main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Asian Geopolitics

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Vivec, Feb 11, 2014.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    But you're acting like you're the only one who feels this way. I personally am from the US but I've been all over, and I hate the US for the most part. You're acting like you are the only person who could possibly feel this way.

Not only that, some of us have connections to other parts of the global south. For instance, my mom used to teach at a school in Zambia and I have friends there who used to be their students. So my concern about China buying up all their good copper land and exploiting the people there is also based in a personal connection.

That doesn't mean I ignore Rhodes and the evil things the west did there. But it just means I can keep that in mind while also continuing to criticize BOTH the west AND China.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
  2. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Sounds like North Korea flung a missile over Japan. It spooked the emergency systems of Hokkaido and people were told to seek shelter.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  4. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    There have been murmurs that a nuclear test might be planned for the near future. That would be bigger news. They haven't done that in quite some time.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Pyonyang certainly wanted people to think so, yes.

6. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
  7. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Rew, Ghost and Darth Guy like this.
  8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Oh it’s almost certainly got something to do with it. I am not worried about North Korea hurting anyone outside of North Korea well I guess if you can’t drugs that’s a different story.

SW Saga Fan likes this.
  9. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I feel like you needed a different word somewhere in that sentence.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Isn’t the US / South Korea scheduled to have a missile launch of their own as well?

As for the North Korean missile over Japan. The scary part was the missile alerts. Apparently people in part of Japan were issued a mass alert of an inclining missile on their phones. I’d imagine that would be a scary,

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Count. I don’t know what happened there.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Yeah, it's... so interesting that we find missiles flying over our heads from an extremely hostile nation to be way scarier than whatever missile tests allied nations are doing nearby. Maybe someone should write a thesis on it.

I do fear for my friends in Yokohama who live near an American base because that is a potential target for North Korea. They’re now looking to move to Saitama because of that.

13. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Really?

1. Announced tests are less scary than unannounced one by definition. That’s why movies use “jump scares”
    2. Firing into an ocean is different than firing towards a populated area.

The general point that military exercises can be threatening is good. The specific way you chose to make this critique is dumb and overwrought.

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    North Korea has done this for years/decades. They just want attention. We all know it's bluster.

15. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Again I am not concerned by this other than that it will hurt the fish. North Korea has done the same thing for decades. Kim won’t attack the south if he wants to live.

17. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    The buffer zone between North Korea and South Korea may not be such a demilitarized zone at the end of the day:

North Korea fires artillery shells near the South Korean border

18. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    This has happened before and nothing much has come of it, even when North Korea artillery hit South Korean settlements. Kimmy doesn't want the world to forget about the big and strong DPRK as Russia is creating turmoil in Europe and subsequently the China/Taiwan issue is brought to mind.

Maybe we should send Trump to tell Kim to settle down. They seem to like each other. Although Trump has an appointment with Congress soon.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
  19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    So I guess this goes here. BTS have announced, after a few years of being jerked around by the government about an alternate service, that they are all going to enlist in the South Korean military over the next year or so (service is 18-21 months depending on the branch).

This is a major middle finger to the Korean govt, who kept saying they'd discuss alternative service and really wanted BTS available to continue promoting SK tourism and industries (they are spokespeople for Hyundai, Samsung, and Fila). Instead BTS were like "nah we're sick of waiting, we're going in" without warning to the government before announcing it publicly.

As a fan, I think the exemptions process is clearly corrupt (the current president never served in his day, and the songs of industry captains also somehow get out of it), but I'm glad BTS took things into their own hands.

This has brought up a lot of discussion around mandatory enlistment though. South Korea has it for men for obvious reasons, but I'm still not sure why women don't at least have to do some civil service if not military as well. Of course the society would have to view women as equals which they definitely don't...

Anyway, BTS generate something like $3+ billion a year for the SK economy. One report showed 800,000 tourists who went to SK in a year went because of BTS (this was 7% of all tourists). They just held a (free streaming and free tickets) concert that got 49 million views. To say to the government "we know we should probably be exempted by your standards, but we're going to do what ordinary men have to and serve anyway" is really interesting to me.

20. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Craving for attention, eh?

"I'm sad to see that nobody pays attention to me because my buddies in Russia and in China are already making a mess around."

[​IMG]

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Don't know where else to post this...

There's been a crowd crush in Itaewon, Seoul, SK. 100,000 people were there for Halloween celebrations. Crowd control I guess was terrible because a crush started... Washington Post reporter is saying 120 are dead and that number will probably rise.

22. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Just create a thread about it. Tragic as it is, it doesn't really have anything to do with Geopolitics

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Well, maybe if it was K-POP related...

Point Given likes this.
  24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    China is banning social media posts that reference blank sheets of paper. No, really.

Apparently the newest form of protest is to hold up blank sheets of paper with nothing on them.

25. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    The ironical statement being "they can't arrest us for saying nothing, right?"

Yes, they can.