main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Asian Geopolitics

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Vivec, Feb 11, 2014.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2023
    Bor Mullet, Point Given and Gamiel like this.
  2. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    The Intercept has a secret cable documenting the US State Department pressuring the the Pakistani ambassador to encourage the removal of the former Prime Minister Imran Khan over his netural stance on the Russian invasion of Ukraine

I've quoted the body of the cable from the Pakistani ambassador published in the article

Last edited: Aug 12, 2023
  3. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012

The doohickey remains undefeated.

Point Given likes this.
  4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    So Pakistan is having general elections right now. As the resident JCCer of Pakistani origin (someone find darth_boy), I've had my eye on the situation a bit. I'm not going to bore you with a million links, just search keywords for stuff I've said if you want more info or think I'm wrong.

So, a reminder: Pakistan is controlled by the military behind the scenes. Yes, it has civilian governments, but the military holds the "deep state" power and routinely has done coups against civilian governments that don't follow its lead or tries to rein it in. As for the civilian government, there are two large political parties: The Pakistan People's Party (center-left secularists) and the Pakistan Muslim League (center-right conservatives). In reality, the PPP are largely considered to be a nepotist party run by one family (the Bhuttos, run by the current failson) while the PML is a weak party whose leader, Nawaz Sharif, has been ousted several times. Most people have largely negative views of both parties. Imran Khan was a famous cricket player (it's a British game, blame them) founded a centrist populist party called the PTI whose stated goals were to create a welfare state and have egalitarianism. And in 2018, they won big. They became the largest political party in parliament and Imran Khan became Prime Minister.

Pakistan is kind of in a precarious position, geopolitically speaking. India is its main rival, and due to the cold war India fell into the USSR's sphere of influence while Pakistan fell into America's. However, Pakistan was also very strong allies with China. When China and the US were "getting along" post-Nixon, this was fine. But now that there's a new cold war brewing between the PRC and USA, Pakistan has to walk a tightrope. And there are definitely a lot within the military brass there who think that Pakistan should be cozied up to the US because that comes with money and weapons. However that's easier said than done, especially with Bin Laden having been found in Pakistan. When Russia invaded Ukraine, Imran Khan had his government remain neutral on the conflict while India was indirectly supporting Russia. Now all you need to do is look two posts up to @Point Given 's post about what happens next here. The United States let it be known, behind the scenes, that it would be beneficial for Pakistan in the getting money and weapons part if the people whose hobby it is to remove Nawaz Sharif from power were to figure out a way to remove Imran Khan from power.

And that's what they did. In 2022 he was removed from his office via a vote of no-confidence. This was followed by an assassination attempt. After Khan blamed the chief of the army for the attempt, he was arrested on corruption charges. There have been massive protests and riots by supporters of his party. He has since been jailed for "revealing state secrets" because he revealed he had a diplomatic cable which said the US wanted him ousted from power. If this all seems above board to anyone, well I have a quantum tunnel to sell you. So we get back to the election happening right now. As further punishment, Imran Khan's PTI party cannot run under its party symbol, which is how one votes in elections in Pakistan. Every PTI candidate is automatically an independent now, and therefore this insurrection against PPP-PML musical chairs by the PTI ends. Or does it? People there have seen that it's possible to break the dominance the two parties have on politics. But they've also seen the system destroy this attempt with prejudice.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/live...24-live-tight-race-as-vote-results-trickle-in

Ghost, Bor Mullet, solojones and 4 others like this.
  5. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Thanks to 23andMe plus partition I have some Pakistani descent!

Ghost, Bor Mullet and Lord Vivec like this.
  6. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    worst 23andMe premium product

7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

Thanks for this succinct summary of what's been going on..typical US imperialism bull****. I like to know what's going on around the world though

Lord Vivec likes this.
  8. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    What's unreal to me is that right now you have Biden administration officials talking about how the Pakistani elections are not fair nor free and how there needs to be an investigation into attempts to keep PTI out of power after the Biden administration secretly told the Pakistani deep state that they need to remove Imran Khan from office and keep the PTI out of power. Surely Biden's dementia isn't spreading to the rest of the state department?

mnjedi, Ghost and solojones like this.
  9. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    mnjedi, Ghost and solojones like this.