main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Ask Biba-Fett (AKA Mrs Darth_Manos) Dressing A Galaxy questions

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Darth_Manos, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Manos

Darth_Manos Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 11, 2005
    Ok, I've set this up so that my wife will have a central point to answer questions about the costumes in the FIDM show.

Keep in mind that shes knew to the board.

She'll probably log on today or tomorrow. I figure that people can move the answers to the appropriate threads.

S_S edit: updated thread title

2. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Thanks Mr & Mrs Darth Manos for taking the time to do this! I hope the questions won't become too overwhelming ;) And I will understand that she's probably not an expert on the details of all the costumes and perhaps we need Trisha Biggar herself to get to the bottom of some things.

Here are mine thus far:

Padme's Golden Meadow Dress with Ribbons on the arms

1) How many layers are there on the skirt, and what colors and fabrics are those layers made of? I can see that there is an outer embroidered crinkled chiffon layer on the skirt. Is there another golden silk layer underneath this? If so, is it also chiffon, or a heavier silk? I believe I've also seen a light weight silk slip like lining ivory in color.

2) How does the shawl attach to the blouse? Hooks and eyes perhaps?

Padme's Purple Senatorial dress with African inspired cage-like headdress

1) What kind of fabric is the skirt and bodice made of?
    2) It looks like some kind of glitter gives the corded embroidery work sparkle. How is that effect worked into the embroidery work on the skirt and sleeves?
    3) Is the golden headdress cage made of solid embossed metal pieces, or is it a lighter weight synthetic material plated in gold the way that some of Padme's other headdresses were made? What is used to keep the headdress on the head? (Wig combs?)

Sabe's Black Queen Amidala decoy gown with black feather headdress

1) What kind of fabric is used for the velvety outer coat with the 3-dimensional points? (is it a velvet, or a knit with velvet yarns?)
    2) What treatment or technique was used to get create the 3 dimensional pointed effect of this fabric?

Thanks so much! I just love the exhibit and will be visiting the museum multiple times this fall :)

- Kay Dee

3. SWCostumer

SWCostumer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 31, 2005
    Thank you so much for doing this, especially for those of us who will not be making it to LA to see this exhibit.

Bail Organa's fur collared coat ensemble: What does the back look like in detail (shape/details of the tassel and the metal tip)? What fabic is the coat? Is the "fur" sheepskin or something else? And what color is it to the naked eye? The long tunic: What fabric is that? And what color?

Mon Mothma: How many layers is her dress? What fabric is the tabard made from?

Thanks again so very much!!!

4. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    First of all let me thank you, Darth_Manos, once again for all your help. You've been a terrific addition to our forum. :)

Secondly, I would like to give Bibagirl a very warm welcome to the boards. Thank you for taking the time to come here and talk with us. I think it's safe to say that any information you want to share will be greeted with immense interest and open arms.
    Many of us have spent literal years studying these costumes from photos, trying to figure out their secrets and the best way to replicate them for ourselves. This exhibit and the chance to hear from someone who worked with them firsthand is, essentially, wonderful. So thanks in advance for any answers you may give. We really appreciate it. :)

I guess I'll start by asking you if there is anything you can share about how Padmé's picnic dress was constructed, or any anecdotes you may know about it. Here are some more specific questions that I've been wondering about:

Padmé's Picnic Dress

5. How many layers of fabric make up the skirt? And what fabrics are the underlayers?

6. Do you know what the chemise looks like under the corset? Is it long and tucked into the skirt? Do you know how many layers of fabric it's made from and is it lined with something other than the outer chiffon?

7. On the front of the corset there appear to be 'cut-out' squares intermittently spaced around the embroidery. There is one that is almost dead center on the front center panel, in between the first and second clusters of roses down the middle. So many of us have wondered about these for so long. Do you know what they are? Literal cut-outs? Is there ribbon running through them or is it just the outer layer of fabric cut away to show the layer underneath?

8. Padmé's Silver Packing Dress

9. Do you have any insights on the decorative front panel? Was a lace appliqué used and then beaded?

10. Any idea how much yardage was used on the skirt?

11. And can you tell how many panels make up the fitted vest? Is it a short nap velveteen? And is it fully boned?

12. Thanks so much for any info!

13. bibagirl

bibagirl Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2005

Hi Kay Dee,
    You and your friends have quite a list already and I now have to re-examine some of the garments in question to get you the right answers...some I may not have answers for!
    I just want to start by saying that I felt very honored dressing the garments for this exhibition...it was truely a dream! Trisha's costumes are unbelievable...she is an amazing designer and was a pleasure to work with. I have been a Star Wars fan from age 6 when my dad took me and my sister (age 4) to see the first movie. He later had some Star Trek (yes I said Star Trek...that may be illegal in this forum!) fans who made costumes (in 1978) make him a full Darth Vader costume!!! He paid $800.00 for it in 1978! (that was a ton of $ back then!) I remember him getting it and going into his bedroom to try it on and a few minutes later Darth Vader came out of the room...(my dad was just standing there scaring us because we were convinced that Darth Vader was in our house!!!)...he didn't say a word (other than breathing like Vader) he motioned to us with his finger to come to him...we Screamed in unison! He then went back into the bedroom and a few minutes later he came out and said "what's wrong?" My dad freaked us out, but we loved it...he still has Vader's mask..the rest of the costume slowly died (they made it out of vinyl). So because of this I can relate to all of you...I don't make costumes myself (on the side I am a freelance fashion designer and have made lots of stuff for videos)...I know what goes into the long hours of trying to get something sewn...It is such hard work! And to duplicate something I think would take even longer!
    I will try to answer all of your questions...some I may not have the answers for, but I will do my best!

