main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends As Time Goes By (Casablanca as told in the LOTF Era) Winner -BEST CROSSOVER- Summer 2007

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by The_Burberry_Ewok, Dec 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solo_and_Fel

Solo_and_Fel Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2004
    Great continuation of the chapter!

All that was missing was a flashback sequence. :D

This is great. Still like the movie without pulling the Star Wars characters out of character.

2. Maul Brady

Maul Brady Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 1999
    Can't help but wonder if Jaina is using him, which would make me really sad.

Thanks for posting again, so loving this!

3. The_Burberry_Ewok

The_Burberry_Ewok Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2006
    Flowerlady: Thanks!

Jaina pulled her lightsaber on Jag... And then they kissed...what a great scene

What's a good Star Wars romance without the threat of violence?

And Jag letting Zekk get arrested...Somehow I think Jag has a plan.

Jag...A plan? What would give you that idea?[face_whistling]

Jasa: Thanks!

I knew she couldn't kill him

:D

Lola64: Thanks!

Oh Jag. :_| :( :_|

I'm holding a telethon for Jag...person who donates the most to my personal account gets to comfort himO:)

Don't believe her Jag. You'll get hurt if you do.
    *grumbles about Jaina's sneaky feminine tactics*

Are you so sure about that?o_O Whatever else you can say about Jaina, feminine wiles have never been her strong point.:p

Personally I say leave Zekk in detention. But that's just me since I want a happy ending. However, after Jaina pulled that scene up above I'm thinking maybe Jag should let her leave and take Zekk with her.
    I know that Jag will make the right choice. I just wonder what you'll let that be.

I'm sure that Zekk could rustle up bail...eventually. And don't worry, Jag'll make the right choice[face_devil]

Lyne: Thanks!

Emotional chapter. Can't wait to see what happens next

Oh, the emotion has just gotten into gear.

Solo_and_Fel: Thanks!

All that was missing was a flashback sequence

OK, here's my dirty little secret: I only read Dark Nest once and don't have the books with me at school. So, I didn't feel too comfortable trying to do a flashback of something I'm not sure that remember[face_plain]

This is great. Still like the movie without pulling the Star Wars characters out of character.

Thanks!

Maul Brady: Thanks!

Can't help but wonder if Jaina is using him, which would make me really sad.

Well, as I don't like to make my readers cry...

The end is coming soon, and you'll see then!

----------

Thanks Everyone!
    BBE

4. CallistaSkywalker85

CallistaSkywalker85 Jedi Youngling

Sep 8, 2006
    Great update [face_dancing] You are an awesome writer. You are sticking perfectly to Casablanca. I only hope the ending is different[face_praying] I won't ruin it for everyone. Just throwing it out there. Thanks for the pm. Keep the updates coming:)

5. The_Burberry_Ewok

Oct 16, 2006
    CallistaSkywalker85: Thanks!

You are sticking perfectly to Casablanca. I only hope the ending is different

We'll see...[face_whistling] You might be pleasantly surprised. Or not. :D

---------

Next post up soon!
    BBE

6. The_Burberry_Ewok

Oct 16, 2006
    Chapter 10

Jag had to repress a shudder as he walked into the Guard garrison on Ord Mantell. The looming walls and air of casual malice chilled him. Especially with what he was planning; if everything worked out as he assumed it would, there was a better than even chance that he would be spending a good deal of time inside those walls. Making his way to Captain Reno?s office was easy. Most of the guards were regulars at the Café Imperiale and knew him on sight. He walked into Reno?s office without knocking.

??will not stand for this!? Major Veidt pounded the desk in front of Reno with every word.

?Apparently I?ve interrupted something,? Jag said as he stepped further into the room. Reno turned to look at him with pleading in his eyes.

?Not at all, Jagged. We were just finishing up some?administrative details. Please join us. Sit, sit. Can I offer you a drink, turn the tables a bit?? Before Jag could respond, Reno was up on his feet, offering Jag the other chair in front of his desk, practically pushing him into it.

Major Veidt leaned back in his chair. ?Am I mistaken, Captain, or have you added Mister Fel here to your general staff? It seems that everywhere I go, he is there. With access to secure buildings and information, no less.?

