main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends As Time Goes By (Casablanca as told in the LOTF Era) Winner -BEST CROSSOVER- Summer 2007

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by The_Burberry_Ewok, Dec 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flowerlady

Flowerlady Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    You really do have a knack with Jag...I love this...=D=

?Blue? Why for years, I was certain that my eyes were green.?

Oh, that was brillant...[face_laugh]

I can't wait for more...May I have a PM...[face_batting]

FL @};-

2. Solo_and_Fel

Solo_and_Fel Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2004
    Great job. I really like how this continues to mix the flavor of the two movies.

3. Princess Cambria

Princess Cambria Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2006

Over the din of the room, he heard the first notes of a familiar song. A song that he hadn?t heard in years. A song he hadn?t let himself listen to for years. Angrily, he stalked across the floor to the corner where Sa?am was set up with his KeyBad.

?Did I not make myself unmistakably clear that you were never to play that song??

Sa?am only looked up and over. Jag followed his stare. For the first time in too many years, tired brown eyes met his cold green ones.

?Hello, Jag.?

Oh boy...I simply can't wait[face_dancing]

Another wonderful chapter=D=

4. reagan64

reagan64 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 26, 2006
    Hehe. Peter Lorre(sp?) is a Squib. Do I sense a snub here?
    Keep up the good work.

5. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    Another wonderful update.

I truly enjoy your writing. Of course it doesn't hurt that it's Jag/Rick.

Play it, Sa?am. Play ?As Time Goes By?.

Out of AFI's top 100 movie quotes, I believe Casablanca had the most, including this one.

A classic, like I could tell this story is going to be.

6. The_Burberry_Ewok

The_Burberry_Ewok Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2006
    Lexu: Thanks!

Jessoass: Thanks!

Evil [face_devil]evil[face_devil]Please post soon!! [face_praying]

What, you mean that wasn't a good stopping point?[face_whistling]

Lyne: Thanks!

I think Jag's busted.

Pretty much, yeah.

Flowerlady: Thanks!

You really do have a knack with Jag.

Thanks. For some reason, he is the easiest character for me to write. It may be because we don't really know him in the LOTF era.

Solo_and_Fel: Thanks!

I really like how this continues to mix the flavor of the two movies.

They both have such distinct flavors, I'm glad that both are coming through.:)

PrincessCambria: Thanks!

Reagan64: Thanks!

Peter Lorre(sp?) is a Squib. Do I sense a snub here?

This really wasn't intended as an insult. I think he's a great actor. I just needed a species that I could work with in the Ugarte role, and the Squibs were too perfect.

Lola64: Thanks!

Out of AFI's top 100 movie quotes, I believe Casablanca had the most, including this one.

Okay, my great weakness in life is those AFI countdowns. I think I've seen them all...100 Best, Most Thrilling, Most Romantic, Funniest, Best Quotes, Best Songs, Best Scores, and on and on...

My goal is to work all of the Casablanca lines into this story.

A classic, like I could tell this story is going to be.

[face_blush]

Thanks for Reading. Ya'll are incredible!

7. jasa

jasa Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2005
    This should be fun. Can't wait to see what they talk about.

8. Maul Brady

Maul Brady Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 1999
    Uuuu I'm soooo liking this, even though I've watched Casablanca a billion times this feels different and even more bittersweet.

BTW, could someone PM me and tell me which books show Jaina and Jag's relationship? I skipped all the books between Star by Star and Unifying Force a few years ago, so I want to catch up on that section; I just finished Dark Journey I'd greatly appreciate it!

9. CodyMonKenobi

CodyMonKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2001
    This is a story I have wanted to see too. You are doing it so well. Casablanca is one of my all time favorite movies. The I can just see the other Bar owner being a Hutt.

10. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    My padawan is sooooo talented!!

I [face_love] this story!!! It's amazing :D I've never seen Casablanca, but I'm looking forweard very much to where this is going :D

11. The_Burberry_Ewok

Oct 16, 2006
    Jasa: Thanks!

Can't wait to see what they talk about

Oh, I imagine they have some ground to cover[face_whistling]

Maul Brady: Thanks!

I'm soooo liking this, even though I've watched Casablanca a billion times this feels different and even more bittersweet

I didn't think that it was possible to be more bittersweet than Casablanca. That movie pretty much wrote the book on bittersweet.

CodyMonKenobi: Thanks!

I can just see the other Bar owner being a Hutt.

[face_laugh] I hadn't thought about that. It's classic!

NYCitygurl:Thanks!

I've never seen Casablanca

Master or not, I'm pulling a Jedi mind trick here. You WILL see Casablanca. It's my favorite movie of all time.

12. jasa

jasa Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2005
    I actually saw Casablanca for the first time in September. I liked it a lot.

13. The_Burberry_Ewok

Oct 16, 2006
    Chapter 4

?Hello, Jaina.?

A long moment passed without either of them saying anything more. Sa?am stopped playing and quietly left, his exit unnoticed.

?It?s been a long time,? Jaina finally said.

?Over five years, if I am not??