1. Padme's Meadow Dress: 2 layers to the skirt...top layer is a deep mustard colored chiffon with embroidery and flower shaped mustard colored sequins sewn randomly...the under skirt is attatched...I have to look at the color..it is light and I believe also chiffon.

2. The shawl attaches to the blouse only at the shoulder straps (two at front and two at back..it is then pinned at CF with the deco butterfly pin). It attaches by clear plastic snaps.

I have to look at the rest of your questions when I go back to work on Monday. One thing I can share with you is that the most important thing that Trisha uses is very expensive fabrics!!! Some of which were made for her by textile students just graduating from college in London...for exam

14. Sakara

Sakara Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 8, 2005
    thanks to you so far many of my questions have been answered, but these are whats left. Thankyou again for being able to do this for people who cannot attend this event

sleepless nights - the colour of the satin- bluegrey? slate? lavendery grey...i cant tell!
    how many sections in the front? (the bits that are seperated by the fagging)
    if you can see how low the back is as its normally covered by her hair
    the shoes if you can see, what are they like
    the barrett hair piece -photos if possible

looking at pics of the ATOC battleoutfit. what is the actual colour of the top and trousers..they dont look off white, but more beige/stone now! Maybe it was just the lighting but id like that confirmed for me

Is the Bultar Swan jedi costume there? if it is were having an discussion on the UKg as to wether her tunic is indeed green toned....can someone please help as im sure its green!!

15. bibagirl

bibagirl Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2005
    Hi Obi Dawn,

Thanks for the warm welcome!
    I'll try to answer everything I know and get you the answers for ones I don't!

1) Meadow Dress...read my responce to kay dee about skirt...the chemise is the same fabric as the skirt...mustard colored chiffon with embriodery and flower shaped sequins...it is tucked into the skirt and the corset goes over it. The cut out squares...I have to see...in the book there is a great detail photo of the corset and it shows the squares.

2) Padme grey apartment dress: Front panel is an antique applique with vintage beads, skirt...I don't know the yardage...there is a petticoat underneath out of silk taffeta to keep the shape, panels on the vest..I'd have to count. The bracelets were made by Ivo...they are very complicated to explain...he used elastic inside the bracelets so that they expand when they go over the elbow (but you can't see the elastic at all because he kind of overlapped the bracelet so it would be covered (does that make any sense?).
    Hope that helps! Bibagirl

16. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Thanks for the info Bibagirl! Your dad sounds totally cool, I'd imagine it was fun for your family to have him dress as Vader when you were a kid.

Thanks for the Padme Gold Picnic details! Ah, I had considered clear snaps as another option for the shawl. I had been tacking my ribbons on with clear thread, but a snap sounds easier since they often had to be removed when I'd wash it. I noticed the real ribbons looked like silk, and couldn't tell if they were matte due to wash and wear (the way that silk charmeuse will get a sandwashed look if you wash it) or if they were a thiner hand dyed type of ribbon. Finally, the outer layer of the skirt is so sheer, but there seems to be enough opacity underneath to keep the light from shining through her dress. So if you get to peak at the underlayers in the future that would be great (I'm making a much needed upgrade for this costume so any hints help greatly).

Thanks again so much for your time!

- Kay Dee

P.S. Oh heck I have one more Padme Purple Senatorial Dress (with African headdress) question. Is the support for the skirt a ruffled petticoat?

17. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    thanks for the great details! =)
    and thank you for being so kind as to answer questions for everyone.

I also have a question about Sleepless Knights gown..., what kind of stitching is used for the faggoting down the seams?
    ... and how do the drapes down the back attach to the straps?

18. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Just an idea, I don't know if bibagirl knows all the names we give the costumes (I did't even know which of Padme's nightgowns was nicknamed sleepless nights). Maybe describing the costume by something she'd recgonize (like nightgown with pearls on shoulders) would help?

- Kay Dee

19. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Thank you for the answers bibagirl. They are much appreciated!

