main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

St. Lou, MO Astronomy

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by _Mike_, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Mike_

_Mike_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 20, 2002
    I am kinda into astronomy and was wondering if there was anyone else here who was into it. Seeing as this is a Star Wars "club"... (ok its a stretch [sp] but it works :p)

Also does anyone have a telescope? I have a 60mm (objective lens) refractor.

2. Jedi_Tabee

Jedi_Tabee Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 6, 2001
    I took an astronomy class... oh geez.. last spring. It was lots of fun :)

My brother has a telescope, but I don't know how strong it is, he's a lot more into astronomy then I am... I like astrology :p

3. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    You have just opened a flood gate. Wait until VoijaRisa catches wind of this thread.....

I'm a big fan of the Planetarium at the SLSC. I'm too lazy to get out me little telescope and look for myself.

4. _Mike_

Aug 20, 2002
    Last night, even through my tiny scope, you could see the bands on Jupiter and four of its moons... twas incredible, and you can see that Saturn has at least one large ring with a ball in the middle. I wish I could mount a camera on my telescope...

5. Sith-Kazar

Sith-Kazar Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2002
    I Love Astronomy!!!!! I have read so many books on it and I aced my coldge Astronomy with very little effort. I do own a telescope, but I never actually have got to using it that much besides just looking at the moon. I'm mostly book smart. However the software that I got with my class text is amazing: I can see the galaxy from any object (not just the Earth), I can zoom in and out, the planets and their moons are 3-D (they're so life-like it somtimes gives me the willies, and I can animate the sky to watch how the objects move over time. Its amazing!

6. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    Sith-Kazar: You using the Starry-Night program? It's a wonderful one. I keep it on my laptop so when I go to the observatory, I have something to help me find what I'm looking for.

On the weekend of March 21st, the Ozarks Amateur Astronomers Club participated in the Messier Marathon. We got most of the 110 objects viewed in the one night. A few were already set. But we used the CCD camera on the 16" scope to take nearly 300 images. I've processed a few of them. Here's two of them:

[image=http://s94958815.onlinehome.us/images/Messier/M1j.jpg]

[image=http://s94958815.onlinehome.us/images/Messier/m30j.jpg]

I'm working on processing the other images still.

But yeah, I love astronomy. It's my minor right now and after graduating, I'm planning on going to grad school to get a PhD in it after graduating here.

So if you have any questions, let me know. I'm planning on working at the Science Center this summer in the new space exhibit.

My interests are mostly in galactic evolution and cosmology. I'm also very into the lifestyles of the stars. Next semester I'm taking a coruse on the Solar System. Then all I have left here is Astrophysics and I'll have all the astronomy classes under my belt.

So let me know if there's anything you want to know about it. Just be prepared for me to spew for several paragraphs.

7. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I'm also very into the lifestyles of the stars.

Hosted by Robin Wossaname?

8. DarthShoey

DarthShoey Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2003
    I'm also very into the lifestyles of the stars.

Isn't it Robin Leach?

9. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Crap I knew I double did it.

10. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    That's it! I kept wanting to say Robin Colcord, but that's Cheers.

11. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    Lifestyle of the stars was a pun meaning I like stellar evolution.

12. _Mike_

Aug 20, 2002
    I want to at least major in it in College, it would be cool to get a doctorate in it. :D

13. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    You good at math?

And if you think you are YOU'RE NOT! Just wait until you experience the hell that is Calc 2...

14. Princess_Robin

Princess_Robin Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2001
    Astronomy is cool :) never took a class or anything in it though. My dad was always really big into it.

He is the one with the telescope with all the fun lenese and stuff...though I have seen Saturn and it's rings and Jupite's ring, and other planets and stars and nebulas. :) fun stuff

15. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    _Mike_ don't let Jon scare you. I'm in Calc 2, and it's nothing but fun. It is truly my favorite class.

On New Year's Eve, the SLSC had a viewing where you could look at all the planets, the moon, and major star-like things. I think Saturn was the closest it will be in a while. The rings on that thing are incredible! I didn't realize how well you can see them with a little telescope.

Oooo, does anyone else think future meeting idea?

16. quigon_brian

quigon_brian Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    I loathe Calc. My roommate already dropped it once and depending on what he gets on the test he took yesterday, he might be dropping it twice. [face_mischief]

17. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    though I have seen Saturn and it's rings and Jupite's ring

You can't see Jupiter's ring through Earth bound telescopes. You must mean the Galliean moons.

I'm in Calc 2, and it's nothing but fun.

Oh, so you're enjoying this vector stuff now?

I loathe Calc. My roommate already dropped it once and depending on what he gets on the test he took yesterday, he might be dropping it twice.

I dropped Calc I in HS. Retook precalc in college. Then did Calc I without any problems. Tried Calc II, dropped it a week in (mostly because I don't speak Chineese) and am taking it again now.

18. dudeman

dudeman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    so you learned ow to speak chinese?

19. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Dunno if we're doing vectors. We're working on limits again.

20. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    so you learned ow to speak chinese?

No, I took a different teacher who's Indian.

21. quigon_brian

quigon_brian Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    people that aren't in college don't realize that most math teachers don't speak the best english. a lot of times they have really thick accents

22. _Mike_

Aug 20, 2002
    Dadjuan- I'm sorry, but I believe that something is very wrong with people who have ANY math class as their favorite... :p

Jon- No, you're wrong, I am the best at math... I am better than anyone*.

*if: anyone = average preschooler

23. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Well :p to you to Mike! You're making a lot of typos there Mike, keep adding an extra "d" in my name. That's a new one.

EDIT: fixed the smiley

24. DarthShoey

DarthShoey Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2003
    I had a Chem. teacher back in college, Asian girlie, eeaassy on the eyes, but I couldn't understand half of what she was saying. Everytime she said "parabolas", it came out sound like "pair of bowlers".

I used to sit in the back and giggle uncontrollably.

25. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    The chineese teacher I tried to take would always say "tanning" instead of tangent. She would also always pronounce substitution as "sub-bust-ta-tooshin". There were quite a few others but I can't remember them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.