main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Senate Asian Geopolitics

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Vivec, Feb 11, 2014.

1. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    The U.S. health secretary, Alex Azar, is on a visit for 3 days in Taiwan in order to learn how Taiwan has managed to contain the coronavirus pandemic under 500 cases and 7 death. But some analysts say that his visit also has geopolitical meanings, redifining the relations between Taiwan and the U.S. and between China and the U.S. since it is the highest-level visit to the island by an American diplomat in more than 40 years since the U.S. switched diplomatic relations from Taipei to Beijing in 1979.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  2. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    Darth Punk likes this.
  3. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    SW Saga Fan likes this.
  4. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    Speaking of mobilization of military crafts, there were recent events in the past few weeks occurring in the South China Sea, and this doesn't concern just the U.S., China and Taiwan, but the Philippines, Vietnam and Malaysia as well, something maybe to watch out:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  5. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    A newspaper owner in Hong-Kong who have fled from China years ago, Jimmy Lai, as well as a female student pro-democracy activist, Agnes Chow, have been arrested under the new security law for "collusion with foreign countries": https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong...y-founder-jimmy-lai-taken-his-yacht-club-hong

When I hear people in Western countries calling out the rules to wear a mask in order to avoid contamination from Covid-19 to be some kind of "totalitarian rule" or "dictatorship state", well I can only tell them that they haven't seen nothing yet when this is happening in Hong-Kong...

Gamiel likes this.
  6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  7. Princess_Tina

Princess_Tina Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    This isn't the first time he's been declared dead.....

Juliet316 likes this.
  8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 7

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah, I'm calling malarkey on that until they confirm themselves. It's not like they covered up when Kim Jong Il was dead.

9. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 12, 2002
    Let’s wait 20+ days to see.

10. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Shinzo Abe is resigning as Prime Minister of Japan, reportedly due to his declining health, although he had also seen a slide in polling recently. He is the longest serving Prime Minister in Japanese history.

It will be interesting to see what happens. He was a big proponent of revising Japan's constitution to be less pacifist, though that failed. Given that the previous 4 PMs served for barely a year each (between his two non-consecutive terms) will it lead to a return of brief premierships?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  11. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 6

Apr 25, 2004
    I'm not personally opposed to Japan taking a more proactive role regarding defense issues, but the way Abe went about it was wrong. He should have tried to build a national consensus about it rather than trying to ram through those constitutional amendments...even if the cost is doing it more slowly.

Also, his stupid obsession with Yasukuni Shrine and needlessly pissing off the Chinese and South Koreans...because I guess he wants to rehabilitate his grandfather or something.

Also, trying to suck up to Donald Trump was a bad move.

Maybe it could've been worse though, I dunno. Looks like Japan did weather COVID-19 okay-ish. And compared to the sheer insanity here in America, and to a lesser extent Europe, I guess Abe looks pretty good by comparison.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  12. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    Shinzo Abe was fighting a ulcerative colitis disease for years and his health conditions have been deteriorating recently. One can wonder if the handling of the Covid-19 crisis, the postponement of the Olympic Games, which has cost billions of dollars to Japan, and the growing diplomatic and military tensions between Japan and China may have played a role:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    Princess_Tina likes this.
  13. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Who's slated to replace him?

14. Lordban

Lordban Chosen One star 6

Nov 9, 2000
    Unknown at this time. It's going to be determined between the members of the PLD, which is divided roughly into five internal factions. Politics are ahead.

15. Princess_Tina

May 10, 2001
    Shigeru Ishiba, a 63-year-old hawkish former defense minister and Abe's arch-rival, is a favored next leader in media surveys, though he's less popular within the ruling party. Low-key former Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida, Defense Minister Taro Kono, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga, and economic revitalization minister Yasutoshi Nishimura, who's in charge of coronavirus measures, are widely speculated in Japanese media as Abe's potential successors.

Lordban likes this.
  16. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Probably a strategic resignation. His popularity was sinking (in a quite spectacular way) and that was threatening the Liberals’ grip on power.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Lucasfilm Ltd Mod star 10 Staff Member Administrator

May 25, 2002
    Stress from the issues mentioned above by SW Saga Fan could have exacerbated his colitis as well as the actual handling (or not) of them. He could have taken medical advice to step down.

18. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    2 months after the clash at the border between India and China, India has sent a warship in the South China Sea as some kind of "defiance" to Beijing. This comes after U.S. military patrol and exercise in the South China Sea: https://eurasiantimes.com/china-threatens-to-expel-indian-navy-warships-from-the-south-china-sea/

This comes also after the U.S., Japan, Australia and India held talks for some kind of "Quad" alliance in the Indo-Pacific region: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/08/29/national/quad-us-australia-japan-india/

19. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    It looks like India and China are resuming their border dispute by bickering at each other: "Who's to blame?!"

https://www.dw.com/en/china-india-t...y-provocations-at-himalayan-border/a-54847835

20. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I assume his racist and bigoted reign was catching up with him. Abe was a right wing nightmare that no one seems to talk about. Then again a lot of american liberals/democrats and some lefties dont know Orban let alone his danger

21. Princess_Tina

May 10, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  22. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Princess_Tina and Darth Punk like this.
  23. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    On a positive note, Suganomics sounds delightful.

Alpha-Red and GregMcP like this.
  24. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I just noticed your comment and I want to elaborate on this.

The LDP did pull this move before. Literally. With the same guy and the same excuse.

Back in 2007, Abe suddenly resigned from his PM position, following a sharp drop in polls due to corruption scandals from his Cabinet. Back then, the LDP also said it was due to “health issues”, which Abe shortly after said it was because of colitis.

I don’t want to imply that Abe’s medical situation is not serious. I just find the timing to be quite suspicious because it's like déjà vu. It worked last time on regaining public sympathy and it's working again. When Abe resigned in 2007, the Liberals also used that excuse to hold emergency elections instead of doing normal primaries. In this way, the establishment can elect loyalists to PM position while clicking on the reset button, so they don’t have to answer to the former guy’s corruption scandals. This also helps to keep the anti-Abe camp in the party away from power.

And, it's shady tactics like these that are keeping Japan's democracy in a kinda one-party system.

In this latest premiership, Abe was somehow managing to keep his popularity numbers up after the first, second, third corruption scandal associated to him or to his Cabinet (it’s hard to keep track of them). Then the corona came, which exposed the utter incompetence of his Cabinet, so when the Scandal #34 hit the newspaper, suddenly the public was not having it. Especially because now celebrities were taking to social media to voice their precious opinions. And you know, when a celebrity says something, it means it’s ImporTant this time. /s

(Oh and btw, there was another corruption scandal after that. It’s like a punchline now.)

As for Abe’s health condition well... I wish I could say I hope it’s not serious and that he gets better, but tbqh I find him such a garbage human being that I honestly don’t give a ****. Intestinal diseases are still horrible though.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  25. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    Like if 2020 wouldn't be weird enough...

After picking fights with India, now it's Taiwan?

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/mil...rts-military-drill-us-diplomat-arrives-taiwan