?I?m merely a law-abiding resident, Major. I?m simply interacting with my local law enforcement.? Jag took a sip of the drink that Reno had shoved into his hand and matched Veidt?s pose. ?Surely you can?t take issue with that??

Sensing another altercation was imminent, Reno jumped into the conversation. ?Is there a specific reason that you have decided to join us today, Jag??

Unconsciously, Jag straightened to a perfect military posture. His entire demeanor changed- where before he had been belligerent and cynical, he was now determined and focused.

?I have come to discuss the possibility of a deal with the Galactic Alliance Guard.?

?Regarding??? Reno asked, answering Jag?s newfound formality in kind.

?I would appreciate some form of reassurance of my immunity before addressing that.?

Reno shot a look over to Veidt, who answered with a single nod. ?Consider such assurance issued. Now what is this about??

A sigh escaped Jag. ?As you have assumed, I have the missing codes in my possession. Now, I am willing to turn them over to the GA, uncopied and untampered with- under one condition.?

?And what might that be?? Major Veidt asked.

?That I be allowed to use them once, for myself and another. After that point-and only after that point- will they be handed over to you.? Jag?s hand tightened around his glass. ?And that is non-negotiable.?

?And the other person??

?Jaina Solo.?

?Out of the question,? Major Veidt bit out, resuming his previous position against the back of his chair. ?She is a wanted fugitive, one of the leaders of the movement against the Galactic Alliance. Were she to leave Ord Mantell, she would no doubt resume her rabble-rousing.?

Jag again matched Veidt?s position, shedding his formal air. ?And if I can not only assure you that she won?t, but shut down that movement all together? It would certainly bring your name to Colonel Solo?s attention.?

?Forgive me if I don?t believe that you have that power.? Major Veidt scoffed.

?Louin, you still have Zekk in custody, don?t you??

The captain, who had been silent during the whole exchange, answered Jag, a quizzical look on his face. ?Of course. He?s in our holding cells right now, awaiting charges.?

?Then let him go. I?ll give you the situation where you can charge him publicly with treason, datacard in hand. Let me speak to him. I can make him think that I am giving away the codes in a change of heart, helping him and Jaina to escape. When the exchange happens at the spaceport, you'll be there to catch him in the act.?

?And you and Jedi Solo?? Reno asked.

?We disappear. I still have contacts beyond Galactic Alliance space. She won?t bother you again.?

?It?s a very pretty plan, Jagged. Much more devious than I ever gave you credit for. I?m rather

7. Flowerlady

Flowerlady Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    I wonder exactly what Jag and Jaina have planned...[face_thinking]

I know they aren't really going to turn Zekk over to GAG

Great update and I can't wait for more....
    [:D]

FL @};-

8. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    We're coming to the end and I'm on the edge of my seat to see which way you'll go BBE.

I want Jag and Jaina together. But I don't want Jag hurt anymore. Maybe he'll do the right thing for Jaina or the right thing for the Galaxy. I think both of those is to let her go but I don't want her to go. :(

I might as well get my tissue box ready. I think I'm going to need it.

Oh and I forgot. Very nice update. Thanks for sending me a PM. [:D]

9. jasa

jasa Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2005
    J/J [face_love]!

10. Maul Brady

Mar 12, 1999
    Ahh this would be so nice turned into live action... *wishful thinking*

11. Solo_and_Fel

Apr 19, 2004
    Don't worry.... it was great even without a flashback.

I like this new spirit that's gotten into Jag. Jaina's given him something to make it worth getting up for in the morning. You've done a nice job of capturing that Bogart-ness of the original.

12. Lyne

Lyne Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 10, 2006
    As much as I would love Jaina and Jag to be together, she can't run from her problems. Maybe after she takes her brother down, she and Jag could get together.

Great chapter.

13. The_Burberry_Ewok

Oct 16, 2006

I wonder exactly what Jag and Jaina have planned...

A plan? But that goes against all the Solo genes...

I know they aren't really going to turn Zekk over to GAG

Aren't they?[face_devil]

I want Jag and Jaina together. But I don't want Jag hurt anymore. Maybe he'll do the right thing for Jaina or the right thing for the Galaxy. I think both of those is to let her go but I don't want her to go.

