar presence.

?Jaina, are you alright?? Zekk?s concerned voice floated through the doorway behind her.

?I?m fine,? she said, moving to the station where a Twi?lek stood, waiting to seat them. ?It?s nothing.?

It took all of her willpower not to scan the room to find him. She saw the Twi?lek look over before leading them to a table. Jaina knew that if she looked that direction, she would see him.

So many years had passed since she had seen him last. Now she didn?t know what she would do or say if?when she saw him again. The memories kept so long at bay threatened to rise to the surface.

Zekk glanced her way. Their Force bond was strong enough to tell him that something was wrong, even if he couldn?t tell exactly what. ?Do you want to leave? Our contact is to meet us here, but I?m sure that we could arrange another rendezvous.?

?No, I?m fine,? she said with a forced smile. ?Nothing to worry about.?

?If you say so.? He saw a waiter droid and waved it over to the table. After Zekk placed both his and Jaina?s orders, he studied the room. ?The sooner we get out of here, the better. Look in front of us?looks like a GAG major and captain.?

Jaina looked, but couldn?t focus on the two officers. All she could see was the man sitting with them. Only his profile was visible, but she would have known it anywhere. At seeing Jag sitting with and apparently chatting quite pleasantly with two GA officers, her heart sunk even lower. I wonder how bitter he is, she wondered. And who he hates more. Will he help me to spite Jacen, or turn me in for retaliation? Or has he given up on the Solos altogether?

The droid that had taken their order rolled back to the table, delivering Zekk?s drink and informing her that they were unfortunately out of the Chandrilan brandy she had asked for. He asked her if she would like to place another order, but Jaina just waved him off. She could sense the altercation taking place at the table where Jag was sitting, could feel the hostility, but was afraid to look as though she was paying attention.

?I think I?m going to take a walk around, get a feel for the place,? she said, sliding out of her seat.

?Our contact should be here.? Zekk glanced at his wristwatch. ?I say we give it a half an hour. If he hasn?t shown by then, we should probably leave. I?ve got a bad feeling about this.?

?So do I, Zekk,? she replied. ?So do I.?

----------

The further she moved away from Zekk, the more the memories threatened to overwhelm her. For so long, Jaina had blocked that part of her life away. Now it was staring her in the face again, and she did not know how to deal with it. Handling emotions had never been her strongest point.

Wandering around the tables, avoiding server droids and refugees, the sound of a KeyBed playing softly caught her attention. Swiveling her head, she saw a Bith playing over in the far corner. Jaina headed that way.

When she walked up, the Bith lifted his head. For a moment, she could swear that she saw a flash of recognition. Instead of playing games, she introduced herself. There wouldn?t be any danger in it. The GA already knew who she was and that she was on the planet.

?Hello, I?m Jaina. I couldn?t help by listen to your music. You play beautifully.?

?Thank you. I?m Sa?am, Sa?am Dooli. And I already recognized you from the pictures in?from the pictures on the HoloNet.?

Jaina noticed his slip, but chose not to pursue it. ?Have you worked here long??

?A few years now.? He didn?t seem to want to say anymore. Instead, he focused on his hands as they danced across the green, black, and white keys.

?Could you play a song for me? It?s an older song, from a holofilm, but it was fairly popular. ?As Time Goes By?.?

His hands stilled. Sa?am di

23. lexu

lexu Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 28, 2002
    I find this really clever. Keep it up!

24. Jessoass

Jessoass Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2005
    oh! oh! Evil[face_devil] evil [face_devil] Please post soon!! [face_praying]

25. Lyne

Lyne Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 10, 2006
    And I already recognized you from the pictures in?from the pictures on the HoloNet.?
    I think Jag's busted.

I just caught up on this story. Can't wait for next chapter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.