It's just very heartwarming to know that you, as a longtime SW fan, get to have this incredible experience. And sharing parts of it with us is very kind of you to do. :)

20. Sakara

Sakara Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 8, 2005
    these are the costumes im refering to (cut and paste links)
    Sleepless nights gown
    http://www.padawansguide.com/padme3/lavender/bth.jpg
    AOTC battle costume
    http://www.padawansguide.com/padme/white/padme_white_promo12.jpg
    and Bultar Swan jedi knight
    http://www.padawansguide.com/bultar/bultarswan_bg.jpg

21. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Hi Bibagirl,

I just wanted to thank you and Darth Manos for feeding us all this information. It is so valuable and so appreciated. There are so many of us who have been trying to learn everything we can about these costumes. I've spent 5 years and a scary number of hours on my website, just pouring over the costumes. I've learned so much from it and made so many wonderful friends. And after devoting so much time to Star Wars costumes, it is so exciting to get the chance to see this exhibit, and to hear some of the details we've been missing for so long! So thank you for solving some of these little mysteries for us! And thanks for your hard work setting up the exhibit - I'm sure it was a huge undertaking for you and everyone else involved!

I'm interested in something you replied to Kay_dee about the Picnic gown - you said the sequins on the skirt and blouse are mustard colored? Are they really not white? The color of the sequins is something we've debated for a while! Would you have any idea if that chiffon came embroidered and/or sequined or if it's something Trisha's team did for the costume?

I know this costume isn't there, but I was wondering if you might have some insight as to why the AOTC blue embroidered Tatooine poncho with the blue crinkled underdress didn't make the exhibit?

On the orange and yellow flame handmaiden gown - the design on the sleeves - is that an applique or some kind of embroidery?

Is the ROTS green cut velvet gown sleeve lining the same fabric as the Amidala gray kimono sash? They both have the same diamond pattern though they are dyed different colors! On the green cut velvet gown, are there devore Naboo symbols on the back of the costume as well as up the front? Is the sash silk satin?

I'm sure I will have a ton more questions, but I don't want to totally overwhelm you!

Thank you so much again!

Maggie

22. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    I'd like to know anything I can on the Anakin costume, contruction, seams etc...and any other Jedi snippets I can get :)

23. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I know, I didn't want to contradict this but I looked at the costume for quite some time on Monday and the flower sequins looked white to my eye (and I'm not just saying that because I've been in the 'white' band camp. LOL!)

[image=http://kay-dee.net/fidm/pad-pic/pad-pic9-low.jpg]

The first of many photos to come in a few days :) Since no flash was used I don't think this white appearance was a reflection of the lights.

- Kay Dee

24. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    Wow, Kay_dee that is an amazing picture! You can see one of the larger embroidered freenish flowers there under the shawl too! You got great pics!!

25. darthdefyitall

darthdefyitall Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2005
    As would I. Specifically, details of the construction of the leather tabbards (i.e. construction datails, what the waist seams looks like without the obi over them) and if and where there are any hook and loop or fasteners to keep the tabbards on the shoulders.

26. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    Thought of a few more questions.

On Padme's light blue midriff gown: http://www.padawansguide.com/padme/cape/padme_cape_new2_m.jpg

The beaded piece in the front - are those round beads of something like labradorite? Are the swirled symbols painted on the little capelet?

On the blue "family" gown with the light gray cut velvet cloak:http://www.padawansguide.com/padme/secondblue/padme_blue_stoplatka1_m.jpg

Are those tiny shells on the bodice?

On the purple nightgown with the pearls - the hairpiece - is it a clip or a tiara of some sort?

Thanks!
    :)
    Maggie

27. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    Thank you bibagirl! It's so great you're willing to help us out. :)

And I second Maggie's question about the family gown...are they shells, stones, odd trim? I've been curious about that for a long time!

28. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Well I can answer those already...Tabbards were held on by velcro, leather tabards are 8 peices with an agled peice for the tabs under the obi :)

29. Darth_Manos

Darth_Manos Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 11, 2005
    HI,
    The aqua Tatooine dress has round vintage clear glass beads and I believe with a silver bead in-between...I'll see if I can get a close up of it. I don't know what Labradorite is, sorry. Yes, the cape is silk screened or painted.
    Yes, the family dress has tiny iridescent shells on the bodice. The back comes to a v into a pair of underwear (with hook and eyes/snaps) (under the skirt).
    The nightgown is a steel blue silk satin with a small tiara of silver (a bit bigger than a pony-tail at back of head...some of her hair is pulled through the top...I think it's about 3" across in a circle...I'll try to get a photo of that too (although it's kind of covered in wig hair now!). It has loops on it that bobby-pins go through to attach it to her hair.

Hope that helps!
    Bibagirl

30. bibagirl

bibagirl Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2005
    Hi,
    The color of the nightgown is steel blue close to a slate color if you ask me...and it's silk satin..I think there are 6 panels at front...of course this is all from memory...so I may need to take notes for you in more detail. I commented below about the tiara worn with the nightgown.
    The Padme action outfit is off-white not beige...
    We don't have the Bultar Swan jedi costume...sorry!

31. bibagirl

bibagirl Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2005
    I'll check on Monday...this is of course coming from memory...I really don't think the sequins are white...I thought they blended in with the skirt/top ...maybe off white?...I will look on Monday! I could be wrong...sorry!
    Bibagirl

32. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    yay thx for the info

I KNEW it was a tiara!! yay =)

33. bibagirl

bibagirl Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2005
    I'll look into this on Monday...bibagirl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.