It's one of those horrible choices: do I do what I want or what I need to do? It's interesting when you've got a group of people like our heroes, who all have such a sense ofhte "greater good."

I might as well get my tissue box ready. I think I'm going to need it.

Yep. It's shaping up to be pretty emotional (at least in my eyes):_|

J/J[face_love]!

:D [face_love]

Ahh this would be so nice turned into live action... *wishful thinking*

Ah, man. Now you've got me trying to cast the movie...who can play both Jag and Bogie? That's a pretty tall order. Of course, I'm now going to be trying to figure it out. Oh well, it'll give me something to do when class gets boring.[face_whistling]

I like this new spirit that's gotten into Jag. Jaina's given him something to make it worth getting up for in the morning.

Jag's the type who needs a mission, a purpose. Everything we've been told about him says that. It's partly the reason that I don't buy Jag as the drifter/bounty hunter of Tempest and Exile (even if it is pretty cool). Simply trying to find Alema isn't enough. Either he underwent a huge personality shift or there's something that we don't know. Ten points for guessing which one I'm leaning towards...

You've done a nice job of capturing that Bogart-ness of the original.

Thanks. Bogart (or Rick) is a hard character to nail down.

As much as I would love Jaina and Jag to be together, she can't run from her problems.

"You can't run from your problems- you have to face them." (Sorry, couldn't resist the Sound of Music quote)

I agree- right now might not be the best time for them to get together. Although when has any Star Wars character ever waited for a good time?

Maybe after she takes her brother down, she and Jag could get together.

This family is so messed up, when time is measured by which one dies, who becomes a Sith, and who takes down that said Sith.

----------

The last post (sigh) will be up late tonight, and my first fanfic will be officially finished! I decided to go ahead and finish this one so that I can concentrate on Foreign Shores Unknown, which- believe it or not- is going on a regular posting schdule next week!
    BBE

14. The_Burberry_Ewok

Oct 16, 2006
    A little later than promised, but here it is: the last post of As Time Goes By...

Chapter 11

It was the quietest that the Ord Mantell spaceport had ever been. The travel ban issued by the GA Guard stopped almost all traffic to and from the planet. Only a few personal vehicles were being allowed to land and leave. As for commercial transportation, the last shuttle off the planet was scheduled to leave in less than an hour.

Jag and Jaina stepped out of the non-descript speeder that Jag had used while on Ord Mantell. He didn?t bother securing it. Whatever happens here, I won?t be needing it anymore, he thought to himself. Jag pulled his brown traveler?s cloak closer, then walked over to Jaina. Placing an arm around her waist, they started toward the commercial shuttle waiting on the landing zone in front of them.

Jaina turned under his arm. ?Didn?t you say we were taking a private shuttle?? she asked.

?We are,? Jag replied. ?We?re meeting Zekk here to hand off the codes.? Unconsciously, his arm tightened around her.

?I see.? She didn?t say anything more, although she seemed to be waging an internal battle. ?Jag, I?? she trailed off. ?Never mind. It doesn?t matter any more.?

In the distance, a solitary figure approached. Jag slipped his free hand into a pocket deep within his cloak. It wasn?t long before the shadows lightened enough to reveal Zekk?s lanky build and sharp features.

If he was surprised to see Jag and Jaina there together, with his arm around her, Zekk didn?t show it. Instead, he offered a cursory nod to Jag and a tight-lipped smile to Jaina.

?I understand that I have you two to thank for springing me,? he said.

Jaina shifted her weight uncomfortably. ?It was more Jag than me.?

?Still. Thanks.? Zekk glanced around the spaceport, taking in the long shadows and abandoned causeways. This planet was all too good at inducing paranoia. ?I?ll be happy to leave. Do you have the datacards??

?Halt!? Before Jag could move or even respond to Zekk?s question, Captain Reno stepped out of the shadows, gun trained unwaveringly on Zekk. ?You, Jedi Zekk, are under arrest by the order of the Galactic Alliance Guard for civil disruption and treason. Place your weapons on the ground and put your hands in the air.?

Zekk didn?t move. Instead, he stared alternately at Jag and Captain Reno with a kind of disbelief etched on his face.

?Oh yes, Jagged was quite clear as to where you would be and what you would be doing tonight, Jedi Zekk. It appears that love trumps loyalty.?