?Jagged! And Jedi Solo! How convenient to catch you both together.? Whatever Jag was going to say next was cut off by the arrival of Captain Reno. ?And you Jedi Solo, are even more lovely than your arrest warrant would suggest.?

Reno studied Jaina, then turned his attention to Jag. ?It would appear that you are already acquainted. Allow me to introduce myself then. I am Captain Louin Reno, captain of the Galactic Alliance Guard here on Ord Mantell. I should like to share a drink with you, Jedi Solo, if I may be so bold as to invite myself. Jagged, please join us.?

Without waiting for an answer, Reno turned and began to walk toward the table were Zekk still sat. When Reno joined him, Jaina could see Zekk?s eyes grow wide, even from across the room, as he realized what Reno?s uniform represented. Jaina gave him a slight nod.

She turned to Jag, unsure of what to say, hoping that he would start the conversation. Instead, he simply motioned for her to lead the way. Apparently, he intended to take Reno up on his invitation.

When they reached the table, Zekk turned to Jaina with a questioning look on his face. Although no words were exchanged, Jag had been around Jedi enough to known when they were communicating through the Force. Whatever Jaina said satisfied him; he lost his tense posture.

?Ah, Jedi Zekk, welcome to Ord Mantell. As I was telling your delightful partner here, I am Louin Reno, Captain of the Galactic Alliance Guard. We see many interesting individuals pass through, especially here at the Café Imperiale,? he said, acknowledging Jag as he sat down, ?but rarely do we have such well-known or mysterious guests. I heard recently that the two of you had been killed in that nasty business on Abregado-rae.?

?We managed to come out fine on that one,? Zekk said. ?Captain, I?m sorry for my suspicion, but we usually get a different kind of welcome from the GAG.?

?I can surely understand that. Just as a gesture of my goodwill, let me buy you a drink.?

?Actually, it will be on the house,? Jag said, joining the conversation and motioning the waiter droid to bring a round for the table. ?After all, I believe that is customary for old comrades.? He pointedly avoided looking at Jaina.

?Old comrades?? Reno appeared intrigued. ?Perhaps then you can shed some light on a mystery that has been bothering me for some time. I?ve often wondered what it is exactly that prevents Jagged from returning to Chiss space. Did he destroy some valuable piece of equipment? Fall in love with the wrong girl? Kill a man??

Jaina tore her eyes away from Jag before responding quietly, ?I?ve afraid it was a combination of all three.?

?And you would be in a position to know, wouldn?t you, Jaina,? Jag replied, finally addressing her directly.

?Do you intend to stay long on Ord Mantell, Jedi Solo?? asked Reno, sensing the tension. It seemed prudent to change the subject.

?No. We only stopped to restock on supplies before heading out again.?

?Pity. I have a feeling that life is much more exciting with Jedi around. Anyway, I should be returning to headquarters. Since Colonel Solo issued his new directives, we?ve had a curfew here. I would suggest you leave soon. It would be a shame if I had to arrest you already. Goodnight.?

With that, Reno nodded his head, took one last drink, and headed out the door.

?It?s not a bad idea, Jaina. We don?t want to cause any trouble here,? Zekk said. ?Let?s head back to the ship.? He hesitated. ?It?s?good to see you again, Fel.?

Jag merely raised his glass in acknowledgement.

Rising, Jaina reached out a hand as if to place it on Jag?s forearm, but withdrew it quickly. ?Goodnight, Jag. It is good to see you again.?

Jag didn?t move from the table.

----------

Café Imperiale was closing for the night. As Sa?am looked around

14. Princess Cambria

Princess Cambria Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2006
    Aw...the memories and that song. [face_love]

Wonderfully done.=D=

15. Lyne

Lyne Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 10, 2006
    I really only have two words for this post: Simply Beautiful.

16. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    Another brilliant update.

?She?ll be back, I know she will. She is incapable of leaving well enough alone. Besides, I have something she wants.?

Honey you have something alot of women want. ;)

17. reagan64

reagan64 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 26, 2006
    Nice.
    Hmm...KeyBed...I like it.

18. The_Burberry_Ewok

Oct 16, 2006
    PrincessCambria: Thanks!

Lyne: Thanks!

I really only have two words for this post: Simply Beautiful.

[face_blush]

Lola64: Thanks!

Honey you have something alot of women want

Doesn't he, though? Why do I always seem to go for that type...

Reagan64: Thanks!

Hmm...KeyBed...I like it

It's actually a "real" SW instrument. I had to look one up on Wookiepedia, and it seemed the most like a piano.

19. Maul Brady

Maul Brady Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 1999
    Ahhh. Ella Fitzgerald's version of that classic played in my mind as I read that bittersweet memory of Jag and Jaina. I like Jag in this fic. :D

More more more!

20. Flowerlady

Flowerlady Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    I loved this...Oh and the memory as it played out with the song was wonderfully done...simply beautiful...

Do you know if you keep writing like this you may just convert me....:p

I passed over a K/J story to read this one first....;)

Great job...=D=

FL @};-

21. The_Burberry_Ewok

Oct 16, 2006
    Maul Brady: Thanks!