?Not so fast, Louin.? In the space between heartbeats, Jag?s hand appeared from his cloak, brandishing a blaster and pointing directly at Reno.

?Have you completely lost your mind, Jagged?? Reno asked.

Without a hint of humor in his voice, Jag replied, ?I lost that a long time ago. Now lower the blaster, Louin.?

Reno complied, dropping his stance. He held his gun loosely at his side. ?What do you think you?re doing here??

?I?m ensuring that these two will be able and free to stop Jacen Solo and whatever horrors he might dream up next. And I would suggest not raising that gun again- I?m altogether too familiar with the concept of shooting at friends.?

Jag risked taking his eyes of Reno to glance at the time. ?Jaina, you and Zekk need to board that shuttle quickly. You?ve only got a few minutes.?

?What? Jag, I?m going with you. We had it all decided!? Jaina exclaimed, studiously not looking at Zekk. ?Last night??

Jag broke in. ?Last night was many things, Jaina. We both said things we didn?t entirely mean- and some things that we did. Regardless, you told me to decide for us both. Well, I have. You once praised my strategic skills. Now the only course I see that makes any sort of sense is for you to board that shuttle with Zekk.?

As he was talking, Jag moved closer to Jaina. The world shrunk, leaving only the two of them. Even Zekk and Reno seemed enthralled- Zekk?s expression was inscrutable and Reno had forgotten the gun in his hand.

Jag continued, his voice colored with restraint. ?If yo

15. Maul Brady

Mar 12, 1999
    noooo, I was hoping they would blast away together!

Good job for your first fic. I was always excited to read new updates!

16. Lyne

Lyne Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 10, 2006
    I'm glad they didn't go off together. Jaina would be escaping just to get away from her problems. Besides, I'm sure they'll meet up somewhere like Bastion. [face_whistling]

Great story.

17. Mathom

Mathom Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 24, 2006
    I've decided to come out of my college-induced lurkerdom, to say how much I enjoyed this story. You really captured the characters' personalities and tied the whole LotF story to the Casablanca plot seemlessly. I especially liked the chemistry between Jag and Jaina. The tension was palpable and I really just wanted them to run off together, even if that goes against the intire point of the original plot... [face_blush] But now I'm ready for a Jag and Louin buddy film. Great job! =D=

18. jasa

jasa Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2005
    Congratulations, Jagged. We?ve both turned into Rebels.?

:p

Great job!

19. Flowerlady

Flowerlady Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    I loved the ending. :D

Wonderful job, TBE...=D=

FL @};-

20. Solo_and_Fel

Apr 19, 2004
    Congrats on completing this! =D=

Great job on the ending too. You really created that same tension of hoping Jag would leave with Jaina... even though I knew how it's supposed to end. I do like though how you gave them a chance at a future.

I think your ?Anything for you, Goddess.? was a good replacement for "Here's looking at you, kid." Jag just wouldn't call Jaina "kid" and she wouldn't react well to being called that either.

I also liked how one could find hints of Jag going to the Empire after this.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you've done a great job of keeping a balance between Casablanca and Star Wars. That's a fantastic achievement in itself.

Well done, TBE.
    =D=

21. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    Oh My!!!:(:_|=D=

I skipped right down to the end of the chapter. I just had to know. And then I cried while reading the end of your story.

It took me a few reads to be able to respond without balling like a baby. But here I finally am.

Though Jaina left with Zekk, you reasoned it brilliantly. Having Jag quote the Sword of the Jedi speech was reason enough for her to leave to continue her work.

And I must say that Zekk is a stand up guy here, much like I would rather he be instead of the third wheel jealous ex boyfriend in profic.

I'd like to see another Louin Reno and Jag fic, in the Empire. And perhaps Jaina and Jag finding each other again. [face_love]

Maybe some day you could do a sequal. :)

But until then, I'm going to save this story as one of my fave's. Great job BBE. I absolutely loved it.