Ella Fitzgerald's version of that classic played in my mind as I read that bittersweet memory of Jag and Jaina

She does have a great version, although I have to stick with the classic from the movie.

As for Jaina and Jag, it does make all of the little romantic moments in the NJO a little bittersweet, knowing what is coming.

Flowerlady: Thanks!

the memory as it played out with the song was wonderfully done...simply beautiful...

[face_blush]

Do you know if you keep writing like this you may just convert me....

Really? That makes it all worth it, then.;) :D

I'm going to try to get one more post up before I leave for Christmas...maybe tonight or early tomorrow morning.

Merry Christmas!
    BBE

22. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    That was so sweet!! I really love the flashback [face_love] And Jag's conviction that she'll be back . . . I hope so!! And I reallyy hope she comes alone . . .

23. Jessoass

Jessoass Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2005
    [face_love]Jag's amazing[face_love] Great post, can't wait for the next.

Jess

24. The_Burberry_Ewok

Oct 16, 2006
    NYCGurl: Thanks!

That was so sweet!! I really love the flashback

Oh, for the good old days! I had to work the song in somewhere, and Borleias seemed the natural location...and it will make such a good line later on[face_whistling] ;)

And Jag's conviction that she'll be back . . . I hope so

Oh, she'll be back.

Jessoass: Thanks!

Jag's amazing

Isn't he, though?[face_love]

Next post will be up either late tonight or sometime tomorrow!
    Thanks!
    BBE

25. The_Burberry_Ewok

Oct 16, 2006
    Chapter 5

Jaina Solo waited in the shadows outside the Café Imperiale. Staying in the shadows had become a way of life. Ever since she and Zekk had left the Jedi Order and turned their backs on Jacen and the Galactic Alliance, they had been on the run.

If she had known that her path would lead her back to him, she would have never stopped.

But as she watched Sa?am exit the café and lock the door behind him, Jaina knew that she would have to again face her past. A quick scan of Reno through the Force revealed that he was certain that the datacards with the GA codes were in Jag?s possession. Contained on those cards was the base cipher for every Galactic Alliance code, communication, and database. In short, whoever possessed those cards had the power to direct the war, either to end it or prolong it. Jaina wanted those codes not only for her own sake, for her own efforts against Jacen, but also to keep anyone else from getting them. If a two-bit smuggler or a wannabe warlord gets their hands on those?Jaina shook her head. She didn?t want to think about the consequences.

She waited a few moments before making her move toward the door; she wanted to make sure that the musician was gone and that no one else was around. The lock was no challenge to a Jedi. The internal mechanisms shifted, opening the lock. The sound seemed to echo across the empty streets.

The shadows extended into the café. Only hours ago, the room had been bustling with beings of every kind. Now there was only one occupant, sitting alone amidst the empty tables and upturned chairs. The almost empty bottle sitting on the table caught what little light there was in the room, creating amber waves that danced in front of the hunched figure. Even though his back was turned, Jaina recognized him. His shoulders stiffened at the sound of the door closing behind her, but he made no move to turn around.

He waited until she was directly behind him to speak. ?Back so soon? Surely you couldn?t have forgotten something.?

?I want?need to talk to you, Jag.?

?We don?t always get what we want, do we.? Finally he turned, just in time to see Jaina flinch at the slurring in his words. ?Besides, I?ve had five years to think about our last conversation. I don?t think there?s anything else to say. The best I can do is offer you a drink.?

?No thanks. I need to be on my guard.?

?Will it bother you if I have one?? Jag asked. He didn?t wait for her answer before pouring himself another glass.

Jaina stared at him. ?You?re already drunk.? In all the years that she had known him, she had never seen the stiff pilot so rumpled or so far gone.

Jag shrugged his shoulders and said, ?Then one more will hardly matter.? He took a drink and waited for Jaina to make the next play in their verbal game. The silence seemed to stretch out.

Eventually, she spoke. ?Let me try to explain, please.? He lazily waved a hand in her direction. Jaina took that as a sign to continue.

?When we met during the war, I was so lost. I was losing everything I had ever known- my home, my friends, my family. You were my rock, something I could cling to. I never doubted that you would survive the war, and I was convinced that I wouldn?t. When I did?I didn?t know where to go next. So I went back to those I had known the longest, those whom I had suffered the most with. We had a shared sense of desperation, a sense that I confused with community.?

?Apparently that little ?community? doesn?t like personal pronouns,? Jag snorted.

Jaina moved around Jag, settling in a chair that allowed her to look him straight in the eye.

?I meant what I said, Jag. I do still love you.?

Jag?s response was to reach down and bring his glass to his lips. After a long swallow, he finally replied. ?I had two years on that miserable planet with those words in my head. You want to know what I think? I think that you, Jaina Solo, have no idea what love is.?

?Two years?? Jaina asked in confusion. ?Formbi assured us that you would be recovered soon.?

?And because of your un

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.