And congratulations on finishing your story. =D==D=

22. CallistaSkywalker85

CallistaSkywalker85 Jedi Youngling

Sep 8, 2006
    :_| :_| :_| I can't believ it's over. Congrats BBE. You rock. If you start another fic, let me know. I love you're writing. I also like how you switched roles. Instead of Rick telling the husband "there was nothing between us", the husband or Zekk, told Rick/Jag that there was nothing between them. There is hope=D= Wonderful. As I already said, YOU ROCK!=D= =D= =D=

23. The_Burberry_Ewok

Oct 16, 2006

I was hoping they would blast away together!

I considered it...but decided to stay true to the ending of the movie.

Good job for your first fic. I was always excited to read new updates!

Thanks, that means a lot!

I'm glad they didn't go off together. Jaina would be escaping just to get away from her problems.

Channeling Mother Superior from Sound of Music: "You can't run from your problems, you have to face them." Even when that problem is your over emotional twin brother with control issues...

Besides, I'm sure they'll meet up somewhere like Bastion.

What makes you think that?[face_whistling] Regardless of what happens in the books, that's what happens in my own little world.

Mathom: Thanks!

I've decided to come out of my college-induced lurkerdom

You're preaching to the choir on that one!

You really captured the characters' personalities and tied the whole LotF story to the Casablanca plot seemlessly.

Thanks! It started on a lark and ended up working

But now I'm ready for a Jag and Louin buddy film.

I could always pull a Bing Crosby/Bob Hope...Road to Bastion anyone?[face_mischief]

I loved the ending.

Much as I would like to, I can't take credit for it. I think the last scene of Casablanca is the most perfect bit of cinema ever.

Congrats on completing this!

Thanks...I'm kind of proud of myself, if I say so myself...

I think your ?Anything for you, Goddess.? was a good replacement for "Here's looking at you, kid." Jag just wouldn't call Jaina "kid" and she wouldn't react well to being called that either.

There had to be something to replace "here's looking at you" and Goddess was the only nickname I could see fitting in there. Glad you liked it!

I also liked how one could find hints of Jag going to the Empire after this.

Legacy is one of the most interesting bits of EU literature to come out in years, I think. If for no other reason than that it gives all of us reasons to speculate six ways from Tuesday. Personally, I think that Jag is in fact the beginner of that little family line; the only question is who his wife will be. (If you can't tell, I have a pretty good idea of what I think should happen. Too bad the publishers don't call me)

I skipped right down to the end of the chapter. I just had to know.

Amen! My friends give me grief because I tend to read the last chapter of a book first. Spoilers don't bother me.

Though Jaina left with Zekk, you reasoned it brilliantly. Having Jag quote the Sword of the Jedi speech was reason enough for her to leave to continue her work.

Jaina, for whatever faults she has, has a very strong sense of duty. That's what broke Jaina and Jag up the first time, and it's the only thing strong enough to make her go now.

And I must say that Zekk is a stand up guy here, much like I would rather he be instead of the third wheel jealous ex boyfriend in profic.

Honestly, I like Zekk. YJK were the first SW books I read. I just hate the way he's been written in the NJO and beyond.

I'd like to see another Louin Reno and Jag fic, in the Empire. And perhaps Jaina and Jag finding each other again.

I'm tenatively tossing around the idea of a sequel. Currently looking for another classic movie to base it on.

But until then, I'm going to save this story as one of my fave's. Great job BBE. I absolutely loved it.

[face_blush]

CallistaSkywalker85: Thanks!

If you start another fic, let me know

See the end of this post...

I also like how you switched roles. Instead of Rick telling the husband "there was nothing between us", the husband or Zekk, told Rick/Jag that there was nothing between them.

Call me a hopeless romantic.

----------

Thanks for hanging around for the ride, guys

24. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    Yay for needing to do research. Sadly, I have yet to see Casablanca, I know, I'm bad. But I swear next time I'm home I'll borrow my sister's copy. Very nice how you modified it for Star Wars. It was a great and interesting read, and I can't wait to get into your other stories.

25. The_Burberry_Ewok

Oct 16, 2006
    Wow.

Best Crossover.

I'm really quite honored. I assumed that this would be something I just did for fun; I never really imagined that people would follow it. And beyond that, it's my first completed fic.

So this is my heartfelt THANK YOU to everyone who read this and voted for it. (I could throw in a gratitous Sally Field quote here...but no.) Seriously, thank you!

-BBE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.